All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    But a lot of these schedules, not just for hockey, are made months and months in advance. So, case in point... you cant plan playoff schedules until you know definitively who's in the playoffs. So you're probably more likely to see weird scheduling during playoffs, as concerts and other regular season sports have had their time slots booked well in advance. Additionally, and im making an assumption here, but hockey probably has the longest setup and teardown times of any indoor sports, with additional considerations for condition requirements. The ice needs time to freeze. It needs to be sufficiently cold to maintain reasonable ice temps, etc...
    The ice does not need time to freeze as it’s always there in the regular season.
    The NBA and concert venue floor is laid on top of the ice.

Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)

I'm indifferent to the schedule, because we have hockey to watch. If everyone recalls a year ago we were watching Foxy do play by play on a Twitch EA Sports simulation. Any hockey is better than no hockey.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    570 Post(s)

But a lot of these schedules, not just for hockey, are made months and months in advance. So, case in point... you cant plan playoff schedules until you know definitively who's in the playoffs. So you're probably more likely to see weird scheduling during playoffs, as concerts and other regular season sports have had their time slots booked well in advance. Additionally, and im making an assumption here, but hockey probably has the longest setup and teardown times of any indoor sports, with additional considerations for condition requirements. The ice needs time to freeze. It needs to be sufficiently cold to maintain reasonable ice temps, etc...
    Absolutely.

I remember reading an article during the games at Prudential and how hard the crew had to work to get ready for the Cup Finals, then get it ready for the concerts, then immediately get the arena ready again for hockey. I believe they had a time-lapse of the teardown and rebuild.

I have to look up the other instance when a Radiohead concert messed with the Kings schedule. Sutter once again was less than happy: "Them...again?!" Safe to say Daryl was not a big Radiohead fan*

*My wife and I WERE big fans and followed the band around the West Coast for a few tours between 2000 and 2010. Ticket prices were ridiculous. As hard as it is to believe two Radiohead shows took precedence over the Cup Final, you are correct about the shows being booked long before the Kings/Devils series was determined. So Radiohead won out and there were three days in-between games one and two. I thought Sutter was going to blow a gasket. Fortunately, the Kings won both games 2-1, both in OT.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1891 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    The ice does not need time to freeze as it’s always there in the regular season.
    dont they sometimes deal with some venues getting hot enough to make the ice unplayable though? I wasn't implying they completely melt/drain the ice, so much as there have been times when the inside of the stadium gets warm enough that the ice simply isnt cold enough to play on, at least immediately.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1891 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reg or Rog? View Post
    Absolutely.

I remember reading an article during the games at Prudential and how hard the crew had to work to get ready for the Cup Finals, then get it ready for the concerts, then immediately get the arena ready again for hockey. I believe they had a time-lapse of the teardown and rebuild.

I have to look up the other instance when a Radiohead concert messed with the Kings schedule. Sutter once again was less than happy: "Them...again?!" Safe to say Daryl was not a big Radiohead fan*

*My wife and I WERE big fans and followed the band around the West Coast for a few tours between 2000 and 2010. Ticket prices were ridiculous. As hard as it is to believe two Radiohead shows took precedence over the Cup Final, you are correct about the shows being booked long before the Kings/Devils series was determined. So Radiohead won out and there were three days in-between games one and two. I thought Sutter was going to blow a gasket. Fortunately, the Kings won both games 2-1, both in OT.

haha i sort of remember sutter grumbling about the shows during the playoffs. I wish he was still with the team.

O Captain, My Captain!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    523 Post(s)

Was it 2012 when the Kings, Lakers and Clippers ALL made the playoffs and had games the same weekend as something in the convention center?

The Dolphin is Not Amused
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2572 Post(s)

Since there aren't any fans allowed in the stands in many an arena and it's easy to record games, I would've liked a few scheduled at 2 am for the lols.*

*Not really. I was want to see an L.A Kings game in California live on Orphy Time at least once.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    570 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    The ice does not need time to freeze as itís always there in the regular season.
    Yeah, that was my understanding too. But apparently in Game One of the 2012 Finals at Prudential Center, there was already a significant problem with the ice surface. Daryl Sutter called it "less than below average" and was concerned about the ice conditions after two rock concerts in blistering heat.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/los-a...2-of-cup-final

He was equally unimpressed with the ice after Game Two. But it wasn't as hot and humid as it was for Game One, and the bad ice wasn't such a big factor.

I couldn't find any of the articles I referenced, but I did find these, and they all mention Radiohead:

Wall Street Journal

Radiohead Puts the New Jersey Devils on Ice
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-SEB-70314

LA Kings Insider
    http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/05/31...-recharge-day/

NBC Sports
    https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/dev...-better-game-2

I've already proven I suck at Internet searches on the Waikiki Hockey thread, but I'd love to find the Dustin Penner article where Prudential security thought he was a roadie for the band.

But I did find The Mayor calling Radiohead fans "Hippies"

The Royal Half
    https://theroyalhalf.com/2012/06/trh...jersey-devils/

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    570 Post(s)

dont they sometimes deal with some venues getting hot enough to make the ice unplayable though? I wasn't implying they completely melt/drain the ice, so much as there have been times when the inside of the stadium gets warm enough that the ice simply isnt cold enough to play on, at least immediately.
    It's hard to believe they can keep the ice playable under certain circumstances...heat, humidity, sold-out crowds, basketball games, rock concerts and quick turnovers...it's a tribute to technology and hard work they can make the ice surface suitable for hockey that quickly under those extreme conditions. I don't think the people responsible get enough credit.

Here's a VERY brisk view of the changeover from basketball to hockey at MSG:

All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2368 Post(s)

Sure that can happen occasionally in warmer climates and older stadiums.
    Newer venues are pretty efficient with climate control and chill/heat pump systems for the ice.
    It happens less today than in the past.