PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2022

Moog
November 9th, 2022, 03:59 PM
EA SPORTS has got every World Cup winner right since 2010 using FIFA simulations. It's predicted Argentina to lift the trophy next month using FIFA 23

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1590026394909622272?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1590026394909622272%7Ctwgr% 5Eaae0c90214e7fd07a39270adc5d67080b842e298%7Ctwcon %5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigsoccer.com%2Fthreads% 2Fofficial-galaxy-fans-world-cup-thread.2123090%2Fpage-2

It's over...the GOAT will get to raise the World Cup!!!

ucsdguy1
November 18th, 2022, 02:18 PM
Are we excited yet?

More importantly - for my bracket:

Group B - I have England/Wales 1 and 2. My heart strings really hope the US surprises us but I just don't see it yet.
Group C - Mexico or Poland to finish 2nd?
Group H - I have Portugal/Uruguay in 1-2, but am considering Ghana in their as well. My heart wants Son to do well but not sure I trust south korea.

thoughts

Moog
November 19th, 2022, 11:54 AM
Well I have two dogs in the fight instead of my typical 3. (The Azzurri blew it again….shakes head)

My two dogs are of course USA, and then Argentina.

If you asked me in the spring about the US I’d been very excited about them probably beating Wales and then hopin for a draw against England. Now, I dunno what happened. I’m hoping they don’t get swept. Ouch!

As for Argentina, (knocks on wood) it’s been really going their way this time.
Their group is “easy”. I’m really hoping to see a great story of them rolling all the way to win it for Maradona (seeing as he passed recently) and of course for Messi.

Here’s to exciting matches!

Moog
November 19th, 2022, 12:00 PM
Oh, and screw FIFA!

ucsdguy1
November 19th, 2022, 11:57 PM
I just watched the first episode of that FIFA Uncovered doc on Netflix. Ooof

Also I have Argentina winning it all in my pool. Just sayin

What party?
November 21st, 2022, 09:11 AM
Red Dragons today. They sound pumped, per NPR story this a.m. 1958? Their last dream was killed by gawd damn Pele? Amazing. Not going to get ahead of myself but…after today, they sound like a team I’d root for in the World Cup.

WCText thread update: one person is on Brazil time, one person is a team usa homer, one person is going to 100% block this thread by Friday, guaranteedand well, me a just here for the laughs, day drinking and distraction from reall ife (read: thick thighs and exotic men).

Local update: my neighborhood (read:walkable) “wine bar” will be showing the 11am games, per my conversation with the owner, outdoor seating—my immune-compromisedass has the green light to participate. So far, Friday v. England game with pals: on. Sooooo freaking on. =)

You boys ready?!!!

Moog
November 21st, 2022, 11:02 AM
^^ Nice to see you have a place to go to watch the games outdoors with good peeps!

Meanwhile, my dumbass set my alarm for 1:50am this morning to get up to watch Argentina, only to find out they play tomorrow morning.......took me another 45 min to go back to sleep.
Good thing I didn't crack open that beer before I figured out I got the schedule wrong....otherwise I'd be sad downing a beer at 2:00.

USA! USA! USA???

What party?
November 21st, 2022, 11:03 AM
Dutchies with a header in the 84th minute then a goal in injury time!! Woot.

What party?
November 21st, 2022, 11:04 AM
HA! awesome. I've already ping'd my boss the dutchies score (they are dutch) and will be given a side-eye for the rest of the day about time management.lol.

Moog
November 21st, 2022, 12:09 PM
Lol @ dutchies.

This is what goes through my head when I read it.....

Pass the Dutchie 'pon the left hand side
Pass the Dutchie 'pon the left hand side....

A different kind of "dutchie"

What party?
November 21st, 2022, 12:56 PM
Lol @ dutchies.

This is what goes through my head when I read it.....

Pass the Dutchie 'pon the left hand side
Pass the Dutchie 'pon the left hand side....

A different kind of "dutchie"

Heh!! A connection could be made. Took a picture after the first NED goal in my orange amsterdam hoodie for the text thread, got a lot of that thing must reek of weed comments. Pass the duchie song should be in the mix.

Aside: Brother shot back a picture of him in the Waldo jersey, clown is reppin' hard.

Dude, is it just me or are they punching up the sound on the USA chants or are the fans really that loud? During the Sengal game you could hear a pin drop, but on Fox team USA... (((((ROARS))))) fan noise is above average. Hmmm. At the half, pretty happy.

What party?
November 21st, 2022, 02:32 PM
Gareth Bale is a beast. And would have kicked a hole through that keeper. Fun game.

Good luck with 2am date with Argentina Moog.

ucsdguy1
November 21st, 2022, 02:41 PM
AW AW AW

First half was about as good a half I've seen the US play in awhile. Should've been up more than 1. But damn what a sequence and goal there. Wales adjusted in the 2nd, didn't like the first 20-30 minutes but was 50/50 rest of the way. Bale just has a habit of coming up big in big tournaments. Was a PK in my book. Turner guessed right but that was a damn rocket of a shot.

Feels like we threw away points with a draw, and before the game I would've been fine with a draw. Really hope they can eek out a draw against England, assuming Wales will beat Iran. Then game day 3 becomes must see tv.

USA chants were loud in first, Wales picked it up in the second. Funny how that works with momentum.

I was up live for England this morning with a pint, but don't think I can do 2 am, I'm not 22 anymore....

I have Argentina winning the whole thing in my bracket, so I'd be much obliged if they can go ahead and do so.

