PDA

View Full Version : UCLA basketball OFFSEASON thread

Wolvie
April 6th, 2008, 10:54 AM
So begins the speculation on who's staying and who's going pro...

... and the talk about who's coming in and where they're going to play...

... and speculation on what changes Howland might make as a result.

Personally, I'd love to see a fullcourt press depending on who stays. I can see not doing that when you've really only got 3 guards, 1 of whom was hurt most of the year. But with 3 elite guards coming in, Roll back, and maybe someone from the current backcourt staying, I'd love to see them add that.

ASUcruz
April 6th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Some booster needs to pay Collison, Westbrook, and Love some money to stay. It's what USC does ;)

Seriously, none of those 3 are going to be awesome pros. Westbrook has the best chance and he has serious holes in his game.

The press is an intriguing idea, but you need athletic big men who can cover a lot of ground to play a full court press. Don't know if UCLA has the big men for that.

Also the guy at UCLA who decided not to put the full court press on James Harden and settle for Chance Stansback should be slapped around a bit. There's no reason for the best player in SoCal to leave the state. I'm sure we compensated Harden well for coming out to the desert, but still.

So Sumi
April 6th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah, next year could be ugly for them.

Wait and see....

ASUcruz
April 6th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah, next year could be ugly for them.

Wait and see....

Well, they are bringing in a top recruiting class.

Plus Stanford is losing the Lopez twins, U of A loses Bayless, and WSU loses Weaver, Low, and Cowgill.

CIrvine
April 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Love stays.
Collison goes.
Westbrook ???

Hoya
April 6th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Love's gone.

Joe Nathan
April 6th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I'd love to see a fullcourt press
Shades of John Wooden days...

Joe Nathan
April 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Love could be gone, unless the education is more important then Basketball.
Time will tell

Hoya
April 6th, 2008, 05:22 PM
You can always go back to school.

A million plus is a lot of money, regardless of how much your family is worth. Especially when you have nothing left to prove at the college level.

ASUcruz
April 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I'd love to see a fullcourt press
Shades of John Wooden days...

Hope he enjoys being the smaller American version of Arvydas Sabonis.

Hoya
April 6th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hope he enjoys being the smaller American version of Arvydas Sabonis.

You are seriously trippin', dude.

ASUcruz
April 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM
You are seriously trippin', dude.

Sean May with far superior passing skills then.

Hoya
April 6th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Sean May with far superior passing skills then.

At the bottom end maybe, but that's still 12+7 a game before May got hurt.

I prefer a less defensively-savvy Elton Brand...

Wolvie
April 6th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Some booster needs to pay Collison, Westbrook, and Love some money to stay. It's what USC does ;)

Seriously, none of those 3 are going to be awesome pros. Westbrook has the best chance and he has serious holes in his game.

The press is an intriguing idea, but you need athletic big men who can cover a lot of ground to play a full court press. Don't know if UCLA has the big men for that.

Also the guy at UCLA who decided not to put the full court press on James Harden and settle for Chance Stansback should be slapped around a bit. There's no reason for the best player in SoCal to leave the state. I'm sure we compensated Harden well for coming out to the desert, but still.

I agree, 'SC is a tad fishy.

Athletic big men? How about no big men at all? Unless you consider Luc and Keefe at the 4 and 5 to be the answer.

There was reportedly concern that a Harden recruitment would affect commitments in this incoming class. So we'll see if that trade-off was worthwhile. FWIW, I think the Bruins were well aware how good Harden was, and it was never a choice between Stanback and Harden as much as it was a present vs. future needs decision.

The Bruins targeted guards for '08, knowing they'd be getting thin, and they pretty much nailed every target including Larry Drew, Jr. They offered, he (his dad) hedged, and they took Jerime Anderson instead (which looks like a good move in retrospect) leaving no scholies for Drew, who then got an offer from UNC.

Next class, the primary target is big men, and they've been offering top prospect big men across the country (with little success at this point). They're going to have a ridiculous number of scholarships, and with lots of holes they may be forced to use many of them despite the class imbalances it may perpetuate.

Wolvie
April 7th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Mata-Real is done. Gonna miss him.

And according to Tracy Pierson at Scout.com...

... Love is gone...
... Collison has planned all year to leave...
... Westbrook is currently leaning toward leaving...
... Mbah-a-Moute and Shipp are both considering putting their names in (sans agents)...
... Aboya may leave a year of eligibility behind because he's done academically with his degree...
... Dragovic is considering going back to Europe, but there's pressure for him to finish his education...

And here's how the scholarship situation looks:

If everyone returned to UCLA next season, UCLA would be one over the NCAA-allowed 13 scholarships. If, say, Love, Collison and Westbrook left, UCLA would then have two scholarships available for the 2008-2009 season.

Wolvie
April 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
ASUCruz, I may have been wrong about Harden. I've read lately that the Bruins were in fact LATE in recruiting him. Not sure that meant there was a choice to be made between him and Stanback, however.

ASUcruz
April 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM
ASUCruz, I may have been wrong about Harden. I've read lately that the Bruins were in fact LATE in recruiting him. Not sure that meant there was a choice to be made between him and Stanback, however.

One thing to keep in mind. Getting Harden, possibly gets you Renardo Sidney! I can't believe ASU is in play with that kid. I highly doubt we get him, but just to be mentioned as a possibility is absolutely nuts for a squad that was barely getting 3 star recruits 4 years ago.

Wolvie
April 7th, 2008, 11:36 PM
One thing to keep in mind. Getting Harden, possibly gets you Renardo Sidney! I can't believe ASU is in play with that kid. I highly doubt we get him, but just to be mentioned as a possibility is absolutely nuts for a squad that was barely getting 3 star recruits 4 years ago.

Now Sidney, THAT is a WHOLE 'nother situation.

UCLA has shown "interest" for as long as anyone, but they've consciously NOT offered him ever.

Sidney is the best big man in the West, in our backyard, and we have a serious need... and we haven't offered him and probably won't.

