PDA

View Full Version : All Things AEW thread

mitchrock
August 3rd, 2019, 06:41 PM
With AEW about to kickoff on TNT next month, thought I start its own thread. They first few events have been great. Cannot wait to see them grow. Hope they learned from WCW's mistakes.

ucsdguy1
August 4th, 2019, 01:10 PM
Worth it to just make one big pro wrestling thread?

mitchrock
August 6th, 2019, 05:57 AM
I'd like to keep this separate. Will be easier to keep track of each company's stories.

CIrvine
August 6th, 2019, 10:19 PM
Yeah. I stopped watching the WWE a few months ago.

TooCool
August 8th, 2019, 07:05 AM
I'd like to keep this separate. Will be easier to keep track of each company's stories.

Good idea. It should be interesting.

Honestly, I think they need to set up a WWE Network kind of thing as soon as possible. Granted, they'll have no library to work with but as for PPV pricing, I don't think it's reasonable at all in this day and age to charge like $50-60 for a show when WWE does it for 10 bucks. I'm sure their argument will be that they'll only have like 4 PPVs a year so they can charge that much. But we'll see.

LetTigerIn
August 9th, 2019, 01:38 PM
Since we're in the AEW thread, I just want to take a moment to say there have been some tremendous matches in the NJPW G1 Climax tournament.

ucsdguy1
August 9th, 2019, 04:41 PM
So AEW is promoting a 6 man tag match for their first TNT show: Young Bucks/Omega vs. Jericho/2 mystery partners. Thoughts on partners? I was trying to figure out when Revival's contracts would be up but I think they go at least until next Wrestlemania.

Also supposedly crowning the first women's champ on that show. Side note: I had no idea Britt Baker was in a relationship with Adam Cole.

mitchrock
August 11th, 2019, 10:59 AM
So AEW is promoting a 6 man tag match for their first TNT show: Young Bucks/Omega vs. Jericho/2 mystery partners. Thoughts on partners? I was trying to figure out when Revival's contracts would be up but I think they go at least until next Wrestlemania.

Also supposedly crowning the first women's champ on that show. Side note: I had no idea Britt Baker was in a relationship with Adam Cole.

I wonder if Y2J will have some former WWE's as partners/

TooCool
August 27th, 2019, 07:50 AM
Sucks that Moxley is out of the PPV with elbow issues. (Is it the same one he had in WWE with the infection??)

Either way, at least they can revisit that feud once AEW is established on TV. Might be better to be honest. PAC (Neville) as the replacement is great though.

mitchrock
August 29th, 2019, 09:04 PM
Since we're in the AEW thread, I just want to take a moment to say there have been some tremendous matches in the NJPW G1 Climax tournament.

Yes there have. Love Juice Robinson. He is awesome.

mitchrock
August 29th, 2019, 09:05 PM
Glad to see Dustin Rhodes got a Multi-Year deal with AEW. Didn't want him to retire.

TooCool
August 31st, 2019, 09:58 PM
Luchasaurus might be my new favorite wrestler in AEW.

https://streamable.com/77pmf

So damn agile for a big dude!

ucsdguy1
September 1st, 2019, 07:50 AM

I wacthed a highlight segment of All Out on youtube this morning. This is probably how I'm going to have to follow their ppv's as I have no desire to pay $49.99 for individual shows. I also realize there's a lot of talent I just don't know a lot about. The weekly show will have to do a lot to build up why I should care, which I have confidence they will do.

Totally agree on Luchasaurus. He is the perfect "hot tag" and is quite the agile guy for his size. Between his "soft" chops on Dreamer at the last battle royal and last night, I'm also pretty sure Orange Cassidy might be one of my favorite new guys too. Pac/Omega, damn. Both guys sell moves where it appears pretty much every move they do could cause serious damage. Surprised Omega lost after Pac was a replacement, but could set Pac up to be a top heel. Young Bucks and Pentagon/Fenix had all the high spots, and there were many. But the fans seemed to completely eat it up.

Oh and I am definitely not down with paper cuts.

ucsdguy1
September 1st, 2019, 07:51 AM

I wacthed a highlight segment of All Out on youtube this morning. This is probably how I'm going to have to follow their ppv's as I have no desire to pay $49.99 for individual shows. I also realize there's a lot of talent I just don't know a lot about. The weekly show will have to do a lot to build up why I should care, which I have confidence they will do.

