Thread: DD article on NHL.com

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    744 Post(s)

That would be why you bring someone from outside the system. I don't think they CAN trade him, but if they could get a significant enough return, I'd listen.
    I'd also make a play for Chychrun and/or Sergachev

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    723 Post(s)

The LA Kings are not....I repeat...NOT going to win another Cup with Kopitar, DD, Brown and Quick leading the way. Ain't gonna happen and the longer the team holds to that, the longer it's going to take to get back to the Cup. I should point out that I don't believe for a minute the Kings are looking to do this but this seems to be what DD wants. Sorry Drew.

However, the Kings can make some moves with their cap space and maybe move a couple of the prospects for a defensemen...the correct use of assets is the key (re: Schenn, Simmons for Richards, JJ for Carter etc) and done at the RIGHT TIME. We'll see if Blake knows how to pull this off.

Whatever the case, Blake shouldn't be worrying what is top d-man is saying....DD isn't supposed to be the expert here. Blake is (or should be).

jom

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    528 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    The LA Kings are not....I repeat...NOT going to win another Cup with Kopitar, DD, Brown and Quick leading the way. Ain't gonna happen and the longer the team holds to that, the longer it's going to take to get back to the Cup. I should point out that I don't believe for a minute the Kings are looking to do this but this seems to be what DD wants. Sorry Drew.

However, the Kings can make some moves with their cap space and maybe move a couple of the prospects for a defensemen...the correct use of assets is the key (re: Schenn, Simmons for Richards, JJ for Carter etc) and done at the RIGHT TIME. We'll see if Blake knows how to pull this off.

Whatever the case, Blake shouldn't be worrying what is top d-man is saying....DD isn't supposed to be the expert here. Blake is (or should be).

jom
    I agree with your assessment. Keeping a core together that could no longer win the Cup is what got them in trouble. That is why Deano was fired, he stuck with a fading horse. Quick, Kopitar, Brown should have been traded after the second cup win for younger top NHL talent. The loyality is not to the players it is to putting the best talent on the ice that has the best chance at winning the Cup. It is DD's mindset that hurt this team. The games has changed. It is all about speed now, movong the puck quickly to the opponents net. The Kings are slow at team speed. Heck they cannot even hit the opposing players cause they can't catch them.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jgs View Post
    I agree with your assessment. Keeping a core together that could no longer win the Cup is what got them in trouble. That is why Deano was fired, he stuck with a fading horse. Quick, Kopitar, Brown should have been traded after the second cup win for younger top NHL talent. The loyality is not to the players it is to putting the best talent on the ice that has the best chance at winning the Cup. It is DD's mindset that hurt this team. The games has changed. It is all about speed now, movong the puck quickly to the opponents net. The Kings are slow at team speed. Heck they cannot even hit the opposing players cause they can't catch them.
    a) DD's mindset can be an issue for sure, but it is the mindset of a winner. I was going to say, I wish he would take that energy and turn it towards fostering the younger talent - but in fairness, he seems to do that. He always talks positively about his D partners etc and behind the scenes, they obv see him as a guy who hates losing.

b) NO way should they have traded DD or Kopitar after the cups. Those were not the mistakes. It was almost everyone else:

Quick - had value, but they held on out of loyalty. That hurt - not because he costs us games, but he has stopped this team from developing his replacements. We still don't know what we have with Petersen really (potential for sure) and beyond him we really have no idea because instead of using the backup position to see what we have (since we suck anyway) we're using it to let an aged veteran with zero trade value play.

Gaborik: How in the world he got that contract, I have no idea. This was the moment when I saw DL as dangerous. To give that enormous contract to Mr. Glass was just astonishing. It was a brilliant trade, huge playoffs and then you either sign a few years for a discount or let him walk. That contract, to me, is the end of the cup era.

