Thread: Tales from the beer league part 2

Have Heart
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)

Had our final game and it was rather fun. Got the W and champs for season.

Thought it was gonna be a blow out but the other team came to play. Didnt do much from the blue line on offense which i plan on working on since im taking a season off.

Defensively I did ok getting in lanes and made better attempts at clearing the puck. Started to use the glass more instead of rimming it around and having their D get the puck. Overall it was a fun season playing D every game. I wish i could have some offense to my game but its my first time trying it so im not to bummed out about it. I did feel more comfortable with my skating as season progressed. It really forces you to skate which is what i needed.

Now to learn to skate backwards and add some Offense to my game my shooting from so far out was really lacking smh.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4321 Post(s)

So two bits to report:
    Friday night we had the parent kid skate at an outdoor rink ad it was a blast. Only 4 of us dads got our stuff on but we made it work, lots of siblings on the ice
    I got to wear my kings retro and it was the coolest jersey out there. Props to one of the other dads who had a homemade Sweden that their team uses for beer league play. We goofed around for quite a while, I musta fed mini about 50 one timers and gassed him with it. He was having fun just pounding pucks. One of the other Dads had walked on at Michigan and gave him some pointers.
    We ended the night with a 14 v 14 or so scrimmage light vs dark. Total chaos but hilarious with everyone on ice at once.
    Had the league game last night against a team that had dropped down a division. We won 7-3 but it was 2-2 in the second. It was honestly one of those games where we got that third goal and then the other team got tired and down and we got to smelling blood in the water. Had they scored that third goal it could have been easily them that came out on top the same score. I played D and was managing my knee which decided it was pissed off about something so I didn't try too much on rush. Did get a nice point shot off that fell behind the goalie but the ref lost it and blew it dead right as our winger found it and tapped it in. Thems the breaks sometimes. The only other bit was their jerseys were the oddest combo of light and dark, we started in our darks but the colors were too close. So second period we switched to our lights and it was still confusing. I'll try to find a pic but it was a stripey uniform.

jammer's overlord
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3856 Post(s)

whoo hoo!!! my 4th place team WON our playoff game 7-4 tonight against the #1 team! And we were DOWN 3-0 at the end of the 1st period! Really helped that we finally had a full team. We have had 5 of our 12 guys out with Covid at various points in the season, 1 wedding and honeymoon, 1 engagement, 1 bad breakup (not of either of the 1st 2), and just the usual "can't make it tonight" stuff.

I played forward - didn't have any goals, but was only out for 1 of the goals against AND I played really well. Probably my best game ever at forward. Even the other team was complimenting me after the game because I was forechecking the heck out of them. Helped that we had 3 sets of forwards. (it's 4 on 4 - so we usually just have 8 or 9 skaters - or less - we had 10 tonight). I still suck at playing forward, but my line was mostly out there to kill time and play some defense so the other 2 lines could rest. I did have a couple of very weak shots on goal, though. Now....if only I could win a faceoff....

Next week we play the #3 seed for the championship. We have beaten them 3 out of 3 this season, so we are feeling very confident.
    THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, BROWNIE!

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1544 Post(s)

6-4 loss last night, and an overflowing bench.

Game 2 of the season last night, and for whatever reason we had I'm going to say, 15 people show up, including a former NHL'er that played for the Blues, Caps, Leafs, Ducks (and maybe more?), Terry Yake. Our team had enough of other teams bringing in ringers and no repercussions so we upped the ante. Well, the league director recognized who he was during warmies and said he couldn't play....boooo! Ironically, the other team only had two subs, so we sent three players to their team, including Terry. He was cool and while literally skating circles around us, never shot, and only set up his teammates. They got off to a 2-0 lead, and then I got us on the board with a clapper from the point, top-shelf, glove side! I feel like I'm finding my groove on my shots from the point, it felt great coming off the stick and zipped on by the tendie. A few minutes later my buddy from our daughters hockey programs tied it up. That was as close as we would get to winning. They went up 3-2, then 4-2, and we would score, then they would, so that was that. We did have our regular goalie back and he swore he is in for the rest of the season, which is great because he is pretty good! Our lines were a mess all night long, for half a period we had 5 D, but that didn't last long and they moved the 5th D back up to the forward lines. I have no idea how they were working their lines since I'm always sitting at the far end of the bench. I think one of our other "ringers" we brought in said he is in full-time, so that is awesome and he plays Center and provides some much needed offense!
    Last edited by beedee; February 18th, 2022 at 10:18 AM.