Totally agree on Luchasaurus. He is the perfect "hot tag" and is quite the agile guy for his size. Between his "soft" chops on Dreamer at the last battle royal and last night, I'm pretty sure Orange Cassidy might be one of my favorite new guys too. Pac/Omega, damn. Both guys sell moves where it appears pretty much every move they do could cause serious damage. Surprised Omega lost after Pac was a replacement, but could set Pac up to be a top heel. Young Bucks and Pentagon/Fenix had all the high spots, and there were many. But the fans seemed to completely eat it up. Welcome to Wednesday Night Dynamite is Jericho?

Oh and I am definitely not down with paper cuts.

ucsdguy1
October 3rd, 2019, 12:33 PM
Thoughts on the first show? Not enough Luchasaurus?

I don't think it was groundbreaking but did have quite the good wrestling. And good matches at that (that Riho/Rose match, Rhodes/Guevara with insanely hot crowd, pac/page, and final 6 man tag, damn).

Between that and NXT there was some solid, solid wrestling on last night. I do however not like the split screen with commercials during matches.

mitchrock
October 3rd, 2019, 05:52 PM
Good first show. MFJ was hilarious on the mic as he walked to the ring. The ending was meh. Jack Swagger is not a guy I get all psyched to see. A b level talent. Jericho is doing a great job as a heel. Cannot wait til next week.

TooCool
October 3rd, 2019, 08:03 PM
I thought it was a pretty good show. Great pacing overall. I especially liked the overhead camera angle that panned through the crowd during the ring entrances. I also liked how they gave the wrestlers their full entrances and then went to commercial break.

- First match was pretty decent between Cody and Sammy Guevara. I thought maybe the pacing felt a little slow to boot as they were going for those near-fall facial reactions way too early. I know nothing of Sammy so it was good to showcase him like that.

- MJF vs Brandon Cutler. I have no idea who Cutler is but he looks like a very generic dude with no future. (Maybe too harsh? lol) Either way, an expected win for MJF and that's fine by me.

- Then I think the next segment was a bunch of Tag Teams getting some mic time. That's alright. I don't know anything about any of them. I just know Jack Evans and Angelico from Lucha Underground and they're freaking great. Private Party feels like a Street Profits clone to me though to be fair I don't know who came up with the gimmick first.

- PAC vs "Hangman" Adam Page - I enjoyed this match. This is the kind of wrestling I'm fully expecting from most of the AEW staff. I'm not sold on Adam Page yet so hopefully he'll grow on me.

- AEW Women's Championship Match: Riho vs Nyla Rose - What the hell was up with Britt Baker on commentary? She felt so disengaged and couldn't answer many questions from JR and Tony. Very bizarre. The match itself was okay but it told the story just fine. People bagged on Nyla Rose mostly being sloppy during that Battle Royale but I think she was okay here. Putting the title on Riho is a good start.

- Kenny Omega & Young Bucks vs Chirs Jericho, Santana, and Ortiz - I really love Jericho's music and The Elite's music was super catchy. Loved Jon Moxley's appearance here and I don't know why but I liked how he took out Omega early. You don't want to give too much of Kenny Omega away on TV yet and it builds their feud at the same time. The Young Bucks sure have a lot of flashy moves so that's fun. Jericho's wrestling was also very limited in this 1st episode and that's okay with me.

- I loved Jake Hager making an appearance. I'll have to disagree with Mitchrock here as I was a huge fan of him in WWE. I just think he was very poorly booked during his WWE run (no surprise there). Now he looks more buff and fit from MMA so there's that.

Overall, very decent first episode and they didn't even use Luchasaurus and Shawn Spears. I'm sure they will have a lot more surprises in store and that's all we can ask for.

I do however not like the split screen with commercials during matches.

Oh man, speaking of which I did think having Jericho attack Cody throughout that commercial break while on split screen was a mistake. I know most of it was just to kill time as Jericho was mainly prancing around the ring and whatnot, but what a terrible idea to use that as a split screen commercial segment.

LetTigerIn
October 4th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Swagger's heyday was probably back when I was hardly watching any wrestling. Still, I'm with TooCool on this one, which is to say, I'm a fan of his. I couldn't/can't understand why this guy wasn't a bigger star than he was/is. He's got the size, amateur wrestling background, and now MMA cred as well, which puts him way ahead of the curve. Bottom line, I guess, is it's entertainment, so if you're not filling houses or getting viewers to tune in, even great credentials will eventually determine your limits.

ucsdguy1
October 4th, 2019, 11:10 AM
AEW shirts are expensive much like wwe. But looks like I can get them at hot topic now: https://www.allelitewrestling.com/post/all-elite-wrestling-announces-retail-partnership-with-hot-topic

ucsdguy1
October 17th, 2019, 11:08 AM
By gawd Darby Allin had no business doing what he was doing with his arms taped behind his back.