What party?
November 21st, 2022, 03:16 PM
Solid point at the half for team USA but not sure if they should have been up by more than one. They for sure got shots off but...Wales was in the game the whole time. Although your optimism is contagious and will defer to your assessment.

2am pints and alarm settings is spurring some competitive vibes. Bastards. Love it. No excuses on this side of the computer: work from home, can absolutely be productive with drinkies in my belly, & Argentina's failure would make me sadistically laugh. Feck. In.

Manana bararchos.

Moog
November 21st, 2022, 03:39 PM
First half USA looked like USA from the spring of this year. Probably could have easily had another goal and up by 2 at the half.

Wales adjusted well in the 2nd. Poor tackle in the box....come on....that needs to be better.

US looked much improved again in the back half of the 2nd half.

On to Black Friday against England.

NOTES:
US has never won their 2nd match of a World Cup
US has never lost to England at a World Cup

.....another draw then?

What party?
November 21st, 2022, 06:38 PM
First half USA looked like USA from the spring of this year. Probably could have easily had another goal and up by 2 at the half.

Wales adjusted well in the 2nd. Poor tackle in the box....come on....that needs to be better.

NOTES:

.....another draw then?

or...https://media2.giphy.com/media/h1zypyYAgZE96sCNuV/giphy.gif

ucsdguy1
November 21st, 2022, 11:12 PM

NOTES:

.....another draw then?

I’d probably be okay with it. Just hope wales doesn’t beat Iran by 4 goals

What party?
November 22nd, 2022, 08:13 AM
Well I have two dogs in the fight instead of my typical 3. (The Azzurri blew it again….shakes head)

My two dogs are of course USA, and then Argentina.

If you asked me in the spring about the US I’d been very excited about them probably beating Wales and then hopin for a draw against England. Now, I dunno what happened. I’m hoping they don’t get swept. Ouch!

As for Argentina, (knocks on wood) it’s been really going their way this time.
Their group is “easy”. I’m really hoping to see a great story of them rolling all the way to win it for Maradona (seeing as he passed recently) and of course for Messi.

Here’s to exciting matches!

https://media.tenor.com/kNwZslnPna8AAAAC/michael-scott-steve-carell.gif

ucsdguy1
November 22nd, 2022, 09:13 AM
https://media.tenor.com/wyLJ5REyHgEAAAAM/animal-house-kevin-bacon.gif

Moog
November 22nd, 2022, 09:49 AM
Well that's the World Cup for ya.......not so nice when you wake up at 2 am to see that mess.

Gotta hand it to SA....they played a very high line, and packed the midfield with RELENTLESS pressure.

Martinez 1st goal was not offside....don't care what automated offside said.

3 goals ruled offside.....ouch ....that's demoralizing.

Anyway, if Spain can lose the first game of a World Cup and go on to win it all, then I'll take solace in that.

Moog
November 22nd, 2022, 09:50 AM
My confidence in the the US getting the decision on Friday against England....in a scale from 1-10....1 being absolutely not....10 being absolutely.

I'm at a 6.

What party?
November 22nd, 2022, 11:48 AM
Glad you’re keeping things in perspective, I was a little reluctant to give you the “business” (in gif form)about the loss. Messi will right the ship. Although, Saturday may shut Los Angeles dowwwwwn and I’m here for it!

Friday seems like 100 years from now but my new age nonsense take (& quiet plea to the futbol gods) for the match against Brits is: please, just make it watchable. Their country is a hot mess (much like our own) the new King, Lizzy’s ghost in the locker room and their current economic situation, oof. That energy could galvanize their play to laser focus and ass kicking for the squad (Iran knows).
https://media4.giphy.com/media/3o7TKFJgZFfnlepFYs/giphy.gif

Moog
November 22nd, 2022, 12:15 PM
^^ I have high confidence in Argentina. On to the 2nd match.....we'll go from there.

The only saving grace for the US is that they tend to play their best games when they are picked as the big underdog.
At the very least: Score some goals...as in more than one...perhaps two or three.

Gonna be a lot of drinks from Friday till Saturday.

What party?
November 22nd, 2022, 02:02 PM
^^ I have high confidence in Argentina. On to the 2nd match.....we'll go from there.

The only saving grace for the US is that they tend to play their best games when they are picked as the big underdog.
At the very least: Score some goals...as in more than one...perhaps two or three.

Gonna be a lot of drinks from Friday till Saturday.

Werd. Imperial pints of Old Speckled Hen for Lizzy, all match day!
https://media.tenor.com/PDXYKJUZia4AAAAM/lovely-queen-elizabeth-ii.gif

Saturday, gonna play by ear.

05/29/93
November 22nd, 2022, 02:41 PM
My confidence in the the US getting the decision on Friday against England....in a scale from 1-10....1 being absolutely not....10 being absolutely.

I'm at a 6.

Does "getting the decision" mean only a victory, or does it also include a draw?

ucsdguy1
November 22nd, 2022, 10:39 PM
Also Mexico and Poland drawing ugly leaves plenty of room for Argentina

What party?
November 23rd, 2022, 08:43 AM
Upsets on upsets on upsets. Japan getting grimy and beating the Germans? Bold. The internet says an otter predicted the W (file footage too cute for a message board about hockey).

Out of office notification composed…(finger hovering over the enter button)

Spain and Costa Rica- excited.

Belgium and Canada…thoughts?

