Thread: DD article on NHL.com

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    744 Post(s)

if there is a way to move Drew, I would JUMP on it.

He started out the season playing at a Norris level, then dropped. His post game rants about the efforts of others is a bit hard to take when the previous couple of seasons he only seemed to get up for Calgary games.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 05/29/93 View Post
    Maybe it's time to revisit the thought of trading Doughty to Toronto for one of their high scoring wingers (not Matthews, obviously, but one of the others)? After all, while Doughty is on the wrong side of 30, he's still an excellent, if not elite level, and I'm sure Toronto would love to have his services since they're in win-now mode.
    A number of teams would like to have him, but there's that salary hit.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)

No reason to trade the guy - but I'll try to remember these statements next year (or maybe this summer) when someone is saying you need a more vocal leader than Kopitar lol.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2037 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal_Stick View Post
    He also suggested that everything went wrong after Carter was traded - really?
    I actually agree with him on that point. What he said was:
    I kind of feel like it happened after [Jeff Carter] got traded, a pensive Doughty recalled. I dont know if thats when it did happen but it kind of seemed after that happened, everything just kind of went backward.
    And it did. The team wasn't playing great, they were slipping out of the playoffs, and the team traded carter. And i think what happened was, the team realized that it was over at that point. Management traded Carter because they needed to recoup assets and they didn't believe the team was going to right the ship in time to make the playoffs. And then the team just went off the rails, and we saw a bunch of games that looked like guys were pretty disinterested. To me, he isn't so much blaming the trade, as he is noting it as a key turning point. Trading Carter wasn't the reason they missed the playoffs, but it was a turning point in the team's confidence and effort. They knew at that point, the season was over.

And it should be noted that the Kings have always framed this as a short rebuild/retool. Build up some assets and try and take another crack at it with the older core before they're done. And you'd have to assume that's the pitch the players were given too. We're going to bring in some young guys, and then use cap and assets to flesh out the roster. And the Kings have been rumored to be looking for a high end defenseman for a while now, so if im doughty, yeah... im holding management responsible too. The players didn't play as well as they should have, and they need to check that. But if management has a plan, and doesn't get it done, that has to be looked at too. Blake doesn't just get to throw his arms up and shrug. It's his job to find those trades and make those deals if that is in fact part of the plan.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    I actually agree with him on that point. What he said was:

And it did. The team wasn't playing great, they were slipping out of the playoffs, and the team traded carter. And i think what happened was, the team realized that it was over at that point. Management traded Carter because they needed to recoup assets and they didn't believe the team was going to right the ship in time to make the playoffs. And then the team just went off the rails, and we saw a bunch of games that looked like guys were pretty disinterested. To me, he isn't so much blaming the trade, as he is noting it as a key turning point. Trading Carter wasn't the reason they missed the playoffs, but it was a turning point in the team's confidence and effort. They knew at that point, the season was over.

And it should be noted that the Kings have always framed this as a short rebuild/retool. Build up some assets and try and take another crack at it with the older core before they're done. And you'd have to assume that's the pitch the players were given too. We're going to bring in some young guys, and then use cap and assets to flesh out the roster. And the Kings have been rumored to be looking for a high end defenseman for a while now, so if im doughty, yeah... im holding management responsible too. The players didn't play as well as they should have, and they need to check that. But if management has a plan, and doesn't get it done, that has to be looked at too. Blake doesn't just get to throw his arms up and shrug. It's his job to find those trades and make those deals if that is in fact part of the plan.
    That’s fair on the Carter front. I wasn’t reading that way, but I see what you mean. Doughty just frustrates me because at the time, he was critical of the trade, as if it made any difference. I think that comes from the great side of Doughty, he’s a competitor who thinks they’re in it as long as it’s mathematically possible.

In terms of holding management accountable, my thing is I find it annoying that he shoots his mouth off, in that he is being well compensated to be patient. You’re saying maybe management made promises they aren’t keeping - you’re probably right. Doughty is probably my favourite King, this kind of talk just gets me nervous. I’d like to see Blake make some moves to get the proper d etc, but this sort of talk and pressure can lead to rash/bad decisions.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    453 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post
    A number of teams would like to have him, but there's that salary hit.
    Good point about the salary hit, but the Kings could alleviate that by retaining some. They certainly have the cap space to do it. A trade like this (and Toronto is but one example, I'm sure there are others) would be a great way to bring in high-end NHL players now. An analogy would be the Lubo / Stoll & Greene trade, though I don't mean to compare Doughty with Lubo. More recently, Nashville cutting bait with Shea Weber is another example.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1700 Post(s)

He's talking about Eichel for prospects.
    And if I thought the Kings were an Eichel away from a Cup next year, I'd agree with him

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2037 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal_Stick View Post
    That’s fair on the Carter front. I wasn’t reading that way, but I see what you mean. Doughty just frustrates me because at the time, he was critical of the trade, as if it made any difference. I think that comes from the great side of Doughty, he’s a competitor who thinks they’re in it as long as it’s mathematically possible.

In terms of holding management accountable, my thing is I find it annoying that he shoots his mouth off, in that he is being well compensated to be patient. You’re saying maybe management made promises they aren’t keeping - you’re probably right. Doughty is probably my favourite King, this kind of talk just gets me nervous. I’d like to see Blake make some moves to get the proper d etc, but this sort of talk and pressure can lead to rash/bad decisions.
    We've know for some time that he can let his emotions get the best of him, usually to ill effect. And if he had more time to consider his reply, maybe he'd word things differently. Also, i dont know for sure what Blake told the players, but i do know how he's framed this rebuild to the fans, and id have to expect that the pitches were similar. I dont think the team is a player or two away from being competitive in the playoffs, but i do think they are maybe behind the timeline a bit. They said the goal was playoffs, i have to think that wasn't just lip service to build hype. I said it about Vilardi, but i think its team wide, they under performed if the goal was to get into the playoffs. Whether thats accurate or fair... open to discussion. But to Doughty's point, if the goal is playoffs, they cant sit around waiting for guys to improve and they might need to take some of those assets and get somebody who's ahead of the curve. And that doesnt necessarily mean trade vilardi or trade byfield, but the KIngs do have a pretty massive log jam at center, and they do have a lot of assets that may not be part of this new team. SO, they have cap space and they have assets. If they dont use them this summer, i'd probably be a little upset too.

As to teh Carter trade and his frustration, i may have missed some comments, but what i saw from the team was, "this wasnt unexpected, but its a hard pill to swallow". And i took that like this was a close friend and somebody that was a valuable member of the team. It's hard to see him go.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

It's understandable for Doughty to be frustrated. All season, almost as a mantra, we have heard from McLellan that the team simply isn't talented enough. In addition to that, the Kings failed to do anything significant to utilize their cap space in order to bring in talent which seems to point to a disconnect between coach and GM. When the Kings traded away Carter it showed two things 1) they gave up hope of making the playoffs 2) with how Carter played in Pitts it may be less about lack of talent and more about a lack of a decent system. Let's face it, the organization has not been trying to win.

I would respect Doughty more, however, if he became more a team first, rather than Doughty first, leader. Between his quotes about resigning Iafallo and articles referenced above he seems to be confusing himself for GM which can become dangerous. That said, I really think the players have lost faith in both the coach and GM and it's time to replace both (likely Luc as well).

The Working Man
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)

No way in hell would I trade DD. He's the captain of the blue line, still one of the best in the game, and has been mentoring the rest of the D.

There's is no one in the system that has the potential to be in the same atmosphere as DD.