PDA

View Full Version : Lakers 2018 -2019 Thread (Now Fortified with LeBron James for Better Taste)

HeadInjury
July 1st, 2018, 05:22 PM
Welcome LBJ. Signs 4-Deal with Lakers.

Dexter
July 1st, 2018, 05:25 PM
I was here at the beginning.

TooCool
July 1st, 2018, 05:30 PM
Now if we can keep Randle and Ingram... yes!

HeadInjury
July 1st, 2018, 05:35 PM
I think they will try to get Leonard now. Ingram would be the logical choice for a trade with LBJ and Leonard on the roster. I would prefer if they could trade Ball and move Ingram to the point, as LBJ would take the pressure off Ingram in that role. But Pops isn't going to want to deal with that mess.

Randle can be retained now as they can go over the cap to sign him.

HeadInjury
July 1st, 2018, 05:55 PM
KCP has now re-signed for 1 year, $12 million.

HeadInjury
July 1st, 2018, 06:31 PM
According to ESPN, Lakers have $1.3 million in cap space, given Randle's cap hold. By my math, they would have $12 million if the stretch Deng, $14 million if they renounce Randle, and $24 million if they stretch Deng and renounce Randle.

They also have the mini-mid level exception of $4.4 million. Maybe use on Brook Lopez. Maybe on a veteran backup point guard.

Edit: Rumors that Lakers are interested in Nerlens Noel. He wouldn't come cheap. Also rumors that Chris Bosh is seeking medical clearance to return to playing and wants to join LeBron.

HeadInjury
July 1st, 2018, 08:23 PM
Lakers have added Lance Stephenson (apparently to be LeBron's personal ear blower) and JaVale McGee. Stephenson is getting $4.5 million.

CIrvine
July 2nd, 2018, 07:46 AM
LeBron needs a new nickname.

DRGinLBC
July 2nd, 2018, 07:52 AM
LeBron needs a new nickname.

Overpaid Baby?

ucsdguy1
July 2nd, 2018, 08:28 AM
Wait out Leonard until next season if San Antonio won't deal for exactly what you want. If he decides to pull a George, so be it and make a run at Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, et al next summer. How could George not even take a meeting with LA? Someone didn't want the pressure......

Cousins on a 1 year deal, maybe.

Also

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhEhYC4VQAAgrhi.jpg

Hkyfmly
July 2nd, 2018, 09:06 AM
So have ticket prices gone up 500% yet?

Hkyfmly
July 2nd, 2018, 09:15 AM
So how far up the list will he finish in 4 year? 2nd? defiantly 3rd ahead of Kobe. Does he have a shot at #1. (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1.) he needs 7,350to take # 1 so he needs 1,838 a season to do it. Is it possible?

Points Leaders
RK PLAYER PTS
1 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 38,387
2 Karl Malone 36,928
3 Kobe Bryant 33,643
4 Michael Jordan 32,292
5 Wilt Chamberlain 31,419
6 DIRK NOWITZKI 31,187
7 LeBRON JAMES 31,038

TooCool
July 2nd, 2018, 01:37 PM
So how far up the list will he finish in 4 year? 2nd? defiantly 3rd ahead of Kobe. Does he have a shot at #1. (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1.) he needs 7,350to take # 1 so he needs 1,838 a season to do it. Is it possible?

Points Leaders
RK PLAYER PTS
1 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 38,387
2 Karl Malone 36,928
3 Kobe Bryant 33,643
4 Michael Jordan 32,292
5 Wilt Chamberlain 31,419
6 DIRK NOWITZKI 31,187
7 LeBRON JAMES 31,038

Barring any injuries, if he only needs 1831 a season then it's easily do-able for him. That's an average of 22.41 Points Per Game. The only question is.. can he do it in year 3 and 4 of his contract?

TooCool
July 2nd, 2018, 01:50 PM
So what are the odds of Kobe coming out of retirement to play with Lebron? :lol:

ucsdguy1
July 2nd, 2018, 02:45 PM
Well.....goodbye Randle and hello, Rondo?

HeadInjury
July 2nd, 2018, 03:00 PM
Well.....goodbye Randle and hello, Rondo?

Stephenson, McGee and Rondo. We have cornered the market on guys with attitude problems.

ucsdguy1
July 2nd, 2018, 03:21 PM
Stephenson, McGee and Rondo. We have cornered the market on guys with attitude problems.
yeah, but they're going to be entertaining when Lavar opens his mouth

HeadInjury
July 2nd, 2018, 03:51 PM
Lakers have $5.67 million in cap space after today's moves. Could still stretch Deng. Brook Lopez is still available, although I don't know if he would take that big of a cut. Seems like a center is still needed.

TooCool
July 2nd, 2018, 04:25 PM
:lol: What the hell is happening to our Lakers.

HeadInjury
July 2nd, 2018, 08:48 PM
Word is that Randle met with the Lakers today and asked to be released. Not sure that he would have been effective playing with LeBron. Sorry to see him go.

CIrvine
July 3rd, 2018, 07:48 AM
Overpaid Baby?
As long as the word King isn't in it.