What party?
November 23rd, 2022, 11:04 AM
All la Roja. [eyes bulging out emoji] Torres with 2. jesus.

ucsdguy1
November 23rd, 2022, 02:59 PM
Wow thanks for showing up Ticos.

Canada took it to Belgium. BElgium is class of the group but given the other result they surely have a spot at 2nd.

Germany....eeesh! Spain/Germany in a few days is going to be, as the kids say, lit.

Ice24
November 23rd, 2022, 04:16 PM

I'm at a 6.

I believe the US will get worked by England. I have no faith in the coach after how things slipped away against Wales.

Moog
November 26th, 2022, 05:02 PM
US did quite well with the draw. Keeping the unbeaten streak against England alive!
Now they have their fate in their hands against Iran. ���� ����

Argentina redeemed themselves thanks to Messi and Enzo Fernandez brilliant strike!
What a goal for Enzo’s first World Cup goal. That kid is gonna be huge.
Argentina has their fate in their hands.

What party?
November 28th, 2022, 01:45 PM
Whew! This week and weekend has been a lot...
https://media.tenor.com/DmN5B0SXQHMAAAAC/let-me-explain-sum-up.gif
Before this morning's match, top to bottom Brazil is the team to beat (Serbia just did not have the talent but gave them no time or space& played DIIIRRTY. Fun game.). But loving Germany, Netherlands, Croatia and Spain. All the African teams played plucky, nice job guys and South Korea's got a little swag. Team USA, you ask...? Afraid to type anything (jinxies), so will defer to the thread.

Personal note:My liver has given me notice (flew too close to the sun, got burned) and am on a juice cleanse (read: muscle milk) with 5 out of 7 days a week devoted to vegetarianism to recover.

ucsdguy1
November 28th, 2022, 04:25 PM
S Korea/Ghana was super fun today! Part of me hopes S Korea goes out so Son can get that much more rest before going back to Tottenham...

Uruguay/Portugal was fun but chippy. Always sad to see a player crying when he has to leave the game.

I'm not saying anything about tomorrow other than I fear not withstanding all the US twitter/flag emblem brew ha ha, it's going to be an extremely difficult game. Iran has guys that can finish from what I've seen, and the US aside from a Weah/Pulisic moment of brilliance hasn't shown that killing finish yet.

Moog
November 28th, 2022, 05:37 PM
....add to the two above posts: Iran does not play "clean" just ask Jurgen Klinsmann about it.....wait.....somebody did.

Moog
November 28th, 2022, 10:39 PM
So Mexico with zero goals in the group stage going into the last match.
Anyone think Chicha would have made a difference?!?!

I think the team is old, and Tata needs to go, but leaving Chicha off the roster was a real bad call.
Even if he wasn’t a starter, he could have been a super sub with a huge impact.

Oh well.

What party?
November 29th, 2022, 08:51 AM
So Mexico with zero goals in the group stage going into the last match.
Anyone think Chicha would have made a difference?!?!

I think the team is old, and Tata needs to go, but leaving Chicha off the roster was a real bad call.
Even if he wasn’t a starter, he could have been a super sub with a huge impact.

Oh well.
Goals are in short supply this round [hot take].

Mexico right now:

https://www.meme-arsenal.com/memes/369c3fff829e63b7a281bf464b0a6093.jpg

USA right now:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/f30d724c04fa4a5e4bb2690e5adcb967/10b6ccbf5df2ce89-76/s540x810/072128476d4de50fe6382e5e6b5245623eeb6f44.gif

What party?
November 29th, 2022, 02:24 PM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1720481/DEMPSEY-BITCHFACE.gif
The subs had me sweating in injury time, they really, really wanted to lose that game. Keyrist. Congrats to team USA.

On to the Dutchies in the knockout round (we're dead) on Saturday.

Game strategy: Pass the Dutchies on the left hand-side.

Moog
November 29th, 2022, 03:00 PM
Well at least the US get to play 4 matches....that's a big improvement. These young guys have a bright future.

The Orange machine commeth!!! We're doomed. Poor one out for the US, and enjoy the ride!

Ice24
November 29th, 2022, 03:41 PM
So far holding England to 0 is the USA biggest feat. Now the Dutch will be a different story. I just hope it's competitive. 3-1

Moog
November 29th, 2022, 05:51 PM
So far holding England to 0 is the USA biggest feat. Now the Dutch will be a different story. I just hope it's competitive. 3-1

Let's be fair, they drew with 5th ranked England.
Now they are going up against 8th ranked Netherlands.

Just say'n.

What party?
November 30th, 2022, 08:46 AM
Let's be fair, they drew with 5th ranked England.
Now they are going up against 8th ranked Netherlands.

Just say'n.
Moog: Loving the optimism but even if the Netherlands spot us three goals (sloppy play in the box that results in a first ever WC own goal hat trick? sure.) and bench this guy:
https://staticc.sportskeeda.com/editor/2022/11/ee75f-16685163409067-1920.jpg
we're still in trouble.

Heh, since there are roughly four of us posting and Moog is getting super rah-rah for the home team it's giving me these vibes for us and the thread:
https://tv-fanatic-res.cloudinary.com/iu/s--t1mgz79I--/f_auto,q_auto/v1634354362/the-magnificent-four-ted-lasso-s2e5

[obligatory "Believe" gif]

Moog
November 30th, 2022, 09:57 AM
It's the World Cup...anything can and will happen.

