Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Assuming we pick Byfield, will we then need Drysdale MORE than Turcotte?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1388 Post(s)

I think it depends on the players available and tiers. Certainly moving up to grab Fagemo was a good move in hindsight. To be honest, I'm not crazy about the idea of trading up just to get a first rounder. I'd rather have 2 second rounders or I'd rather try to move a second for future assets. I think Blake was already quite clever in his trades to get plenty for 2021 in addition to 2020. Mostly so that we don't run into the 50 contract limit trying to sort through all of the kids.

For grins, I've been looking at the 2017 Future Considerations draft primer (https://futureconsiderations.ca/wp-c.../FC_Primer.pdf). With the odds in each tier, I'm not sure 30 overall is better than rolling the dice twice at 35 and 48. Sportnet had an article on this (https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...l-draft-picks/) and I like the takeaway "For example the value of a late first-round pick from a contending team is actually closer in value to any third-round selection than it is to a top-five pick. " Basically 2 or 3 third round picks had the same pick value as picks 26-30.

Circling back to my original thought, I don't try to trade up unless there is an absolute must-have guy to get versus a drop into another tier where the Kings will be picking. For comparison, Scott Wheeler (who I think is OK but not amazing) has his tiers at 1, 2, 3-8, 9-23, 24-53, and 54-100+.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    653 Post(s)

Getting Fagemo was a good move, but they wanted him the year before but didn't have a 7th round pick. In hindsight it would have been cheaper to trade for a 7th rounder in 2018 then for a 2nd rounder in 2019. But we got him.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    685 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    I think it depends on the players available and tiers. Certainly moving up to grab Fagemo was a good move in hindsight. To be honest, I'm not crazy about the idea of trading up just to get a first rounder. I'd rather have 2 second rounders or I'd rather try to move a second for future assets. I think Blake was already quite clever in his trades to get plenty for 2021 in addition to 2020. Mostly so that we don't run into the 50 contract limit trying to sort through all of the kids.

For grins, I've been looking at the 2017 Future Considerations draft primer (https://futureconsiderations.ca/wp-c.../FC_Primer.pdf). With the odds in each tier, I'm not sure 30 overall is better than rolling the dice twice at 35 and 48. Sportnet had an article on this (https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...l-draft-picks/) and I like the takeaway "For example the value of a late first-round pick from a contending team is actually closer in value to any third-round selection than it is to a top-five pick. " Basically 2 or 3 third round picks had the same pick value as picks 26-30.

Circling back to my original thought, I don't try to trade up unless there is an absolute must-have guy to get versus a drop into another tier where the Kings will be picking. For comparison, Scott Wheeler (who I think is OK but not amazing) has his tiers at 1, 2, 3-8, 9-23, 24-53, and 54-100+.

Agreed. All of this is hypothetical, assuming there's a kid the Kings are salivating over, available to one of these desperate trading partners when they get their name called on Zoom.