Like OJ Mayo and other big name recruits who don't get offers from big name schools, it raises some eyebrows. AFAIK, no major schools have offered Sidney to date.

The rumor is that the Sidney family might be looking for some incentives.

Perhaps worse than that, this kid has character issues that are well-advertised. Doesn't play hard, not well-conditioned, allowed by his dad/coach to be a prima donna on his team, acts out on the court.

I don't want UCLA to get Renardo Sidney. And right now, Howland's staff is reportedly only slightly more interested than before and still unlikely to offer, barring some major changes on Sidney's end.

Howland has been very picky at UCLA. This guy doesn't "fit."

Hoya
April 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Sources say Love, Collison will leave UCLA - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla9apr09,1,7991837.story)

Dominoes start falling.

Wolvie
April 8th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Sources say Love, Collison will leave UCLA - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla9apr09,1,7991837.story)

Dominoes start falling.

Tracy Pierson was right on the money.

Hoya
April 8th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Tracy Pierson was right on the money.

It wasn't exactly news when he posted it either though.

Tracy's great as a gossip, but he drives the athletic dept. nuts.

Wolvie
April 8th, 2008, 11:11 PM
It wasn't exactly news when he posted it either though.

Tracy's great as a gossip, but he drives the athletic dept. nuts.

Well, he's been projecting it for weeks, and he's by far the best source I've found. Without Scout.com, I'd be in the dark. I work for UCLA, but nowhere near Morgan.

Okay, I guess it'll be kinda close to Morgan after the move. :)

Hoya
April 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM
If UCLA's Westbrook stays, he'll start at point guard - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla10apr10,1,4014821.story)

Seems like Howland knows Collison/Love are gone but wants to let them announce it on their own.

So Sumi
April 10th, 2008, 09:21 PM
They may not be championship bound next year, but the Bruins will still be hovering somewhere up top the Pac-10 any way you look at it. I have a lot of confidence in Howland's coaching. And as we all know, coaching is a huge factor.

But like ASUcruz was saying, compared to the rest of the conference after all those guys bail for the NBA draft, the Bruins are still okay. You gotta believe.

Wolvie
April 11th, 2008, 10:59 AM
We're apparently looking into a 6'10" Nigerian kid that was originally going to Harvard. Nowhere close to happening yet, but he'd be available next year.

Also, there's a 6'8" kid asking for a transfer from Pepperdine to UCLA. He'd have to sit next year, and that's nowhere near happening yet either.

Wolvie
April 15th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Lance Stephenson, the 6-5 small forward from Brooklyn (NY) Lincoln, the #3-ranked player in the nation for the class of 2009, wants to go as a package to college with his buddy, Renardo Sidney, the 6-9 post from Los Angeles (Calif.) Fairfax, the #2-ranked player in the nation.

Stephenson visited UCLA's campus on Sunday.

The most recent information we have from Sidney is that he wants to stay on the west coast, in Los Angeles preferably. The schools at the top of his list are UCLA and USC, and we've heard ASU is the other he's considering.

We've also heard that if Stephenson does do the "package deal" with Sidney, and comes to the west coast for college, both Sidney and Stephenson prefer that college to be UCLA.

Sources have indicated that if Sidney can get past UCLA's academic admissions, the Bruins will more than likely offer him a scholarship.

Tracy Pierson is pretty reliable, so this is good news... I think. Two one-and-done's, both huge talents. I hope this means that Sidney's issues have been resolved to Howland's satisfaction.

Then again, Greg Hicks (same site) is more reliable, and he says...

1) Package deals rarely happen. Even when the players are lifelong best friends, and high school teammates, package deals rarely happen. In this case, you have a kid in L.A. (by way of Mississippi) and a kid in New York. I'm not holding my breath.

2) The fit issues remain.

3) If, by some miracle, they both end up at UCLA, then the Bruin program is going in an entirely different direction than it has to date under Howland.

Hoya
April 17th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Love, Westbrook expected to declare for NBA draft today - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-newswire17apr17,0,3770451.story)

Hoya
April 17th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Sources: UCLA's Mbah a Moute to declare for draft - LA Daily News (http://www.dailynews.com/breakingnews/ci_8959849)

Romulus
April 17th, 2008, 07:16 PM
UCLA's Love intends to enter NBA draft - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla18apr18,1,7684853.story)

:(

Jerram
April 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Ouch, next season is looking like Howland's gonna need to pull off some miracles.

Wolvie
April 24th, 2008, 07:14 PM
SI article on some of our incomers:

Luke Winn:? UCLA's incoming freshman are all defending the?Howland way - Luke Winn - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/luke_winn/04/24/ucla/index.html?eref=T1)

Hoya
April 27th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Collison will return to UCLA - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-collison27apr27,1,4164428.story)

wow.

ASUcruz
April 27th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Collison will return to UCLA - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-collison27apr27,1,4164428.story)

wow.

Like I mentioned yesterday in the post that got lost. I'm not surprised. Collison had an awful tournament and his stock had to drop.

This is a pretty deep PG draft as well.

Wolvie
April 27th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Must... fullcourt... press...

ASUcruz
May 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM
ESPN - Freshman reserve Stanback to transfer from UCLA - Men's College Basketball (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3375910)

ASUcruz
May 5th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Potentially good news Bruin fans!

J'mison Morgan Asks for Release from LSU, UCLA Becomes (http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=45642&cat=6)

Hoya
May 6th, 2008, 12:13 AM
One of the best centers in the national class of 2008, 6-10 J'mison Morgan, told a newspaper today that he has asked LSU to grant him a release from his National Letter of Intent and that he'll strongly consider UCLA...

J'mison Morgan, the 6-10 center from Dallas (Tex.) South Oak Cliff, the #29-ranked player in the country by Scout.com, could very well be on his way to UCLA.

Morgan signed a National Letter of Intent with LSU back in November, and UCLA was a school he considered seriously.

