PDA

View Full Version : The single malt scotch thread

Pages : 1 [2]

lunchbox
November 23rd, 2014, 03:43 PM
So we had the friends over for the massive Scotch tasting of of the several bottles we brought back: Gordon & MacPhails Glen Grant 25, Tomatin Cu Bocan Sherry Cask, Ardbeg Kildalton, Dalmore Distillery Exclusive (18 year finished in two different port casks), 4 Kilchomans, 19 year Laphroig barrel sample, Arran Millennium, Arran Machrie Moor cask strength, Arran sherry single cask, Caol Ila Stitchel Reserve (unpeated whisky), Caol Ila Feis Isle 2013 and 2014, Lagavulin single cask and Glen Moray VC10.

Good times. Sure made the Kings' loss a little less bothersome.

:38smile:

OTTo VoN BLoTTo
December 9th, 2014, 01:26 AM
So we had the friends over for the massive Scotch tasting of of the several bottles we brought back: Gordon & MacPhails Glen Grant 25, Tomatin Cu Bocan Sherry Cask, Ardbeg Kildalton, Dalmore Distillery Exclusive (18 year finished in two different port casks), 4 Kilchomans, 19 year Laphroig barrel sample, Arran Millennium, Arran Machrie Moor cask strength, Arran sherry single cask, Caol Ila Stitchel Reserve (unpeated whisky), Caol Ila Feis Isle 2013 and 2014, Lagavulin single cask and Glen Moray VC10.

Good times. Sure made the Kings' loss a little less bothersome.

I need more friends like you. Or even just one like you. Or, just you. Buddy.

xcheck
December 10th, 2014, 05:30 PM

lunchbox
December 12th, 2014, 06:30 PM

i'd like to unite forces with y'all.

xcheck
March 23rd, 2015, 01:05 PM
Don't know what you all have been drinking, but the other night was Laphroig.

The Select
Triple Wood
Cairdeas
Quarter Cask

10, 15, 18, 25, 30

About 4 different expressions of the 10 at cask strength.
2 young Signatory vintages
19 yr barrel sample

xcheck
July 6th, 2015, 11:12 AM
OK Peat Freaks. Peatin Meetin is back. The LA Scotch Club is putting on the 7th incarnation of what is becoming the premier celebration of peated whisky (at least in the US; can't compete with Feis Isle that goes down annually on Islay). It will be August 15 somewhere on the USC campus... hopefully not in some frosh's dorm room, but at a legitimate outdoor location.

You can expect there to be at least 50 whiskies (actual number is probably closer to 100, but who's counting?), distillery representatives, mixologists serving up peated whisky cocktails, a cigar lounge, master classes and peated BBQ.

Who's in?

xcheck
July 6th, 2015, 06:47 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jose-martinez/peatin-meetin-vi-scotch-f_b_5634673.html

Here's a review from last year's Peatin Meetin. This year should be better because I don't think we'll get doused by the sprinklers going off (different location).

xcheck
September 30th, 2015, 05:02 PM

So, here are a few gems from Peatin Meetin on Saturday. Bear in mind that I think I sampled over 20 whiskies in total. Thank god I got out of pouring whisky for the group, or the night would have been just a total disaster (if you can imagine someone pouring whisky: "one for you, and one for me"). This was just a photo op.

The real standouts here are that Longrow, the OMC Caol Ila 18 and the Supernova (of course). Laphroig is always solid, but that 15 just tasted watered down compared to the 18. The Balvenie was interesting, but the peated version just seemed a little out of place. Unfortunately, the HP and Benromach were just plain forgettable (but that's what tasting is all about).

Slainte

xcheck
April 13th, 2016, 04:51 PM
OK folks; this needs a bump and some activity from other than yours truly. I feel like I'm drinking alone and that's no good. Ergo, sharing this gem as the recent bottle of awesomeness I've tasted. It's a marrying of 4 or 5 different barrels; two of which are peated. The end result is a spicy, slightly peaty, decently aggressive whisky. This is a new series of limited edition releases that Isle of Arran will be producing. It's kind of the new way of marketing whisky. Instead of a standard set of aged whiskies, the distilleries are producing these special releases without age statements (allows them to sell younger whiskies without broadcasting a young age statement).

Anyways, hope you all have dramming too.

jammer06
December 14th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Probably just calling xcheck would be easier but looking for help. My sister is looking to get her boss a good bottle of scotch. She's good for about $100 and as far as I know doesn't know a thing about Scotch. I've not delved into the world seriously at all. Help appreciated for anything she can buy from LA area.

xcheck
December 14th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Probably just calling xcheck would be easier but looking for help. My sister is looking to get her boss a good bottle of scotch. She's good for about $100 and as far as I know doesn't know a thing about Scotch. I've not delved into the world seriously at all. Help appreciated for anything she can buy from LA area.

I woke up with a strange tickle. Lo and behold, someone other than me contributed to this thread that has been in hibernation for quite some time.

$100 can get you a nice a bottle. Avoid grocery stores and chain stores. Depending on where you live, look into some of these places: Mission Liquor, Wine and Liquor Depot, Wades Wines, Hi Times or really any boutique wine shop that also carries liquor. Note that some of those boutique stores can inflate their prices a little more than the aforementioned places. Other than the boutiques, at $100, you're not going to get significant differences in price comparisons.

If you want to get some interesting selections, go to the independent bottlers. These are companies like Signatory Vintage, Old Malt Cask, Gordon & MacPhails, Alexander Murray, etc. These are different than the distillers, but they take the whisky from the distiller (should be identified on the bottle), and is then bottled and sold under the independent's label. These can be some unique expressions of the distiller's whisky.

And remember that an older whisky is just older; not necessarily better.

xcheck
April 22nd, 2017, 11:36 AM

Had a sample of each of these Ardbegs last night. Here was the list:

2 different 10s
Ugi
Nam Beist
Day
Galileo
Kildalton
Supernova
Rollercoaster
Kelpie
Corry
Auriverdes
Perpetuum
Alligator
Ardbog
Dark Cove
Blasda
Renaissance

Super amazing line up. Note: if you eve get a chance to taste the Renaissance, do not pass it up. They are extremely rare and super friggin good.

xcheck
September 7th, 2017, 10:33 AM

Kilchoman tasting last night at the Daily Pint:

Machir Bay (awesome)
Sanaig (good)
100% Islay (good)
Loch Gorm (not my thing)
Kilchoman Tour 2017 (F-in amazing; its a cask strength Machir Bay)

Just a great tasting

shadowalk
November 9th, 2017, 04:48 PM
went to the Lost Spirits distillery tour last Sunday. http://www.lostspirits.net/

They produce a malt beverage that cannot be called whiskey because it has not been aged at least 3 years. Abomination, aptly named. It will turn your tastes buds and mind inside out. They make a single malt beverage in days that others make in decades. If you like heavily peated single malts, these will blow you away. Price is unbeatable.

xcheck
March 10th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Just cracked open a Highland Park Einar. I don't know if this is one of their duty-free-only releases, but I did get it on a recent international trip. I swear that duty free might be the best way to get rid of the rest of your local currency. It's really good. Very briny with red apple notes. Still needs some time to open up a bit, but very good so far.

Makes the Kings' recent 7-1 matinee debacle to the Blues a little more palatable.

xcheck
September 4th, 2018, 08:08 PM
http://www.peatin.com/

It's back and it's this weekend. Seriously good stuff. Tickets are still available.

xcheck
November 22nd, 2019, 11:34 AM
Bump. Recent tasting at my place5937