Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 102

Thread: All Things AEW thread

  1. #91
    <3 Tanner <3
    TooCool's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    21,382
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3845 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1 View Post
    I am 100% with this. NXT just doesn't do it for me much anymore. I can't decide if it is a lack of likeable talent, a lack of engaging matches or a combination of both. And with all the sheets saying Vince is revamping it altogether, see ya. They've ruined Karrion Kross already.

    So apparently we have Bray Wyatt, Daniel Bryan, and potentially Adam Cole coming to AEW. With Miro, Cage, et al, my only concern with so many signings is a lack of space. I love AEW because it gives talent so many may not have otherwise heard of time to shine. The matches are incredible even without huge names, and stylistically totally the opposite of weekly wwe matches. I hope they can sustain the pace, and don't want to see a bunch of those guys/girls getting pushed out that otherwise would be making waves. (We need more orange cassidy!) Also I'd be lying if a small ecw part of my soul loves the fanaticism of AEW crowds and fears that may die down as it gets more and more notoriety. That's just the cynic in me.

    But CM Punk's entrance, I mean yeah. Doing it to start off the show was perfect so as not to have the chants going through all the other matches. He legit looked taken aback (watch the video they put out of him backstage when the crowd reacted and as he walked to the ramp).

    For the first time in a long time I think I may buy a pay per view. I mean I just have to see Punk/Allin, not to mention some of the other insanely tempting matches to take place.

    Also, is there anything more organic than Britt Baker being a total heel and morphing into a crowd favorite anyway? Those "D-M-D" chants are quite vociferous.

    Oh and it's time to get the tag belts on Jurassic Express.
    Agree with everything you said.

    CM Punk more or less confirmed Bryan Danielson tonight as well when the crowd started the "YES" chants and he said we need to be a little more patient.. haha

    The only complaints I have about AEW is that they definitely have too many people on the roster. It's weird to say but I love that they're not on EVERY episode week after week. But at the same time, having them appear in large gaps kind of makes it hard to care about them if that makes sense? Take Miro for example. He's booked properly by being a dominant monster and he picks his opponents. But having him show up for a match once every 2-3 weeks does nothing for me. Then you got guys like Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page. I want to know more about them, but they don't show up enough for me to care. Then you got guys like Jon Moxley and Lancer Archer who seem to be in a very random spot. Hell, what the **** happened to Inner Circle and The Pinnacle? You see what I mean?

    And then we talked about this before. The Standings/Records that are still meaningless IMO. I get that they try to use that to determine who are the next #1 contenders. Like how Christian Cage is 7-0 and Kris Statlander is 14-0. But when you think about how all their wins have been padded on Dark and Elevation, it's dumb. Now don't get me wrong, it's a great way to get the Tag Team like Varsity Blonds on TV tonight because they're 18-4. But again, you see the record and you're thinking, "So what?" Hell, I'm looking at the roster page and Austin Gunn is 26-2! Why isn't he anywhere near the Top 5 in the rankings? You know what I mean? The records may look "impressive" to the casual fans I guess... but it's meaningless when you don't explain the logic behind it.

    However, with those complaints out of the way... I love AEW. Wrestling is fun again, just like when NXT was great. And that's all that matters to me at the end of the day. I just can't watch RAW/Smackdown anymore and their countless camera cuts (Did you see the highlight of Miz turning on Morrison? How are those camera cuts acceptable?), rematches, rollup finishes, etc. Everything about the WWE is just so formulaic and stale. WWE has gotten to the point where they make so much money now with all these sponsorship, network deals, etc that they will never ever fail again, even if the product is absolutely unwatchable. They have truly reached a place where they can do no wrong.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

    LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

    Rink Dawg

  2. #92
    <3 Tanner <3
    TooCool's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    21,382
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3845 Post(s)

    Default

    I purchased All Out. My second AEW PPV Purchase. This is going to be a habit isn't it? LOL.

    But damn it, give me Bryan Danielson, Adam Cole, Ruby Soho AND WHOEVER ELSE YOU GOT!!!
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

    LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

    Rink Dawg

  3. #93
    <3 Tanner <3
    TooCool's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    21,382
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3845 Post(s)

    Default

    Adam Cole debuts. Comes out of the heel tunnel, remains a heel.