TooCool
October 17th, 2019, 01:48 PM
By gawd Darby Allin had no business doing what he was doing with his arms taped behind his back.

Man that was a great match. A Tag Team heavy show but once in awhile I think it's okay.

For the main event, Jericho did a hell of a job putting Darby over. Enough believable nearfalls and also allowed Darby to showcase his stuff, especially while handcuffed. He even needed Hager's "help" to retain so that's cool.

Honestly, the only weak part about AEW by a mile is the Women's Division. Everyone just feels really green when they're in the ring.

ucsdguy1
October 17th, 2019, 03:38 PM
Man that was a great match. A Tag Team heavy show but once in awhile I think it's okay.

For the main event, Jericho did a hell of a job putting Darby over. Enough believable nearfalls and also allowed Darby to showcase his stuff, especially while handcuffed. He even needed Hager's "help" to retain so that's cool.

Honestly, the only weak part about AEW by a mile is the Women's Division. Everyone just feels really green when they're in the ring.
Agreed, although I thought the Riho/Baker match was pretty good. Maybe a bit sloppy in parts but for the most part both came off well. I was reading earlier Baker is still working as a dentist 4 days a week, and AEW is letting her fly to the weekly shows either tuesday night or wednesday morning then fly back after. Insane.

mitchrock
October 17th, 2019, 05:38 PM
Found out via Twitter, you can watch AEW Dark on YouTube. Loving it!

ucsdguy1
November 11th, 2019, 09:43 AM
I text a good buddy of mine yesterday pleading he never go MJF on me.

Only saw highlights online, but that Omega/Moxley match geez.....I mean that was something.

TooCool
November 13th, 2019, 09:14 AM
I text a good buddy of mine yesterday pleading he never go MJF on me.

Only saw highlights online, but that Omega/Moxley match geez.....I mean that was something.

I caught some of the Full Gear PPV. Couldn't justify shelling out $50 for these PPVs though.. they really need to come up with a price similar to the WWE Network if they want my $$$. But I did find a really good stream of it... ;)

Adam Page vs PAC was fun. They really put over PAC's record well but I think too many stars are starting off around .500 which doesn't seem too impressive. They still haven't exactly explained what the standings mean in the long run or why we should care though.

Which leads me to my next point which happened to be the next match with Shawn Spears vs Joey Janela. Shawn Spears was previously 0-2. Right before the PPV, they quickly had him win 2 matches on AEW dark to make him 2-2 so he doesn't go into the PPV still winless. And I guess on AEW Dark he had a mini feud with Janela? Either way, they didn't really bring it up during the PPV or why they were even having the match. AEW needs to do better there.

- AEW Triple Threat Tag Title match - Great match. I fully expected SCU to retain since they recently won. I really love the Lucha Bros since I know them from Lucha Underground. The tag division is one of their bright spots as long as AEW continue to let them work longer matches.

- AEW Women's Title match - Riho is a good wrestler but overall their women's division is extremely weak. It was not good that they had her defend it against Emi Sakura with zero buildup. Then they tried to hype the match up via Twitter. Kenny Omega even posted a bunch of history between Riho and Sakura and fans were replying with "Why did you mention ANY of this on TV?" So far AEW has been extremely good with feedback so I would expect that they would listen and improve.

- Jericho vs Cody - Holy pyro fest for both dudes. I also really love Cody and Jericho's theme music. Another really good one is Darby Allin's and Jon Moxley's entrance music. They supposedly had 3 judges that will decide the result should the match go 60 minutes. So I immediately assumed they were going 60. But thankfully it only went 29 minutes. Cody did himself no favors by hurting himself with that dive onto the ramp. (I remember WCW did that ramp that went all the way to the ring in previous PPVs and I was never a fan of that.) All I can say is that is was a damn good match with great buildup. Now Cody will have his loophole of never challenging for the AEW title if he lost. He can have a huge feud with MJF in the meantime. The only problem is that there aren't many babyfaces to go up against Jericho. I'm thinking maybe AEW isn't going to care about a heel vs heel match. If Moxley or PAC or whoever has a good record, they can face Jericho regardless.

- Moxley vs Omega - This unsanctioned match was insane. I've had time to process it but I still don't know what to think. I liked it and didn't hate it. That's the best response I can give. I liked the big spots and how brutal it was. What I didn't like was that everything was too planned out. Here's all the things I can remember them using.