HeadInjury
July 3rd, 2018, 08:09 AM
Does Magic dare do this?

https://www.lakersnation.com/nba-free-agent-rumors-dwight-howard-interest-signing-lakers-lebron-james-teammates/2018/07/03/

Howard actually had a good season in Charlotte. I've read that he's hated in the locker room as much as ever. But we seem to be trying to corner the market on head cases.

He averaged 16.5 points, 12.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks playing 30 minutes a night.

DRGinLBC
July 3rd, 2018, 11:39 AM
Does Magic dare do this?

https://www.lakersnation.com/nba-free-agent-rumors-dwight-howard-interest-signing-lakers-lebron-james-teammates/2018/07/03/

Howard actually had a good season in Charlotte. I've read that he's hated in the locker room as much as ever. But we seem to be trying to corner the market on head cases.

He averaged 16.5 points, 12.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks playing 30 minutes a night.

Nope. Nope...and nope.

ucsdguy1
July 3rd, 2018, 11:46 AM
Does Magic dare do this?

http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/daniel-bryan-no-gif-4.gif

HeadInjury
July 3rd, 2018, 02:45 PM
Denver just traded Wilson Chandler to Philly for a couple of second rounders and cash. Chandler makes $12.8 million and getting rid of his salary saves Denver $50 million. The salary plus $37 million in luxury tax.

Lakers might want to consider swapping Deng for another less bad contract and a pick. Such as Deng and a 1st rounder for Plumlee, who makes $6 million less per year and has two years left like Deng.

Dwight Howard is supposedly signing with the Wizards.

HeadInjury
July 3rd, 2018, 03:06 PM
Depth Chart as things stand now.

PG: Lonzo, Rondo
SG: KCP, Hart, Mykhailiuk
SF: Ingram, Stephenson, Deng
PF: LeBron, Kuzma, Wagner
C: McGee, Zubac

Two-Way: Caruso, Newman

Obvious weakness is at center. McGee has asthma and has not played a ton of minutes. We will probably play a lot of small ball, but bringing back Lopez would be a nice addition if he will sign for the remaining cap space. Then sign a vet guard that can shoot for the minimum to complete the roster.

HeadInjury
July 8th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Vegas Summer League is back.

Lakers blew out Philly 96-79. Josh Hart was a man among boys out there with 24 points. The big surprise was 2nd round pick Svi Mykhailiuk with 17 points, including 4-8 from the 3. He looks like an NBA player. Beautiful stoke. Mo Wagner had 16. Also a nice looking shot.

In a surprise (to me at least) the Lakers signed Isaac Bonga to a 3-year deal. I thought he was going to be a draft and stash player, but they must really like him. He looked awful last night, but I think he just arrived and they threw him in there without much in the way of practice.

After Mykhailiuk gets signed the Lakers will have about $5 million in cap space, which must be spent in order to sign Stephenson to the room exception. No word if they are thinking of bringing back Brook Lopez. They might be keeping their options open for now as with that $5 million in cap space, if they trade Ingram and picks for Leonard and stretch Deng, they can fit Leonard into their cap space. Doesn't look like that trade will happen though and I hope it doesn't. There are a number of max players available in free agency in a year and it's not Leonard or bust. I'd keep our young players for now, particularly given the uncertainty around Leonard's injury and the real possibility that he is a head case.

Edit: Lopez just signed with the Bucks for $3.5 million. Seems pretty obvious that Magic and Pelinka didn't want him back for some reason.

TooCool
July 8th, 2018, 01:26 PM
I wonder if I would have been stoked about the Summer League if it existed back when I was a kid or teenager. Unfortunately I can't give a damn about it now. If I see the score I'll be like, "Okay". Sweet.

But thanks for the report though!

HeadInjury
July 8th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Only started paying much attention to summer league last season. Wasn't planning to watch it last night but stumbled across it and they looked pretty good to my surprise.

HeadInjury
July 10th, 2018, 01:52 PM
Lakers now have everyone formally signed. 14 guaranteed contracts. Were able to sign Stephenson, McGee, Mykhailiuk and Bonga using their cap space, so they still have a $4.3 million room exception available. This means that a Ingram for Leonard deal with Deng being stretched no longer works as the Lakers wouldn't have enough cap space for Leonard's contract. So Deng would have to be traded out in all likelihood for a trade to work. Probably not in the cards.

HeadInjury
July 13th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Lakers are now 4-0 in Vegas Summer League, and have won 10 in a row going back to last year.

TooCool
July 16th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Lakers are now 4-0 in Vegas Summer League, and have won 10 in a row going back to last year.

Weren't the Lakers Summer League Champs last year? :lol:

HeadInjury
July 16th, 2018, 12:41 PM
Yes. We're 5-0 now and playing Cleveland tonight. Winner plays in the finals.

Repeat?