Selke Smooth
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1334 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post

Game 2 of the season last night, and for whatever reason we had I'm going to say, 15 people show up, including a former NHL'er that played for the Blues, Caps, Leafs, Ducks (and maybe more?), Terry Yake. Our team had enough of other teams bringing in ringers and no repercussions so we upped the ante. Well, the league director recognized who he was during warmies and said he couldn't play....boooo! Ironically, the other team only had two subs, so we sent three players to their team, including Terry. He was cool and while literally skating circles around us, never shot, and only set up his teammates. They got off to a 2-0 lead, and then I got us on the board with a clapper from the point, top-shelf, glove side! I feel like I'm finding my groove on my shots from the point, it felt great coming off the stick and zipped on by the tendie. A few minutes later my buddy from our daughters hockey programs tied it up. That was as close as we would get to winning. They went up 3-2, then 4-2, and we would score, then they would, so that was that. We did have our regular goalie back and he swore he is in for the rest of the season, which is great because he is pretty good! Our lines were a mess all night long, for half a period we had 5 D, but that didn't last long and they moved the 5th D back up to the forward lines. I have no idea how they were working their lines since I'm always sitting at the far end of the bench. I think one of our other "ringers" we brought in said he is in full-time, so that is awesome and he plays Center and provides some much needed offense!

My CCM SuperTacks felt pretty good, it was my second time using them. However, I'm thinking I should have gone a 1/2 size up, my toes were pressing against the caps more than I liked when standing up and skating. Enough so that it was on my mind more than it should be. Not sure if I'll order a 7.5 SuperTack, or just say screw it and keep the Vapors, since they work great as is. The SuperTacks are really stiff and I'm not sure if I can tie the lower eyelets tighter without causing pain in my feet. I may give that a shot to see if that allows my foot a few extra millimeters up front. As of now, my foot feels locked in, but its just a smidge too short up front.
    Lol upped the ante? You went nuclear
    "We still have some guys that haven't scored since Jesus was a baby" - Sutter

User formerly known as

I put the D in RICHARSON
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    611 Post(s)

My CCM SuperTacks felt pretty good, it was my second time using them. However, I'm thinking I should have gone a 1/2 size up, my toes were pressing against the caps more than I liked when standing up and skating. Enough so that it was on my mind more than it should be. Not sure if I'll order a 7.5 SuperTack, or just say screw it and keep the Vapors, since they work great as is. The SuperTacks are really stiff and I'm not sure if I can tie the lower eyelets tighter without causing pain in my feet. I may give that a shot to see if that allows my foot a few extra millimeters up front. As of now, my foot feels locked in, but its just a smidge too short up front.
    That's awesome. One time I asked Darryl Evans if he'd play on my roller team and he just laughed.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1544 Post(s)

It's game day! We have the late slot tonight, 8:45pm I know y'all can't wait for my write-up tomorrow!

Btw, I didn't play last week, wasn't feeling good. But I guess our goalie had to work late, no one could find a goalie so we skated with 6 guys. My friend said we used a couple more mobile players to hang back and play more of a "rover" type of position so that we were almost on a PP all game. Ended up losing 8-2, but he said our team was clicking and played great. The other team was being lame and shooting from far outside.

P.S. I really need new gloves, I have some old Nexus 800's with multiple holes in the palms/thumb area patched up with cloth tape and duct tape. Im waiting til our jerseys arrive though so I can try to match up the red/white/blue of our old school Capitals jerseys.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4321 Post(s)

It's game day! We have the late slot tonight, 8:45pm I know y'all can't wait for my write-up tomorrow!

Btw, I didn't play last week, wasn't feeling good. But I guess our goalie had to work late, no one could find a goalie so we skated with 6 guys. My friend said we used a couple more mobile players to hang back and play more of a "rover" type of position so that we were almost on a PP all game. Ended up losing 8-2, but he said our team was clicking and played great. The other team was being lame and shooting from far outside.

P.S. I really need new gloves, I have some old Nexus 800's with multiple holes in the palms/thumb area patched up with cloth tape and duct tape. Im waiting til our jerseys arrive though so I can try to match up the red/white/blue of our old school Capitals jerseys.
    Shoe repair guys can replace the leather if you like the glove otherwise

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1544 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Shoe repair guys can replace the leather if you like the glove otherwise
    Thanks. They are a classic 4-Roll style, I do like them, but often wonder if I'd like a more snug fit? Plus, I'm sure the cost of the repair wouldn't be that far off from a new low to mid end pair?

The Vapor feels good in the fingers but then gets really wide open in the hand/cuff area. Supreme fits more snug all around. On the CCM side, the JetSpeed fits similar to the Vapor and the Tacks to the Supreme. Pure Hockey has a much better variety than Hockey Monkey does (in my area).
    Last edited by beedee; February 18th, 2022 at 10:18 AM.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4321 Post(s)

Thanks. They are a classic 4-Roll style, I do like them, but often wonder if I'd like a more snug fit? Plus, I'm sure the cost of the repair wouldn't be that far off from a new low to mid end pair?

The Vapor feels good in the fingers but then gets really wide open in the hand/cuff area. Supreme fits more snug all around. On the CCM side, the JetSpeed fits similar to the Vapor and the Tacks to the Supreme. Pure Hockey has a much better variety than Hockey Monkey does (in my area).

I had a guy get mine done for $25 about 5 years ago...