Since LSU fired Head Coach John Brady, and then hired former Stanford Head Coach Trent Johnson, there have been rumors swirling that the talented Morgan, nicknamed "Bobo," would try to get out of his NLI.

There had also been much speculation that UCLA would be a school he would then consider.

Today, for the first time since the rumors began, there was some real news. Morgan told the Dallas Morning News that he had asked LSU for a release from his NLI.

"It was a real hard decision for me," Morgan told the newspaper. "My comfort level was at LSU, but I felt like UCLA was a better fit for me as far as exposure."

To our knowledge, Morgan has yet to be granted his release, and UCLA has yet to be sent it. Without the release, UCLA can't contact Morgan.

If it indeed happens, it would further cement UCLA's recruiting class as the best in the country, and one of the best nationally in recent years.

Morgan, also, fills a huge need for the Bruins next year, stepping into the shoes left by Kevin Love, who looks certain to keep his name in the NBA Draft.

Morgan is a big, strong athlete with a very good, low-post game. That "piece of the puzzle" could help UCLA be, conservatively, another top five team in the nation for the 2008-2009 season.

Scout.com: Morgan Could be UCLA-Bound (http://ucla.scout.com/2/752701.html)

J'Mison Morgan: 'UCLA was a better fit' (http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/collegesports/2008/05/jmison-morgan-ucla-was-a-bette.html)

Wolvie
May 6th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Potentially good news Bruin fans!

J'mison Morgan Asks for Release from LSU, UCLA Becomes (http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=45642&cat=6)

That's enormous if we get him. It would make this probably the third best incoming recruiting class in UCLA history, and most recruiting experts already think our incoming class is the best in the nation WITHOUT Morgan. He's a true center that can contribute right away, and I'm sure we have to look good to him having featured and then lost Kevin Love at the same position this year.

UCLA was high on his list before he committed to LSU.

If he comes to UCLA, it would be the first time a major high school prospect from outside California/Oregon joined a Howland team. You cannot overstate the significance of that to a school that has been unable to competitively recruit nationally for decades.

Furthermore, Morgan immediately fills our biggest need in a way that no other player will be able to. The only other "5" on the roster would be Gordon, who is much more raw.

Wolvie
May 13th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Sources told FOXSports.com that new LSU coach Trent Johnson plans to honor signee J'mison Morgan's request and will release the senior big man from his Natonal Letter of Intent on Tuesday afternoon, effectively paving the way for Morgan to land at UCLA.

The 6-foot-10, 270-pound Morgan signed with former LSU coach John Brady and appeared to stick with his decision even after Trent Johnson was announced as the Tigers new coach on April 10. However, the family had a change of heart last week and asked for his release. According to sources, Morgan has made no secret of his desire to play at UCLA.

His nickname is Bobo. I think you'll be hearing it at Pauley soon.

Again, this is a HUGE thing. He gives us a needed inside presence, an outside the region recruit, and changes the focus of 2009 recruiting.

Hoya
May 14th, 2008, 02:05 PM
UCLA looks like J'Mison Morgan's new destination - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-morgan14-2008may14,0,5118545.story)

Hoya
May 16th, 2008, 11:41 AM
ESPN - Draft Watch: Love's never looked this good before - NBA (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-080516&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2008%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumni st%3dford_chad%26page%3dDraftWatch-080516)

ASUcruz
May 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Good that he decided to get in shape for the draft and not the season.

Hoya
May 16th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Good that he decided to get in shape for the draft and not the season.

Yeah, he really had a terrible season.

ASUcruz
May 16th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Yeah, he really had a terrible season.

Imagine if he could play above the rim against Dorsey.

Hoya
May 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Imagine if he could play above the rim against Dorsey.

19 year old vs. 24 year old.

ASUcruz
May 18th, 2008, 02:30 PM
19 year old vs. 24 year old.

lol fair enough!

It's good to see Love upping his stock, I think he had a lot to prove coming out of the tournament as his was good but didn't exactly dominate.

On the right team he can have a long NBA career.

What did you guys think of that report on Luc Richard. It seems like most UCLA fans are thinking he would return, but if he can knock down jumpers in these workouts he could sneak his way into the early second maaaaaaaybe late first. I think he would leave if that happens.

Wolvie
May 19th, 2008, 09:18 PM
More from Scout.com:

Alex Stepheson did indeed decide to transfer out of North Carolina last week.

Stepheson, who is from Los Angeles, having attended Studio City Harvard-Westlake, primarily wanted to leave UNC because of the health of his father.

Sources have told us that UCLA is by far his #1 preference.

Unlike when a recruit is let out of his NLI, when a college player transfers, the school he is leaving needs to grant a specific release to each school he is then considering. Sources have told us that UCLA has received Stepheson’s release.

UCLA has contacted Stepheson and his family.

We’ve heard that Stepheson could make a decision on his destination as early as Wednesday of this week.

Stepheson, if he came to UCLA next fall, would have to sit out a year and then be eligible in the 2009-2010 season. He’d be a redshirt junior and have two years of eligibility remaining.

If UCLA does, in fact, get both Morgan and Stepheson, that would give them, officially, 15 players on scholarship for the 2009-2010 season, two over the limit of 13. Two of the players that have submitted their name for the NBA Draft would have to remain in the draft for scholarships to be available for Morgan and Stepheson.

It’s believed that both Kevin Love and Russell Westbrook will stay in the draft, with Love being projected as a mid to late lottery pick, and Westbrook projected in the range from late lottery pick to 20.

Wolvie
May 21st, 2008, 03:56 PM
Morgan will announce his intentions tomorrow. Fellow recruit Malcolm Lee apparently tried to sway him to join him at UCLA.

Stephenson was on campus yesterday to discuss a possible transfer from UNC.

ChilledAgua
May 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
It's official -

Scout.com: Morgan Decides on UCLA (http://ucla.scout.com/a.z?s=12&p=2&c=756761&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fucla.scout.com%2f2%2f756 761.html)

Wolvie
June 15th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Brendan Lane just committed to UCLA. One of the top big men in the west in the 2009 class. Big get for the Bruins.