HeadInjury
July 17th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Lakers' summer league squad won again and is now 6-0. Play tonight against Portland for the summer league title. Lakers are without Wagner and now Caruso. Last night was a wild game against Cleveland that went to double OT. Hart had 37 and Mykhailiuk (pronounced "Ma-Kai-Lou") had 31, including 6 of 11 on 3-pointers. The announcers called it "the greatest summer league game of all time" and it very well may have been. I saw most of the 4th quarter and the overtimes and it was good, fun basketball. Sexton is a nice addition to the Cavs.

HeadInjury
July 18th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Hart gets Summer League MVP honors, but Lakers lost in the finals.

San Antonio traded Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green to the Raptors for DeMar DeRozan, another player and a 1st round pick. All the talking heads seem to agree that Leonard won't stay there beyond this season. So the Raptors get out of DeRozan's contract and could trade Leonard at some point or hope they can convince him to stay like OKC did with PG13.

HeadInjury
July 24th, 2018, 04:08 PM
The Lakers signed Michael Beasley to a one-year deal and have now signed Travis Wear to a two-way contract. So they have 15 guaranteed contracts and two players signed to two-way deals, meaning the roster is complete.

Doesn't look like they are going to try to do anything with Deng. Will probably wait to the start of next summer's free agency to try to move him. They can offer about $5 million in cash then as part of a deal to help offset his $18.8 million salary in his final season. Trading a couple of late first round picks and cash should help them find a taker.

HeadInjury
September 4th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Lakers reached terms with Deng on a buyout. Deng agreed to forfeit $7.5 million of his remaining salary, which is pro-rated over the last two years of his deal. Lakers will pay his salary this season and then stretch the final year of his contract over three seasons.

Per NBA CBA wizard Larry Coon, it works out like this:

2018-19: Deng's cap number drops from $18,000,000 to $14,332,518. (Creates a roster spot, but Lakers can only offer the vet minimum as they are still out of cap space.)

2019-20: Deng's cap number drops from $18,810,000 to $4,992,994. Lakers cap room increases from about $23.9 million to about $36.8 million.

2020-21: Deng's cap number is $4,992,994.

2021-22: Deng's cap number is $4,992,994.

Lakers can now offer someone a max contract next season and still have all their future 1st round picks. Deng gave up a lot, but if he plays the next two seasons at the vet minimum, he gets about half of it back. The Lakers' strategy of letting Deng know he would rot on the bench for the remainder of his contract seemed to have paid off.

I believe the only players left from the Jim and Mitch days are Ingram and Zubac.

I was critical of the Magic hire as it seemed like a classic Jeanie Buss move: Make the popular decision that would bring her the best PR. But give her, Magic and Pelinka credit. This team will be competitive this year and elite next year if they land Leonard, Durant or Butler next off season.

TooCool
September 26th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Starting to get pumped up about the upcoming regular season.

Here's hoping we see Kuzma and Ingram up their game.

TooCool
October 19th, 2018, 07:42 AM
Watched the opener last night... my quick thoughts.

Lebron - Okay, he was pretty exciting to watch. He didn't take command as much as I expected him to, but probably because it was the 1st game.

Ball - Sucked. Once he got subbed in, the Lakers immediately fell behind.

Kuzma - He looked good in the 1st quarter but all these weird substitutions just kind of made him cold.

Ingram - This dude was ice cold in the 1st half. That may have cost us the game because he kept chucking shots even though it wasn't going in.

Hart - Compared to KCP, Hart was easily way better. I was pleasantly surprised at how well he can shoot. Hopefully it's not a fluke.

My biggest gripe about the game in general was how bad they were at 3pt shooting. If you're all ice cold shooting 3s, then stop chucking those shots. It's simple basketball IQ is it not? But I guess in today's NBA, they don't care. All the points in the paint they were getting was good, I just wished they would keep attacking it instead of settling for the jumpers. Overall, not bad I guess. At least they were in it for like 40 minutes of the game instead of previous seasons when it's over by halftime.

ucsdguy1
October 19th, 2018, 07:51 AM
Watched the opener last night... my quick thoughts.

Lebron - Okay, he was pretty exciting to watch. He didn't take command as much as I expected him to, but probably because it was the 1st game.

Ball - Sucked. Once he got subbed in, the Lakers immediately fell behind.

Kuzma - He looked good in the 1st quarter but all these weird substitutions just kind of made him cold.

Ingram - This dude was ice cold in the 1st half. That may have cost us the game because he kept chucking shots even though it wasn't going in.

Hart - Compared to KCP, Hart was easily way better. I was pleasantly surprised at how well he can shoot. Hopefully it's not a fluke.

