Page 95 of 110 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales from the beer league part 2

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4359 Post(s)

Definitely getting back into the thing, just changed a flight so I could make my playoff game... Now I gotta hope I'm not too wrecked from the flight

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Just give him the tip?

Images
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1551 Post(s)

Another game down, and another

10-2.

Yet another team that should be in the SILVER division was allowed to drop down because "they didn't want to play Sunday nights". Thus far, each team we have played has been a Silver level drop down. Pretty F'ed up if you ask me, and our goalie played with some of these guys before and said more than half of them played some advanced level of elite hockey...

On to the game, we actually got out to a 1-0 lead, we could hardly believe it. It was short lived though. The first period was close, and in typical fashion it got blown wide open in the 2nd and 3rd. We actually had 10 skaters this time, but 4 were subs. One was really good, so that was cool. We were outshot something like 34-10 (we all know how accurate the SOG stats are in the BHL), but it definitely was lopsided! I had some decent shots from the point, and also intercepted a couple breakout passes just inside the blue line in which I skated into the high slot area and got a couple shots off, nothing got by the tendie though. I felt great all game, considering how fast some of these guys were, I was still able to force them wide and get quite a few poke-checks when they tried to dipsy-doodle around me. Even though we keep getting blown out, I haven't let it get me down at all. Sure its frustrating that teams are allowed to sandbag it in levels they shouldn't be in, but whatever. I'm getting good exercise out there.

Oh yeah, they moved us down from Bronze North to Bronze South, we'll see how that plays out.

Next game, my other team on Saturday night at 10:15pm.

Images
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1551 Post(s)

We won last night, 9-8. (EastWest team) I can’t believe how close all of our games have been, so many have been decided by one goal!

Unfortunately I sustained an Upper Body Injury on my first shift of the game. :( I was going to the corner to retrieve a puck and their forward also was. I decided to hold up a bit to avoid a checking/roughing penalty and we collided. He was about my size and I’m not sure if it was his shoulder or elbow, but at the point of impact my ribs on my right side felt a pretty sharp pain. I fell to the ice on my knees to gather myself. After a few seconds I got up and headed to the bench. The pain kind of subsided initially but remained constant for the rest of the game. This caused me to play much more conservative, I was sure to avoid any body contact at all costs. It hurt ti reach for the puck with my top hand (I’m a lefty, so my right hand). However it didn’t hurt too bad when taking SOG, so that was good.

The game was back and forth all night, we scored, they scored, all the way til the end, except we got the last goal. My D partner and I were feeding each other across the blue line all game and we both got quite a few shots through. No rushes for me though, I hung back all game. This W puts us at 5-2 on the season and in a three-way tie for second. There are still 11 games remaining in the season.

I’m for sure watching from the Press Box for both games this upcoming week to let the ribs heal.

This morning my daughter had her first Learn To Play lesson at Lakewood, it was so cool to see her geared up AND WITH a hockey stick in her hands. She did great, brought a lump to my throat as I watched her skate off on to the ice.

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4359 Post(s)

We won 8-2 last night, in no large part due to them only having 7 guys to our 11. We emphatically skated them into the ground. Still game was clost through two, we just blew it open in the third. Played with the knee brace for the first time and that was better for me so I know I've gotta get to work rehabbing this thing.
    Best part of the game was we show up for the 7:30pm game slot (sweet) and the rink is closed. Kid who was supposed to be there never showed. So we didn't get on the ice til 830 as we waitrd for someone to open the rink up for us. Even when we get a great slot, we can't get outta the rink before 10.
    After the two teams that play us next in the playoffs went at it, and they actually had a fight. So that helps that they both gonna be down a man. Started with stick work earlier in the game and we could all see it coming except the refs. One day they will call the penalties first.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)

So we had our first game. Its also the first time i get to meet the rest of the team and id say its a pretty decent bunch. Had a short bench 9 players so i already had flashes of being burnt out and tired. But we managed shifts pretty good and everyone got a workout.

Now the game itself wasnt so bad. We went down 2 goals within the first 3 mins but we managed to pot 1 in before the end of the first so we thought hey we got some life. I skated on my off wing left side even though im right handed. Is it weird that i like playing on my off side? I feel more comfortable when shooting. Im ok at catching passes on my backhand so i like it. I had a few race to the puck scenarios and i felt confident getting to the puck and not worrying about my stopping.

2nd period we went down 1-4 they had some decent skaters but i didnt feel we were outmatched. Our goalie may be in her 60s and about 5 feet but she is great and really tries so we all kept her in the game making sure she didnt get bummed out. That worked though cause she shut everything down after the 4th goal. We got a minor roughing penalty that we managed to shut down even though we spent the whole time in our zone. Lol all our players just chased the puck around and any clearing attempt was stopped by the D hanging at the line alone.

3rd period we mounted a comeback. We got better shifts they became shorter but we actually changed on the fly this time. Before everyone was waiting for the whistle so people got stuck out there for 3 min shifts. The other team had 13 guys but by 3rd period we got in a groove. I recorded an assist to tie the game. Felt good to contribute and not go a season without any contributions haha!

We just couldn't complete the comeback. We failed in the shootout. I actually took the 5th shot (rare) Im usually scared to try it but said **** it this time. Tried to go 5 hole goalie got this stick down just enough to deflect into his pads and it didn't squeak thru. wahhhhh. We lost on the next goal they made it and we didnt.

Overall solid team and comeback. Someone actually brought some beers and everyone was in good spirits. We stuck around to check out the pre made team that wasnt suppose to happen. They skate really good 5 of them are figure skating coaches... But on the ice with a puck and stick meh they didnt look so dangerous. They can skate but put pressure and they couldnt control the puck. Overall i hope its a good season. I didnt try D cause i chickened out haha.
    Last edited by xLAxKingsx; July 12th, 2021 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4359 Post(s)

BTW beedee, just so you know them throat lumps gonna keep coming. Just try to manage the emotions cuz you're gonna want to not at some point.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    BTW beedee, just so you know them throat lumps gonna keep coming. Just try to manage the emotions cuz you're gonna want to not at some point.

My throat lumps never came back. Lol my daughter hated hockey Never to hit the ice again... le Sigh

Images
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1551 Post(s)

I didn't play in either of my games this week due to my upper body injury, but they went as follows:

Wednesday night, Lakewood: 5-3 loss
    Saturday night, Artesia: 2-1, loss

Daughter had her second Learn To Play on Sunday though. This time around there were maybe half as many kids (21 opposed to the 43 last week). They split the group up in half, basically had the bigger kids at one end, and the smaller at the other. She is still enjoying it and they got to use some pucks during the clinic, was rad to see her stick-handle and shoot the puck (we practice that a bit in our garage)! They usually get 5-10 minutes at the beginning of the skate to play around with pucks also, hoping this next session they get to see more pucks during the drills.
    Last edited by beedee; July 19th, 2021 at 10:47 AM.

I put the D in RICHARSON Luc SkyBomba's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    613 Post(s)

Been taking the little one ice skating the last two weeks. She's loving it! Starting to think about getting us our own pair so we don't need to use those nasty ass toe pick rentals anymore. I'm sure I can find her size easy, but any budget skates come in wide sizes? I'm not likely to be playing hockey on em. Sticking with roller for now.

https://twitter.com/Qmungous/status/1416900654220529665