1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1017 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    Yesterday's article, actually. But I fully expect he'll play for the Kings this season, just not more than the six games he's allowed before eating a year of his ELC. Kaliyev and Turcotte will play too. Of the three, I think Turcotte has the best shot of sticking around.
    Exactly, the speculation is that both Byfield and Turcotte will play at the NHL level this season, but no more than 6 games

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    We have a ton of prospects all fighting for space and they all need a look at the NHL level as well. It's not just Byfield that's affected if he offer him a spot on the team. That affects the development of other guys as well.
    This is an important point. The Seattle expansion draft is coming up at the end of the season. We have a lot of guys that the organization needs to make a decision on. We don't need to make a decision on Byfield. Unless he comes in & blows everyone away, there's no need for him to get more than the the minimum number of games.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    When scouting reports came in on Byfield, virtually everyone said, "he's very good, has a very high ceiling, but he's young and still developing. He's not a lock to make the team out of camp". Hell, several scouts said he was potentially the best player in the draft. Lots of guys that go in the top 5 go in the top 5 because they are more polished. Some guys go high because they're NHL ready. Some go because they have incredible potential. From the 3 you mentioned, Svechnikov cleared waivers this morning. It doesn't always work out. There's a perfectly legitimate argument for not playing Byfield and burning a year off his ELC this season. This rush to the NHL mentality is going to get some players and teams in trouble. There's absolutely no reason he needs to be here this season if he doesn't demonstrate that he can hang. He'll certainly get his game sin, but i don't really understand the argument that he needs to be here this season. Why?
    I think you've got the wrong svetch in your analysis

***didn't see emoso's post above***
    Last edited by jammer06; January 13th, 2021 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Wasn't fully operational

Livin' in God's Country
    Images
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    As I recall, that was Kopitar. The plan was to play him in the minors and he came into camp and made it obvious that he belonged in the NHL. We'll see, but I don't think Byfield will be a repeat.
    Kopitar was drafted in 2005, played a year in Sweden before coming to camp for the Kings, making his debut in 2006.

In Front of Their Net
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Many good points. I hear some guys like Luff had a good camp. To see him play over a guy like Turcotte (injury aside) because you are concerned about salary issues, expansion draft, etc. contradicts the organizations position that the rebuild is over. If that's the tact the team intends to take, then the Kings finish right where ESPN projects them to finish. Pretty close to the bottom. Might as well starting trading guys again, circa 1998.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2341 Post(s)

I would be more than shocked if Byfield played in the NHL this season. I would be shocked if he played next season, however the following season he better be playing in the NHL!

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1829 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SnoochieBoochie View Post
    Many good points. I hear some guys like Luff had a good camp. To see him play over a guy like Turcotte (injury aside) because you are concerned about salary issues, expansion draft, etc. contradicts the organizations position that the rebuild is over. If that's the tact the team intends to take, then the Kings finish right where ESPN projects them to finish. Pretty close to the bottom. Might as well starting trading guys again, circa 1998.
    With all due respect, I don't think any of what we've discussed contradicts the team's position. Part of being a successful team is properly managing assets. We all want these guys to get their shot and bust out on the team, but you cant run a successful sports organization and ignore the realities of the business side. Teams that rush their players, ignore salary issues, expansion drafts, etc... are the teams that lose. And it's not just Turcotte or Byfield that need to be developed properly. There's a slew of guys that all need time to turn into NHL players.

They're going to finish near the bottom because that's the reality of how good the team actually is, not because they refuse to play a guy like turcotte. The difference is, if they don't develop players properly, and they mismanage assets, they'll never get out of the cellar, and we'll be having this discussion for years to come.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1413 Post(s)

Turcotte and Byfield aren't going to be point per game players. There no reason to rush them.
    And the Kings are going to finish at the bottom of the league because they still aren't that good. For the zillionth year, articles are being written looking for secondary scoring behind Kopi and Brown. Other teams signed FA to improve. The Kings did not.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Might be cool to see the Kings win most of the teams games by more than 2 goals too.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1017 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    Turcotte and Byfield aren't going to be point per game players. There no reason to rush them.
    And the Kings are going to finish at the bottom of the league because they still aren't that good. For the zillionth year, articles are being written looking for secondary scoring behind Kopi and Brown. Other teams signed FA to improve. The Kings did not.
    The Kings had to be careful because of the contract limit. The only way they would have likely made anything work is via trade i.e. Laine.