That didn’t take long...

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)

And Minnesota be like, thank the hockey gods our first 2 were against the Kings or we would be in last place!

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

The main problem in this rebuild will be tinkering with it so that Kopitar and Dougthy can get replaced. Within that problem, there are several other problems. Kopitar is the lesser one since Kings have great center depth in Vilardi-Byfield-Turcotte (even if not one manages to match or exceed peak Kopitar impact, the depth itself is good enough to offset that). Kopitar's contract also ends in 2024. Doughty is the bigger problem, since the Kings have no real #1 D prospects (as much as I love Bjornfot, Anderson, Faber, they are not #1 s and Grans is toolsy but a longshot) and his contact ends in 2027. I wish Dougthy would have aged like Niedermayer or Lidstrom, but if that is not possible, that is going to pose a much bigger threat to the rebuild. Brown, Quick and Carter's contracts end soon enough. Could also be a problem if Petersen is not able to prove himself as a #1 G. If you think about it by 2008, Lombardi had a clear #1 C, #1 D, and #1 G in the system. The goalie was not quite clear-cut yet since they had the highly touted Bernier and nobody knew Quick was going to be this good, but the position was covered. The present day Kings are equally flushed with assets but the picture seems less clear, nobody is quite sure there is a franchise center and especially a franchise defensemen among those, nor is the goalie situation quite as clear as it is made out to be in my opinion. It's another season of flux likely that will help to determine whether Kopitar and Dougthy can be part of another run or not and how those outlines will come together in terms of their heirs, at least this draft is stocked with high-end D prospects. It feels like too many things are still up in the air to start making clear-cut determinations about the future, more wait and see, but by the end of this season some of these questions should be answered.
    Last edited by nki; January 20th, 2021 at 07:11 AM.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    667 Post(s)

Kopitar has 4 points in 3 games. Last year 62 points in 70 games, 19 points ahead of 2nd place.
    Quit trying to push him out.

Doughty.....is a hot mess.

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4432 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper9 View Post
    Kopitar has 4 points in 3 games. Last year 62 points in 70 games, 19 points ahead of 2nd place.
    Quit trying to push him out.

Doughty.....is a hot mess.
    Kings will really be on the road back to playoff relevance when Kopitar is centering the third line and playing the Handzus role.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

I'm not trying to push anyone out. I'm just saying the Kings are set up well enough for the decline of Kopitar and his contract ends soon enough that it won't be a disaster even if he experiences a sudden decline, enough flexibility there in all scenarios. Doughty on the other hand has no real back-up in system and his contract is really long.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1041 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nki View Post
    The main problem in this rebuild will be tinkering with it so that Kopitar and Dougthy can get replaced. Within that problem, there are several other problems. Kopitar is the lesser one since Kings have great center depth in Vilardi-Byfield-Turcotte (even if not one manages to match or exceed peak Kopitar impact, the depth itself is good enough to offset that). Kopitar's contract also ends in 2024. Doughty is the bigger problem, since the Kings have no real #1 D prospects (as much as I love Bjornfot, Anderson, Faber, they are not #1 s and Grans is toolsy but a longshot) and his contact ends in 2027. I wish Dougthy would have aged like Niedermayer or Lidstrom, but if that is not possible, that is going to pose a much bigger threat to the rebuild. Brown, Quick and Carter's contracts end soon enough. Could also be a problem if Petersen is not able to prove himself as a #1 G. If you think about it by 2008, Lombardi had a clear #1 C, #1 D, and #1 G in the system. The goalie was not quite clear-cut yet since they had the highly touted Bernier and nobody knew Quick was going to be this good, but the position was covered. The present day Kings are equally flushed with assets but the picture seems less clear, nobody is quite sure there is a franchise center and especially a franchise defensemen among those, nor is the goalie situation quite as clear as it is made out to be in my opinion. It's another season of flux likely that will help to determine whether Kopitar and Dougthy can be part of another run or not and how those outlines will come together in terms of their heirs, at least this draft is stocked with high-end D prospects. It feels like too many things are still up in the air to start making clear-cut determinations about the future, more wait and see, but by the end of this season some of these questions should be answered.
    Kopi will be the 3rd or 4th line center in a couple years. New kids waiting in the wings, will take over the top center roles sooner than later. Kopi will continue to be an integral part of this team until his contract ends and he possibly retires, that role will just change over the years.

Doughty's role will change as well, whether he stays with the Kings until his career ends...who knows.

I'm hopeful both of these guys will show some improvement as the season goes on.

All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2345 Post(s)

At least the Kings are scoring more than one goal per game.......so they have that going for them.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1855 Post(s)

Yeah, in case anybody missed the fact that Kopitar and Doughty recently signed enormous contracts... neither is leaving any time soon.

With that said, Kopitar is going to do all the things he's known for. I have little doubt he'll wind up leading the team in points, still look pretty good defensively, and be his usual self at the dots. With that said, his wingers are not 1st line wingers. And Kopitar is not a fast skater. So, he is going to struggle against a team like the Avs, and his wingers are not skilled enough to make up for that deficiency. Brown is, ideally, a 3rd line guy. Iafallo is maybe a 2nd line wing at best. You need somebody that can either carry the puck into the zone, or is fast enough to retrieve a dump in. There isn't anybody on the 1st line with the speed or skill to do those things against a top team. And before somebody chimes in, i think both brown and iafallo are decent players still, they just arent suited to the 1st line in this league right now. The Kings are trying to get faster and more skilled. Neither of those two fit the bill.

Doughty, also, needs to get better. I thought he looked a little better last night, but he still has a ways to go before he can back up everything he's been saying during the offseason. Additionally, Maatta isnt doing any favors for that top pairing currently.

I would, given how things look so far, love to see Turcotte either at wing on the top line, or centering the 2nd line. And it would be nice to see Kaliyev on the top line as well. If you get Turcotte on the first line, then perhaps you can have Byfield center that second line. Unfortunately, there are issues with waivers and such, so im not sure how easy it will be to see all of that happen, especially not at once. But it's what i'd personally like to see happen.

With all that said, im still looking to see how this team looks in another 1-2 weeks, because despite all the comments about the team looking comfortable with McClellan's new structure, they still seem to be getting up to speed and making mistakes. And until those issues are ironed out, it's really hard to get a handle on exactly how some of these guys are looking.