Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1855 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reg or Rog? View Post
    The Miracle on Manchester was great, but The Frenzy on Figueroa was even better. Trust me. It was awesome.
    I was at the frenzy myself with a friend, and it was pretty much everything you described. I was in college at the time, and one of my favorite parts about the whole thing was the following day seeing Kings fans wearing their jerseys on campus (i never once saw anybody wearing one prior to that day), and I remember stopping one guy and just chatting with him for like 10-20 minutes between classes, reliving the whole night. We were both still in awe of what we had witnessed. Truly an amazing sports experience, and one i'll definitely never forget.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    I was at the frenzy myself with a friend, and it was pretty much everything you described. I was in college at the time, and one of my favorite parts about the whole thing was the following day seeing Kings fans wearing their jerseys on campus (i never once saw anybody wearing one prior to that day), and I remember stopping one guy and just chatting with him for like 10-20 minutes between classes, reliving the whole night. We were both still in awe of what we had witnessed. Truly an amazing sports experience, and one i'll definitely never forget.
    Yeah, it was unforgettable. By far the number one memory of attending any sporting event in my life.

The most remarkable thing was the fact everyone knew we were going to win after Thomas scored...even the Red Wings...and it was still a two goal game with under six minutes left. Four minutes later when Stumpel scored, Murray rolled the dice and pulled Potvin. With two minutes left. Pretty ballsy. And the rest is history.

Ironically enough before the start of the third period, Murray mentioned The Miracle on Manchester to the team and suggested rallies in the playoffs are not impossible, even in tight games. Good call.

Last April on the Kings official NHL website, Ian Laperriere, Glen Murray, Philippe Boucher, Felix Potvin, Mathieu Schneider and Bryan Smolinski talk about the game, and especially the crowd.

Some highlights:

Glen Murray - "The fans were absolutely electric. The crowd was absolutely amazing."

Mathieu Schneider - "Incredible feeling. Up until that point, I don't think I had ever heard STAPLES that loud or seen that intensity in the crowd. It was just an incredible feeling being there. The fans were unbelievable."

Bryan Smolinski - "It was electric. I've been in some pretty electric buildings and that was probably one of the loudest."

Ian Laperriere - "The atmosphere and the building was special. There's a core group of fans there had been through thick and thin with that team and you could hear them that night when we tied up that game the building was just crazy."

Felix Potvin - " It was crazy. I remember that after every goal you could see it start to get a little louder. 3-1 it was starting to get louder. 3-2 it was starting to get crazy and then at 3-3 it was like we had won the game."

Philippe Boucher - "The building was out of control."

16,000 crazed Kings fans simultaneously screaming at the top of their lungs. It just doesn't get any better than that.

You can read the full article here:

https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/an-or...oa/c-316756016

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4432 Post(s)

The Frenzy team was so good, so much fun to watch, and so loved by the fans. I really thought they were gonna win the Cup with those guys.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    The Frenzy team was so good, so much fun to watch, and so loved by the fans. I really thought they were gonna win the Cup with those guys.
    Yeah, I thought we were going all the way. Unfortunately in the next round we ran into a hot goalie (Patrick Roy) and an old friend (Rob Blake). And the Avs went on the win the Cup. If we could have beat Colorado, I think we would have won our first Cup. We sure fought hard. Down three games to one, we won the next two...including that double OT thriller at Staples...but the Avs steamrolled us in game seven.

And I've hated Roy since that series...conceited, arrogant prick. That perpetual smirk always reminded me of Mike Keenan. Maybe they're related.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    755 Post(s)

Yeah, I thought we were going all the way. Unfortunately in the next round we ran into a hot goalie (Patrick Roy) and an old friend (Rob Blake). And the Avs went on the win the Cup. If we could have beat Colorado, I think we would have won our first Cup. We sure fought hard. Down three games to one, we won the next two...including that double OT thriller at Staples...but the Avs steamrolled us in game seven.

And I've hated Roy since that series...conceited, arrogant prick. That perpetual smirk always reminded me of Mike Keenan. Maybe they're related.

Looks like he's was pretty sweet on toe-mas. [ i effing know it's not the right series but i've been drinking and fun is my main objective tonight]

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post

Looks like he's was pretty sweet on toe-mas. [ i effing know it's not the right series but i've been drinking and fun is my main objective tonight]
    Nice! Thanks!

Yup, that's The Face.

In 2001 I got into a verbal spat with a columnist for the Denver Post. Woody Paige and I had been exchanging emails for some time...he's a really cool guy...until I brought this up:

Roy Arrested on Domestic Violence Charges

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=100258&page=1

He didn't like that. But it didn't surprise me. Patrick looks like a wife-beater.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)

Groundhog day was Patrick Roy in the playoffs

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    755 Post(s)

Nice! Thanks!

Yup, that's The Face.

In 2001 I got into a verbal spat with a columnist for the Denver Post. Woody Paige and I had been exchanging emails for some time...he's a really cool guy...until I brought this up:

Roy Arrested on Domestic Violence Charges

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=100258&page=1

He didn't like that. But it didn't surprise me. Patrick looks like a wife-beater.
    Oof. I'm aware and that's a fight I'd always have time for but with that said, throwing this stone because i'm a weirdo (argument:game recognizes game); there is nothing about Patrick Roy that reads: stable.

Back to the good times, any Kings reference that includes a french-canadian third line center as the hero OR a lappy quote, is a great post.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    Oof. I'm aware and that's a fight I'd always have time for but with that said, throwing this stone because i'm a weirdo (argument:game recognizes game); there is nothing about Patrick Roy that reads: stable.

Back to the good times, any Kings reference that includes a french-canadian third line center as the hero OR a lappy quote, is a great post.
    Yeah, Roy was a great goalie...blah blah blah...but the fact is if McSorley and his stick didn't come into play (punk-ass Bush League act by Jacques Demers, by the way) the Kings probably sweep Montreal and Roy. And let's not forget Game 3 and the "extra goalie" the Habs had in the crease. With reply review, that never happens. And curved stick or not, once again we probably take the series.

Roy's fans call him 'eccentric'. Um, right. Just a nice way of saying slightly bananas.

I know this hurts, but here it is...Captain Hairdo (Kerry Fraser) measuring Marty's stick:

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg33 View Post
    Groundhog day was Patrick Roy in the playoffs
    Unfortunately, yeah. Big time. After those two series, I was wondering if the Kings would ever hoist the Cup. And I taped a photo of Roy's face to my dartboard.

It took a while...but we finally won...twice.

But what REALLY hurt was the Ducks winning the Cup first. Ouch. It was like being bitch-slapped.