I don't have a non-subscriber link, but I'm sure you can google it and see if you don't believe me. :)

Wolvie
June 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM
LINKY-POO: SI CHEERLEADER OF THE WEEK (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0806/campus.cheer.ucla.elise/content.1.html?eref=mostpop)

It's pretty darn relevant to this thread. :)

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0806/campus.cheer.ucla.elise/images/Elise-UCLA-24.jpg

Wolvie
June 26th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I didn't see Westbrook going #4.

Nor did I see Love going to Memphis... only to get his rights dealt.

TBrown33
June 30th, 2008, 04:57 PM
LINKY-POO: SI CHEERLEADER OF THE WEEK (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0806/campus.cheer.ucla.elise/content.1.html?eref=mostpop)

It's pretty darn relevant to this thread. :)

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0806/campus.cheer.ucla.elise/images/Elise-UCLA-24.jpg

This one time in Baja...

Wolvie
July 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Howland just signed a massive extension.

The new contract, which runs through the 2014-15 season, includes guaranteed compensation of $1.97 million for the 2008-09 season and escalates to $2.3 million for the 2014-15 season. It also includes the incentive package from his previous contract that has a maximum value of $235,000.

Nice to see that UCLA stopped being cheap. Well, with their mens basketball coach, anyway...

Hoya
July 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Bobcats re-sign C Hollins (http://tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=244397&lid=sublink04&lpos=headlines_nba)

Hollins re-ups with Charlotte.

Not sure if it was noted in here at all, but I'm pretty sure Mata-Real and Bozeman are on the Lakers' summer league squad.

Wolvie
September 1st, 2008, 01:06 AM
Tyler Lamb committed to the Bruins for the 2010 class.

This is one of those commitments that will (if he progresses realistically) look better later than it does now. Not a guy that is well known/regarded nationally, but looks very much to be known as an elite guard/wing type prospect by the time he reaches UCLA.

It is also rumored that UCLA leads for Tyler Honeycutt in the 2009 class. He is a badly needed small forward, and one of the best small forward prospects in the nation. Fingers crossed.

Wolvie
September 5th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I read this quote posted over at Scout.com and had to share it because it's priceless.

This was heard at Men's Gym, after Malcolm Lee started the day a bit wild and out-of-control:

"Hey, he won't be able to get away with the stuff under Coach Howland. He could have got away with that **** under Steve Lavin, and even under Harrick but definitely not under Howland."

That came out of Toby Bailey's mouth. :)

Wolvie
September 17th, 2008, 02:45 PM
HUGE NEWS.

On the heels of losing out to Arizona for 2009 PG Abdul Gaddy, the Bruins got a verbal from Tyler Honeycutt.

Honeycutt is a badly needed SF for the 2009 class and is universally seen as an elite prospect.

Scouting reports are that he's tall (6'8") and lean, with great ball skills for his size, a nice outside shot, and some of the best shot blocking ability of any prospect in the West.

If you look at the roster, and the probable departures to come, this was probably the single most important recruit for the incoming 2009 UCLA class.

Wolvie
October 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Not sure anyone cares... feel like I'm talking to myself here... but...

Class of 2009 center Anthony Stover just committed to UCLA. He's an elite shot-blocking prospect. By all accounts, he's a "Howland kid" in that he's straight-laced with a supportive family, an interest in education, and a willingness to work.

We're one shooting guard away from another obscene recruiting class by Howland.

C Stover
PF Lane
PF Nelson
SF Honeycutt
SG ???

roenick
October 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
You're not talking to yourself. I don't have access to this good info so I love that you are posting it.

I was hoping we could get a team that could end up being a group of great athletes instead of a couple of big time stars that will just leave. Sounds like Howland is trying to build up that kind of team.

Wolvie
October 5th, 2008, 10:39 PM
He's going for a balance, but when you pick amongst the top prospects, you're inevitably going to see a lot of early departures. And those early departures really make it hard to keep depth at every position.

But the overall talent level coming in this year and next is sick. I'd say that between the 9 commits, about half will be drafted someday, and about half of those in the lottery.

To be able to follow a #1 recruiting class with another that will be top 5 (easily) is scary. Reaping the benefits of consistent success and reputation now...

And what's ironic, it's those guys that don't go early or don't get drafted that will hopefully give us consistent depth while the Kevin Loves and Jrue Holidays and Tyler Honeycutts come and go.

On a related note, it sounds like Renardo Sidney got an offer from USC. He's an NBA talent, in LA, and never seriously offered by UCLA. Sound familiar? I'll let you make your own conclusions (until an Outside the Lines report comes out).

ChilledAgua
October 6th, 2008, 06:31 AM
As with Roenick, there are those of us who appreciate your posts on the subject.

Thanks for the info!

Wolvie
October 6th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Well, if you're into holding your breath, UCLA's last best target is Michael Snaer, senior SG for the 2009 class.

After a 2008 class including Jrue Holiday, Malcolm Lee, and Jerime Anderson it's not surprising that prospects aren't climbing all over each other for the scraps of playing time they'd leave.

If Howland misses on Snaer (quite possible), then it will be interesting what UCLA chooses to do. It'll be slim pickings, but given the projected team in 2009, they could really use another guard.

Wolvie
October 23rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
HUGE NEWS.

On the heels of losing out to Arizona for 2009 PG Abdul Gaddy...

STOP THE PRESSES!

On the heels of Lute Olson's impending retirement (despite having promised his recruits that he'd be there this season), Abdul Gaddy has been quoted as saying that this changes things. Gaddy's #2 choice was UCLA, and UCLA has been in contact recently.

If Gaddy decides not to sign with Arizona and commits to UCLA, that is arguably the #1 recruiting class in the country for the second straight year.

I have my fingers crossed. (Makes it hard to type this, by the way.)