Let's hope Gregg learned from the last game and learned who NOT to sub in. I'll be kind and not name names.
Meanwhile Pulisic should be good to go for the match against the Orange monsters (I still have a soft spot for those uni's).....he should be recovering from his "abdominal" injury. (see ballz....goodz.....twig & berries)

I have no illusions that the Netherlands are good....VERY good, but with proper roster selection, and subs, the US can make a go of it. It really will be if the players are up for it, and if Gregg does not screw things up.

Moog
November 30th, 2022, 02:00 PM
Argentina looking good moving on to the round of 16.

That Enzo Fernandez kid is really something. Gets a goal in the previous match, then starts this one, and has some great plays and an assist.

Moog
November 30th, 2022, 02:44 PM
As for Mexico....well......adios, Tata!

"Old" players and a stubborn manager in terms of making selections for the roster = doomed.

Then again its hard to tell "who" or "whom" is making the decisions...Tata or the federation.

Either way, El Tri is in shambles. Burn it down and start over.

What party?
November 30th, 2022, 03:47 PM
As for Mexico....well......adios, Tata!

"Old" players and a stubborn manager in terms of making selections for the roster = doomed.

Then again its hard to tell "who" or "whom" is making the decisions...Tata or the federation.

Either way, El Tri is in shambles. Burn it down and start over.

Hmmm. Mexico. It's hard to gauge their plight this year, everyone I know who would have an opinion is solely focused on Messi/Argentina. Welp, their "kits" were awesome.

Taking a weird turn: Gregg Berhalter was giving me "Tiger King" side-character guy vibes yesterday. The Ed Hardy-esque USA shirt with the grown ass man in Jordan's look. Oof.
https://media.tenor.com/cmwedILasMIAAAAC/boom-roasted.gif
[now you can't unsee it]

What party?
December 2nd, 2022, 02:09 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/Lgb9p7eXSEcp2/giphy.gif

The Lions of Cameroooooooon!

o.m.GAWD!

Japan beats La Roja
S.Korea takes down Portugal
and now the Lions of Cameroon beat BRAAZIIIILL??!!

Moog
December 2nd, 2022, 02:35 PM
I can explain in two words: World Cup.

Tis why it’s so great!

Also absolutely horrible (because FIFA and Qatar are involved)

ucsdguy1
December 2nd, 2022, 04:32 PM
So you're telling the US made it farther than Mexico, Belgium, Germany, Uruguay? I reaaaally hope Pulisic isn't pushing it just to play. Lord help us if he plays for 2 minutes and has to get subbed out.

And this is everything today

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/317236430_10159464518163505_1903690724677782060_n. jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s640x640&_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=5ucDv5xLgr0AX92Q6jH&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=00_AfDnaC9ckMDThEVP4PThuGzm4GR8xqeSjWjNyEEsYwzJ mg&oe=638EE3CB

Ice24
December 3rd, 2022, 09:03 AM
This was a good old fashion ass kicking. With so many kids playing soccer in the USA, I still don’t understand how they aren’t a top 5 country in soccer. I understand that most kids drop out of soccer due to the nature of the sport, however we still have more kids playing than most countries. By now I thought the USA would be able to contend. Well, another 4 years to go.

VCRW
December 3rd, 2022, 09:44 AM
USA defending is laughable. Dutch get handed 3 easy scores. USA goes away...

What party?
December 3rd, 2022, 10:09 AM
USA defending is laughable. Dutch get handed 3 easy scores. USA goes away...

The American's goal had a Dutch leg on it too. So...here we are. Oof.

The Socceroos (which I love as a nickname) are next on list of walking dead.

Moog
December 3rd, 2022, 10:40 AM
Young kids vs top quality country = the result you thought it would be.

The Orange machine played their game.
US never really got to play their game.

Add to that the US had a bunch of missed opportunities on the offensive side of the ball.
They need to finish better. Add to that their set pieces were abysmal throughout.

Now to the big story: Really poor defending.
First goal - lazy run back by the US was costly.
Second goal - not locking it down for the first half, and slow reactions.
Third goal - Laughable rec league defending. Everyone ball watching. Unmarked runner had all day to run in and score.
I’m surprised Turner didn’t lose his mind.

Oh well.
Progress? Yes.
I think expectations will be higher, much higher for the US at the next World Cup (at “home”)

One thing to ponder: US was the only CONCACAF team that made the round of 16.
Things are changing.

Moog
December 3rd, 2022, 11:10 AM
This was a good old fashion ass kicking. With so many kids playing soccer in the USA, I still don’t understand how they aren’t a top 5 country in soccer. I understand that most kids drop out of soccer due to the nature of the sport, however we still have more kids playing than most countries. By now I thought the USA would be able to contend. Well, another 4 years to go.
I don’t know what you mean by “drop out due to the nature of the sport”.

However I can tell you that the USA soccer system is VERY different from the rest of the world in how it develops young talent. Our academy system is very poor. You need academies to develop talent.

The upside: this is changing. There are much, much more academy systems in the US now more than ever before.
From MLS club academies to European affiliated club academies from Serie A, to La Liga. The old way of playing college soccer to be the best is DEAD. The US is adapting to the world standard. It takes time, but the US finally on their way.
The US, and the world at large now knows we have talent, and it’s being “mined” by everyone.

Currently over 250 US players are playing in European leagues. That is big.
MLS talent is in the rise. It pretty much surpasses Liga MX.

There is a lot of upside for US soccer like never before.
It does take time, when you are trying to compete against the world.