My biggest gripe about the game in general was how bad they were at 3pt shooting. If you're all ice cold shooting 3s, then stop chucking those shots. It's simple basketball IQ is it not? But I guess in today's NBA, they don't care. All the points in the paint they were getting was good, I just wished they would keep attacking it instead of settling for the jumpers. Overall, not bad I guess. At least they were in it for like 40 minutes of the game instead of previous seasons when it's over by halftime.
Their defense was spot on amazing all game.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1VKm6rqyX10HK/giphy.gif

HeadInjury
October 19th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Portland never loses home openers. They have some crazy stat on that. So I was expecting a loss. Didn't get to see the whole game. With so many new pieces it will take a little time to figure things out. This is a work in progress and next year KCP hopefully is replaced by another max player. Not that he will come, but imagine this team with Klay Thompson instead of KCP.

ucsdguy1
October 22nd, 2018, 11:31 AM
Let's just make sure everyone appreciates anthony kiedis

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/10/rhcp-anthony-kiedis-kicked-out-lakers-watch/?fbclid=IwAR2nex6gL24GCRv5nEKHgI98w5OJZL5tP3sJG3aS OoWwiub_YGdNBb2RM4Y

Kings7
October 29th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Lowkey rumors that Ingram could be on the trade block! Today he says he won't come off the bench. Dude has not looked that impressive thus far!

HeadInjury
October 31st, 2018, 10:14 AM
Lakers look promising in my opinion. It's going to take some time to get everyone accustomed to one another. Since the first two losses, both by 9 points, they've had a chance to win every game.

TooCool
November 1st, 2018, 09:02 AM
Lakers look promising in my opinion. It's going to take some time to get everyone accustomed to one another. Since the first two losses, both by 9 points, they've had a chance to win every game.

I agree. Rather than knowing they've already lost by halftime... they hang in there until the final 2-3 minutes of the game. I just wished they'd tighten up their defense, then they would be okay.

HeadInjury
November 3rd, 2018, 10:45 PM
Lakers beat Portland in Portland to the first time in years, but nearly blew a 20-point lead with about 6 minutes left.

Woj reporting that Tyson Chandler will be signing with the Lakers after being bought out by the Suns. Should help some.

HeadInjury
November 12th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Lakers improve to 7-6 after their 0-3 start, beating Atlanta last night. Chandler had a great block at the end to save the game.

The team is not playing great but is finding ways to win, which is something.

Chandler has played a key role in all 3 games he has played.

HeadInjury
November 20th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Lakers are now 9-7, with LeBron having two monster games out of the last three. But they continue to play iso ball down the stretch (give it to LeBron and watch) and tend to struggle as a result.

Team is definitely improving and dealing with Rondo's absence fairly well.

Lonzo really can't shoot. 38% from the field, 34% from the 3 and 62% from the line.

HeadInjury
December 1st, 2018, 12:20 PM
Lakers win both ends of a back to back to improve to 13-9. They are tied for 6th in the West, but everyone is bunched together. They are 2.5 games behind the Clippers for 1st and 3 games ahead of San Antonio for 14th.

Ball had a nice defensive game with 5 steals. You can see him fitting in long term as as a facilitator offensively where he's the 4th or 5th option. He would be so more effective if he could make 3 pointers.

The team really doesn't have a second option. The youngsters have a long way to go. Ball, Kuzma and Ingram are all shooting around 30% from the 3. Ingram's game does not mesh well why James. His efficiency is much higher when James is sitting.

Hopefully, Magic has the patience to wait until the off season to see if a KD or KL will sign as a free agent, instead of trading some of our young players for a second option now. I imagine it's hard to give up on a championship this season with LeBron playing so well, but this is not their year.

chaingunsofdoom
December 4th, 2018, 10:39 AM
I don't follow basketball... but 7-Eleven up here now has NBA Slurpee cups. Not sure these are down in the USA?

https://imgur.com/gallery/XB892Nc

Had to get Raptors being in Canada, but they have 'the Top 6 teams', so Lakers, Rockets, Celtics, Steph's Team and I'm not sure who number 6 was.

32 oz size cups are made by Dynamic Drinkware USA and dishwasher safe top rack.

HeadInjury
December 26th, 2018, 02:12 PM
After blowing a 19-point lead, Lakers turned it around and destroyed the Warriors yesterday in an epic blowout on national TV (highest rated X-Mas game ever). All without LeBron who left with a groin strain in the 3rd quarter. He is listed as day-to-day but won't travel to Sacramento for Thursday's game.

Lakers are 4th in the West, 2.5 games out of first but only 2 games ahead of 9th place.

HeadInjury
January 6th, 2019, 09:14 PM
Lakers really struggling with LeBron, Kuzma and Rondo out injured. Lost their third straight and are down to 8th place in the West, only 1 game ahead of Utah for the final playoff spot. Things will obviously improve when LeBron and Kuzma return, presumably before too long.

Lonzo had 0 points today. He is shooting 33% from the 3 and an insanely bad 43% from the line. I think it's fair at this point to at least raise the possibility that he is a bust, at least in terms of having been a second overall pick. There is no progression in his game this year. Ingram's game is also a mess. There have been some who suggested that the Lakers should trade Ball and Ingram (plus picks and fillers) to New Orleans in a Anthony Davis trade. At this point, I can't see why New Orleans would have any interest in such a trade.

HeadInjury
January 15th, 2019, 11:51 AM
Lakers have lost 7 out of 10 and have fallen out of a playoff spot. Update on LeBron expected tomorrow. This is not a competitive team without LeBron and cannot contend for a championship with the free throw and 3-point shooting skills of its roster. Changes will have to be made beyond getting another max free agent in the offseason.

