3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    Alternatively, you could lean on the scouting department to find gems outside the top 10. I think teams that can find top 10 talent outside the top 10 are going to be the ones that really prove their worth in this draft.
    Just my guess here but I think Blake is nearly as happy to have picks #40 and #49 as he is to have #8 . I love the idea of maximizing the value of that pick and moving down. I'm sure there's a team out there willing to overpay to get their guy at 8.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    850 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Statue4Deano View Post
    The perception of the quality of any normal draft is typically dictated by the strength of the top tiers of prospects because outside the top 2 or 3 tiers its even more a crapshoot than projecting the NHL careers of the 17 years old slated to go in the first half of the first round. So when you've got so many young prospects seemingly bunched up like this draft and every pundit saying there is no can't miss franchise type prospect available this year the average observer is going to question how strong the draft is overall. That seems reasonable to me. Does that mean it's a weak draft? Not necessarily. But I can't find a single pundit or scout calling this a strong draft. There probably is some Covid factor at play in those public comments but we need to keep in mind that many of the prospects in this draft have a book on them going back 2-3+ years ago.

I think there's a decent chance the best player taken next month does not get selected within the first 5 picks but I have serious questions about how much better the so-called best player will be than his peers also selected in round 1.
    These are all great points and I don't dispute them.

I just hate the term weak draft. Weak relative to other drafts, sure. But I just find it to be lazy terminology which completely overlooks the fact that the draft is only the beginning of these players' NHL careers. Developing plays into success.

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    713 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    These are all great points and I don't dispute them.

I just hate the term weak draft. Weak relative to other drafts, sure. But I just find it to be lazy terminology which completely overlooks the fact that the draft is only the beginning of these players' NHL careers. Developing plays into success.
    Yes. I remember when the 1995 draft was considered "weak". It really didn't turn out that way.

jom

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    850 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    Yes. I remember when the 1995 draft was considered "weak". It really didn't turn out that way.

jom
    I think 2017 was supposed to be "weak." Patrick fell, and some Swiss dude rose from non-ranked to first overall. How good of a crop could it be?

Then Makar, Petterson, Vilardi, Suzuki, Heiskanen, and the rest of the draft happened.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1581 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    I think 2017 was supposed to be "weak." Patrick fell, and some Swiss dude rose from non-ranked to first overall. How good of a crop could it be?

Then Makar, Petterson, Vilardi, Suzuki, Heiskanen, and the rest of the draft happened.
    don't forget Lias Andersson.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)

These are all the Kings picks in the draft -

1 - 8
    2 - 39
    2 - 48
    3 - 71
    3 - 88
    4 - 108
    5 - 135
    6 - 167
    no 7th rounder

Does anyone listen to the All The Kings Men podcast? They've been doing shows about the draft where last week they talked to a Finnish guy about Finnish prospects & the week before they talked to a Swedish guy about Swedish prospects. And it will probably continue from there. Anyway, the guy from Sweden, Sixten Funqvist, said about Wallstedt that he was the best Swedish goalie since Henrik Lundqvist. So I know why you don't pick a goalie in the top 10, because you can find an elite goalie in the 3rd, 4th, or even 7th rounds. But the reason you do pick one is that he might be that good. Maybe the ideal scenario is a team ahead of us gets him & we can draft one of the top 4 defenseman. I'd also trade down a few spots to get Lambos. But another goalie to look at is Sebastian Cossa. He's projected to the late 1st round. But the way drafts go, especially this year's, there's always guys that fall. If we could get him at #39 we should jump all over that.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Is this a lousy draft, or do the media and scouts have less exposure to the kids because of COVID? I'm more inclined to believe the talent is there; possibly less ripe, but certainly less well known. If this is the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see some early whiffs and a lot of late first through second round home runs.
    I think this is correct. Teams couldn't watch in person but they could watch video. I think the teams that do better in the draft are going to be the ones that are most thorough in watching video of these guys & really study them. I could also see if a team drafts well this year, that scouting by video becomes more common. There would still be in person scouting but maybe less of it & more video scouting. Plus it cuts the cost of travel.
    Last edited by Dr. Tran; June 20th, 2021 at 09:08 PM.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    741 Post(s)

Well if Sixten Funqvist says that, it's mighty tall praise. (cuz he's six ten, get it?? hello?) But seriously, I think Wallstedt will be gone by Detroit or San Jose before he'd get to us.

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    713 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper9 View Post
    Well if Sixten Funqvist says that, it's mighty tall praise. (cuz he's six ten, get it?? hello?) But seriously, I think Wallstedt will be gone by Detroit or San Jose before he'd get to us.
    If this guy Wallstedt is available at #8 do the Kings bother with this? To me, given the development abilities of Ranford I'm not sure it's wise to take a goaltender that high when you can develop one within or with a lower draft pick. Then again if he is off the board maybe that makes it more likely position player the Kings actually need will be available.

jom

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    741 Post(s)

I don't think they see goaltending as a need. They are pretty high on Ingham and Parik. Villalta could have a really good season with the talent Ontario will have this year. and there is Markkanen in the system. And Hrenak but I think his age is pushing him out.