05/29/93
December 3rd, 2022, 12:29 PM

Well, you got your wish (1 goal game with under 10 minutes left) and nailed the score too! Wish you had been wrong. :)

Moog
December 3rd, 2022, 04:33 PM
Messi scores in his 1,000 game!
Argentina moves on to face the Netherlands.

That’s going to quite a match!

ucsdguy1
December 5th, 2022, 11:11 AM
I really liked what Japan was doing....until that PK shootout. Yikes.

Argentina/Netherlands and England/France are going to be super fun.

Moog
December 5th, 2022, 11:47 AM
^^ Mbappe is on a tear!!!! France looking to repeat. Looking strong, and dangerous.

Moog
December 5th, 2022, 12:03 PM
USA thoughts on moving toward 2026 World Cup:

US needs/must play in 2024 Copa America. They need that competition since they don't need to qualify for World Cup.

Make it happen......US should hose Copa America too......why not? A trial run for the World Cup sounds good to me.

The USMNT has got to play in a very completive tournament otherwise risk getting rusty with no qualifiers.

What party?
December 5th, 2022, 03:24 PM
I really liked what Japan was doing....until that PK shootout. Yikes.

Argentina/Netherlands and England/France are going to be super fun.
https://media.tenor.com/EyWtUelqAZUAAAAC/kelly-the-office.gif

ucsdguy1
December 5th, 2022, 04:33 PM
USA thoughts on moving toward 2026 World Cup:

US needs/must play in 2024 Copa America. They need that competition since they don't need to qualify for World Cup.

Make it happen......US should hose Copa America too......why not? A trial run for the World Cup sounds good to me.

The USMNT has got to play in a very completive tournament otherwise risk getting rusty with no qualifiers.

So question on this - if US/Mexico/Canada all automatically qualify, what does that do to the rest of Concacaf? Are there extra spots that open up?

I know it's supposed to increase to 48 teams next cycle (which I personally think is a bad idea for product quality) but was curious how that's going to work when you have 3 countries hosting.

I also absolutely agree with competitive tournaments needed. Can we get a special invite to Euro 2024?

I was debating getting tickets to either of the two US games at both LA stadiums next month. But really it's going to pure MLS based as all the Euro guys will be back with their clubs. I've been burned on this before...

ucsdguy1
December 5th, 2022, 04:38 PM
^^ Mbappe is on a tear!!!! France looking to repeat. Looking strong, and dangerous.

I honestly don't see how England gets by them but you just never know. Kane come on, end it now. Let the press have their fun and get some rest before returning to spurs. I secretly root for England too given how closely I follow the premier league. (I'm a closet Ireland fan too - it's like I'm my own walking contradiction). So I'll say, it'll be 2-2 and go to penalty kicks, and England will miss 4 out of their 5 kicks, because England. :)

I have Argentina winning it all, but after today I'm looking at a Brazil vs. France final that would be all kinds of free flowing epic.

What party?
December 6th, 2022, 10:06 AM
I honestly don't see how England gets by them but you just never know. Kane come on, end it now. Let the press have their fun and get some rest before returning to spurs. I secretly root for England too given how closely I follow the premier league. (I'm a closet Ireland fan too - it's like I'm my own walking contradiction). So I'll say, it'll be 2-2 and go to penalty kicks, and England will miss 4 out of their 5 kicks, because England. :)

I have Argentina winning it all, but after today I'm looking at a Brazil vs. France final that would be all kinds of free flowing epic.

Just on the eye test (and the sad storied history) England does seem like the weakest team of the four. But, there are no bad games, which is why this is so awesome. I've been not so secretly rooting for the dutch since August, so, if they get by Argentina, they could take the whole damn thing.
Amster-DAYUM.

VCRW
December 6th, 2022, 10:47 AM
Spain deserves to be going home. What a gutless effort they put in today vs. Morocco. Just an awful game to watch.

Moog
December 6th, 2022, 11:26 AM
....and the world just shook! How does Spain get nil'd in a penalty shoot out?!?!?!?

Crazy!!!

Moog
December 6th, 2022, 03:47 PM
Portugal has an easy time in their match against Switzerland.

Watercooler talk: Ronaldo's "replacement" Ramos get the hat-trick.

What party?
December 6th, 2022, 04:35 PM
Portugal has an easy time in their match against Switzerland.

Watercooler talk: Ronaldo's "replacement" Ramos get the hat-trick.

There are no replacement for these bad boys:
https://imagez.tmz.com/image/d9/o/2016/09/29/d9612f925584538a9e85f9daf4883d6b_md.jpg

ucsdguy1
December 6th, 2022, 04:58 PM
There are no replacement for these bad boys:

says saudi arabia. hiyoooo

spain and japan - rivaling england for worst PK takers in the world since 2022

Morocco is so tough and compact, I'll be curious to see if Portugal can open them up when very few others have.

empire
December 6th, 2022, 08:05 PM
I think England will go to the final. France will not be a problem except for the tears in their eyes.

GO LIONS

Moog
December 6th, 2022, 08:28 PM
^^^That's bold!

What party?
December 7th, 2022, 05:06 PM
I think England will go to the final. France will not be a problem except for the tears in their eyes.

GO LIONS

Empire has this all keyed up to pile on the French's tears:
https://i.gifer.com/SdMp.gif

And...i'm loving it.

ucsdguy1
December 7th, 2022, 05:12 PM
Wish I could say I see it happening. Lord help us (and england) if the game goes to PK's :)

What party?
December 7th, 2022, 06:22 PM
Wish I could say I see it happening. Lord help us (and england) if the game goes to PK's :)

Sure. But as a preface, "I just took a DNA test, turns out I'm 100 percent that b*tch"*, if Croatia, England and the Netherlands drop the big boys, not mad at all.