HeadInjury
January 22nd, 2019, 09:29 AM
Lakers showed some spunk in games against OKC (OT win) and Houston (OT lost). Lonzo suffered a high ankle sprain in the Houston game and is out for about 6 weeks. Without LeBron, Rondo and Lonzo, the Lakers predictably were blown out by Golden State. Apparently, Rondo will be back for Thursday's game and LeBron is probably within a week of returning. So hopefully the team will get back into a playoff spot while Lonzo heals.

Houston traded Carmelo to the Bulls, who he will not play for. Apparently, the Bulls are hoping to trade him and get something in return. Lakers are supposedly interested but not wanting to depart with anyone on the 15-man roster at the moment. I can't think of anyone on the 15-man roster I'd want to give up for Carmelo. He doesn't play defense and can't shoot anymore. I think guys like Stephenson and Beasley are more valuable than him and trading a player like Wagner or Svi to open a roster spot doesn't seem to make sense. So I'm hoping Carmelo goes title chasing and ends up with Golden State and enjoys his view from the bench.

Zubac is playing so well that some fans are worrying that the Lakers won't be able to re-sign him. His qualifying offer is $1.9 million. The concern is that he'll get an offer as a restricted free agent way above that and the Lakers won't be able to match as they need the money to sign a max free agent. If Zubac will play ball and agree to a modest deal for one more year, then the Lakers could go over the salary cap a year from now to re-sign him to something substantial.

HeadInjury
January 28th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Rich Paul, the agent for Anthony Davis, has notified New Orleans that his client will not re-sign and is requesting a trade. He is under contract for another year so New Orleans doesn't have to trade him, but don't be surprised if he is moved by the February 7 deadline.

New Orleans doesn't need a point guard, so if the Lakers are involved, it would probably be a package built around Kuzma, Ingram and picks.

For salary cap purposes, a trade involving KCP, Kuzma, Ingram and one of Zubac, Hart or Wagner will work. KCP can block any trade so Lakers probably would need to get a third team involved. For example, trade him to Houston and the Rockets could send Brandon Knight's expiring contract to New Orleans.

HeadInjury
January 31st, 2019, 10:48 AM
According to Woj, Anthony Davis has now effectively asked to be traded to LA, letting it be known that he will treat a trade to any other team as just being a one-year situation and he'll then sign with LA in 2020.

Hard to wait until then with no guarantee he would actually come. He obviously wants to be traded now and if the Lakers don't back up the truck and offer New Orleans a deal it can't refuse , Davis might pull a Paul George and say he lost interest after the Lakers did not trade for him.

There are actually people out there saying the Lakers should offer everyone: Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart and Zubac. That wouldn't work cap-wise and they'd have to throw in either Stephenson or Beasley. That's crazy.

HeadInjury
January 31st, 2019, 03:13 PM
Porzingis traded by the Knicks to Dallas. New York shipping out some other contracts so they can now have two max slots in the summer.

Dennis Smith Jr. is the main piece going the other way. Interestingly, DeAndre Jordan is one of the players going to the Knicks. Is this Mark Cuban's revenge on him for backing out of signing a few years back?

HeadInjury
February 1st, 2019, 07:50 AM
LeBron returns and Lakers beat the Clippers in overtime. Stephenson with a great game and a great flying elbow to the jaw of Marjanovic that he got away with (and they called a foul on Marjanovic to add insult to injury). LeBron looked rusty. They had a 14-point lead in the 3rd and blew it in typical Lakers fashion. A fortunate win, but important as they are now 1 game out of a playoff spot instead of 3.

ucsdguy1
February 1st, 2019, 02:39 PM
LeBron returns and Lakers beat the Clippers in overtime. Stephenson with a great game and a great flying elbow to the jaw of Marjanovic that he got away with (and they called a foul on Marjanovic to add insult to injury). LeBron looked rusty. They had a 14-point lead in the 3rd and blew it in typical Lakers fashion. A fortunate win, but important as they are now 1 game out of a playoff spot instead of 3.

Let's get to 2/8 already so we can put this "AD for everyone" crap behind us and show we're a #2 worthy seed in the West once all are healthy.

https://media.giphy.com/media/4AjWXJ8WjrK2Q/giphy.gif

HeadInjury
February 4th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Latest rumor, from a credible reporter (Brad Turner - LA Times) says the Lakers have offered Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Rondo, Stephenson, Beasley, and 2 1st round picks. Also offering to take back Solomon Hill who is owed $13 million next year. Elfrid Payton supposedly coming back too.

So the remaining youngsters would Hart, Zubac, Wagner and Svi. We'd have 3-4 open roster spots which we'd fill up with waived/bought out players? Carmelo come on down.

Doesn't make any sense to me. We trade our 3 primary ball handlers other than LeBron? Is the plan for New Orleans to waive the expiring players and maybe they re-sign here?