C Stover
PF Lane
PF Nelson
SF Honeycutt
SG Abdul Gaddy (?)

Wolvie
October 24th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Given Arizona's replacement coach for Lute, it's a good bet that all of their players will decommit. It's particularly funny, because they took back a scholarship to another kid this year because they had too many elite guys willing to come. Oops.

Also, a clarification. Abdul Gaddy is one of the two best POINT guards in the country in his class. I put him at SG simply because, as it stands, the future-Bruins are loaded with prospects that played POINT in high school. But what they really need going forward is someone to play the 2. Fortunately, several of those guys can play either guard spot easily.

TBrown33
October 27th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Jesus. These two classes back to back is just pure filthy...

Wolvie
October 27th, 2008, 02:22 PM
The latest on Gaddy is that it's between Washington and UCLA.

Early thought was that UCLA was the shoo-in, because it was down to UCLA and Arizona before Gaddy recommitted to the Wildcats. (Note, Gaddy committed to Arizona, then decommitted when Lute waivered about returning, then recommitted to Arizona, then decommitted for good now that Lute is gone.)

Washington jumped back into the mix because it's Gaddy's home state, and it sounds like he and his family are feeling a bit skittish about going out of state after this whole debacle. From what is known, if he decided today, it'd be Washington.

Conventional wisdom is that if Gaddy waits and mulls it over, he'll remember why he almost chose UCLA the first time.

Meanwhile...

Mike Moser, a very skilled wing, also decommitted from Arizona. He would also fit quite well into the UCLA recruiting class, as he can play 2 or 3. Skill guy who can play different roles (though not a great shooter at this stage). UCLA is going after him as well.

Even though UCLA only planned to use 5 scholarships for 2009, it's conceivable that they'd use 6 (including one they aren't guaranteed to have, with the thought that Jrue Holiday is almost surely one-and-done). So UCLA will probably recruit both Wildcat would-be's and worry about the number of scholarships later. But that's highly speculative, as Howland has traditionally been very conservative with his scholarships (resulting in multiple seasons at UCLA without the maximum 13 scholarship players on the roster).

Wolvie
October 29th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Gaddy committed... to the other guys.

He's going to U-Dub. UCLA misses out on him a second time, and Howland made a trip up to Washington for nothing. Publicly, he stated that the whole Arizona thing seemed like a sign he should stay home. Sounds like Lute Olsen may have even told Gaddy to go to UW, which Lorenzo Romar owes him big for. I assume that playing time also had something to do with it. Gaddy is looking to play at the next level, and he will be THE guy at UW whereas he'd be fighting for playing time here. That's why it's hard to pull down back-to-back elite recruiting classes, and a big reason why we still don't have a guard for the 2009 class following the best guard class in the nation for 2008.

Attention turns to Mike Moser, the other victim of the Arizona debacle. He may be a very nice fit given his Luc-like versatility. (That's Mbah-a-moute, not Robitaille.)

And Michael Snaer is still out there, another possibility for a guard to round out the class.

Wolvie
November 8th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I get lots of my info from scout.com (absolutely GREAT for college basketball, particularly UCLA, but not cheap).

Greg Hicks is one of the main contributors. He is pretty much Yoda when it comes to West Coast prospects and UCLA recruits. Lately, he's been pretty sour on a number of things:

He feels that Shipp and Collison are limiting the Bruins because Shipp still thinks he's an NBA-bound slasher/shooter and because the Bruins insist on using Collison as a point when he's really not a natural, instinctive point.

He feels that Holiday is (already) the best player and best point guard on the team, but that he'll probably hold himself back because it's not "his" team, with Shipp and Collison both seniors looking for their shots. He seems to imply that this team will only go as far as Holiday will take it, and that it's not so much if he can but more if they let him.

He feels that Keefe is less effective now (gained muscle, lost quickness), that Aboya still doesn't look like he can provide interior minutes (useless when he holds back, fouls when he doesn't), and that the freshmen centers aren't that close (Morgan isn't fit, Gordon works hard but isn't skilled).

He also notes that in the preseason thus far, the defensive intensity hasn't been Howland-esque and he wonders if it's a lack of leadership on the floor (as provided by Afflalo and then Westbrook in prior years).

Lastly, he wonders what could have been if Luc played the way he's playing now (in the NBA) during his last couple of years (injuries aside). It was pretty obvious that Mbah-a-Moute was pretty effective as a freshman but then changed "his game" and moved away from the rebounding/defense axis towards a more slashing/scoring emphasis.

Meanwhile, on the recruiting front, Mike Moser took an official visit to UCLA.

Wolvie
November 18th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Stay tuned if you're out there, Bruin fans.

Mike Moser was reportedly very happy with his visit to UCLA. Sounds like his list is down to USC and UCLA, and UCLA is the favorite. The signing period ends Wednesday, and it sounds like he'll probably announce.

Moser to UCLA would finish off a nice class. Probably not one that will make most top 5 lists, but one that fills out the roster nicely.

If he commits to us, I'll post a scouting report. Heck, if I get bored later I'll post one.

Wolvie
November 18th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Greg Hicks, the guy whose opinion on West Coast prospects I trust almost implicitly, describes Mike Moser thusly. If Honeycutt is the best small forward on the West Coast, it's like 1A and 1B. Honeycutt is probably the more prolific stat sheet guy, a rangy 6'8" shot-blocking/shooting/passing forward best suited to the play the 3 (vaguely reminiscent of Tayshaun Prince). Moser is 1B, a different kind of player but the kind you love to have on a contender. The kid is versatile at 6'7" with the ability to defend multiple positions a la Mbah-a-moute. In the same class as Honeycutt, he would probably see a lot of time at the 2, and if the defections to the NBA go as predicted, he could see a lot of freshman minutes. Moser is a "terrific" athlete and already defends well. With Howland barking at him in practice, this is going to be the guy we've been dying for in the last few Final Fours, the guy you send out to stop the opposition's scoring wing player. Afflalo defended with heart, but he's not a great athlete and not that long. Westbrook defended with athleticism, but he's not that long either. Moser could be a huge piece of the puzzle in a Howland system. His offense isn't very advanced, but with the pieces we'll have in place it should not matter.

