Thread: Kings are going to have tough decisions to make

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

Interesting takes. Brown is staying plenty relevant right now, and with next year his last contract year, I don’t see the need for any get-out-of-jail free card. Quick I can agree on though, and sure I’d be happy for him to potentially be the sole number 1 again. And shedding his salary wouldn’t hurt.

Grundstrom and Moore should be effective for years to come, especially Moore. Replaceable, sure. In time. I just see the writing on the wall for Lizotte much more immediately. If Turcotte or Thomas make the team next year, he’s in the press box.

Don’t know what the Mayor was doing putting Andersson in that group either. Considering the Kings gave up a second for him, if it took a second to make Lizotte attractive I’d do it easily. Not sure what it would take, though.

Jerseys need purple
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    430 Post(s)

So who would you protect from the Kraken right now? We can do
    1) seven forwards, three defensemen, and one goalie or 2) eight total skaters and one goalie.
    Players whose contracts include a no-movement clause must be protected.
    All first and second-year players, as well as all unsigned prospects, are exempt from being drafted by the Kraken.

Try both 1) and 2) scenarios and see what you come up with. I'll bet a month from now it'll be a lot different than today just like it would have been different a month ago. No matter who gets picked, one single player is not going to make or break the Kings. You'll hate to see them go for nothing, but it's one dude on a large team.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Right now the players I'd protect are (F) Kopitar, Kempe, Iafallo, Athanasiou, (D) Doughty, Roy, Walker, & (G) Peterson.

The players I wouldn't protect are (F) Amadio, Eyssimont, Imama, Luff, Rymsha, (D) Alt, Brickley, Maatta, MacDermid, Moverare, (G) Grosenick, & Quick.

That leaves (F) Andersson, Brown, Carter, Frk, Grundstrom, Lizotte, Moore, Wagner, (D) Clague, & Strand. The biggest question in my mind is do we protect a 4th defenseman & will it be Clague or Strand? Right now it's Clague but we have to see how the season goes. And I keep wanting to protect 7 forwards but as much as I like all those guys, I think Clague or Strand would be a bigger loss than any of the forwards. The other thing is that I don't think we should make some kind of deal where they don't pick certain players. It's never been worth it & only helps the expansion team. We're going to lose a good player, it's inevitable. But it's only one player.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

Yes, it’s just one guy. Losing Brayden McNabb didn’t break the team, but the D would still be better with him than it is without him. Might never had seen MacDermid play a single game if McNabb were still here.

Grundstrom and Moore look to be a ready-made line you don’t have to worry about. They carried Amadio. They’re fine with Lizzotte. For 5 games with JAD, they were a scoring threat. Lose one and you create a hole where there wasn’t one. I’d rather see Kupari replace Wagner than Moore, and see Turcotte or Thomas replace Lizotte/Amadio than G or M on the wing.

No, Kings long-term success is by no means predicated on McNabb and whomever they lose this year. And yes, expansion drafts just plainly suck. Point being, this one might suck more than I thought it would as Kings are playing better than I thought they would. And when it comes to tough decisions, I’d be happy to see them weigh the options of what it would take to protect established assets and shed one we could easily part with. Probably would be too steep, but never know.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1648 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tran View Post
    Right now the players I'd protect are (F) Kopitar, Kempe, Iafallo,
    Only made it this far. Iafallo will be a 27yo UFA. Not protection material.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Only made it this far. Iafallo will be a 27yo UFA. Not protection material.
    So are you saying we won't resign him? That's the question. If we don't plan on resigning him then we should leave him unprotected. But if that were true we should trade him at the deadline to get something for him. I was assuming we'd try to resign him but I could be wrong.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1648 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tran View Post
    So are you saying we won't resign him? That's the question. If we don't plan on resigning him then we should leave him unprotected. But if that were true we should trade him at the deadline to get something for him. I was assuming we'd try to resign him but I could be wrong.
    He'll be 30 by the time the Kings window opens.
    Hopefully he has value as a 3rd line wing on good team. Maybe brings a 2nd round pick.

Keeper of Dewy's teeth
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1177 Post(s)

I would be shocked if the Kings don't keep Iafallo. With that said, if they aren't going to keep him, then Blake absolutely needs to move him at the deadline.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    He'll be 30 by the time the Kings window opens.
    Hopefully he has value as a 3rd line wing on good team. Maybe brings a 2nd round pick.
    So what if he'll be 30 then, as if we know when the window will open up. It's not like he'll be dead or in a wheelchair. Besides, he's 27 right now. We sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal. Then by that time if the window does open up & they don't think he can be part of a Cup winning team they trade him. But right now if the choice is wither giving him up for nothing or giving up someone not on my list for nothing, I'd keep him.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1648 Post(s)

Iaffalo has likely peaked as a scorer. 95% of wings have their highest scoring seasons before 28. And it's not like he's been buried on a 3rd line somewhere.
    In 2 years, if he's earning more than $2M or in your top 6, your team is not Cup competitive.
    If he's interested in 2years at $2M per, go ahead and sign him.
    Otherwise, trade him now, while he still has value.