Edit: Actually Brad Turner isn't with the Times. That's Broderick Turner. Brad Turner is a Lakers reporter who has some connections with the Pelicans. But ESPN is confirming that Ball, Kuzma and Ingram have all been offered.

ucsdguy1
February 4th, 2019, 03:45 PM
Latest rumor, from a credible reporter (Brad Turner - LA Times) says the Lakers have offered Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Rondo, Stephenson, Beasley, and 2 1st round picks. Also offering to take back Solomon Hill who is owed $13 million next year. Elfrid Payton supposedly coming back too.

So the remaining youngsters would Hart, Zubac, Wagner and Svi. We'd have 3-4 open roster spots which we'd fill up with waived/bought out players? Carmelo come on down.

Doesn't make any sense to me. We trade our 3 primary ball handlers other than LeBron? Is the plan for New Orleans to waive the expiring players and maybe they re-sign here?

That's a steep, steep give.

HeadInjury
February 5th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Lakers have withdrawn from the Anthony Davis sweepstakes according to the LA Times. They claim the Lakers had offered to send their entire young core of Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart and Zubac to the Pelicans, as well as KCP (having included him in place of Rondo, Stephenson and Beasley), and 2 first round picks. The Pelicans supposedly demanded 4 first rounders and 4 second rounders be included.

The Lakers offer is simply insane. Davis isn't worth it. From New Orleans perspective, I think they may feel that none of the individual players are good enough and a quantity over qualify trade isn't what they should settle for. They know they can still trade him in the offseason, so they are in no particular rush.

ucsdguy1
February 5th, 2019, 03:20 PM
Lakers have withdrawn from the Anthony Davis sweepstakes according to the LA Times. They claim the Lakers had offered to send their entire young core of Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart and Zubac to the Pelicans, as well as KCP (having included him in place of Rondo, Stephenson and Beasley), and 2 first round picks. The Pelicans supposedly demanded 4 first rounders and 4 second rounders be included.

The Lakers offer is simply insane. Davis isn't worth it. From New Orleans perspective, I think they may feel that none of the individual players are good enough and a quantity over qualify trade isn't what they should settle for. They know they can still trade him in the offseason, so they are in no particular rush.

The Lakers' offer is totally insane. And the fact that New Orleans wanted 4 first rounders tells me they had absolutely no desire to trade with LA anyway, or they're just way, way out there. I wonder how much of all these stories going around are true or just sources pulling info one way or another. You hope it doesn't damage the psyche of the young guys. Man you wonder whether the Lakers have any recourse for cross collusion against them from the rest of the league (mostly kidding).

In a weird way I wonder if this isn't all leaking so the Lakers show they're dead serious about a superstar (a la PG's feelings hurt they didn't "really" try to trade for him when they had the chance), and in back rooms Magic still telling the young guys "relax you're our guys, don't listen to the noise".

Shelburne saying the Lakers have interest in Ariza if he were made available.

So roll with who you've got. Hope you get in the playoffs and make showing, and go after Kyrie in the offseason :)

HeadInjury
February 5th, 2019, 07:17 PM
Lakers lose to the Pacers by 42 points, which totally had nothing to do at all with nine of the players on the team finding out in the last couple of days that the Lakers had offered to trade them in at least one of their offers to the Pelicans. Pacer fans were chanting to Ingram "LeBron's going to trade you!" while he shot free throws.

And Pacer fans chanted "Not Worth Trading" when McGee shot free throws.

HeadInjury
February 5th, 2019, 10:51 PM
Multiple reporters saying the Lakers are trading Svi and a 2021 second round pick to the Pistons for Reggie Bullock.

He's shooting 38% from the 3 and 87% from the line. Averaging 12 points a game.

So it's a short-term upgrade. His contract is up this year.

I guess the Lakers didn't want Svi to feel left out when they trade all the other youngsters.

HeadInjury
February 8th, 2019, 07:53 AM
Lakers trade Zubac and Beasley to the Clippers for Mike Muscala. Muscala is a forward who can shoot the 3 (although only 34% this year) and shoots 87% from the line.

If you're wondering why they make this trade it's about clearing cap space for free agency. Bullock and Muscala have expiring contracts. Svi is under contract for next year and Zubac will have a cap hold. With them off the books, the Lakers can have up to $38.7 in cap space if they trade their first round pick. Durant's max contract is $38.2. So the Lakers will have to space to sign any max free agent in the off season.

With the trade, Lakers have also opened up a roster spot for Carmelo or another player on the buyout market.

Lakers with a nice comeback win last night over Boston. Came back from a big first half deficit to win on a buzzer beater from ex-Celtic Rondo after a wild scramble following a blocked shot.

HeadInjury
February 22nd, 2019, 08:12 AM
First game back from the All Star Break, the Lakers come back from a 19-point deficit to beat the Rockets. LeBron and Ingram with big games. Lakers are now 2.5 games behind the Clippers for the 8th spot with a game in hand.

Over the next 5 games, the Lakers play New Orleans twice, Memphis, Milwaukee and Phoenix. Really need to win at least 4 of those.

ucsdguy1
February 23rd, 2019, 08:57 PM
Over the next 5 games, the Lakers play New Orleans twice, Memphis, Milwaukee and Phoenix. Really need to win at least 4 of those.
Not off to a good start

HeadInjury
February 28th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Lakers beat the Pelicans last night, but perhaps only because the Pelicans only played Anthony Davis for 3 quarters, where he had 22 points in 21 minutes.

Ingram has been playing really well recently. Kuzma, Butler and of course LeBron are contributing. What we seem to be seeing is a real drop off in the play of Rondo, McGee and Chandler. Not just offensively, but in terms of hustle and defense. Rondo in particular is seeming to be moping in his role. One thing that the Lakers miss about Lonzo Ball is his defense.

If you want to look at how bad the Lakers' defense is watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIVsS22sQhw

HeadInjury
March 4th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Instead of going 4 out of their last 5 against mostly bad teams, the Lakers went 1-4, effectively ending their season. Also effectively ending Luke Walton's tenure.

When Magic was hired I expressed concern about his ability to evaluate talent. The Muscala trade has been a disaster. Muscala had a real good game a while back against the Lakers and I have to wonder whether Magic was overly swayed by that. Zubac isn't having a huge impact with the Clippers, but he is playing fine. The Butler for Svi trade has worked out, but the Muscala trade certainly has not.

Ball is still out which should not come as a surprise. No way he was coming back in 4-6 weeks with that injury.

The Lakers currently would pick 13th in the draft with a 5% chance of moving into the top 4. Falling to the 9th pick is not out of the question, which would give them a 20% chance of a top 4 pick. Picking in the 9th to 13th range should give them the chance to add a shooter, something they really need.

Almost without exception, the 1-year signings have not worked out. McGee would be the exception to that, although his play isn't as strong as it was earlier in the season.

This season is not the real test of Magic's leadership, it is what happens this off season in trades and free agency. That and of course who they hire to replace Walton. If it's Jason Kidd or Tyron Lue, God help us.

HeadInjury
March 10th, 2019, 10:08 AM
I won't comment much on the games anymore as the Lakers are too decimated by injuries to be expected to compete. Ingram is out for the year with a blood clot in his shoulder. Ball is apparently going to be held out for the rest of the year as well. Kuzma is injured. The Lakers are reducing LeBron's minutes and not planning to play him in back-to-back games.

Wagner had his first career start last night and scored 22. Good for him. G-Leaguers Jonathan Williams and Alex Caruso with good games. Starters Rondo and KCP had 4 and 2 points, respectively.

The Lakers now have the 10th worst record and have a shot at 6th. They're 3.5 games behind behind Memphis for that spot. New Orleans and Washington seems locks to pass them in the standings, with only Dallas (1-9) in full tank mode.

Lakers play mostly playoffs teams in their last 16 games. Only seemingly winnable games are against Chicago, New York, Washington and New Orleans and 3 of those are on the road. Wouldn't be surprised if they only win one or two more games at this point.

If they end up with the 6th worst record, they'll have a 37.2% chance of a top 4 pick. About a 9% chance at each of the top 4 spots.

Kings7
March 11th, 2019, 10:16 PM
Clippers are accepting applications from Kobefans that can't stand Lebron the Lakers GOAT.

HeadInjury
March 20th, 2019, 09:18 AM
Muscala got his first start (I believe) for the Lakers last night, scoring 2 points in 11 minutes while going 0-5 from the 3. Since the trade he has shot 5 of 24 from the 3 and 10 of 32 overall.

This is what GM Rob Pelinka said at the time of the trade:

“When we took a look at our five spot, we had three elite rim protectors-rim rollers. We felt like we wanted to diversify that position a little bit. It was hard to trade Zu, a great young player, but we feel like Muscala can spread the floor and add a stretch five, play some four as well. Just open the court for our drivers, like, Rondo, LeBron, Brandon Ingram, Lonzo when he comes back, I think it’s important. We just felt like if we tweaked our roster a little bit from a chemistry standpoint and added some shooting, if we could just make that push and get that eighth spot or seventh spot, get in the playoffs and then let a player like LeBron do what he does in the playoffs.”

So the reason for trading away Zubac - now a starter on the playoff team - was to improve shooting.

Zubac isn't setting the world on fire on the Clippers, but he is doinf okay, shooting 46%, compared to Muscala's 31%. Luke hardly plays Muscala as he is so ineffective.

Kings7
March 21st, 2019, 10:38 AM
Comparing Zubac (center) to Muscala - 50% of his shots are 3 pointers? Okay!

Clippers are very happy with what Zu is doing. In fact, it's just what the Clippers needed, a young C who can run the floor, plays D, willing to learn, great attitude, AND remember Kareem said he's "the only one who wants to learn the skyhook.'

Great job handing us #Zu (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Zu) :)

So the reason for trading away Zubac - now a starter on the playoff team - was to improve shooting.

Zubac isn't setting the world on fire on the Clippers, but he is doinf okay, shooting 46%, compared to Muscala's 31%. Luke hardly plays Muscala as he is so ineffective.

