1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    428 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reg or Rog? View Post
    Yeah, I thought we were going all the way. Unfortunately in the next round we ran into a hot goalie (Patrick Roy) and an old friend (Rob Blake). And the Avs went on the win the Cup. If we could have beat Colorado, I think we would have won our first Cup. We sure fought hard. Down three games to one, we won the next two...including that double OT thriller at Staples...but the Avs steamrolled us in game seven.

And I've hated Roy since that series...conceited, arrogant prick. That perpetual smirk always reminded me of Mike Keenan. Maybe they're related.
    You mean you didn't hate him after '93? He was the main reason (beside that illegal stick) the Canadiens beat the Kings in '93. The 2001 and 2002 Avs were so loaded, that even without Roy, they might still have taken the Kings out. Potvin was every bit as good as Roy in those two series, in my view.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1233 Post(s)

Yeah, I thought we were going all the way. Unfortunately in the next round we ran into a hot goalie (Patrick Roy) and an old friend (Rob Blake). And the Avs went on the win the Cup. If we could have beat Colorado, I think we would have won our first Cup. We sure fought hard. Down three games to one, we won the next two...including that double OT thriller at Staples...but the Avs steamrolled us in game seven.

And I've hated Roy since that series...conceited, arrogant prick. That perpetual smirk always reminded me of Mike Keenan. Maybe they're related.
    Remember how he'd come out on the ice before games, skate over to the goal posts and talk to them? Strange guy, for sure.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1233 Post(s)

As I've said before. Years later, during an interview, Luc stated that at the time this stick measuring was going on, you could hear sticks being broken over on the Habs bench.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John a90 View Post
    As I've said before. Years later, during an interview, Luc stated that at the time this stick measuring was going on, you could hear sticks being broken over on the Habs bench.
    Melrose and Luc said that the entire Montreal stick rack was pulled into the locker room. Demers knew if he didn't tie the game, the series was over. Losing two at home to start the series...I think the Kings would have swept them out at the Forum.

Marty talked about it for the first time in 2012. Here's the interview. Definitely worth a read:

https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/mcsor...ident/c-632932

Habs fans called Demers act 'gamesmanship'. I call it chickensheet. What a way to win a Stanley Cup. Resort to that BS because you're getting your ass whooped. Pathetic. No wonder the modern Canadian motto is "I surrender" and their official mascot is Wimpy from Popeye.

My most disturbing memory of that series was leaving Game 3 at The Forum and walking across to the hotel parking lot after the game. Some guy...probably 16 or 17...was crying on the way out. One of his buddies kept saying "Stop crying! Stop crying Shut the **** up! Shut **** up!" His buddy eventually punched him in the face. It didn't work. He just started crying harder.

As if the vibes weren't bad enough after that game, I had to witness that ugly scene.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 05/29/93 View Post
    You mean you didn't hate him after '93? He was the main reason (beside that illegal stick) the Canadiens beat the Kings in '93. The 2001 and 2002 Avs were so loaded, that even without Roy, they might still have taken the Kings out. Potvin was every bit as good as Roy in those two series, in my view.
    I wasn't a big fan, that's for sure. But after the 2001 series with the Avs, his face went up on the dartboard. I aimed for the eyes.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1233 Post(s)

Melrose and Luc said that the entire Montreal stick rack was pulled into the locker room. Demers knew if he didn't tie the game, the series was over. Losing two at home to start the series...I think the Kings would have swept them out at the Forum.

Marty talked about it for the first time in 2012. Here's the interview. Definitely worth a read:

Habs fans called Demers act 'gamesmanship'. I call it chickensheet. What a way to win a Stanley Cup. Resort to that BS because you're getting your ass whooped. Pathetic. No wonder the modern Canadian motto is "I surrender" and their official mascot is Wimpy from Popeye.

My most disturbing memory of that series was leaving Game 3 at The Forum and walking across to the hotel parking lot after the game. Some guy...probably 16 or 17...was crying on the way out. One of his buddies kept saying "Stop crying! Stop crying Shut the **** up! Shut **** up!" His buddy eventually punched him in the face. It didn't work. He just started crying harder.

As if the vibes weren't bad enough after that game, I had to witness that ugly scene.
    Thanks so much for posting that conversation Marty had. He was and will always by my Favorite Player.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John a90 View Post
    Thanks so much for posting that conversation Marty had. He was and will always by my Favorite Player.
    Yeah Marty was awesome...everybody loved the guy,
    especially Wayne Gretzky. Have you read Gretzky's book? I highly recommended it.

The Great One is my all-time favorite King, of course, followed by Bernie Nichols, then McSorley. Somewhere after that is a The Triple Crown line, then Goring and Vachon. I got to meet Marcel Dionne on The Concourse at The Forum before Game 3 in 1993. He autographed my ticket stub, which I have sealed in plastic.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)

I never blamed Marty for losing that series. I know he shouldn't have had an illegal stick & it also was chicken**it for Demers to call for that measurement. But regardless of all that, the Kings should've killed that penalty. And if not that, they should've won the game in overtime. And then won the next OT game, and the next. There were many opportunities to win the series but the Kings never took them. So to blame the loss of the series for something that happened in game 2, I think is unfair.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1233 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tran View Post
    I never blamed Marty for losing that series. I know he shouldn't have had an illegal stick & it also was chicken**it for Demers to call for that measurement. But regardless of all that, the Kings should've killed that penalty. And if not that, they should've won the game in overtime. And then won the next OT game, and the next. There were many opportunities to win the series but the Kings never took them. So to blame the loss of the series for something that happened in game 2, I think is unfair.
    Look, ever since Bobby Hull and Stan Makita came up with how to curve their sticks, guys have been doing it ever since. Marty wasn't the only guy on the ice that nite that was using one.
    Last edited by John a90; January 22nd, 2021 at 01:47 PM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    428 Post(s)

Was at that game also, but didn’t witness that or even know about it (my father and I left the Forum through the north exit). I don’t blame that kid for crying though, and am surprised other fans were not more sympathetic. It was a heartbreaking loss!