* Lizzo lyrics

**Lizzo:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AnnualUnfitArawana-max-1mb.gif

Moog
December 7th, 2022, 11:01 PM
You go, Lizzo!
Play dat flute!!!!

empire
December 8th, 2022, 09:03 PM
The Duch vs Argentina game will be key tomorrow, I think the Orange will present themselves as winners .

The French had a great team two years ago but are now down to a one man team, my Brits have finally put together a complete team of scorers but can they reach deep to finish this off.

Who will be the spoiler......

GO LIONS

ucsdguy1
December 9th, 2022, 09:41 AM
The Duch vs Argentina game will be key tomorrow, I think the Orange will present themselves as winners .

The French had a great team two years ago but are now down to a one man team, my Brits have finally put together a complete team of scorers but can they reach deep to finish this off.

Who will be the spoiler......

GO LIONS

Good luck to you sir. I'll be having a nice cup of Yorkshire tea for the game. Curious if England will sit back and play counter attack, or if Neville will set them loose. As an Englishman in training, I would just hope it doesn't go to PK's.

Something tells me the gods of soccer want a Brazil/Argentina match up, so I'm taking Argentina over Holland. Err....Netherlands. I was corrected forcefully that Holland is one region and they now are only referred to as the Netherlands.

Moog
December 9th, 2022, 09:45 AM
Argentina V Netherlands is going to be interesting to say the least.

Netherlands are disciplined and can lock it down, Argentina has not played a "tough" opponent so far in the tournament, and has shown to have some difficulty cracking open teams.
Of course there is Messi, but the team needs to start to show.

Other than Messi (of course) I'm looking for Di Maria and Fernandez to shine in this one.

Moog
December 9th, 2022, 10:49 AM
Croatian Sensation!

Crazy!

What party?
December 9th, 2022, 10:50 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FluffyMeanCoelacanth-max-1mb.gif

VCRW
December 9th, 2022, 10:51 AM
Brazil thought the game was over when Neimar scored.

LOL...

What party?
December 9th, 2022, 10:51 AM
That was AMAZING! Wearing a headband for the rest of the day! PK's!!!!

ucsdguy1
December 9th, 2022, 10:55 AM
Something tells me the gods of soccer want a Brazil/Argentina match up,

this didn't age well!! HFS

Croatia's goalie, my god.

What party?
December 9th, 2022, 10:57 AM
Brazil thought the game was over when Neimar scored.

LOL...

As did I. Dude. That Extra time and the PKs. Set the tone. So fun. Let's keep the party going.

jammer06
December 9th, 2022, 11:00 AM
Gotta admit, that Neymar goal had me convinced it was over. Especially after Croatia had blown the huge one on 5 run to find the trailer.

Moog
December 9th, 2022, 11:36 AM
this didn't age well!! HFS

Croatia's goalie, my god.

You better not have jinxed them both!!!!

empire
December 9th, 2022, 12:32 PM
The river of salty tears has begun...

empire
December 9th, 2022, 01:41 PM
Messi has buried the tulips.

jammer06
December 9th, 2022, 02:04 PM
Wild ending

empire
December 9th, 2022, 02:06 PM
The tulips have risen....

jammer06
December 9th, 2022, 02:07 PM
:popcorn:

What party?
December 9th, 2022, 02:14 PM
Enzo Fernandez made some very tall men, ANGRY. holy shiz.

VCRW
December 9th, 2022, 02:18 PM
Messi has buried the tulips.

It's that kind of day in Qatar...

What party?
December 9th, 2022, 02:21 PM
If Neymar tears is not the lead story today, it is an epic day in Qatar.

What party?
December 9th, 2022, 02:39 PM
Enzo is trying right some serious wrongs, the stripie shirt guys are desperate.

What party?
December 9th, 2022, 02:45 PM
Who was that kat that got shot after the world cup from Columbia? Enzo, gurrrll, you in TROUBLE.

What party?
December 9th, 2022, 02:58 PM
https://media.tenor.com/3lRhsyWq7xkAAAAM/carpool-karaoke-madonna.gif

Congrats, stripie shirt guys.

Moog
December 9th, 2022, 04:39 PM
Argentina moves on!!!

That was definitely squeaky bum time for sure!!!

Messi came through again….sweet goodness that pass on the first goal!

Too much pressure for Enzo to have to shoot on the world stage for being so young.
Thankfully the team pulled out a win, so he wouldn’t have to wear it!

Great matches today. Did not disappoint.

ucsdguy1
December 9th, 2022, 04:47 PM
That was insane.

Today was insane.

https://media.tenor.com/AIjaOSfpU5AAAAAM/major-league-drinking.gif

Moog
December 9th, 2022, 06:21 PM
Argentina v Netherlands:
17 yellow cards plus a red for Dumfries at the end of the match.

ucsdguy1
December 10th, 2022, 09:37 AM
This Grant Wahl story is so sad

VCRW
December 10th, 2022, 10:00 AM
Watching history. Huge congrats to the Moroccan team!

Moog
December 10th, 2022, 10:01 AM
Morocco ���� madness!
The wild shaken again!
Mad props to the entire continent of Africa.

Stunning!

The last ride of CR7 on the big world stage.
Bittersweet to say the least.