Williams: Letting Williams go was not necessarily a mistake, he was getting older obviously, BUT, when you talk about character, preach it day and night and then you sign Marian Gaborik to a huge deal and let Justin Williams walk - then don't talk to me about character.

Richards and Voynov: Reward the abuser, punish the guy with the drug problem.

Lucic, Sekerea etc. etc. etc. I'll stop there.

Kopitar and Doughty: Elite players, who have not dropped off that much. Kopitar is a great leader, he should retire as a King. Doughty, mostly I would say the same about him, just the occasional thing he says annoys me. These two are not hurting our development. Even Brown, it's not like we could've got something for him, when he skated off the face of the earth for a period there. At least he bounced back and is a good character guy.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    386 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jgs View Post
    I agree with Jom's assessment as well, BUT...

Is that up there really true though? I always thought it was because he failed to find adequate replacements for Mitchell, Williams, Voynov, etc. A failure to find replacements for defensemen that make that great first pass. And that he paid a couple people too much money

It's ok. I have a weird take at times. I think about things like what it could have been like to have McNabb still on the top pair all this time

oh and unless they widen the nets, take out hitting or make shots from the blue line count as three pointers, the game DOES NOT change. Ever. Never, ever never never ever because there is always an answer to this years hot new system

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2038 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg33 View Post
    I agree with Jom's assessment as well, BUT...

Is that up there really true though? I always thought it was because he failed to find adequate replacements for Mitchell, Williams, Voynov, etc. A failure to find replacements for defensemen that make that great first pass. And that he paid a couple people too much money

It's ok. I have a weird take at times. I think about things like what it could have been like to have McNabb still on the top pair all this time

oh and unless they widen the nets, take out hitting or make shots from the blue line count as three pointers, the game DOES NOT change. Ever. Never, ever never never ever because there is always an answer to this years hot new system
    i think it was a combination of over extending himself with respect to trading assets, but also some poor decision making and tough luck from the players. Richard's drug issues. Voynov's domestic issues. I think adding those to the mix really changes everything. And it all happened in a pretty quick span.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1591 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drums4dmf View Post
    No way in hell would I trade DD. He's the captain of the blue line, still one of the best in the game, and has been mentoring the rest of the D.

There's is no one in the system that has the potential to be in the same atmosphere as DD.
    Agree. Drew calls the team out for needing to improve (which is true, they suck) and gets called out for it and suggested as trade bait. Doughty can be unfiltered at times but he's 100% correct here. Blake just sat around stupidly (IMO) and didn't utilize his cap space at all. Either fill it with bridge players or weaponize it for top picks for bad contracts. But don't just do nothing and think that great prospect pool guarantees any kind of success.

Go out and get another puck moving defenseman so we don't have to rely on Doughty and late season Walker to generate any offense.
    Go out and get an actual scoring winger so that we can truly see what we have in Vilardi and Byfield when they are passing to somebody who can finish rather than Wagner. The kids are easier to groom when you give them some talented mentors. Vilardi passing to a sniper would be like McNabb, Forbort, and Anderson breaking into the NHL on Doughty's pairing.

And I'm still worried that a breakout player Trevor Moore was 2020 breakout player Blake Lizotte.

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4629 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    And I'm still worried that a breakout player Trevor Moore was 2020 breakout player Blake Lizotte.
    I'd like to see Grundstrom-JAD-Moore as the 4th line again as they were on the early season winning streak. I expect Trevor will remain a good bottom 6 player because he is fast, smart and capable of playing either wing. Good Swiss Army knife guy who brings welcome secondary scoring. He also seems valuable enough to include in a trade package.

All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2398 Post(s)

Signs massive contract as the team goes into the tank.....now complains.....as if he did not see this coming.

He had $$$ in his eyes, and now he has some regret because they are in re-build mode.

Cake and eat it too, eh Drew?!?!?

Part IV. A new begining..
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    512 Post(s)

This season was built on hope spawned from the seven wins at the end of the last season.

Now the management has to face reality and create something better.