Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3967 Post(s)

Default Jack Eichel Thread

Please post all opinions, articles, rumors regarding Jack Eichel Here

In case you have been under a rock the media speculation is Jack Eichel wants out, New York is listed as the most likely destination with LA listed second.

Some light reading:

Jack Eichel to the Los Angeles Kings? Here are the pros and cons of a potential trade
    By Lisa Dillman

Why Iím skeptical Rangers will pursue Jack Eichel
    By Larry Brooks

Eichel notes 'disconnect' with Sabres, opens door to speculation

My personal opinion is that Buffalo is dammed if they do and if they don't. Regarding the Kings though I'm generally of the opinion that Eichel needs a lot more than to recover from his injury to prove his price tag. Take a look at his performance vs his draft year. He's not comparable to McDavid, the fact that he was disappointed not to be taken over him is something that's always stuck out to me about him. Go ahead and sort his draft year compatriots by points and you'll notice one thing that doesn't seem like the others (familiar with another cant miss guy that was eventually traded for Carter).
    2015 NHL Entry Draft

Sure kick some tires, but I'd still have Marner as my number 2 in that draft, followed by Aho and Barzal. Damaged goods, high cap hit compared to his peers, and minus forever tendencies....

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    388 Post(s)

Yeah I can't wait to see the package the Kings put together so that they can outfit Eichel with Lemieux and Moore on the wings

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    727 Post(s)

I don't have a subscription to The Athletic so it's hard to comment on Dilman's article. I just think this would be a major error for the Kings to move assets for Eichel. If it isn't the Rangers let Anaheim do it....

jom

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    528 Post(s)

Well if the Kings could get him without giving the house up. Might be a good deal for them.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Please post all opinions, articles, rumors regarding Jack Eichel Here

In case you have been under a rock the media speculation is Jack Eichel wants out, New York is listed as the most likely destination with LA listed second.

Some light reading:

Jack Eichel to the Los Angeles Kings? Here are the pros and cons of a potential trade
    By Lisa Dillman

Why I’m skeptical Rangers will pursue Jack Eichel
    By Larry Brooks

Eichel notes 'disconnect' with Sabres, opens door to speculation

My personal opinion is that Buffalo is dammed if they do and if they don't. Regarding the Kings though I'm generally of the opinion that Eichel needs a lot more than to recover from his injury to prove his price tag. Take a look at his performance vs his draft year. He's not comparable to McDavid, the fact that he was disappointed not to be taken over him is something that's always stuck out to me about him. Go ahead and sort his draft year compatriots by points and you'll notice one thing that doesn't seem like the others (familiar with another cant miss guy that was eventually traded for Carter).
    2015 NHL Entry Draft

Sure kick some tires, but I'd still have Marner as my number 2 in that draft, followed by Aho and Barzal. Damaged goods, high cap hit compared to his peers, and minus forever tendencies....
    I'm not sure it's fair to compare anyone to McDavid. Let alone someone that was taken after him.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

I say you kick the tires, but he’s not a necessity. I’m thinking the madman known as James Dolan is going to throw the farm at Buffalo to get him. It sounds like he’s calling the shots with the Rangers and Drury is going to be his yes man to “accelerate” the rebuild.

Besides if Blake is patient and plays his cards right, there is going to be a lot of good players available over the next few years via Free agency or cap casualty trades. Aleksander Barkov, brayden point, Johnny gaudreau, Darnell Nurse, Morgan Reilly, Seth Jones to name a few.

I would love Barkov over Eichel. He’s basically a Kopitar clone, but no one knows who he is because he plays in Florida. Also Seth Jones could be a real possibility for the Kings. I know all the talk is about a LHD, but if you were to acquire Jones and put him on another defense pair, you would basically have Doughty or Jones on ice for most of the game since they both can play 25 min each. Then in crunch time you can pair them together at the end of the game for a really good shutdown pair. Think of how Pronger and Neidermayer were used on that 2007 cup team, the same way.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1602 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stadlere View Post
    I say you kick the tires, but he’s not a necessity. I’m thinking the madman known as James Dolan is going to throw the farm at Buffalo to get him. It sounds like he’s calling the shots with the Rangers and Drury is going to be his yes man to “accelerate” the rebuild.

Besides if Blake is patient and plays his cards right, there is going to be a lot of good players available over the next few years via Free agency or cap casualty trades. Aleksander Barkov, brayden point, Johnny gaudreau, Darnell Nurse, Morgan Reilly, Seth Jones to name a few.

I would love Barkov over Eichel. He’s basically a Kopitar clone, but no one knows who he is because he plays in Florida. Also Seth Jones could be a real possibility for the Kings. I know all the talk is about a LHD, but if you were to acquire Jones and put him on another defense pair, you would basically have Doughty or Jones on ice for most of the game since they both can play 25 min each. Then in crunch time you can pair them together at the end of the game for a really good shutdown pair. Think of how Pronger and Neidermayer were used on that 2007 cup team, the same way.
    I like most of your thinking. I don't see Jones coming available but a Pronge/Neidermayer type pair would be really good. I also think the guys like Barkov and Nurse and Point will be retained by their teams. When push comes to shove, you keep the Kopitars and find a way to move on from the Gaboriks and Browns.

I'd definitely like to see the Kings take a run at Eichel. The neck injury is the wild card; I'd be reluctant to give up a lot without some assurances that Eichel is healthy. After watching the mixed results with our prospects pool, I think it makes sense to go after a sure thing.

Sizzler Across The Street
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    932 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    I don't have a subscription to The Athletic so it's hard to comment on Dilman's article. I just think this would be a major error for the Kings to move assets for Eichel. If it isn't the Rangers let Anaheim do it....

jom
    I DO:

One could say it was the exit interview that shook the NHL world on Monday.