HeadInjury
March 21st, 2019, 11:33 AM
There are some holes in Zubac's game, but he is coming along.

The story is that the Lakers contacted the Clippers about the trade proposal. I'm sure the Clippers' GM was trying to hide his giggles.

Kings7
March 21st, 2019, 06:09 PM
I didn't hear the backstory. Curious to see what Clippers can get done this Summer in the way of FA. Could be a big swing if they land two big fish and LAL strikes out. Quite possible.

There are some holes in Zubac's game, but he is coming along.

The story is that the Lakers contacted the Clippers about the trade proposal. I'm sure the Clippers' GM was trying to hide his giggles.

HeadInjury
March 28th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Lakers appear likely to stay at about the 10th spot in the lottery standings. Could possibly move up a couple of places or move back one.

Rondo, Stephenson and KCP leading the tank brigade last night shooting a collective 6 for 31. Impressive.

HeadInjury
April 9th, 2019, 09:28 PM
Magic resigned his position with the Lakers this today. Basically said he isn't having fun and the league rules against tampering stop him from even saying something positive about a player on another team and he hates that. His interview today was a rambling mess. I imagine there is a lot more to the story than what is currently known.

Jeannie made a terrible hire here. Great players rarely make great executives. As is her custom, Jeannie tried to make herself look good by making the popular choice. After LeBron signed, it looked like it might work, but the list of Magic's failures is pretty long for having only held the job for 2 years.

HeadInjury
May 12th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Well, the front office saga continues.

Note that, since Magic walked away, the Lakers haven't made any announcements about what their plans are for the front office. In the past couple of weeks, the media is reporting that the organization is a complete mess. Neither Jeanie Buss nor Rob Pelinka have made any public statements. With the draft lottery coming up this week, and the Lakers having to send a representative, they are sending Kyle Kuzma, a player they recently offered to trade. Poor guy will be asked to comment on Magic, the state of the front office, the attempt to trade him, etc. Really an unfair position to put him in.

Whether the front office is really in as bad of shape as the media is reporting is open to debate I suppose. Lakers news drive viewers and clicks and local sports radio talks about little else. So they may be over-hyping it. It's not like Magic was doing a good job, so his departure doesn't hurt much.

It is an issue though if the perception among free agents is that the organization is poorly run. Heading to the Clippers who do seem to have a better owner, better front office and better coach might look like a better option. Could you imagine if KD and Kawhi both chose to go there.

The latest rumor is that Frank Vogel will be the new coach. He was successful in Indiana and unsuccessful in Orlando. He was in a similar situation in Orlando as Luke was here, a coach hired by the prior front office that later was replaced. Vogel was known as a good defensive coach in Indy, but let's not pretend he's an elite coach.

The Lakers reportedly are also going to be hiring Jason Kidd as an assistant coach. Some think he is going to get the head coaching job eventually. Nothing like having a coach with both a history of domestic violence and a DUI. While he did not have success as a head coach, some credit him with helping develop Giannis' game and apparently the Lakers want him to work with Lonzo Ball. Well, Kidd was a great point guard in the NBA whatever his personal failings. He is not Vogel's choice, but the front office's. Apparently this was part of the reason both Monty Williams and Ty Lue refused the Lakers' offer.

My concern is that the front office has no clue about how to build a winning team. Jeannie has no basketball acumen. Now she apparently is relying heavily on Linda Rambis, her friend of 40 years, who likewise has zero basketball acumen. You would think that the organization would start with hiring Magic's replacement, and then let that person make the coaching decision. There is no rush to hire a coach right now. It's not like Lue or Vogel are in high demand. Apparently, Kurt Rambis was leading the coaching search. So perhaps he is Magic's de-facto replacement. Rambis has no front office experience. His coaching stops were disasters. There are reports in the media that Jeannie was relying in part on Phil Jackson's when making the offer to Vogel. Phil of course never made a good coaching hire when with the Knicks, and his time there was an unmitigated disaster.

So Jeannie hires her friend Magic to run operations. She hires Pelinka to be GM because Kobe recommended him. Neither had any experience in a basketball front office. It turns into a quagmire, Magic leaves, and Jeannie relies on the Linda and Kurt Rambis, who have no experience, and Phil Jackson, a proven failure. In other words, she just turns to friends for help. Nothing to inspire confidence.

To be fair, Pat Riley had no experience when hired as the Lakers coach. He was literally Chick Hearn's color analyst at the time. So sometimes it is possible to strike gold.

In the end, if the Lakers do get a top tier free agent and become competitive, these last couple of months will be quickly forgotten. But that is a short list: KD, Kawhi, Clay Thompson and maybe Kyrie Irving. Not looking too good right now to land any of the first three, and Kyrie didn't exactly help a much better Boston team.

HeadInjury
May 14th, 2019, 05:55 PM
Lakers beat the odds and move up from 11th to 4th in the NBA draft. Pelicans get the first pick and the right to sign Zion. Lakers chance of moving into the top 4 was less than 10%.