    Bryan Danielson debuts. Holy ****!!!!! Got everything I wished for. AEW always delivers.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

    LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

    Rink Dawg

  4. #94
    All Star
    ucsdguy1's Avatar
    Karma: 7739739
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,960
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1204 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TooCool View Post
    I purchased All Out. My second AEW PPV Purchase. This is going to be a habit isn't it? LOL.

    But damn it, give me Bryan Danielson, Adam Cole, Ruby Soho AND WHOEVER ELSE YOU GOT!!!
    I ordered it too. So many thoughts, I don't even know where to begin.

    I at first thought they messed up Adam Cole's debut, by having it completely overshadowed by Daniel Bryan. Have Cole come in with the swerve, and have the bad guys standing tall to end the show, whereas Bryan can come in later. But, they did an awesome job throwing pretty much everyone off. When the lights went out didn't we all think it was Bryan? And even if Cole, did we think he'd just join the elite? The star power is off the charts.

    I don't even think Ruby did a whole lot. She was good, a bit sloppy with Rosa. But you can't deny the emotion and she's got plenty to give. I loved that active wwe wrestlers were tweeting their support directly or indirectly.

    I still maintain they've got a problem with an overabundance of talent and how to fit everyone in. And I hope they keep it to wrestling. But man who in their right mind is going to watch wwe over aew this week? I mean this was a long pay per view that still didn't have Aleister Black, Sammy Guevara, Santana/Ortiz, Brian Cage, Lance Archer, and others involved. Do they really need bray wyatt?

    As to the matches...

    Lucha Bros/Bucks - match of the year candidate if not winner already. I was a little grossed out by Penta kissing his family and getting his blood all over them. But lord those guys deserve it and that was one hell of a crazy match. No more rematches for awhile, let the tag division shine with fresh challengers. (I still maintain Varsity Blondes should be bigger than they are, ha!)

    Punk/Allin - I totally thought Sting was going to turn on Allin when he lost. Punk looked a bit rusty at first but it picked up as the match went on. Think Allin carried it with some of his sells. But good to have Punk back. He sure did look winded, and sure did let the F bombs fly.

    Omega/Cage - Christian put on a show. They both did. Funniest moment might be Omega when he slipped jumping onto the railing then gave the "shhh" to everyone. This match was all about the surprises after, but it was a hell of a lot of fun with two guys who are just great.

    Baker/Statlander - I geeked out like everyone else in the crowd when she did the panama sunrise. Statlander looked great and deserves air time. Baker is so over whether she's a heel or not. Nice to see her win a match clean too.

    Moxley - just seems fitting for him to strong style it out with new japan guys. Minoru and Mox should be another fun, hard hitting match. Minoru's facial expressions (and lack thereof) just make me smile.

    Wight/Marshall - while big show looked like he was having fun, we don't need to see this again.

    Rusev/Kingston - much more fun than it needed to be if you love two hard a**es just smashing each other.

    Casino battle royal - all about Ruby, but I still maintain Thunder Rosa is awesome and a huge add to that division. Could AEW not license out Ruby Soho from Rancid for her theme?

    That was a LONG pay per view, but oh so much fun.
    Last edited by ucsdguy1; September 6th, 2021 at 09:41 AM.

  5. #95
    <3 Tanner <3
    TooCool's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    21,382
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3845 Post(s)

    Default

    Thanks for your thoughts! I enjoyed reading them. I'll quote you in response to my feelings about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1
    I ordered it too. So many thoughts, I don't even know where to begin.

    I at first thought they messed up Adam Cole's debut, by having it completely overshadowed by Daniel Bryan. Have Cole come in with the swerve, and have the bad guys standing tall to end the show, whereas Bryan can come in later. But, they did an awesome job throwing pretty much everyone off. When the lights went out didn't we all think it was Bryan? And even if Cole, did we think he'd just join the elite? The star power is off the charts.
    I know they had that Youtube show they've been doing for a really long time called "Being the Elite". I'll post a Youtube video if you want to watch the "important" parts.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvsXzPEu42k

    Start at 3:40 and ends at 5:50. Then pick it back up again at 10:20 - 16:24.

    Basically, to sum it up really quick... they "killed off Adam Cole" when he was going to WWE 4 years ago. So in Omega's promo at the end of the PPV, he said something along the lines of "The only one that can beat me are either not here (referring to Hangman I'm sure), retired, or dead (which would have been Adam Cole).

