Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2075 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper9 View Post
    The type of procedure that Eichel would prefer is artificial disc replacement. This is when they remove the disc between the vertebrae and put it in a device made up of metal, mesh, and a shock-absorbing polyurethane core

This is the link where I got that. Scary stuff to me.
    https://www.diebytheblade.com/2021/5...disc-conundrum
    interesting read. There's a link in the article you posted to a previous article outlining the fusion procedure as well. It sort of confirms my suspicions to some degree as well. Looks like rehab was used and progress was slow. Additionally, and i say this as a layman, the author has essentially parroted what i've heard in my experience. Fusion is the most common and most studied surgical option for these sorts of cases. But the author seems to gloss over some of the longer term issues, namely that fusing to vertebrae tends to lead to additional wear on the surrounding disks, and can often lead to problems with those disks down the road. On the other hand, the disk replacement doesnt have nearly as much data to understand the risks for a person like Eichel whos playing a contact sport. It doesnt mean replacement is the wrong (or right decision), but i can certainly see both sides on this one.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    759 Post(s)

Besides, I am always leery of trades with Buffalo. I remember getting Rick Martin (4 games total) and Don Luce (10 games total) for a 3rd round pick and the 1983 5th overall pick (Tom Barraso) And the Zhitnik, Stauber and Charley Cruddy for Boucher, Grant (1-7-3) Fuhr and the legend of Denis Tsygurov trade.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    388 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DryKing View Post
    If the Ducks got him cheap I would definitely cry a little thinking the Kings could have done the same. If they were to give up Gibson or a series of high draft picks though then it would probably be a wash.
    $10M for 5 more years? No one is getting him for cheap. Even for future considerations, this is not cheap.

Anaheim can have him. Can't wait for their bobble head, the one that won't bobble.

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    727 Post(s)

Besides, I am always leery of trades with Buffalo. I remember getting Rick Martin (4 games total) and Don Luce (10 games total) for a 3rd round pick and the 1983 5th overall pick (Tom Barraso) And the Zhitnik, Stauber and Charley Cruddy for Boucher, Grant (1-7-3) Fuhr and the legend of Denis Tsygurov trade.
    Don't forget "King Kong" Korab for a pick that got Buffalo Phil Housley.

..... Charley Cruddy for Boucher, Grant .....
    You should be ashamed. Using that name is an affront to anything called Cruddy.

jom
    Last edited by jom; June 18th, 2021 at 04:07 PM.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    759 Post(s)

I'm still convinced that Cruddy is the reason Sydor didn't develop properly with us.

I was in the pool!!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3816 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Chops View Post
    That article does not imply anything. LeBrun SPECULATED that LA is one of 7 team he named that "could make sense" as a landing spot for Eichel.

That's a far cry from "implying" that LAK is interested.
    Friedman also mentioned that "a couple of people" think the Kings are "lying" when they say they're not interested. And Blake would not be doing his job if he didn't seriously look into it. Payers of Eichel's caliber simply don't become available at age 24 pretty much ever. He's absolutely an elite, "build your franchise around him" talent. If they could get him for a package which does not include Byfield, the Kings would have to think about it very, very hard. With Eichel/Byfield up the middle, the Kings could have the best 1-2 punch in the NHL for a decade.

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    727 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    Friedman also mentioned that "a couple of people" think the Kings are "lying" when they say they're not interested. And Blake would not be doing his job if he didn't seriously look into it. Payers of Eichel's caliber simply don't become available at age 24 pretty much ever. He's absolutely an elite, "build your franchise around him" talent. If they could get him for a package which does not include Byfield, the Kings would have to think about it very, very hard. With Eichel/Byfield up the middle, the Kings could have the best 1-2 punch in the NHL for a decade.
    That's all true. The Kings got Dionne at 24 (for cheap, IMO) and that worked out well for the most part. The way I see it two things are probably the roadblock here: Buffalo wanting Byfield and the injury issue with Eichel. My guess the Kings took a look and said "we'll pass" and that is where the Mayor's report comes from. But...who knows?

jom

I was in the pool!!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3816 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    That's all true. The Kings got Dionne at 24 (for cheap, IMO) and that worked out well for the most part. The way I see it two things are probably the roadblock here: Buffalo wanting Byfield and the injury issue with Eichel. My guess the Kings took a look and said "we'll pass" and that is where the Mayor's report comes from. But...who knows?

jom
    You have to think that the injury question is a severe drag on Eichel's value no matter who he gets traded to. It has to either be built into the price for him or the trade has to have some conditions, which I have seen mentioned, although I really have no idea how that would work.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    388 Post(s)

There's a rumor that there's a rumor that someone is trying to acquire both Eichel AND Reinhart.

It's one way Buffalo could try to overcome the Byfield objection from the Kings. How do we feel if Byfield+ goes for Eichel AND Reinhart is included?

I'm not really cool with dismantling our Stanley Cup Champions for picks and prospects and 4 years of losing, only to have these assets traded for players that never won anything meaningful before.

That's the Old Kings MO. Like those teams Luc and Rob played on.

This would be the path of least resistance to acquiring 2 Top 6 forwards, one stop shopping. Is this the road Blake will go down, the best bang for his buck (or, effort)?

Or will Blake agonize over who exactly to chase? Who is the "right fit" for the roster? How clean are the medical records? Who has leadership ability?

Excited to definitively, conclusively find out how much of a craftsman Blake is this off-season.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2075 Post(s)

I think we have enough assets that Byfield is simply a non-starter from my perspective. We have the 8OA, Vilardi/Turcotte, and a host of other solid prospects. And personally, I just dont think Eichel, despite as good as he is (and i do believe he is good and would want him here), has the value right now to demand a premier package. There's just too many negative drags on his trade value.