Moog
December 10th, 2022, 10:02 AM
Grant Wahl…..
I’m a bit stunned be honest.
US soccer lost a gem in journalism.
Too damn young.
RIP

What party?
December 10th, 2022, 10:51 AM
https://media.tenor.com/pJnatjvzCsoAAAAM/casablanca-shocked.gif
From the first second of play Morocco came out like Portugal would have to take that win from them. Did not know what to expect, was not disappointed. Mo-RAWK-Co. Dang. Hoping the next match, lives up to the last three; as cliche as this has become, I want to use it too: Let's keep that same energy!

VCRW
December 10th, 2022, 01:17 PM
Harry! Kane shows how to take a penalty! Incredible power and placement!

VCRW
December 10th, 2022, 01:52 PM
Harry! Kane shows to take a penalty! Incredible power and placement!

And then Harry demonstrates a choke job... c'est la vie!

empire
December 10th, 2022, 02:06 PM
Too little too late.

The Rosters bit the Lions.

Oh well, next time 2026 we can go watch together.

What party?
December 10th, 2022, 02:07 PM
https://image.gbnews.uk/275140.jpg?imageId=275140&panow=100&panoh=48.366013071895&panox=0&panoy=16.339869281046&heightw=43.119266055046&heighth=100&heightx=37.614678899083&heighty=0&width=1200&height=1200

Every match France wins, Macron grows more chest hair.

What party?
December 10th, 2022, 02:09 PM
Every match should be France v. England. Best of 7 even. Ooo. Good times. Bon Weekend.
=)

Moog
December 10th, 2022, 07:56 PM
Quite the stellar weekend of World Cup matches.
Simply amazing….all of them for so many reasons.
What a game! What a tournament!

Oh, and FIFA is trash….Qatar is disgusting.

Carry on!!

What party?
December 13th, 2022, 01:58 PM
Argentina:
https://y.yarn.co/1277b50b-583d-4909-9e9f-f2e747560653_text.gif

What party?
December 13th, 2022, 02:03 PM
Quite the stellar weekend of World Cup matches.
Simply amazing….all of them for so many reasons.
What a game! What a tournament!

Oh, and FIFA is trash….Qatar is disgusting.

Carry on!!

My only context for FIFA and Qatar is based on what John Oliver reported (read:depressed the **** out me).
https://media2.giphy.com/media/QVxeI5qhmlXAkqaAro/giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e47xhf0c4396fkhpd00kc50cmn3fdu k0vapt4yepdpb&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g

Moog
December 13th, 2022, 03:30 PM
My only context for FIFA and Qatar is based on what John Oliver reported (read:depressed the **** out me).
https://media2.giphy.com/media/QVxeI5qhmlXAkqaAro/giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e47xhf0c4396fkhpd00kc50cmn3fdu k0vapt4yepdpb&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g

John Oliver is absolutely correct.

Moog
December 13th, 2022, 03:35 PM
We will, we will, we will do it again,
We will be the champions.
Like we were in '86.
Come, come, sing with me,
You're gonna find a friend,
And by the hand of Leo Messi,
We are going to run all over the field.

Sing along if you know it!

Vamos Argentina!

Moog
December 14th, 2022, 10:17 AM
Grant Wahl Update:

Wahl's wife, Dr. Céline Gounder, said Wednesday that an autopsy was conducted by the New York City Medical Examiner's Office. “Grant died from the rupture of a slowly growing, undetected ascending aortic aneurysm with hemopericardium,” she wrote on her husband's website, referring to the wall that surrounds the heart.
https://www.weau.com/2022/12/14/grant-wahl-died-aortic-aneurysm-wife-announces/

RIP

Moog
December 14th, 2022, 11:42 AM
First time an MLS player reaches World Cup Final: Atlanta United’s Thiago Almada.

https://sports.yahoo.com/argentina-thiago-almada-mls-world-cup-final-atlanta-united-230525911.html

What party?
December 14th, 2022, 11:49 AM
John Oliver is absolutely correct.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9a/78/48/9a7848668b753b256c41e78306307bf9.gif

Moog
December 14th, 2022, 02:22 PM
Sure likes like the Final will be EPIC!!!

ucsdguy1
December 14th, 2022, 03:04 PM
How to pick this one. I'm going to say 3-2 Argentina in extra time and Messi finally gets his win.

Moog
December 14th, 2022, 04:26 PM
For the first time ever, no British fans were arrested at the World Cup.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2022/12/14/world-cup-2022-england-wales-no-arrests/51072329/

What party?
December 15th, 2022, 01:58 PM
For the first time ever, no British fans were arrested at the World Cup.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2022/12/14/world-cup-2022-england-wales-no-arrests/51072329/

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ExaltedForsakenGarpike-size_restricted.gif
This feels both right and wrong but hey, we are living in complicated times.

That 7am start time on a Sunday feels weird but as a morning person, been training for this my whole life. Get. On. My. Level.
[gym selfie]

France could go back-to-back in a World Cup (first time in 60 years any country has been in this position) or Messi can get the shinny trophy? So much skin in the game, oof, this is really going to hurt. My inner sadist is tenting her fingers in a menacing fashion. =)

https://media.tenor.com/Gmmc51gh8EwAAAAC/mr-burns-excellent-mr-burns.gif

[Dork factor :99 of 100, simpsons, star wars and fubol, oh my]

Moog
December 16th, 2022, 10:01 AM
FIFA rebuffs Zelensky’s request to share message of peace at World Cup final
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/16/football/zelensky-fifa-intl/index.html

Silly Zelensky, you thought you were dealing with common sense, ethical, rational, people.
It's FIFA......if you wanted to share a message of peace, you should have brought the $$$$$, hookers, and blow. Just ask Qatar, they know how to get it done.