    If I had to nitpick about his debut is that Adam Cole came out of the heel tunnel from the beginning. The bigger swerve would be if he came out from the face tunnel first. But yeah, his debut wasn't overshadowed at all since he was a heel. Then you have Bryan Danielson come out as a face. His new theme is a banger too now that I got to sleep on it. I absolutely wanted The Final Countdown but I guess trying to get permission to use certain songs can be a *****.

    Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1
    I don't even think Ruby did a whole lot. She was good, a bit sloppy with Rosa. But you can't deny the emotion and she's got plenty to give. I loved that active wwe wrestlers were tweeting their support directly or indirectly.
    I agree. I think most of it was a chemistry issue as well. Ruby (and the other girls) felt very hesitant in performing certain moves because they're not sure what they wanted to do. I still think overall the Casino Battle Royal is a cluster**** and wish they would improve upon it. Having 5 people run out and trying to show the ring work + entrances is an absolute mess. And the eliminations were too quick after they entered.

    Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1
    I still maintain they've got a problem with an overabundance of talent and how to fit everyone in. And I hope they keep it to wrestling. But man who in their right mind is going to watch wwe over aew this week? I mean this was a long pay per view that still didn't have Aleister Black, Sammy Guevara, Santana/Ortiz, Brian Cage, Lance Archer, and others involved. Do they really need bray wyatt?
    This is the toughest part IMO. It is 100% nice to not see rematches over and over on Dynamite and Rampage. But it does leave people out. Take Miro for example. I love the way he's been booked. But he only had like 1-2 matches in like a month? The rest were like 30 second promos talking about who he wants to destroy. So it's nice to not see him every single week, it can also be bad because when they do show up, it could feel like a throwaway match. The 4 PPVs a year thing is really smart as it makes the PPV feel important. But when you have a feud going, and you only continue it every other week it can be strange.

    Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1
    As to the matches...

    Lucha Bros/Bucks - match of the year candidate if not winner already. I was a little grossed out by Penta kissing his family and getting his blood all over them. But lord those guys deserve it and that was one hell of a crazy match. No more rematches for awhile, let the tag division shine with fresh challengers. (I still maintain Varsity Blondes should be bigger than they are, ha!)
    I always preferred Tornado Tag matches over standard Tag matches. So to put them all in a Steel Cage was amazing. The storytelling was beautiful. Sure, there were lots of planned spots but it was fun to watch. This was definitely match of the year material. Well deserved win for the Lucha Bros. They are insanely over with the crowd. I love it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1
    Punk/Allin - I totally thought Sting was going to turn on Allin when he lost. Punk looked a bit rusty at first but it picked up as the match went on. Think Allin carried it with some of his sells. But good to have Punk back. He sure did look winded, and sure did let the F bombs fly.
    I agree about the rusty part in Punk. You could tell that they worked in so many rest holds for him. But as the match progressed, you could see that Punk started to look like his old self. Sting treating Darby Allin like a son is funny to me. It felt like Darby was saying "I'm sorry I disappointed you dad." when Sting helped him out of the ring. lol

    Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1
    Omega/Cage - Christian put on a show. They both did. Funniest moment might be Omega when he slipped jumping onto the railing then gave the "shhh" to everyone. This match was all about the surprises after, but it was a hell of a lot of fun with two guys who are just great.
    Christian put on a damn good performance. I think the crowd was so burnt out by the time this match happened that they didn't feel as if they were into it as much as they should have. Like you said, it was all about the surprises after, and everyone knew that too. It can be tough to book a match if everyone knows the title wasn't changing hands.

    Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1
    Baker/Statlander - I geeked out like everyone else in the crowd when she did the panama sunrise. Statlander looked great and deserves air time. Baker is so over whether she's a heel or not. Nice to see her win a match clean too.
    What I loved best about this match was the finish of it. I think we all got too used to wrestlers doing a big move and then they're like "OMG!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!" with surprise looked on their face as the camera zooms in on them for a good 10-20 seconds. For this match, Britt Baker used that Panama Sunrise, Kris Statlander kicked out. Britt immediately went for a curb stomp. She kicked out. So immediately, you apply the lockjaw to get her to submit. That's called taking care of business and it makes Statlander look strong in the loss because she did all she could... until she couldn't.

