Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Interesting article about Tampa and the Salary Cap.

  1. #1
    Support the Fans
    SirJW's Avatar
    Karma: 100266000
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    13,423
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)

    Default Interesting article about Tampa and the Salary Cap.

    https://nypost.com/2021/06/12/final-...cap-is-a-myth/


    yeah yeah brooks, sucks bla bla bla. He's a good writer and tells it like it is (imo).

  2. #2
    Hobo with a slapshot
    NobleSavage's Avatar
    Karma: 1989000
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    180 Post(s)

    Default

    Like I needed more reasons to root against Tampa and Vegas?

  3. #3
    I'M THIRTY-SEVEN?
    DanteHicks's Avatar
    Karma: 1891000
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

    Default

    The rules were negotiated and approved in good faith by everyone involved. This isn't even something that was overlooked leading to some sort of exploitation - it was specifically addressed. Nobody is breaking any rules or inventing a loophole.

    Having said that, the current salary cap is a mess (in more ways than this, I'm sure) and should probably be fixed.

  4. #4
    2nd Scoring Line
    xcheck's Avatar
    Karma: 1673884
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    675
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

    Default

    Not sure if players get around this, but I believe Canadian citizens can still have their overseas earnings taxed by the Canadian federal government; maybe even provincially as well.

    For me, the most frustrating part about this is that Vegas was able to make (by my calculation) about $35 million per year in free agent acquisitions after they poached talent from all over the league. No other team has that kind of purchasing power.

  5. #5
    1st Scoring Line
    LAKingSteve's Avatar
    Karma: 6685000
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,608
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1200 Post(s)

    Default

    Tampa played this loophole expertly. That being said, they'll likely need to shop some folks in the offseason...Kings could be buyers if the right player becomes available.

  6. #6
    Nyssa's Minion
    jammer06's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,803
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3967 Post(s)

    Default

    Brooks is aware that athletes are taxed where they perform as well right? Just cuz they play for a team in a non tax state doesn't mean New York doesn't get their cut when the lightning come to town. And this isn't even new, it's been forever. Yeah it's complicated but the reality is that most athletes aren't prioritizing take home dollars over winning and prestige. Let's also face it Vegas was probably the only west coast draw for an east coaster who was dubious about ever playing in the west. Be it travel or weather there is more than one priority for these guys.

  7. #7
    Enjoy the chaos
    King'sPawn's Avatar
    Karma: 4318000
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    10,587
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    852 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanteHicks View Post
    The rules were negotiated and approved in good faith by everyone involved. This isn't even something that was overlooked leading to some sort of exploitation - it was specifically addressed. Nobody is breaking any rules or inventing a loophole.

    Having said that, the current salary cap is a mess (in more ways than this, I'm sure) and should probably be fixed.
    The league penalized the Devils for not going along with the "spirit of the cap" when they signed Kovalchuk to their absurd contract. The Devils "followed the rules."

    If the league wanted to, they could punish Tampa Bay. But they won't. Just like they didn't punish Chicago.

    If you feel the league was right in punishing New Jersey for violating the spirit of the cap/CBA, then this is simply indefensible.

  8. #8
    I'M THIRTY-SEVEN?
    DanteHicks's Avatar
    Karma: 1891000
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    The league penalized the Devils for not going along with the "spirit of the cap" when they signed Kovalchuk to their absurd contract. The Devils "followed the rules."

    If the league wanted to, they could punish Tampa Bay. But they won't. Just like they didn't punish Chicago.

    If you feel the league was right in punishing New Jersey for violating the spirit of the cap/CBA, then this is simply indefensible.
    There's a huge difference between deliberately designing a contract to circumvent the cap, and getting cap relief from a player getting injured and recovering from surgery.

    Should the rules change so that there's still a salary cap in the playoffs? Maybe. But right now there explicitly is not. So, unless you think Tampa somehow faked the injury, surgery, and/or recovery (which the NHL did investigate and it was well within what's considered normal for this type of injury,) they did nothing wrong by either the letter or the spirit of the cap.

  9. #9
    Enjoy the chaos
    King'sPawn's Avatar
    Karma: 4318000
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    10,587
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    852 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanteHicks View Post
    There's a huge difference between deliberately designing a contract to circumvent the cap, and getting cap relief from a player getting injured and recovering from surgery.

    Should the rules change so that there's still a salary cap in the playoffs? Maybe. But right now there explicitly is not. So, unless you think Tampa somehow faked the injury, surgery, and/or recovery (which the NHL did investigate and it was well within what's considered normal for this type of injury,) they did nothing wrong by either the letter or the spirit of the cap.
    He stopped wearing the red no-contact jersey in mid-April. A month before the playoffs.

    He wasn't healthy enough all season then suddenly was game ready for game 1 of the playoffs, not needing any additional recovery time.

    He could have been activated before the postseason, or he could have at least sat out Game 1. Getting that cap relief for a healthy player just long enough until the cap no longer applies is 100% against the spirit of the cap.

  10. #10
    1st Scoring Line
    Dr. Tran's Avatar
    Karma: 2401212
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,714
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    The league penalized the Devils for not going along with the "spirit of the cap" when they signed Kovalchuk to their absurd contract. The Devils "followed the rules."

    If the league wanted to, they could punish Tampa Bay. But they won't. Just like they didn't punish Chicago.

    If you feel the league was right in punishing New Jersey for violating the spirit of the cap/CBA, then this is simply indefensible.
    There's no comparison between the Lightning with Kucherov and the Devils with Kovalchuk. In case people don't remember, the Devils signed Kovalchuk to a 17 year contract with a 6 million cap hit. But the contract went from 6 million in 2011 & 2012 to 11.6 million from 2013-2017 to 10.5 million in 2018, 8.5 million in 2019, 6.5 million in 2020, 3.5 million in 2021, 750K in 2022, & 550K from 2023-2027. There was no way he was going to play to the end of his contract & they knew it. But they had to add those last 6 years to fit him under the cap, otherwise they'd have to pay him 8.9 million a year. It was clear cap circumvention. Kucherov didn't do anything except get hurt & miss the regular season. The Lightning didn't scheme to keep him out of the lineup for the entire season just to come back for the playoffs. If he could have played in the regular season he would have.

    As far as the issue of teams in states with no income tax, yes it sucks they have an advantage. But the teams had nothing to do with how the state tax laws were written. And what would be the solution? Should the league put a tax on salaries from players on non-taxed teams? If so, how much? Or should they give extra money to players in states with high tax rates? The PA executive was right when they said it was too complicated.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •