Thread: All Things AEW thread

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1250 Post(s)

Kings down 2-0 last night, it's quiet in our section. My son yells "they need to send hook!"

No one around us at the game got it. But proud dad.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1250 Post(s)

Ready to go - we got our shirts delivered last night

9 year old son

7 year old son

Me:

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3933 Post(s)

lol! The Aubrey shirt is great.

I was expecting you to wear a Hook shirt though!
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1250 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooCool View Post
    lol! The Aubrey shirt is great.

I was expecting you to wear a Hook shirt though!
    Don't think I didn't consider both of these:

But alas, Aubrey gets it for me. I can't wait to yell "She said 2" at the top of my lungs (and annoy the crap out of my kids).

We're gonna order the ppv this sunday I think.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1250 Post(s)

Man, the Double or Nothing card looks like it could be a 6 hour ppv...

Buy-In:
    Hookhausen vs. Nese/Sterling - Hookhausen wins to get the crowd fired up for the night. Nese will pull Danhausen out of the ring and Hook will demolish Sterling to win.

Other Card:
    CM Punk vs. Hangman Page - finally time for CM Punk to ascend?
    MJF vs. Wardlow - first match, MJF will find a way to cheat and win or get himself disqualified so this can continue.
    Adam Cole vs. Samoa Joe - have this feeling Cole will find a way to take it.
    Hardys vs. Young Bucks - should see some high flying in this one. I'll take Young Bucks.
    Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus vs. Starks/Hobbs vs. Lee/Strickland - finally time for a Cage heel turn? I saw he flips and jurassic express lose the titles. I'll take Lee/Strickland so they have some direction.
    House of Black vs. Death Triangle - one of my most anticipated matches, it will be awesome. Death Triangle will win and Julia Hart may finally turn to the HOB.
    Jericho Appreciation Society vs. Combat Club/Santana & Ortiz - there will be blood and fire. And Jericho will come out on top.
    Thunder Rosa vs. Serena Deeb - the match with the least amount of build up that could potentially be very good? I don't like the idea of Rosa losing the title already, especially with Dynamite in LA next week. So I'll take Rosa.
    Jade Cargill vs. Anna Jay - nothing to see here, Cargill wins again.
    Britt Baker vs. Statlander or Soho - since we don't know who Baker will be facing yet. I'm going to say Statlander with her new persona, then she'll beat Baker after Hayter accidentally causes her to lose.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Cargill/Jay match is moved to the pre-show but who knows. Otherwise there's not really a bad match on the card!

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3933 Post(s)

Did you end up ordering it? I made the decision to purchase it at around 3:30 PM. I just thought "Awwww **** it. I really wanted to watch Hangman vs Punk and MJF vs Wardlow."

Overall, I thought it was a decent show. Definitely not worth the $50 but I'm also not mad/disappointed at the same time. They really need to get to a streaming service ASAP though as B/R Live is pure ass. It wasn't even working until around 4:45 PM. Thankfully the buy-in was on Youtube.

Hookhausen vs Tony Nese & Smart Mark Sterling - First time ever watching Danhausen wrestle. He definitely has an Orange Cassidy feel to him. I can't wait until OC is healthy again so they could form a tag team or something. Hook is 100% a megastar. I'm sure Taz is super proud of him. Also, Mark Sterling got cursed right? He took the fall and then it looks like Jade Cargill dumped him as a manager later in her match.

MJF vs Wardlow - The whole dirt sheet stuff about MJF booking a flight out of Vegas the night before the PPV and how he's totally unhappy about his contract status and whatnot. I honestly think it's a work. And they're keeping up this "drama" because people believe everything they read online these days. It also doesn't help that the Dirt Sheet kind of eggs it on, because they know people want to sound "smart" and be "in the know". It's a vicious cycle really. Anyway, for the match itself this was perfectly booked and a lot of fun. Wardlow was absolutely suppose to murder MJF here. I laughed when the AEW Medical Staff immediately showed up ringside to put him on a stretcher as well. Where does Wardlow go from here? It's obviously too soon for him to challenge for the AEW World Title (that might be for MJF). He should definitely make a run for the TNT Title.