Barbed wired Bat
Barbed wired Broom
Table
Trash can
Mouse trapped table
Screwdriver
Broken Glass
Barbed ware fence thing they had a double suplex on
Stage
Hardwood floor after ring is torn apart

So while it was great that it was disgusting, all the near falls was a bit much. However, I was insanely entertained through all of it so that's a win. I can't imagine that Renee Young liked it though. She was probably thinking "Yeah, this isn't what I want my husband to do at all."

ucsdguy1
December 5th, 2019, 09:42 AM
This is not that list. It's the Lexicon of Le Champione...

I freely admit, I bought 2 bottles of A Little Bit of the Bubbly this weekend... https://nockingpointwines.com/product/bubbly/

And the marginalizing of dinosaurs? A+ Luchasaurus..

Also:

https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/76714067_10219939740019969_8141340998987939840_n.j pg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=KLcF2Ps-gb8AQmjPpgDsmlK57Eknbjjv2GHjWuE25-G6CgUZZ5lEzpohQ&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&oh=5ad7a0d31d5aaa45cbb82270b19cb0b0&oe=5E761D0E

TooCool
December 5th, 2019, 03:11 PM
I almost pulled the trigger on Jericho's Le Champion shirt during the Black Friday sale when it was 25% off + his 50 cent coupon code. :lol: I didn't. :(

CIrvine
December 6th, 2019, 08:49 AM
Will AEW ever let "Professional" Peter Avalon get any offence in?

TooCool
January 3rd, 2020, 09:58 AM
I'm a fan of Hikaru Shida after that 4 way match on AEW. She put on one hell of a match. Riho stealing wins and making Britt Baker turn heel maybe is interesting.

When the hell is Jake Hager going to wrestle? I knew he couldn't when he had that MMA fight but that match is over with now isn't it?

The biggest thing AEW has done right IMO is developing MJF and Sammy Guevara.

ucsdguy1
January 8th, 2020, 02:25 PM
I'm a fan of Hikaru Shida after that 4 way match on AEW. She put on one hell of a match. Riho stealing wins and making Britt Baker turn heel maybe is interesting.

When the hell is Jake Hager going to wrestle? I knew he couldn't when he had that MMA fight but that match is over with now isn't it?

The biggest thing AEW has done right IMO is developing MJF and Sammy Guevara.
Agreed but Guevara has to start winning again soon right?

MJF is so good on the mic

ucsdguy1
January 9th, 2020, 01:24 PM
Agreed but Guevara has to start winning again soon right?

MJF is so good on the mic

I stand corrected.

And why would Moxley waste a perfectly good bottle of the bubbly?? :)

Pretty funny though. “I was just kidding. I would never join the inner circle, it’s a stupid group”

ucsdguy1
January 16th, 2020, 10:07 AM
AEW "Bash at the Beach" thoughts -

1. Cody is so good on the mic. He can strike an emotional chord with anyone.
2. My favorite signs of the night: (a) "I was at MJF's Bar Mitzvah" (b) "Cassidy for Pres 2020"
3. Holy heck there were some good matches. That 4 way tag match was spot after spot after spot. They are brilliantly setting up Page turning on Omega. Not sure if it'll happen in the tag title match or after they potentially win the titles, but it's going down. And fan support for Page is there, there are Hangman drink my beer" signs everywhere. Guevara once again puts on a great match, but loses. And he tapped out quickly. If the inner circle was going to brutally attack Moxley, why not do it before the match ends and save Guevara from a clean loss? Allin can pretty much have a good match with anyone, just wish he'd also win a few more. It was pretty obvious Pac was going to win. He may beat Moxley next week either from inner circle interference or just preying on Moxley's injured face. It would of course make a heel vs. heel match for the title, but that leaves it wide open to Moxley then interfering. That or Moxley wins and we get the match with Jericho for it all. (Win or lose Moxley, you either win...or lose....those are your two options, top quote randy marsh)
4. Next week's episode will be on Jericho's cruise....should make for a fun background, unless the ocean acts up.
5. Taz just signed a multiyear deal with AEW. I happened to be wearing my old FTW 13 beanie from back in the day when I read it. Coincidence?

ucsdguy1
January 23rd, 2020, 09:35 AM
Really bizarre show from the Jericho cruise last night. How can you have a cruise and not Orange Cassidy?

Good for Page/Omega. Interesting as they've been hinting Page turning on him for awhile, that it wouldn't occur after they lost the titles. Does it happen now while they're tag champs, or after they lose? Page crowd surfing while pounding beers was nice.

