1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1612 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    People who think Levi is like Vilalta or Parik should do some research. He was fantastic at IIHF and was named top goalie there. His value has skyrocketed and was a great pickup by the Sabres.
    Rob is that you? Levi only played in the WJC and was amazing as Canada's goalie (tough job, lol). His problem is the same as my favorite CA goalie prospect, Dustin Wolf. Both are 6 feet tall and small goalies are way out of favor in today's NHL. Parik has similar value to at least of the GM's due to his size and athleticism.

Blake could have added another prospect or not had the top 10 lottery protection.

And it isn't THIS deal alone (although this one hurts). Instead it is all of the non deals. Blake hasn't been able to swing a deal for a top player who is at his peak or improving.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    Rob is that you? Levi only played in the WJC and was amazing as Canada's goalie (tough job, lol). His problem is the same as my favorite CA goalie prospect, Dustin Wolf. Both are 6 feet tall and small goalies are way out of favor in today's NHL. Parik has similar value to at least of the GM's due to his size and athleticism.

Blake could have added another prospect or not had the top 10 lottery protection.

And it isn't THIS deal alone (although this one hurts). Instead it is all of the non deals. Blake hasn't been able to swing a deal for a top player who is at his peak or improving.
    You have to think the Kings 2022 1st round pick is worth quite a bit more than Florida's as a trading chip so not sure how much more Blake would have had to throw in to beat Florida's offer but we have seen him be reluctant to take the chance of going to arbitration with a player which likely lowered his interest in Reinhart. That said, let's see what Sam signs for in FLA before rendering a final opinion as currently my lean is that Blake made the right decision on this one.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    If #4 isnít incompetent, then explain Kovalchulk to me.
    Do you think Rob had the authority to start a rebuild in spite of upper management's decision?

Or do you think upper management gave Rob, a rookie GM, free hands to do anything he wants?

Also, who says Kovalchuk signings was Rob's idea to make this team competitive? Maybe it was a move forced by other executives...maybe it was Rob's "I know we're not going to compete, but let's do something that looks like I'm trying to compete". IMO he knew full well we needed a rebuild/retool, and his efficiency at doing so makes me believe he knows the importance of restocking the organizational depth and talent level...

Heck, he had no assets to trade for anyone. Kovalchuk was probably the only "big name" UFA willing to sign for such a contract.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2484 Post(s)

Why make a big splash for this coming season when the odds of making the playoffs even with an impact player are very low. As many know I have said 2023-2024 or even a year later that the Kings will start to emerge. Just add a piece at a time until you know you are ready.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2484 Post(s)

Eichel is an 18 goal scorer with the Kings. Tarasenko would tally 14.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ice24 View Post
    I'd risk adding Tank for the right price to see what Turcotte/Byfield could do with a guy like that.

But yeah, the asking price is way beyond cost prohibitive.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    858 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ice24 View Post
    heh. Ice you and I are usually on the same page but for (joke) clarity: Is this because lack of leadership, the system, line mates or when they get to Los Angeles they realize no one cares and they skate lazy figure 8's on the ice until the season's over?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1232 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    heh. Ice you and I are usually on the same page but for (joke) clarity: Is this because lack of leadership, the system, line mates or when they get to Los Angeles they realize no one cares and they skate lazy figure 8's on the ice until the season's over?
    System and not enough talent around them...though it's possible that adding Byfield, Arvidsson, Kaliyev and a Eichel/Tarasenko type player would start to change those dynamics.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2484 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    I believe the Kings would be wasting some quality years of these players careers by signing them now. The Kings need at least a couple of seasons to get the young players up to an NHL level of play. If it was 2023, then you might want to take a shot. I just hope these young kids are working their asses off during this off-season.