Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting article about Tampa and the Salary Cap.

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    705 Post(s)

What is the rule that exempts the cap being an issue in the playoffs? I would think the league might look into changing that.

jom

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    He stopped wearing the red no-contact jersey in mid-April. A month before the playoffs.

He wasn't healthy enough all season then suddenly was game ready for game 1 of the playoffs, not needing any additional recovery time.

He could have been activated before the postseason, or he could have at least sat out Game 1. Getting that cap relief for a healthy player just long enough until the cap no longer applies is 100% against the spirit of the cap.
    Also factor in the 7.4MM in cap relief they got from the Gaborik and Nilsson contracts with no chance of those players ever coming back. I'm not sure about Nilsson but everyone knew that Gaborik was never playing again before TB took on the contract. Does anyone think that goes against the spirit of the cap in this case?

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3929 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Chops View Post
    Also factor in the 7.4MM in cap relief they got from the Gaborik and Nilsson contracts with no chance of those players ever coming back. I'm not sure about Nilsson but everyone knew that Gaborik was never playing again before TB took on the contract. Does anyone think that goes against the spirit of the cap in this case?
    They did trade for it. Has anyone ever figured out if that contract was insured or not? Could be why teams keep trading it if they need to pay out of pocket.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    What is the rule that exempts the cap being an issue in the playoffs? I would think the league might look into changing that.

jom
    I thought the players weren’t paid for the playoffs, just the regular season. That’s probably why they don’t have to be under the cap. And I they also expand the rosters for the playoffs, I believe. So I don’t know how they would get teams to be cap compliant for the playoffs while also expanding the rosters.