That was a pretty quick heel turn for Britt Baker. Poor Schiavone, did he really work at Starbucks as a s****y barista? :)

TooCool
January 23rd, 2020, 11:54 AM
Really bizarre show from the Jericho cruise last night. How can you have a cruise and not Orange Cassidy?

Good for Page/Omega. Interesting as they've been hinting Page turning on him for awhile, that it wouldn't occur after they lost the titles. Does it happen now while they're tag champs, or after they lose? Page crowd surfing while pounding beers was nice.

That was a pretty quick heel turn for Britt Baker. Poor Schiavone, did he really work at Starbucks as a s****y barista? :)

I loved the fans singing Jericho's song. It reminded me of the crowding doing the same for Shinsuke Nakamura and Sami Zayn. Those never get old. You could see Jericho crack some smiles too even though he's a heel.

So Britt Baker is officially a heel now with that promo. After all, she's pissed at Riho for swooping in to win almost every single time right?

Adam Page being a heel like you said should be fun. Especially since it's been hinted at for weeks now. Young Bucks vs Omega/Page moving forward? Unless SCU wins it back.

The whole show there on the boat was really cool. I'd imagine it was cold with how windy it looked.

ucsdguy1
January 30th, 2020, 11:56 AM
Highlights from AEW last night:

- Hangman telling Jackson to 'hold my beer' while he executed a buckshot lariat

- The tweets from Hangman earlier:

HANGMAN PAGE

@theAdamPage

i don’t have a match tonight on dynamite so imma just get piss drunk and slip out by nine without saying goodbye

HANGMAN PAGE

@theAdamPage

the earth split, and i gazed downward into the chasm. there, surrounded by bursts of flame and the stench of burning flesh, satan spread his asschecks, and through plumes of sulfur I could see directly into his demonic anus, and behold.. the miami international airport

- Pretty much everything darby allin did

- Joey Janela: I don't know why but when he rose to get in the middle of Sabian and Ford's kiss, then gave Sabian the middle finger I laughed out loud pretty good.

TooCool
January 31st, 2020, 09:26 AM
Highlights from AEW last night:

- Hangman telling Jackson to 'hold my beer' while he executed a buckshot lariat

- The tweets from Hangman earlier:

- Pretty much everything darby allin did

- Joey Janela: I don't know why but when he rose to get in the middle of Sabian and Ford's kiss, then gave Sabian the middle finger I laughed out loud pretty good.

I'm really loving this side of Adam Page. I'll admit, other than his catchy tune when AEW was brand new, I didn't know much about him. But now as weeks and weeks have gone by, his character development has been great.

Agree with you on the Darby Allin part. I even loved how JR said something along the lines about fans being attached to him while they showed another kid with face paint in the crowd. It helps when JR speaks the truth and it also helps when there is proof of that on a weekly basis.

Overall, I think AEW is fun. It still feels fresh to me. My only complaint is that they'll have matches where you know who will lose no matter what... kind of like what WWE does. Maybe that's wrestling? I don't know... I just feel like it could be booked better so everyone can win on any given night. But I understand you can't have that without that 50/50 **** either.

ucsdguy1
January 31st, 2020, 10:12 AM
Agree with you on the Darby Allin part. I even loved how JR said something along the lines about fans being attached to him while they showed another kid with face paint in the crowd. It helps when JR speaks the truth and it also helps when there is proof of that on a weekly basis.

Overall, I think AEW is fun. It still feels fresh to me. My only complaint is that they'll have matches where you know who will lose no matter what... kind of like what WWE does. Maybe that's wrestling? I don't know... I just feel like it could be booked better so everyone can win on any given night. But I understand you can't have that without that 50/50 **** either.
Britt Baker did not agree: "You sit there each week and collect a very large paycheck while we all do the work. Be the legend I grew up on, Jim, not a sloppy BBQ sauce sales rep who can't even get the names on our roster straight." :)

I agree on AEW, although I find that even when it's obvious who will lose they find ways to make the matches entertaining. And the crowds are a huge factory of the show in my opinion. If they're animated, it can add to any match.

TooCool
February 12th, 2020, 10:25 AM
https://i.redd.it/dstrc1f0oig41.png

Love the Moxley vs Santana pic!

ucsdguy1
February 13th, 2020, 10:35 AM
Wow man new women's champ. That was a brutal match. I'm really surprised they had the title switch on a Wednesday night show when this easily could've happened at the ppv. I imagine Rose will have many face to challengers but will prove to be an unstoppable force.

The crowd was super hot last night and that really adds to broadcasts. Page/Omega vs. SCU was awesome. It's funny they've been setting up Page turning on Omega for awhile now, but every week he is getting more and more popular with fans. That's going to inevitably disrupt a "heel" turn.

ucsdguy1
February 19th, 2020, 10:52 AM
Matt Hardy anyone?

The UNKILLABLE Matt Hardy
@MATTHARDYBRAND
Against Every Warning, with serious head/neck injuries, I showed up on #RAW (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=RAW) to face & fight RKO. I was brutally beaten & suffered multiple injuries. But I’m alive. I’m not sure what’s next. If this was my @WWE goodbye, I didn’t get what I deserved-But maybe I got what I needed. https://t.co/Bzh1Ot4fcU

EVIL UNO of the DARK ORDER
@EvilUno
You say goodbye and I say hello https://t.co/HN1jl3Kk1H

TooCool
February 19th, 2020, 01:11 PM
Matt Hardy anyone?

Would love to see Matt Hardy in AEW where he would be used properly. The question is... can AEW survive by having this Dark Order storyline stall out even longer than it already has? Matt is going to have that stupid 90 day no compete clause.. so he won't be in AEW until June 1st at the earliest.

Excited to see Luke Harper/Brodie Lee show up soon though! :)

TooCool
February 29th, 2020, 06:49 PM
Insanely fun match between Darby Allin and Sammy Guevara.

ucsdguy1
February 29th, 2020, 07:42 PM
Insanely fun match between Darby Allin and Sammy Guevara.
Man still can’t bring myself to pay $50 for a ppv so not watching. I’m sure was great though

TooCool
February 29th, 2020, 09:38 PM
Man still can’t bring myself to pay $50 for a ppv so not watching. I’m sure was great though

I didn't pony up $50 either but man I probably should have. What an insane PPV. That was one of the best I've seen and it's up there with the TakeOvers.

I'm "all in" with AEW now more than ever. This is what wrestling should be about. It should be about smart booking and fun to watch.

ucsdguy1
March 1st, 2020, 10:19 AM
I didn't pony up $50 either but man I probably should have. What an insane PPV. That was one of the best I've seen and it's up there with the TakeOvers.

I'm "all in" with AEW now more than ever. This is what wrestling should be about. It should be about smart booking and fun to watch.
So they kind of stole a bit from Bobby Roode at takeover Toronto but that Jericho entrance was pretty sweet

ucsdguy1
March 6th, 2020, 01:59 PM
So Pac and Lucha Bros fopr some reason became a stable (Death Triangle). The innernetz are a buzz of a potential "trio" championship belt on the horizon.

So we've got:
Death Triangle
Best Friends/Cassidy
Jurassic Express

I might also throw in the makeshift trios of:
MJF/Butcher & Blade
Dark Order (any combination)
Inner Circle (assuming Spanish God/Santana & Ortiz)

There's potential?

TooCool
March 18th, 2020, 07:05 PM
Holy **** AEW knocked it out of the park tonight with their empty arena show. Unlike Smackdown and RAW when it was awkward... they went all out and proceeded like normal. We still got pyro and the wrestlers who didn't have a match were in the crowd all night being hilarious.

Brodie Lee finally debuts as the Exalted One. (Not a fan of his ring gear though)
Now Matt Hardy is officially All Elite. Hell yeah!

ucsdguy1
March 19th, 2020, 10:48 AM
Holy **** AEW knocked it out of the park tonight with their empty arena show. Unlike Smackdown and RAW when it was awkward... they went all out and proceeded like normal. We still got pyro and the wrestlers who didn't have a match were in the crowd all night being hilarious.

Brodie Lee finally debuts as the Exalted One. (Not a fan of his ring gear though)
Now Matt Hardy is officially All Elite. Hell yeah!
MJF and Dillinger betting on the matches was funny. But most of all, Cassidy putting on the headphones for commentary and staying silent was just as good as it gets! ha

I kept thinking "geez they are most definitely not practicing social distancing", but that was about as good as it could get without a live crowd.

It's really too bad they couldn't have done the Brodie Lee and Matt Hardy reveal's in front of a live audience. I almost wish they would've waited till this blows over to do so. Apparently they put a Hardy shirt out and it "deleted" the internet for awhile.

TooCool
March 26th, 2020, 09:34 AM
Yesterday's Dynamite wasn't too interesting and I don't blame them. Because of the 10 person in one area rule, they had to do the gambling stuff in a trailer which felt.... disjointed.