Without being too much of a debbie-downer, I'm not feeling it this year. We'll be okay, by the end of the season, and I do appreciate how much Collison and Shipp have done for this program, but I simply don't see them leading us to the promised land. If we march deep into the tournament again, it will require Holiday and others in his class to mature rapidly.

But this is the first season that Howland has really reaped the benefits of those hard-earned Final Fours in terms of recruiting. The depth and talent level across the team in the coming years will be ridiculous compared to what he started with. He's going to have a small army of big men with 10 times the skill of the Aboya/Mata/Hollins trio he succeeded with. Our backcourt will be guys with better upside than Westbrook/Afflalo/Farmar. And we'll finally replace Shipp with some real wing players (IMO, the most glaring weakness of the Howland era, something every elite team seems to have and usually not a hard position to recruit for). Should be lots of fun.

2009-2010 should look a bit like this. Can you imagine how much Howland must be drooling over that big man depth? Me, I think those are the wings of angels... and the backcourt ain't too shabby, either.

Backcourt:
Jerime Anderson
Michael Roll
Malcolm Lee (can play 1-3)
Jrue Holiday (if we're REALLY lucky / can play 1-3)

Wings:
Mike Moser (if we're lucky / can play 2-4)
Tyler Honeycutt (can play 3-4)

Power forwards:
Nikola Dragovic (this is where they have him now)
James Keefe
Brendan Lane
Reeves Nelson

Center:
Drew Gordon
J'mison Morgan
Anthony Stover

And in the pipe dream where Holiday stays for next year, that would mark the first time ever at UCLA that Howland has actually had all 13 scholarships used.

Looking ahead, I think we badly need more guards. Moser can't play point, which is why Gaddy would have been an amazing get. We're pretty thin in the backcourt going forward, relying heavily on Jerime Anderson and the versatility of some guys to hopefully get by. The only two commits for 2010-2011 are guards, one is a lightly-regarded combo (Kendall Williams) that looks like a mistake at this point, and the other is a 2-guard (Tyler Lamb) that Greg Hicks likes a lot.

Wolvie
November 19th, 2008, 07:55 PM
2009-2010 looks awfully tall now.

C Anthony Stover 6'10" 207 lbs.
PF Brendan Lane 6'9" 200 lbs.
PF Reeves Nelson 6'7" 215 lbs.
SF Tyler Honeycutt 6'8" 190 lbs.
SG/SF Mike Moser 6'7" 185 lbs.

(After some finger-biting moments due to rumors that USC had scored an upset in his recruitment, Mike Moser committed to UCLA. Class complete.)

redxalonso
November 20th, 2008, 10:32 AM
excellent.

Wolvie
November 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM
So Tracy Pierson at Scout.com just wrote up his overlook on the Bruins' 2009 recruiting class. He and Greg Hicks are both very upbeat on the quality of the class. Pierson doesn't think that Scout.com will rank the class near the top, but top 5 is possible, and in his opinion the UCLA incoming class is close to North Carolina's "#1 recruiting class" and actually better than Texas' "#2 recruiting class." Because Pierson and Hicks are West Coast scouts, they know the West Coast kids really well, but a lot of rankings depend on the opinions of scouts from other regions. But since a preponderance of talent comes out of the West Coast, and since they do get to see some of the non-West Coast kids, Pierson at least feels we're going to be underrated by most rankings. Hicks and Pierson flat out dislike some of the West Coast kids that UNC and Texas took.

Here are some brief summaries of Pierson and Hicks' opinions:

Moser - Think Corey Brewer or Luc Richard Mbah-a-Moute. A "freak of an athlete" and quick enough at 6'7" to guard 2's. Not seen enough nationally, and not a great shooter (but has a great stroke) so very underrated by lists. (And he's still in everyone's top 100.) The kind of underrated athletic kid Howland will turn into a shutdown defender and 1st round pick, a la Russell Westbrook. At one point, it looked like we might lay an enormous goose egg on elite wings for this class, the most critical need in 2009, and in the end we landed the two best wings on the West Coast (Honeycutt being the other). You can find some of his highlight reel dunks on youtube...

Honeycutt - He rose quickly up the rankings this year. As the best small forward on the West Coast, one of the two best shot-blockers on the West Coast in the entire 2009 class (the other being center Anthony Stover), great passer, very good shooter, and an underrated rebounder (outstanding per Howland). Top 25 nationally, and an early flight risk.

Stover - A true center but somewhat raw, which means he'll probably be around for more than two years. "Stover is a player we’ve always liked and the national experts caught on this last summer. Whether his national ranking is fitting or not, he has some of the best upside among any player in the national class, with good athleticism and exceptional length, which makes him play even bigger... A few years down the line, when Stover has been in the program, and benefitted from a strength regimen, it’s exciting to think about his potential." - Tracy Pierson

Nelson - Lost some quickness as he bulked up to play football, then got hurt playing football which dropped him off of a lot of scouting radars. Still a top 100 guy, but as high as top 20 before a forgettable summer/fall. Duke was hard after him. A touch short for a power forward, but a tenacious rebounder and still best suited to play the 4. "If perhaps his loss of some explosion last spring was due to the injury, and he can regain it, he’s probably the most under-rated player on the top 100 national list." - Tracy Pierson

Lane - Prototypical Howland #4: good size, good feet, good hands, good rebounder, good mid-range shooter, good energy, good feel, good defender. "Lane also was affected by injury. When he started playing in late spring and summer, he had been off for a few months, recovering from an ankle injury. He never really got in sync for the summer, and didn’t show the capability he had displayed the summer before." - Tracy Pierson

Wolvie
February 4th, 2009, 04:51 PM
So, the rumor floating around the internets is that UCLA has climbed into bed with Renardo Sidney.

