Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)

Default Mike Richards Appreciation Thread

So last night, having seen the NHL Playoffs Archives YouTube Channel thread a couple of days ago, I re-watched Game 1 of the 2012 Vancouver series.

I hadn't watched any of that run in a while, and I'm not usually a guy who remembers a ton of specifics when it's a few years down the line, so watching the game was fun because I knew we won, but forgot exactly how.

But what stood out to me a ton was how much Mike Richards set the tone for that run in this game. He was getting into it all game long with multiple Canucks. Kesler was chirping at him. Burrows was yapping. And some of the other guys, too. And after one of the exchanges, the camera lingered on him for a couple of extra seconds and you just saw this little smirk. Like he recognized what those guys had in them and knew for a FACT that he had them covered easily.

On top of which, he scored the first Kings goal on the powerplay with a shot that, in European soccer circles, might be deemed "cheeky." Which means he kinda had no right to try it under normal circumstances, but he did and it worked to the surprise of everyone but him. And later in the third, with the game seemingly headed to overtime, his relentless pursuit of a play and presence of mind lead to a turnover and immediate pass to Carter who passed it (with his skate!) to Penner for an open net and the game winner.

But when all's said and done, and the numbers get lifted to the rafters, Mike's probably not gonna be up there. And I'm not really arguing it should.

And even when we talk about that run now, it's Kopitar this, and Quick that, and Brown on Sedin. And I'm not really arguing that's not deserved.

I'm just saying Richards deserves to be in conversations more than he is. I know what went down and the mistakes that were made. But still, the guy was the rightfully cocky smirk of this team during it's most important and successful period in its history. He was a winner who played bigger than he was and used his cunning and skill to elevate the team.

So a virtual tip of the cap to Mike Richards, in recognition and thanks for your contributions, sir.

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

I watched that last night, too! I forgot about many of the people on that team - Scuderi, Mitchell, Greene, Fraser, Penner, Voynov (he helped us get two cups, so I’m mentioning him). The “skate pass” from Carter was so good, and timely.
    I forgot about how much I disliked the 2012 Canucks - Burrows and Lapierre, or whatever his name was. That team was so divey. That last few minutes with Richards was awesome. Running Burrows even though we were short handed, and slew-footing him, I think, after taunting each other?
    I forgot about Bitz concussing Clifford, leading to a major penalty, and the tying goal.
    On to game 2, tonight
    Last edited by patton; March 26th, 2020 at 10:04 AM.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

LOVED this guy! No Cups without him. Attitude and performance.
    Got my Richards Stadium Series jersey days before he got caught at the border...I was so pissed!
    He was a true teammate and warrior on the ice.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3760 Post(s)

No doubt about it Richards was playing the game he wanted to play. Game one and two might have been his best performances. Sutter was clearly riding him as long as he could.

I also just have to mention since you brought up Kessler that game one and his tumble at center ice that turned into photoshop gold that year. I'd forgotten clean about it til I rewatched the game this week.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2314 Post(s)

Richards was not a big player but he played like he was. The Kings don't win that first cup without him. A solid player on both ends of the ice, just sad the physical abuse took its toll on such a young man.

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

I was listening to a Spittin' Chicklets and BizNasty was saying that he once spoke to Dean Lombardi and Lombardi said that Richards was the lynch pin. He called Richards his "Derek Jeter." Lombardi couldn't believe he had gotten Richards and considered it a huge win for the LAK and their chances at playoff success. Biz went on to say that Richards was one of the sickest players he ever practiced with and Whitney agreed. The guy had won a Memorial Cup, a gold at the juniors (and did he win Olympic Gold??) and all that was left was a Stanley Cup. And after witnessing what he did in the VAN series he basically laid the gauntlet down to his team mates and that obviously fired them up.

That teams character CANNOT be understated. They claimed they believed in themselves before the regular season ended and proved they just needed a "chip and a chair" (to use a poker analogy).

Oh and Biz and Whit noted they want to get Mike on a podcast and that my friends would be worth listening to!

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roenick View Post
    I was listening to a Spittin' Chicklets and BizNasty was saying that he once spoke to Dean Lombardi and Lombardi said that Richards was the lynch pin. He called Richards his "Derek Jeter." Lombardi couldn't believe he had gotten Richards and considered it a huge win for the LAK and their chances at playoff success.
    I am so glad the for the whole Dry Island thing. And I am very glad Carter hated the s*** outta Columbus. Those two played with a creativity in their first few seasons that was sorely missing from any other Kings team since.

Quote Originally Posted by roenick View Post
    Biz went on to say that Richards was one of the sickest players he ever practiced with and Whitney agreed. The guy had won a Memorial Cup, a gold at the juniors (and did he win Olympic Gold??) and all that was left was a Stanley Cup. And after witnessing what he did in the VAN series he basically laid the gauntlet down to his team mates and that obviously fired them up.
    Memorial Cup - 2003 (Canadian Hockey League Junior Championship)
    Calder Cup - 2005 (AHL Championship)
    Gold Medal - 2005 (World Junior Championship)
    Gold Medal - 2010 (Vancouver Olympics)
    Stanley Cup - 2012 & 2014 (NHL Championship)

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1772 Post(s)

haha, i assume we all watched this game after that thread was made a few days back. Had the same thought. Rewatched gm1 purely to rewatch Richards. I don't own ajersey, but if i ever end up buying one, it'll have his name on the back. Also, i completely forgot about that kick pass to Penner from Carter on the final goal. Amazing stuff.

I will say though, with respect to Richard's name being thrown around in discussion, I do feel like there was a solid contingent of fans here who recognize(d) his efforts. Haven't seen some of them around in a while, but they definitely recognized his value.
    Last edited by Helvetica; March 26th, 2020 at 04:53 PM.

Placebo's a helluva drug
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)

I remember that game fondly. It was a pleasure to see that team bulldoze the canucks, who were the clear favorites after getting one game away from the cup the year before. I hated that canucks team. I think the team gained essential confidence from winning that series.

O Captain, My Captain!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    509 Post(s)

<-------------