Hardy Brothers vs Young Bucks - I didn't really like this match. I feel like Jeff doesn't have it anymore. He's slow, sluggish, and just looks absolutely run down. Matt is looking like the younger brother and more rejuvenated one at this point. I get that they're going to probably give the Hardy Brothers the AEW Tag Titles soon enough since this is their last "hurrah". But maybe Jeff needs some time off. I know he's still extremely over with the crowd but watching him wrestle kind of makes me sad. With that said though, the match was fun for what it was. It was still a good kind of crazy and the Young Bucks are a lot of fun to watch.

TBS Championship Match: Jade Cargill vs Anna Jay - This match was not good. I like Anna Jay but it's clear that she needs a lot of work still. I feel like the impact of her moves are weak. Like for example when Jade had her in the turnbuckle and Anna was countering with elbow shots to Jade. Those elbows look insanely weak and not believable at all. Then you got Jade, who is still a work in progress. Granted, she has improved drastically since being trained by Bryan Danielson but still, she makes mistakes. So you put together a random match with no buildup and then add a lot of interference to it. With Smart Mark Sterling, the "baddies", Stokely Hathaway (Malcolm Bivens on NXT), and then Kris Statlander & Athena with the save. Very random! lol

But at least this means Jade Cargill and the Baddies have a new manager in Stokely. I laughed when Excalibur said something like Stokely hasn't been seen since 2017 and JR said something like "I never seen him before". Which is true in a sense because I stopped watching NXT when Malcolm Bivens was on NXT actually.) Athena being the next threat for Jade's title is fine by me. Happy that she's finally All Elite. It took awhile!

Death Triangle – Pac, Rey Fenix & Penta Oscuro vs. House of Black – Malakai Black, Brody King & Buddy Matthews - This was a FUN match. All 6 of these men really shined and were able to do what they do best. Brody King had a "botch" by trying to jump over the top rope and his body mostly hit the ring apron. But no one really cared given his size, which is understandable. I marked out when Julia Hart FINALLY joined House of Black. They took forever with this and now I can see why... they basically put it on hold when Rey Fenix broke his arm. All in all, I'm excited to see where House of Black goes from here. The Trios title needs to be official already.

Men's Owen Hart Tournament Final: Adam Cole vs Samoa Joe - This was a good match. I don't think it was great by any means. I really wish Bobby Fish didn't interfere though.. it felt really unnecessary. It's like if you were going to do that, then have Jay Lethal do it, the guy that's actually feuding with Joe. At least that would be a better choice over Fish helping out Cole just because they're friends. With that said though, Cole winning the tournament is fine with me. He kind of needs it after losing to Hangman twice. Let him challenge for the TNT Title next!

Women's Owen Hart Tournament Final: Dr. Britt Baker DMD vs Ruby Soho - Ahh.. this match was okay. I did like how the crowd was split on the two wrestlers and they weren't the same crowd that booed Ruby Soho for beating Kris Statlander. I did feel that we knew Britt Baker was winning since Adam Cole won his match. So what do they do with the titles? It feels like it'll be a yearly tournament like King of the Ring but I don't see them carrying those belts with them. I think having their names engraved on the trophy like the Stanley Cup is awesome though. It can be seen as a big deal for years to come.

Scorpio Sky, Ethan Page & Paige Vanzant (w/Dan Lambert) vs. Frankie Kazarian, Sammy Guevara & Tay Conti - This was my bathroom break match and I took the time to fold laundry as I had zero interest in it. All I have to say is... I'm glad this feud is over. And hopefully Scorpio Sky remains a TNT Champ for awhile so that Sammy Guevara can't challenge for the title for that whole time.

