1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    593 Post(s)

Default NHL Schedule Makers

I've always had a problem with the NHL schedule makers, and not just this pandemic-shortened season. The one common denominator is the fact they love screwing the Kings over and are consistently inconsistent. So we have three straight days without any Kings games, then three games in four days. The usual.

Curious about the schedule making process, I did some sleuthing and came up with these exclusive photos of NHL schedule makers hard at work this off-season:

But seriously, being forced to watch the Ducks can make anyone crazy. As I type this, the Ducks are losing again...(ha!)...and the Knights just scored two late goals against the Wild to send the game into OT. And the Avs and Sharks are tied 2-2 after two. Things are getting interesting...should be fun down the stretch.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)

You can thank the Minnesota Wild & their covid infected team for this.

Sizzler Across The Street
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    909 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reg or Rog? View Post
    I've always had a problem with the NHL schedule makers, and not just this pandemic-shortened season. The one common denominator is the fact they love screwing the Kings over and are consistently inconsistent. So we have three straight days without any Kings games, then three games in four days. The usual.

Curious about the schedule making process, I did some sleuthing and came up with these exclusive photos of NHL schedule makers hard at work this off-season:

But seriously, being forced to watch the Ducks can make anyone crazy. As I type this, the Ducks are losing again...(ha!)...and the Knights just scored two late goals against the Wild to send the game into OT. And the Avs and Sharks are tied 2-2 after two. Things are getting interesting...should be fun down the stretch.
    YOU FORGOT THESE SCHEDULE MAKERS AFTER THEY GOT DONE WITH THIS SEASON'S SCHEDULE

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1924 Post(s)

every team has issues with scheduling. Even without covid they have to schedule around other teams in the league, not to mention venues sharing space with other sports and concerts and what not.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    724 Post(s)

Establish a better process and propose it to the NHL. That way they can't screw our team...LOL. I'm sure we can all proof it for you before you present it to the idiots who can't do it right.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    593 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    every team has issues with scheduling. Even without covid they have to schedule around other teams in the league, not to mention venues sharing space with other sports and concerts and what not.
    Sorry, I just get a bit hinky when I go without my Kings for a few days.

Yeah, the scheduling has so much to do with other events at the venues...and for some reason, hockey seems to take a back seat. Even if it's a Stanley Cup Final series.

Case in point:

Not once, but twice Kings playoff games had to be pushed back because of British rock band Radiohead, the first time being at Prudential Center for two shows during the Cup Final. Daryl Sutter was furious, but on the lighter side, Dustin Penner was mistaken for one of Radiohead roadies trying to enter the arena and was steered to their dressing rooms. Penner was amazed at all the amenities the rock band had...their own private chef and masseuse, etc. Sutter was less amused because of the condition of the ice surface and being forced to stay an extra day back east. And it was the second time a Radiohead concert interfered with the Kings schedule.

And, of course, basketball always gets in the way. The NHL will always be the red-haired stepchild to the NBA.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    593 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tran View Post
    You can thank the Minnesota Wild & their covid infected team for this.
    The Wild have rapidly ascended to one of my least liked teams, right up there with the Ducks and Sharks. I hope we destroy them at home in April.

I was in the pool!!
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3695 Post(s)

Yeah, the scheduling has so much to do with other events at the venues...and for some reason, hockey seems to take a back seat.
    For some reason??? It's always the same reason - $$$$.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    593 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    For some reason??? It's always the same reason - $$$$.
    LOL! Yep, truer words were never written. And that will never change.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1924 Post(s)

Case in point:

Not once, but twice Kings playoff games had to be pushed back because of British rock band Radiohead, the first time being at Prudential Center for two shows during the Cup Final. Daryl Sutter was furious, but on the lighter side, Dustin Penner was mistaken for one of Radiohead roadies trying to enter the arena and was steered to their dressing rooms. Penner was amazed at all the amenities the rock band had...their own private chef and masseuse, etc. Sutter was less amused because of the condition of the ice surface and being forced to stay an extra day back east. And it was the second time a Radiohead concert interfered with the Kings schedule.

And, of course, basketball always gets in the way. The NHL will always be the red-haired stepchild to the NBA.
    But a lot of these schedules, not just for hockey, are made months and months in advance. So, case in point... you cant plan playoff schedules until you know definitively who's in the playoffs. So you're probably more likely to see weird scheduling during playoffs, as concerts and other regular season sports have had their time slots booked well in advance. Additionally, and im making an assumption here, but hockey probably has the longest setup and teardown times of any indoor sports, with additional considerations for condition requirements. The ice needs time to freeze. It needs to be sufficiently cold to maintain reasonable ice temps, etc...