1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    593 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MBX5 View Post
    Agree with this, although, personally, I'm not advocating for bullying or punishing or retaliating for some past deed. My issue is how to win games and I just watch someone like Alex Tuch run roughshod over the Kings' smaller and slight of build back end and I see it as a problem long term. He is big, but also fast - they are not mutually exclusive (hopefully we'll see this with Byfield and we saw it with Carter when he was in his prime). On the front end, while they hustle and buzz around, the likes of Moore and Lizotte should be the exception and not the rule. It is the same reason, in my view, that Gaudreau typically disappears once playoff time comes and the Leafs keep losing early - when the play gets more physical, they cannot remain effective with the increased physicality, no matter their talent level. I also think that is why the Leafs have brought in the likes of Simmonds (and Muzzin before him). It is an issue of physicality and size. If you go back and look over the past years, the relatively larger teams are still the ones winning it all. The Lightning specifically bulked up for their cup playoff run.

In my opinion, the Kings are just physically too small at the moment, especially on the back-end, and if they don't have the horses to properly run the race, my view is that it isn't really fair to criticize the coach for their lack of physicality or abrasiveness.
    I agree 100%.

This is NOT on Coach Todd. We're small. Not his fault.

On the other hand, Vegas is big, fast and opportunistic. Watching the last few Knights/Kings games, it's like men vs boys. Reality is not always a pretty thing, but it is what it is. And we get pushed around pretty good by a lot of teams. Take Blake Lizotte, for example. Tough kid, plays hard...I really like him. But he's a human pinball out there. And I was bigger than him in Junior High. They say you can't teach speed. You also can't teach big. You're either big or fast or you're not.

On the other hand, you have the 'can't hit what you can't catch factor' in sports. Speed is a necessary component in most sports. But it seems to me big AND fast equals success in pro hockey.

I fully understand the days of the Broad Street Bullies is gone forever. Fighting is almost non-existent compared to even 20 years ago. Times have changed and the game has changed along with it. But I have to admit I miss the days of Tom "Don't Dance" Webster and Marty McSorley and Tiger Williams. Heck, I remember when I thought "Slap Shot" was a documentary.

Those days are long gone. But I still think it's important, to an extent, to have a certain amount of physicality to be successful today. And until checking and fighting is eliminated from the sport completely, I don't see how it will be possible to win it all with just speed and skill players.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3884 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reg or Rog? View Post
    When the Kings won the Cup in 2012, my hockey fan friends in St Louis were furious about the Kings style of play, calling them dirty players and cheap shot artists, etc. I tried to remind them but no one's going to win the Stanley Cup without having a physical aspect to their game. Dustin Brown, for example, hit anything and everything that moved, and was a huge part of our success. There's a price to pay for winning it all.

I could come up with a lot of examples for teams playing today, but for the sake of brevity, I will just stick with one: Ryan Reaves. Why would the Las Vegas Golden Knights employ a player such as Ryan Reaves? Stick handling? Scoring ability? Sparkling personality? The answer is obvious (and before you remind me that Reaves was just placed on LTIR, that's besides the point).

Even though the game of professional ice hockey has evolved, and continues to evolve more towards speed and skill, it still ain't figure skating. It's still a physical sport and no one's going to hoist the Cup if they're getting pushed around on the ice.

As for retaliating against the Knights and Stephenson, et al, it's a matter of pride at this point. I'm not saying the Kings don't have any pride left, but a lot of our players seem to be mailing it in.
    There's a far cry between the 2012 team and this one. The net effect of the knights imposing their will on this Kings team and the Kings of 2012 imposing their will on that blues team is similar. One was simply better than the other. The losing side is going to see everything that isn't going their way because there's a lot of it. In both cases the "Do Something!!!" fan ain't gonna be happy because there's very little in the short term that can get done. So they do what the majority of fans do when there's one winner and thirty losers, they piss and moan.

Do I want this team to be able to impose their will on the other side? Sure, they even have moments where they seem like they can do it. They have got a long way to go though, I mean let's face it, Strand looks like a serviceable option. An ECHL experienced dman seems to have a shot on this roster. It's a similar problem to AI on the top line, he's a nifty player but he's not a forty goal threat.

What I'm talking about is the fan that wants the retribution so he can point to anything but the scoreboard. The fact is even Doughty tried to go have some pride and it led directly to the 6th goal. If that's a team building exercise then great, but if it was supposed to inspire Wagner to up his game cuz Drew's out there upholding the honor it didn't work.

Some teams are definitely wired around the sandpaper, some aren't, Stanley cup winners tend to have a lot of everything.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    593 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    There's a far cry between the 2012 team and this one. The net effect of the knights imposing their will on this Kings team and the Kings of 2012 imposing their will on that blues team is similar. One was simply better than the other. The losing side is going to see everything that isn't going their way because there's a lot of it. In both cases the "Do Something!!!" fan ain't gonna be happy because there's very little in the short term that can get done. So they do what the majority of fans do when there's one winner and thirty losers, they piss and moan.