Darby Allin vs. Kyle O’Reilly - I wasn't too into this match as I needed a breather knowing that the PPV was barely half over. Maybe I'll go back and rewatch it later but I just let the stream run in the background. I caught the finish and thought it was fine that Kyle won. He needed it. And also I don't think losses really hurt Darby anymore at this point. lol

AEW Women’s Championship Match: Thunder Rosa vs. Serena Deeb - It took me awhile to get into this match but I thought both women worked hard. I wonder if Serena Deeb will ever win the big one because she deserves it. But I think it was obvious that there's no way Thunder Rosa would lose here since she barely won the title a few months ago.

Anarchy in the Arena Match: The Blackpool Combat Club (Bryan Danielson & Jon Moxley), Eddie Kingston, Santana and Ortiz vs. The Jericho Appreciation Society (Chris Jericho, Daniel Garcia, Jake Hager, Angelo Parker & Matt Menard)
    - This match was SO fun! It was stupid, it was brutal, and it was exactly what was needed to get all that energy back in the crowd. I did however have one major complaint and that was the lack of Eddie Kingston vs Chris Jericho. They all split up in pairs so it was mostly Moxley/Jericho, Danielson/Hager, Santana & Ortiz and Kingston/Menard, Parker, and Garcia for most of the match. The only small interaction between Kingston and Jericho was towards the end when Kingston poured gasoline on Jericho and Danielson.. and then got "killed" by a Judas Effect. He seriously stayed knocked out for like 5+ minutes wtf?

I think the Jericho Appreciation Society winning was fine. I don't think it mattered who won right? It was just great fun to see the destruction.

Backstage segment with Andrade El Idolo introducing a new "business partner" - So he says the AFO is no more and he's sick of losing. He introduces a guy named Rush. I don't know anything about Rush but hey, at least this means Andrade will start winning again right? Where does he go from here? Tag Titles?

AEW Tag Team Championship Match: Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus (w/Christian Cage) vs. Ricky Starks & Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Swerve Strickland & Keith Lee - Fun match. I still hate the Triple Threat Tag team rules where only 2 people are "legal" at any given time. It's going to be chaotic anyway so it should seriously be like a Tornado match with no tags if I had my way. Not much to say here other than the fact that everyone got to shine in their own ways. Jungle Boy seems to get distracted quite easily doesn't he? It'll only be a matter of time for Christian to turn on him as they keep teasing it. Who takes the Tag Titles off of them at this point? FTR? Or do they hold it until they lose to the Hardy Brothers?

AEW World Championship Match: Hangman Adam Page vs. CM Punk - Finally we are at our last match and I think I paced myself well enough because I had the energy to enjoy it and so did the crowd. This was about what I expected in terms of story telling. Hangman deciding not to use the title as a weapon to win came back to haunt him. I think we all knew Punk would be AEW Champ eventually. If this is his one and only run with the title, I'm okay with that.

So yeah, great PPV overall. Maybe not worth the $50 price tag.. but then again I'll always feel like that's a steep price since we were so used to the WWE Network.. But like I said, I'm not mad about it. I honestly don't think I'll buy the Forbidden Door PPV next month though. It's too soon to shell out another $50. Enjoy Dynamite at The Forum!!!!!!!!!

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1250 Post(s)

I ordered it on Directv. My initial thought was – they went WWE and went waaaay too long. We watched the pre-show as Hookhausen was one of the main matches we wanted to see, not knowing it would be on the backside of the hour show. After 3 hours we were beat and there were still multiple matches to come. It’s too much to watch in one sitting. So I’ll just comment on my better liked matches of the night.

