4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1499 Post(s)

I decided last week that will be skating out this upcoming season, hopefully on defense.
    Last edited by beedee; May 26th, 2016 at 12:29 PM.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4013 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    hopefully on defense.
    said no one ever

Support the Fans
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    584 Post(s)

I decided last week that will be skating out this upcoming season, hopefully on defense.

Ah that is why you are selling all your goalie gear?

Support the Fans
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    584 Post(s)

Anyone going to Phoenix for the tournament this weekend? If so hit me up. i'm going solo as a free agent for the beer leaguers. Staying at the new hotel in Chandler...

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1499 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirJW View Post
    Ah that is why you are selling all your goalie gear?
    Yeah, my post a few posts back regarding the headshot in warmups two weeks in a row kind of was the nail in the coffin for me.

I wont be going to the Phoenix tourney, have fun!

Have Heart
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    190 Post(s)

Yeah, my post a few posts back regarding the headshot in warmups two weeks in a row kind of was the nail in the coffin for me.

I wont be going to the Phoenix tourney, have fun!
    sucks to hear that experince has ruined it for you. Finally got update on the correct start date for analhiem ice beginner league! It will be june 5th def excited.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirJW View Post
    Anyone going to Phoenix for the tournament this weekend? If so hit me up. i'm going solo as a free agent for the beer leaguers. Staying at the new hotel in Chandler...
    We'll be there to support my buddies team but not playing myself I didn't have a team. It will be great to get away for the weekend nonetheless.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4013 Post(s)

Bummer that you're giving it up beedee but honestly tending isn't for everyone.

I put the D in RICHARSON
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    599 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    said no one ever
    i'd like to play D some day... but my skating sucks

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1499 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Bummer that you're giving it up beedee but honestly tending isn't for everyone.
    Yeah man, ironic that it was almost a year to the date I started. The biggest issue for me was dropping down to Rookie and then moving up to Copper. I skated out in Gold for many years, so it was tough adjusting to the people in front of me lacking the experience, skills, and know-how. Sure it was a great workout, but I felt like I was always busting my ass for the team, while I would see people coasting, not back-checking, etc. Just about anything that could go wrong, did. I had a blast when I subbed in the upper Bronze level, but that was few and far between when sub opportunities presented themselves.

The mental aspect was also HUGE. While it is just rec hockey, it was tough to not hold on to a loss, even when you played your ass off....yet your team couldn't score one or two goals against a team that had a bad goalie. That drove me nuts, I know I can only control me, but it still sucked. As a player, it sucked to lose, but as a goalie, it was the next level of suck, at least for me it was. I'd get psyched up for games a couple days before hand, and carry some anxiety until stepping on the ice. As a skater, I never experienced that. It was more along the lines of "ok, ho-hum, i have a game at 6pm". But as a goalie, it was like "ok, crap, this team has this guy, that guy, and then this ringer that scored 4 on me last game". Another thing I struggled with was getting a decent warmup. Until you are a goalie, you don't really understand that trying to deke the goalie in warmups isn't cool, nor are headshots, or shooting when the goalie isn't facing you, or shooting when the goalie is putting the pegs in the net. I had a couple really cool defensemen that got "it". They were there for me and routinely communicated with me during games and the locker room.

Perhaps I expected too much? I suppose I didn't really know what to expect. What I do know is that it felt more frustrating than fun, and this season in particular, I wasn't looking forward to games. Winning isn't everything, but when you have a 4 game losing streak, that sucks. The team was 3-8 at the time of my departure. All in all, I'm very happy I took the plunge into goalie at the age of 40. I had played goalie growing up in street hockey and roller hockey and it was always a dream of mine to play it on ice.

I'm looking forward to skating out. My experience in goal certainly has made me a more well rounded player, that is for sure.