Thread: Clifford and Campbell to Toronto

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

I remember when I thought trading Simmons was cool because Clifford was gonna be the next Simmons. I mean, the trade was cool, because Richards helped win two cups, but Cliffy never found the offensive touch. Career warrior, great King, and sad to see him go, but was not going to a part of the next great Kings team. Good luck, Cliffy and Campbell.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1631 Post(s)

Good move. 2 players without a future in LA for a 3rd, a 3rd/possible 2nd, and a minimal prospect.
    Lets hope Campbell gets hot and FAnderson misses some time.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    405 Post(s)

Damn I was hoping it would be Lewis but can’t blame Toro to for wanting cliffy. Hopefully now porky can play regularly.
    Go Cambel I guess , get us that 2 rounder for next year .

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    876 Post(s)

I'm hoping Moore isn't another Matt Frattin situation all over again.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3523 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    I would have expected more for what the Kings traded. Maybe my expectations were too high but an "unconditional" 2nd round pick for this should have been a minimum, IMO....or possibly a better prospect. Disappointed....

jom
    MAYBE your expectations were too high? What did you expect to get for an over the hill fourth-line grinder and an inexperienced goalie projected to be a career backup?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

What has happened to LGK? Anyone who understands hockey gets this trade. Aging fourth liner and the goalie everyone here rags on all the time - but apparently someone other than Blake would have got Matthews in return for this stellar package. How much do you people think Clifford has left? I love him too, but I'm glad he gets to go somewhere and compete for something one last time. Did you all see him as the cornerstone of this rebuild? And then the comment of what's the point of the draft picks? What's the point? This team has literally been ranked in the top five of several publications for prospects. Their farm system is ranked #1 by Hockey Writers. I don't know if it's since the cups, but at some point, this place got overtaken by people who literally do not understand how this sport works or are just too blinded by something that happened almost twenty years ago to look at things rationally.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    406 Post(s)

Sometimes I just think some people have an irrational hatred of Blake & in their eyes he could do no right. I don't know if this was a good trade or not. I don't know anything about Moore & who knows how any of the 2 draft picks turn out. But considering that Clifford was a UFA 4th liner & Campbell was #2 of 3 goalies, we're not dealing from any position of strength here. To get what we got is actually pretty good.

I'll still miss those guys. They were both great to have on the Kings. Especially Clifford, who has such great character. I don't wish anyone but the Kings good luck in winning the Cup. But since it won't be us it might as well be the Leafs.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3764 Post(s)

I am surprised at the haul myself. If Clifford comes back or gets us a second I'm good either way. Thanks to him for his years here. Campbell has a chance now to join the cycle of maybe goalies that get signed perpetually in the east. Maybe we will get a decent haul for toff or amart, this sets the market a little higher in my opinion.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    348 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post
    Haha, nobody gonna take this angle? If Clifford signs back in LA this summer, then the Kings just traded their number 3 goalie for Trevor Moore and 2 third round picks. And if Jack wins 6 games the rest of this season and they make the playoffs, then one of those thirds becomes a second.

Do I think that's gonna happen (the part about Cliffy coming back)? Mmmm, probably not. But that means Clifford re-signs with Toronto, which also meets the conditions for getting that second rounder. All in all, not too shabby for the first move of trade season.

Edit: just to add to this, I think it's pretty obvious that the Kings are going to have to add toughness and culture back into this team over the next 2 years. They know that.
    ^^^This is a good way to look at the trade.

With the bind Toronto was in with goaltending and GM Dubas being familiar with both Campbell and Clifford from juniors, I would have liked to have seen a 2nd for each player, no conditions. The thousand oaks kid just a throw in, it makes this trade seem a little more quantity over quality. Sure, Blake has to take him back to accommodate the Leafs cap but we really don't need more Toby Reider

For the record, Clifford is 29 yo. One of the few players on these Kings who was able to adapt his game to a faster NHL

IF this is over the hill in the NHL, then ALL 19 year olds in this system should be on the Kings roster right NOW.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    586 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal_Stick View Post
    What has happened to LGK? Anyone who understands hockey gets this trade. Aging fourth liner and the goalie everyone here rags on all the time - but apparently someone other than Blake would have got Matthews in return for this stellar package. How much do you people think Clifford has left? I love him too, but I'm glad he gets to go somewhere and compete for something one last time. Did you all see him as the cornerstone of this rebuild? And then the comment of what's the point of the draft picks? What's the point? This team has literally been ranked in the top five of several publications for prospects. Their farm system is ranked #1 by Hockey Writers. I don't know if it's since the cups, but at some point, this place got overtaken by people who literally do not understand how this sport works or are just too blinded by something that happened almost twenty years ago to look at things rationally.
    Can't upvote this post enough.