What party?
December 16th, 2022, 01:19 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/16/football/zelensky-fifa-intl/index.html

Silly Zelensky, you thought you were dealing with common sense, ethical, rational, people.
It's FIFA......if you wanted to share a message of peace, you should have brought the $$$$$, hookers, and blow. Just ask Qatar, they know how to get it done.

*sigh* Slowly shifting the mood but keeping the theme... What shocks the heck out of me is that Zelensky was a comedian that played a piano with his **** on national TV (there is video on reddit if you're interested) and now he's this magnificent beast asking for a message of peace while fighting for his country's life. Dude's got Michael Scott's character arc. Keep it going my guy.

VCRW
December 17th, 2022, 08:55 AM
Real exciting first half in today's consolation game. That second Croatia goal was artful.

VCRW
December 18th, 2022, 08:27 AM
Great start for Argentina! Ya gotta root for Messi to get this final feather in his cap!

What party?
December 18th, 2022, 09:47 AM
Argentina is not great at holding a lead. Jesus. France is making a game of it.

https://media.tenor.com/5A1kKOobyEAAAAAM/emmanuel-macron-choqu%C3%A9.gif

What party?
December 18th, 2022, 10:07 AM
Extra time. Extra scones and coffee?

VCRW
December 18th, 2022, 10:38 AM
Will that be the final plot twist with Messi the hero? Guess not… penalty to France…

What party?
December 18th, 2022, 11:05 AM
Argentina:
https://media0.giphy.com/media/jwQyCxjOfxSH8IMrrz/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ezzhx5mkt0yuetivs1tngx0s7n6t7 sgdqfojsjm5&rid=200w.gif&ct=g
France:
https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/monty-python-french-taunting-gif-3.gif

France and South America:
https://64.media.tumblr.com/c819ff28d82272ba682f823fadf281da/da5abfda034bf509-f8/s400x600/a90a92b41fe16994239ca7a967613c840eeb702e.gif

Me:
https://media.tenor.com/4PpiSKh5MDkAAAAC/now-what-finding-nemo.gif

Hey, fellas had fun, awesome final, could not ask for more. Hope you did too. =)

Moog
December 18th, 2022, 01:03 PM
One of the best if not THE best World Cup final of all time.
The back and forth. The never say die of both countries.
The GOAT finally winning that elusive trophy.

World class performances by individuals and team plays.

You could not ask for more!

Argentina now has 3 stars.

It was a magnificent World Cup all around.
Bring on the NA World Cup 2026

05/29/93
December 18th, 2022, 05:15 PM
One of the best if not THE best World Cup final of all time.
The back and forth. The never say die of both countries.
The GOAT finally winning that elusive trophy.

World class performances by individuals and team plays.

You could not ask for more!

Argentina now has 3 stars.

It was a magnificent World Cup all around.
Bring on the NA World Cup 2026

The ONLY (and I mean only) downside was that this epic final had to go to penalty kicks. The only way it could have been better was if a late goal had been scored at the end of extra time (which ALMOST happened for both teams!).

ucsdguy1
December 19th, 2022, 04:24 PM
Amazing game, had us all screaming.

Now, can someone please explain to me what this is all about?

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/320812250_5561203800656068_8861313835055352620_n.j pg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg_s640x640&_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=8mENl6TiGlEAX9jQnxv&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=00_AfAaMIzXCpBBxveCrUT5Uc4mO4QrponKw4Atd4cXCBxH Ag&oe=63A66D10

Moog
December 19th, 2022, 09:04 PM
Amazing game, had us all screaming.

Now, can someone please explain to me what this is all about?

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/320812250_5561203800656068_8861313835055352620_n.j pg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg_s640x640&_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=8mENl6TiGlEAX9jQnxv&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=00_AfAaMIzXCpBBxveCrUT5Uc4mO4QrponKw4Atd4cXCBxH Ag&oe=63A66D10

Truth: France fans were booing him when he won the golden glove award.
So he “used it as a d!ck” gesture toward the French fans. You know.

Sorta truth: Deep down each grown man has a 10 year old boy trapped inside and every once in a while that 10 year old has his moment.

What party?
December 20th, 2022, 09:18 AM
https://i.redd.it/94pvmq9sfx6a1.jpg

[I hate myself. just so we are clear.]

Moog
December 20th, 2022, 10:27 AM
Also...it'snot his first time.....he did this when they won Copa America
https://www.ole.com.ar/images/2021/07/11/yCJypHXme_340x340__1.jpg

Apparently the face he makes is from his nickname "Dibu" which is from a cartoon show he watched as a kid
https://i.imgur.com/LjzM1FG.png

Seems the whole thing is "sorta" an inside....long running joke.

ucsdguy1
December 20th, 2022, 10:51 AM
Funny.....I guess?

Also, England won a trophy!

After a riveting World Cup final, England have been crowned champions! Of fair play...

The Three Lions were awarded the prestigious honour by FIFA after Argentina 's dramatic victory over France on Sunday at the Lusail Stadium

Moog
December 20th, 2022, 03:02 PM
You know what they say....Nice guys finish last!

Good job England!

England: The nicest guys who can't convert on penalties.