I want to talk about Brodie Lee. So is he suppose to spoof Vince McMahon as the Exalted One or is he just so bitter about being misused he feels like he needs to take some more shots first? The bit last week with the "out of touch old man" and last night, two members of the Dark Order had to wait until he finished eating first before they can eat. But then one guy sneezed and Brodie yelled at him for doing so. Then let's talk about his finishing move. It's quite clunky in my opinion. He set up QT Marshall like he was going to use Sister Abigail only to spin and use the discus lariat.

Then that final segment with Chris Jericho and Matt Hardy. It's uhh... stupid yet interesting? If you know me, you know how I feel about the Broken Hardy gimmick. I think it was dumb in TNA and it was dumb in WWE. Granted, WWE kind of did away with that gimmick so Matt wasn't happy about that. I mean I'm willing to give it a shot in AEW to see what ideas Matt really has up his sleeve... but it's hard to be a fan of it when it's just over the top ridiculous. So yeah, that's my take on it.

I do like how Jericho is sticking with his "I banned the fans until I say so" speech. When things go back to normal, I expect him to demand that the fans thank him for being allowed to come back. :lol:

CIrvine
March 26th, 2020, 12:36 PM
What? No comment on the Omega/Guevara match?

TooCool
March 26th, 2020, 01:40 PM
What? No comment on the Omega/Guevara match?

I'll admit, I wasn't too invested in that match. I figured there's no way the title would change hands especially since there was no crowd. I think if I had to nitpick, the match kinda dragged on 5 minutes too long even. Sammy Guevara making out with the Brandi cutout though was funny. =P That's all I got on that match! What did you think of it?

CIrvine
March 27th, 2020, 07:47 AM
I thought it was a great match since I bet on Kenny.

ucsdguy1
March 28th, 2020, 12:50 AM
Then that final segment with Chris Jericho and Matt Hardy. It's uhh... stupid yet interesting? If you know me, you know how I feel about the Broken Hardy gimmick. I think it was dumb in TNA and it was dumb in WWE. Granted, WWE kind of did away with that gimmick so Matt wasn't happy about that. I mean I'm willing to give it a shot in AEW to see what ideas Matt really has up his sleeve... but it's hard to be a fan of it when it's just over the top ridiculous. So yeah, that's my take on it.

I do like how Jericho is sticking with his "I banned the fans until I say so" speech. When things go back to normal, I expect him to demand that the fans thank him for being allowed to come back. :lol:

Come on dude, Jericho ran a promo on Matt Hardy’s drone! “Vanguard I think you’re a piece of s***. Want to join the inner circle?”
I laughed a lot between “are you inner circle or elite?” “DELETE” “Elite” “DELETE”. Plus there was the whole Matt hardy bringing up that the souls of Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther king (“he still has a dream”) were in the crowd.

Lol

Jericho/Guevara - I mean sheesh they both can put on a hell of a match. It’s just such a shame to not have fans in these matches as they have become such a big part of the show. And will anyone ever get tired of Guevara singing Judas? :)

We’ve spent a lot of time during safer at home rewatching and I’m proud to say my 5 year old has become a huge Darby Allin and Luchasaurus fan right behind Cassidy (and when he’s not asking me when the next Sasha banks match is). Parenting goals?

mitchrock
March 28th, 2020, 08:36 AM
Brodie Lee to me is a disappointment as The Exalted one. Not a strong persona. Bray elevated him and Rowan in WWE. Would much rather have had Hardy be the exalted one. Although, I love MAtt's promos with Jericho.

I want Orange Cassidy to lead a faction to overthrow the dark order.

TooCool
March 28th, 2020, 12:57 PM
Brodie Lee to me is a disappointment as The Exalted one. Not a strong persona. Bray elevated him and Rowan in WWE. Would much rather have had Hardy be the exalted one. Although, I love MAtt's promos with Jericho.

I want Orange Cassidy to lead a faction to overthrow the dark order.

Well that's just the thing Mitchy. Vince held back Harper and Rowan for so long and never allowed them to have anything of a persona. There's a lot of unknown with Brodie Lee. Only time will tell for us all to see what he's truly got.

ucsd, one really good thing I love about AEW is the same reason why your son loves those wrestlers. Darby Allin, Luchasaurus, and Orange Cassidy are great stars in the making. They're unique and fun to watch. I wish they would do more with The Hybrid 2 (Angelico and Jack Evans). They were so good in Lucha Underground but unfortunately right now they're struggling to find their footing in AEW. I think a lot more characters need mic time and storylines still, rather than just go out and wrestle and lose. Obviously right now the timing is all bad.. but just thinking of the future. :)

TooCool
April 1st, 2020, 08:54 PM
Alright, I'll admit it. This segment was pretty hilarious. Jericho did an amazing job!

https://streamable.com/g3yiol

TooCool
May 26th, 2020, 01:49 PM
Didn't watch the PPV but caught highlights of it.