In Howland's defense, Sidney has reportedly cleaned up his act on and off the court. But this is still a one-and-done no matter what.

Sidney is scheduled to take the SAT in March, and if he doesn't qualify he's not coming. If he does, a lot of insiders say that UCLA will magically find a scholarship to give him.

It's getting really interesting on the scout.com boards. A few insiders are arguing about where that scholarship will come from. One said Jrue Holiday is going into the draft, which makes sense. But another insists he's staying, and the recent OC Register piece on him implies that as well. The scholarship could also come from Mike Roll, who is rumored to have offered to walk-on next year and pay his own way. He would become a 5th year walk-on, which apparently his family can easily afford. Another scenario is Dragovic playing in Europe, long his rumored plan, to support his parents financially.

With one more ride, UCLA would take Renardo Sidney. The class becomes #1 in the nation, automatically. It would probably be the only class in history where a school took 6 top 100 players all between 6'8" and 6'10". (Well, Moser is probably not really 6'8" but he's at least 6'6".)

There are mixed emotions about the possibility of Sidney coming. His immaturity and questions about character and his family looking for a payout have many feeling that he's not worth the risk, whatever the upside.

But if you're a Sidney fan, the worst case scenario is Jrue Holiday leaving. It leaves us extremely thin in the backcourt and pretty much forces Moser into early duty as a backup SG. You'd have two green sophomores, Lee and Anderson, running the point.

However, Jrue Holiday reportedly went on a recruiting trip with Howland to see Sidney, so maybe that won't happen.

The best case scenario if you're a Sidney fan is that he qualifies, Roll walks-on, and your lineup looks like this:

C Gordon, Morgan, Stover
PF Sidney, Keefe, Dragovic, Nelson, Lane
SF Honeycutt, Moser
SG Roll, Lee
PG Holiday, Anderson

That, my friends, would represent the single most talented roster in the last 3+ decades of Pacific-10 basketball. I would pencil us in as national champions if that goes down.

Wolvie
February 4th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Oh, and Reeves Nelson was involved in a car accident. He was intoxicated, but the driver was not.

Reportedly, per his dad, his UCLA scholarship is not in jeopardy.

Wolvie
February 17th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Renardo Sidney will announce his decision this Sunday.

Sources are predicting it will be UCLA, as I brought up earlier.

Quite a conclusion to an odd saga, if/when it happens.

Still no 6th scholarship in that class, so something will have to give...

redxalonso
February 18th, 2009, 05:05 AM
wow, for a big man, Renardo has a nice j

Wolvie
February 19th, 2009, 09:06 PM
So the latest is that the UCLA athletics department has some misgivings about letting Sidney come. I know I've mentioned before that there were concerns about character and the family's motivations.

It also doesn't help that he hasn't qualified academically yet.

In short, it's not quite the sure thing it sounded like earlier. Seems like Sidney wants us more than we want him.

Personally, I think we're better off as a school without him, but his talent on the court is undeniable.

Hoya
February 21st, 2009, 03:38 PM
Sidney out.

UCLA drops recruitment of Fairfax High standout Renardo Sidney - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/ucla/la-sp-sidney-ucla20-2009feb20,0,5899482.story)

Wolvie
February 22nd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Sidney out.

UCLA drops recruitment of Fairfax High standout Renardo Sidney - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/ucla/la-sp-sidney-ucla20-2009feb20,0,5899482.story)

This is probably best.

The insiders at Scout.com were unwilling to spell it out, but if you read between the lines you could tell they felt UCLA would be compromising its principles in accepting Sidney, all for the sake of bringing in his considerable talent.

redxalonso
February 23rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
He'll end up at SC.

Hoya
February 23rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
He'll end up at SC.

He announced yesterday.

Renardo Sidney goes to great lengths to reveal choice of USC - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sondheimer23-2009feb23,0,5087635.column)

redxalonso
February 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
lol.

It was only a guess on my part based on, well, SC being SC.

Wolvie
February 23rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
lol.

It was only a guess on my part based on, well, $C being $C.

Fixed that for you...

I have trouble believing that the overweight, undermotivated, selfish man-child with a family seeking a handout is going to do much at USC in the year he's there.

When UCLA was considering him, I wanted to believe that Howland could control him and not the other way around, but I had my doubts.

Tim Floyd... ha!

Wolvie
February 24th, 2009, 10:04 AM
It ha$ begun...

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/archives/2009/02/sidney-scene.html

"One of the people who delivered opening remarks at Renardo Sidney's college announcement today was Chris Rivers, who is Reebok's director of basketball sports marketing. More than 200 people attended a catered banquet in the Fairfax High School gym." - Scott Wolf

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/archives/2009/02/contrary-view.html

BTW, Scott Wolf claims UCLA was spinning the story and that Sidney chose USC outright, so we quickly reported that we pulled out to save face.

This is why some of us are a bit leery of even the insidesocal.com blogs, despite the "reputable" sources. There isn't much journalism going on in most blogs, despite the job Rich Hammond has done. If you read carefully, you'll see that he hasn't even claimed that this is his opinion, or that it is from a legitimate source, but presents it misleadingly like it might be both.

Wolvie
April 2nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Tim Floyd to Arizona...

I think this might hurt us. No, Floyd stinks, it has the feeling of a rat jumping ship, and if he does what he's done at SC at UA, they're going to regret hiring him. But...

... there's a rumor that Jamie Dixon would be interested in the SC job. That... would hurt.

Wolvie
April 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Tim Floyd to Arizona...

I think this might hurt us. No, Floyd stinks, it has the feeling of a rat jumping ship, and if he does what he's done at SC at UA, they're going to regret hiring him. But...

... there's a rumor that Jamie Dixon would be interested in the SC job. That... would hurt.

Ha, nevermind then! I guess he's enjoying the overall "lack of institutional control" at USC. Enjoy it while it lasts...

Of course, if Dixon went to Arizona, I'd be bummed.

Atticus
May 4th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Interesting article from the Times about the Renardo Sidney situation.

I guess he was stuck with Mississippi State after UCLA and USC pulled out.

Nothing too new or shocking, really. It just kind of sums it all up. A reminder of how crazy the world of high school and AAU basketball can be.

Renardo Sidney: Taking a pass on a basketball star - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-renardo-sidney4-2009may04,0,3341292.story)

Wolvie
May 4th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Interesting article from the Times about the Renardo Sidney situation.

I guess he was stuck with Mississippi State after UCLA and USC pulled out.

Nothing too new or shocking, really. It just kind of sums it all up. A reminder of how crazy the world of high school and AAU basketball can be.

Renardo Sidney: Taking a pass on a basketball star - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-renardo-sidney4-2009may04,0,3341292.story)

I give credit to the administration at UCLA for stopping Howland from making a huge mistake here, and I give credit to the administration at USC for having more common sense than Floyd, though I have to wonder if USC would have gone there anyway if Mayo hadn't been outed.

Hoya
May 11th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Pauley renovation.

Design Images (http://www.campaignofchampions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=69)

Hoya
August 20th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Sources: Memphis Tigers to vacate 38-win season - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4410862)

We shoulda been in the title game. :)

Wolvie
August 21st, 2009, 10:46 AM
Sources: Memphis Tigers to vacate 38-win season - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4410862)

We shoulda been in the title game. :)

Weak sauce punishment.

Hoya
October 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
YouTube - Rookie Hazing - Darren Collison - Single Ladies

Hoya
October 22nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
UCLA Bruins men's basketball team hit by rash of injuries - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4579226)

Wolvie
October 22nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
UCLA Bruins men's basketball team hit by rash of injuries - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4579226)

Typical Howland practices, I see.

Good news is that Morgan slimmed down a lot, from what I've heard.

Hoya
October 23rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Malcolm Lee, Nikola Dragovic left to lead depleted UCLA Bruins - Seth Davis - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/10/19/ucla/index.html)

"I am now even more confident that 6-10 Seattle native Josh Smith is headed to UCLA. Will be huge get for Howland." - Seth Davis (http://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/status/5078393750)

Wolvie
November 12th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Josh Smith verballed!

Literally the biggest "get" in Howland recruiting since Love.

(I'd say the biggest recruit since Holiday, but Jrue never really did much for/at UCLA.)

I doubt he stays at UCLA very long, but it should be fun while it lasts.

Hoya
November 12th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Smith is great news.

4 days til the CSUF opener. Late 9pm PST start.

UnderPressure
November 13th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Damn it, Harrison Barnes chooses UNC.

Hoya
May 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Wear twins granted release from University of North Carolina, may be looking at UCLA | The Fabulous Forum | Los Angeles Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/05/ucla-basketball-wear-twins-granted-release-from-north-carolina.html)

Wolvie
May 13th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Wear twins granted release from University of North Carolina, may be looking at UCLA | The Fabulous Forum | Los Angeles Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/05/ucla-basketball-wear-twins-granted-release-from-north-carolina.html)

If Howland takes them, it will reek of desperation.

UCLA recruited the Wears for awhile, but in the end I'm not convinced they were ever a good fit for us. Unless they've toughened considerably in Chapel Hill, they still won't be.

Hoya
May 13th, 2010, 09:35 AM
If Howland takes them, it will reek of desperation.

UCLA recruited the Wears for awhile, but in the end I'm not convinced they were ever a good fit for us. Unless they've toughened considerably in Chapel Hill, they still won't be.

I don't see it that way. They aren't going to be world beaters, obviously, but with Morgan and Gordon transferring, we could use the depth. Give them a year to hit the weights and they could be positive contributors in 2011-12.

Wolvie
May 13th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I don't see it that way. They aren't going to be world beaters, obviously, but with Morgan and Gordon transferring, we could use the depth. Give them a year to hit the weights and they could be positive contributors in 2011-12.

The rumor I heard was that in the end Howland wasn't so interested in the Wears because it was clear that they wanted to be soft offensively-oriented perimeter guys and not 6'10" Howland-type forwards. So it's not entirely about the size they could potentially bring. I question the 'tude, and now that they're transferring the red flags are redder.

Things could have changed, of course.

Hoya
May 15th, 2010, 04:44 PM
The rumor I heard was that in the end Howland wasn't so interested in the Wears because it was clear that they wanted to be soft offensively-oriented perimeter guys and not 6'10" Howland-type forwards. So it's not entirely about the size they could potentially bring. I question the 'tude, and now that they're transferring the red flags are redder.

Things could have changed, of course.

I've heard quite the opposite with regard to Howland's interest. I was under the impression Howland was quite enamored with them and still is. Tracy Pierson at BRO is reporting that it's a done deal.

http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2010/01/12/21/accbkbbrothers-113.ART0_GI311VI4T.1+WEAR3.SP.101509.RTW.embedded. prod_affiliate.156.jpg

Give them another year to practice and lift weights, and I think they'll be solid contributors for three years. They'll also be good guys to have around in practice to play against Josh Smith and Anthony Stover, and they don't have character issues like Morgan and Gordon. It also allows Howland to focus specifically on getting wings for the 2011 and 2012 classes.

Also, I really don't think the transfer is that much of a red flag. As a born and raised SoCal guy who just moved out to the East Coast a couple years ago, I can totally understand where they're coming from in wanting to move back. I can hardly wait until next spring when I get to do the same.

Wolvie
May 16th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I hope you're right. I was happy when the Wears DIDN'T come to UCLA the first time, but with the trouble we've had finding and keeping talent lately I don't see it as a terrible thing. At worst, they're probably more useful than a few of the schlubs we just shed.

Hoya
May 25th, 2010, 04:16 PM
David, Travis Wear transferring to UCLA Bruins - ESPN Los Angeles (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/news/story?id=5219398)

Done deal.