Do I want this team to be able to impose their will on the other side? Sure, they even have moments where they seem like they can do it. They have got a long way to go though, I mean let's face it, Strand looks like a serviceable option. An ECHL experienced dman seems to have a shot on this roster. It's a similar problem to AI on the top line, he's a nifty player but he's not a forty goal threat.

What I'm talking about is the fan that wants the retribution so he can point to anything but the scoreboard. The fact is even Doughty tried to go have some pride and it led directly to the 6th goal. If that's a team building exercise then great, but if it was supposed to inspire Wagner to up his game cuz Drew's out there upholding the honor it didn't work.

Some teams are definitely wired around the sandpaper, some aren't, Stanley cup winners tend to have a lot of everything.
    For starters I'm not a 'loser' that 'pisses' and 'moans' when the Kings lose. I've been going to Kings games since they played in Long Beach, and I've stuck with them through thick and thin, even when their on-ice product was barely competitive with the lower tier of the league. I am the true definition of a Die Hard fan.

I just don't like getting pushed around and taking it. I prefer to fight back. The Knights knocked out two players with questionable hits, and we did nothing, absolutely nothing about it. I don't ever recall seeing that, and not just the Kings, I mean ANY NHL team.

And LOL to your comment about Doughty...somebody had to do something...and seriously, did you honestly believe the Kings were going to score four unanswered goals against Fleury and the Knights? If so, then you are deluded.

I just hate to see the Kings develop a reputation for being a bunch of spineless pussies. And if we continue to get beat up and do nothing about it, well, as they say, your reputation precedes you.

I will not claim to know the game as well as you, because I've never played it, and maybe it's just my history as a fighter (my grandfather and uncle were boxers, and I boxed in the Navy), but I'd rather go down swinging than on my knees. In fact, I'd rather fight and lose than act like a group of figure skaters and win. But that's just me.

And it sickens me to know we didn't even try to fight the Knights. I mean, what did we have to lose? It was our final game against Vegas this season.

I guess it's just a matter of pride. I've certainly lost my share of fights...and have the false teeth to prove it...but I'd rather fight than turn tail. I can live with losing a fight. But I can't live with backing down.

Send me in Coach
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

I know we are all on the same side here...I'm pretty sure if we got cut we'd all bleed some form of purple, gold, silver, or black. I've been a fan since I saw them play on tv in 1993 in the conference finals. I had never seen or played hockey. It was amazing. I have been a fan all the way up to present day. When I did my grad school at USC I would drive over and buy those cheap 10 dollar Dave Taylor die hard seats for the game that night. The team back then didn't achieve a heck of a lot but it was the way that it was and they were my team. And I was happy to see them live instead of on tv. They have brought me a lot of joy (although I am pretty sure that I lost two years of my life in 2014 with all of those game 7s...haha).

When I posted last night I posted from the standpoint that I think the Kings need more speed and a heavier presence on the ice...I still stand by that. I don't mean they need to hit everything that moves out there and I don't mean they need to be goons on the ice. It comes down to skill and size.

The Kings will find their way...or not. I know they will be better with more NHL experience.

Okay back to grading recordings....

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    593 Post(s)

Okay...time to lighten this thread up a bit...and what better way than:

Mini-Dachshunds playing hockey! (yes, I own mini-Dachshunds...stubborn little turds they are...but I love 'em)

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

Checking = winning

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1541 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hornman View Post
    When I posted last night I posted from the standpoint that I think the Kings need more speed and a heavier presence on the ice...I still stand by that. I don't mean they need to hit everything that moves out there and I don't mean they need to be goons on the ice. It comes down to skill and size.
    Agree with you that we're all on the same team. I think multiple styles can win. Being heavy is good but is not required in order to win. The biggest issue is the roster is filled with replacement level players. We're not going to win with finesse or skill with the roster that we are icing. I've said it before, the Kings need some impact rookies if they actually want to get above fake-.500.

One thought I had (and I almost posted a thread on it) is I think the quality of the roster and defense in particular has been evident from the success of former Kings goalie. In the heyday, guys like Bernier and Scrivens left for new teams and generally underperformed their Kings numbers. Recently, guys like Keumper and Soup have gone elsewhere and put up great numbers as starters. Apparently playing behind Mitchell and Scrivens is better than McDermid and Strand.

Support the Fans
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    533 Post(s)

What is the Reverse Retro Jersey record?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1081 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirJW View Post
    What is the Reverse Retro Jersey record?
    Something like 1-3-1? They've only won one game wearing them.

i like the kings
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal_Stick View Post
    If you take out that win streak, my God what a season.
    People legit thought we were playoff ready lol.

2012 Kings were big and mean.

2021 Kings are literally the opposite. Some too old, most too young - it'll take time.

MacD needs to gtfo.
    Last edited by KOPI! PEVS!; April 18th, 2021 at 05:48 PM.