Buffalo Sabres captain Jack Eichel spoke to the media about a “disconnect” with the organization regarding treatment options for the herniated disc in his neck.

It was bound to create a stir, triggering a fresh round of speculation about a change of venue for the unhappy center and where he might land if Buffalo traded him.

If this all seems strangely familiar…

Four months ago — practically to the day — it was reported that a disgruntled Pierre-Luc Dubois wanted out of Columbus. At the end of January, Dubois moved on to Winnipeg as the Jets traded Patrik Laine and Jack Roslovic to the Blue Jackets.

Weeks before that deal transpired, we explored the pros and cons of trading for Dubois and if it would make sense for the Kings.

Similarly, the Kings now are among the teams best positioned to make an offer for Eichel. So why not take a dive into the pros and cons of bringing the 24-year-old center to Los Angeles and see if it makes sense at this stage of the Kings’ rebuild?

Pro: Very rarely does a young player with his pedigree come on the market. At his best, Eichel has been in the same conversation as Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews. People still believe he has that upside and that Eichel potentially is a superstar in this league.

So, the easy first answer is: you have to explore it.

Con: In weighing something like this, there are going to be multiple factors. And in Eichel’s case, one added wrinkle is that you don’t really know about his health.

If he does have a herniated disc in his neck that requires surgery, that type of injury is worrisome for anyone playing a contact sport. If he hits the trade market, and if the Sabres seriously start listening to offers, interested teams absolutely need clear medical information about how serious the injury is, what needs to be treated and the timeline for recovery.

You have to satisfy yourself as much as you possibly can that you’re not trading for damaged goods. That’s especially true when the Kings, or any team, start deliberating about giving up important assets. Moreover, in the Kings’ case, it would signify a big pivot from their carefully crafted rebuild plan.

Pro: There are 31 No. 1 centers in the NHL, but in the pecking order, Eichel easily could be in the top 10. Eichel could be a difference-maker, an impact player. And you’ve seen it already in the days when he has been healthy.

Con: One of the things that people are going to focus on from Eichel’s comments on Monday is him saying that the most important thing is him.

That sends the wrong message, because the one thing about hockey players — and the chemistry that teams build — is that it has to be one for all and all for one. Or something like that.

Pro: But in this particular case, Eichel was asked a specific question about himself. With his health as the primary focus, and rightfully so, I wouldn’t read too much into Monday’s comments. One of the things to go back to is that when his name first came up in trade rumors, Eichel made it clear that he wanted to win more than anything.

In the same way, why does Edmonton win? Because of McDavid. Why does Toronto win? Because of Matthews. These guys have to be good and they have to be healthy. So, I don’t think that was a bad thing to hear from Eichel.

Con: Now it comes down to the compensation package. It will have to be substantial. There’s no question that the Kings would have to give up a draft choice — or multiple picks — prospects and probably a player (or two) off their current roster.

Pro: They have those assets and the salary-cap space to get it done, and there is one way to help mitigate things: with conditional future draft choices. For example, if Eichel played 60 games next season or 120 games over the next two seasons, it could conceivably cost the Kings a future first-round pick or maybe two future first-round picks.

That’s something the Kings would have to weigh. But the Kings have been awash in picks for a long time, and it’s time to start winning. They’ve won one playoff game since their Stanley Cup championship run in 2014.

Con: The Sabres probably would start the conversation by asking for Quinton Byfield. Then the Kings would have to weigh the pros and cons of moving a player who is just scratching the surface of his potential, compared to someone who is about to enter his prime (if he stays healthy). Will the Kings, who place a premium on homegrown talent, be willing to part with a highly ranked prospect?

Pro: There’s value in making a bold move because some fans are getting a bit weary of the Kings being on the outside of the playoffs looking in, and of the constant focus on prospects and on next season. At some point, they need to have contributing NHLers in the lineup. Eichel still has a fairly limitless upside, so it would probably take Byfield to get talks rolling.

Con: It’s unlikely the Kings could get a deal done with some combination of Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Turcotte and others. And probably in 99 percent of trade talks, if teams are asking for Byfield, Kings general manager Rob Blake is hanging up the phone.

Pros: They have to give it some serious thought. They have to decide if Eichel is worth their No. 1 prospect and a couple of secondary prospects. Given that the Kings are deep in secondary prospects, that should not be a stumbling block. The Kings have more assets than most teams in the NHL, so it’s just a matter of what you give up in the future.

Once the Kings answer all of the above questions, and if they get medical data that suggests Eichel’s issue it is not an insurmountable setback — something that would derail his career — then they’d better be in there pitching if the Sabres are listening.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    I like most of your thinking. I don't see Jones coming available but a Pronge/Neidermayer type pair would be really good. I also think the guys like Barkov and Nurse and Point will be retained by their teams. When push comes to shove, you keep the Kopitars and find a way to move on from the Gaboriks and Browns.

I'd definitely like to see the Kings take a run at Eichel. The neck injury is the wild card; I'd be reluctant to give up a lot without some assurances that Eichel is healthy. After watching the mixed results with our prospects pool, I think it makes sense to go after a sure thing.
    I agree not all will be available, but I really think Jones is possible. There was an article in The Athletic where they interviewed ex players who played there that pretty much said that not too many players want to stay there if at all possible. There was wide various reasons, but it looks like with Torts gone, itís rebuild time. I canít imagine Jones wants to stay for that, but weíll see.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2453 Post(s)

Say no to the Eich! Too much baggage and his neck injury is major. Let the Rangers go all in. The price tag for 15 goals a season is too steep.

If Blake pulls the trigger, he will be gone by the end of next season so for a few that would be a good thing.