This one in particular was genius. https://twitter.com/Santana_Proud/status/1264903954099507202

ucsdguy1
May 26th, 2020, 04:54 PM
Didn't watch the PPV but caught highlights of it.

This one in particular was genius. https://twitter.com/Santana_Proud/status/1264903954099507202

Caught most of the highlights online. That stadium stampede sure was something..

I'm really surprised after building up Lance Archer so much they had him lose to Cody cleanly.

mitchrock
May 26th, 2020, 09:38 PM
Caught most of the highlights online. That stadium stampede sure was something..

I'm really surprised after building up Lance Archer so much they had him lose to Cody cleanly.

Wasn't sure how that match would be handled. They need to have LAnce come on strong now so he doesn't lose the momentum he had before the PPV.

ucsdguy1
May 28th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Wasn't sure how that match would be handled. They need to have LAnce come on strong now so he doesn't lose the momentum he had before the PPV.
Agreed. I fully thought he might steamroll (or at least win convincingly).

Kind of similar with Brian Cage. He just showed up and now is getting a title shot against Moxley. Do you really want Cage losing this quickly if you're building him up? By the way, I'd pay to watch him wrestling Darby Allin twice!

ucsdguy1
June 15th, 2020, 04:15 PM
I've never been a podcast guy but for some reason as this coronavirus thing hit I started listening to Chris Jericho's podcasts. And hey, they're really good! The watch-along of Damien: Omen II with Kevin Smith was hilarious. And I really enjoyed the episodes with Lance Archer and going back with Britt Baker and Jim Ross. Highly recommend if anyone is ever bored.

Haven't listened yet but he had one last week with the inner circle where they discuss what went into the stadium stampede match. I must hear because that whole thing was bonkers.

ucsdguy1
June 22nd, 2020, 03:12 PM
wow

Sammy Guevara suspended without pay indefinitely for comments from a couple years back he made about Sasha Banks and Jimmy Havoc to undergo treatment for substance abuse and mental healty

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2897225-aews-sammy-guevara-suspended-over-2016-rape-comment-about-wwes-sasha-banks

ucsdguy1
July 6th, 2020, 01:35 PM
Oh no he didn't

https://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/004/399/563/b74a74e3e2978359980b86c69953348e_crop_exact.jpeg?h =533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top

TooCool
July 8th, 2020, 09:43 AM
There's something about the remixed version of his new song that I really dig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpMS_0Xw7Ns

ucsdguy1
July 16th, 2020, 01:58 PM
Um, Omega heel turn anyone?

mitchrock
July 18th, 2020, 03:23 PM
He hinted at it. Will see. The Jericho promo and his announcing afterward was hilarious. Love Ortiz flopping around in the orange juice.

ucsdguy1
July 19th, 2020, 09:09 PM
Ortiz in the orange juice was hilarious, especially after admitting he can’t swim in the stadium stampede. I love that guy

TooCool
July 30th, 2020, 10:45 AM
Ortiz in the orange juice was hilarious, especially after admitting he can’t swim in the stadium stampede. I love that guy

Oh damn, I need to find a clip of that. I remember reading about it and that was it.

I'm happy that Zack Ryder AKA Matt Cardona is in AEW officially now. Wanted Heath Slater to go there too but if he's successful with Impact, good for him. I just don't care for Impact wrestling. =\ But for Matt, I thought his debut was great. They didn't hype up his appearance or anything. He just showed up, helped out his friend and that was it. And the odd reason why I like that is so you don't have to hype every single "WWE reject" so to speak.

ucsdguy1
August 3rd, 2020, 09:02 AM
Finally watched AEW from Wednesday. I gotta say, MJF made some pretty good points.....

The jericho/cassidy "debate" wednesday should go well...

ucsdguy1
August 27th, 2020, 09:31 AM
want

https://www.shopaew.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/image/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/a/e/aew1437.png

ucsdguy1
September 9th, 2020, 07:24 PM
Happy miro day!!

TooCool
September 10th, 2020, 10:04 PM
Happy miro day!!

Stoked that Miro is All Elite on Miro Day!!

I also really liked the debut because it could possibly help Kip Sabian and Penelope Ford as well, depending on where they go with this story line.