Hookhausen match was awesome. Danhausen trying to get a selfie with Hook and smiling was hilarious. Danhausen got enough moves in to show he can actually wrestle. Hook destroyed, and tagging in Danhausen to make the pin was fantastic. Yes Sterling got cursed. I’m 100% sure that also caused Cargill to dump him

CM Punk/Hangman – so my only problem with this match aside from my love for Hangman…I thought Punk looked a bit slow. He screwed up the buckshot lariat twice, and barely got off that superplex from the top rope. And kicking out late when the ref had to stop his count early or he would’ve hit 3? Yikes. But we all knew he’d become champ at some point, and this was the time. Khan is all in on him, I just hope he can keep up high quality matches. I love Punk as much as the next guy but he just seems a step slow for me.

Death Triangle/House of Black – probably one of our favorite matches of the night. As you said, pretty much everyone shined. Julia Hart played her part well. She looks so young it's ridiculous.

MJF/Wardlow – plane stuff was a total work. When MJF started mimicking a plane in the ring I laughed so hard. I totally thought MJF would cheat or allow himself to get counted out and they’d drag the feud on. But Wardlow murdered him, end of story. The crowd chanting “10” around powerbomb #6 or 7 was classic. And loved his appreciation when Schiavone announced he was now “officially” part of AEW.

Rosa/Deeb – I loved this match because of how technical it was. I think the crowd took a break at times but bought into what was happening overall. I hope Rosa gets to celebrate tomorrow night.

Anarchy in the Arena – loved Wild Thing going through the whole song while the match went on. Loved Kingston being so mad he poured gasoline on Danielson to get to Jericho. We can now have a Kingston/Danielson match, or at the least Kingston/Jericho 1 on 1. So much going on here it was hard to unpack. What happened to Santan and Ortiz after they hit the ladder spot? They seemed to disappear. And we needed more freight elevator action! I still think the JAS is awkward as I still have trouble naming the guys in it. But they had to win this one.

Other notes:
    Hardys/Bucks – totally with you. Hardy boys don’t do it for me much anymore. Nice of the Bucks to take the pin but you could tell they were holding back in what could’ve occurred. Jeff Hardy again ran out of the ring when the match ended. Was he hurt?

Martha Hart speech – I liked it a lot. She was seriously honored and made it feel special. Made sense after seeing this that Cole and Baker won. Would’ve been awkward to see Cole and Riot stare at each other. Liked Cole and Baker taking a break from the heel stuff to enjoy the moment and interact with Martha.

Ruby Riot – speaking of Riot….I am a big Rancid guy so it was cool seeing them play. But otherwise, has anyone had less of a cache build since she started? She’s lost to Baker twice and I have no idea where she goes now unless it’s a heel turn.

Matches that didn’t need to happen and could’ve shortened the PPV:
    - Cargill/Anna Jay
    - Sky/Page/Vanzant
    - Allin/O’Reilly (I mean good for O’Reilly, but this felt like a Dynamite match. And at some point Allin has to actually WIN some matches right?)

Potential picks to take the tag titles off Jurassic Express:
    - Hookhausen
    - That’s about it.
    - Okay maybe Andrade/Rush (I don’t know anything about Rush either) and then Hookhausen can take it from them.

And yes, we need the trios titles asap. There are too many good trios not to have it.

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3933 Post(s)

Matches for tomorrow at the Forum!

Rink Dawg

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1250 Post(s)

I think we get Scorpio sky vs Dante Martin too…?

No Jeff Hardy. Hm

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3933 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1 View Post
    I think we get Scorpio sky vs Dante Martin too…?

No Jeff Hardy. Hm
    They pulled Jeff Hardy out of the 10 man tag because he's been really banged up. His AEW matches haven't been good at all in my opinion. He's so slow and sluggish. I'm not expecting him to be young Jeff anymore but he looks terrible in general compared to Matt. And Adam Cole got pulled out of the 10 man tag as well due to an injury suffered against Samoa Joe I believe.

And I don't think they officially announced Scorpio Sky vs Dante Martin. I remember in the promo Sky said he'll fight Martin in Southern California, as he didn't say LA specifically. So it could be on Rampage.

Last edited by TooCool; June 1st, 2022 at 09:30 AM.

Rink Dawg