    My only complaint with how AEW books things is that Kris Statlander was like what? 16-0? All 16 of those wins were from jobber matches on Dark and Elevation. They still haven't really explained why W/L record matters. Too many people have inflated records. I think if you look at the Gunn club. I think Billy's kids are like freaking 30-0. So why aren't they #1 contenders? You know what I mean? lol

    Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1
    Moxley - just seems fitting for him to strong style it out with new japan guys. Minoru and Mox should be another fun, hard hitting match. Minoru's facial expressions (and lack thereof) just make me smile.
    Moxley has gained so much weight since he had a kid which is strange. I wonder if it's intentional. But this guy can still put on a damn good match. I feel like he has taken a back seat as of late but as long as he's having fun wrestling the New Japan guys, I'm fine with that. I'm also happy to be learning/hearing about these NJPW wrestlers too. It's a win win! It's also a huge part of why Bryan Danielson is in AEW because he wants to be able to work against them too.

    Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1
    Wight/Marshall - while big show looked like he was having fun, we don't need to see this again.

    Rusev/Kingston - much more fun than it needed to be if you love two hard a**es just smashing each other.
    Miro/Kingston was a good opener. That ref was such a heel though at the end of the match

    Wight/Marshall was dumb. But I'm also okay with that because everyone needs a well deserved bathroom break during a long PPV.

    Excited for Dynamite!
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

    LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

    Rink Dawg

  6. #96
    All Star
    ucsdguy1's Avatar
    Karma: 7739739
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,960
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1204 Post(s)

    Default

    I just re-watched the Britt/Rosa unsanctioned lights out match again. That was intense.

  7. #97
    All Star
    ucsdguy1's Avatar
    Karma: 7739739
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,960
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1204 Post(s)

    Default

    This made me laugh


  8. #98
    All Star
    ucsdguy1's Avatar
    Karma: 7739739
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,960
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1204 Post(s)

    Default

    I've only watched the Danielson/Omega match from Grand Slam so far. I got a text from a friend before watching "Omega/Bryan - 5 star match, A+ and can only go to A++ from here". Not sure I disagree too much

    1. That crowd. holy #$&*(^. Listen to the reaction when the bell rings, and the first time they locked up. Bryan couldn't hide his emotions again and I f'n loved it. And they pretty much kept that feel the entire match.
    2. Was the ending perfect? No. But it actually worked fine to set up a no time limit bout for the title at a future ppv. Sign me up for a ppv of just these two wrestling!

  9. #99
    <3 Tanner <3
    TooCool's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    21,382
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3845 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1 View Post
    I've only watched the Danielson/Omega match from Grand Slam so far. I got a text from a friend before watching "Omega/Bryan - 5 star match, A+ and can only go to A++ from here". Not sure I disagree too much

    1. That crowd. holy #$&*(^. Listen to the reaction when the bell rings, and the first time they locked up. Bryan couldn't hide his emotions again and I f'n loved it. And they pretty much kept that feel the entire match.
    2. Was the ending perfect? No. But it actually worked fine to set up a no time limit bout for the title at a future ppv. Sign me up for a ppv of just these two wrestling!
    I absolutely loved that match. The way Bryan was selling his "seizure" when he got suplexed on the ramp or when he ate those brutal V-Triggers. Holy moly. I honestly don't mind the draw finish. It's better than the blatant DQ and Countout finishes that WWE won't stop doing. One great thing about AEW is the lack of interference and there is almost always a winner and a loser.

    The time limit is interesting too because I could have sworn all non-title matches were 20 minutes? This one went 30. I also feel like they need a better way to announce the time, or at least show us a clock (kind of like in the beat the clock challenge in WWE, but without the wrestlers constantly stare at the jumbotron and stall lol)

    The rest of the show was insanely good. So far all the AEW crowds are killing it. They're all there to have so much fun and thankfully not one idiot have tried to do a "What" chant.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

    LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

    Rink Dawg

  10. #100
    <3 Tanner <3
    TooCool's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    21,382
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3845 Post(s)

    Default

    Tonight's Dynamite is in Rochester, NY. Hard to believe that Brodie Lee was suppose to make his debut in his home city back in March and then the pandemic happened.

    Seems like Tony Khan and AEW are going to dedicate the show in memory of him. I have a feeling this is the perfect night for Bray Wyatt's debut.

    Edit: Or maybe not. Just saw on Reddit that someone mentioned Bray still has like a month left in his no compete clause. Bring back Adam Page to reunite the Dark Order.
    Last edited by TooCool; September 29th, 2021 at 08:35 AM.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

    LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

    Rink Dawg

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •