Team LGK
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1844 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    The problem is that there is no proof spending young assets for Eichel and Tarasenko "puts a winning product" on the ice. It's more like a "whining product" if you ask me.

jom
    You just made my point. Trading for those 2 guys is about making a splash and selling tickets and not winning.

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    People who think Levi is like Vilalta or Parik should do some research. He was fantastic at IIHF and was named top goalie there. His value has skyrocketed and was a great pickup by the Sabres.
    Where did I say anything about Villalta or Parik?

You can’t tell me that we didn’t have a package of a lottery protected 1st round pick and a prospect not named Byfield that could have bettered the Florida offer.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    My ticket rep said wait until the 28th a few weeks ago.
    Who can the Kings realistically target in free agency?

Ovi? No way he signs in LA.
    Saad? Big whoop.
    Landeskog? Ain't gonna happen.
    Foligno? LOL.
    Palmieri? Big whoop.
    Hyman? Would be a solid pickup, but not a name that would get anyone really excited or put butts in seats.
    Hoffman? Same as Hyman

That pretty much leaves fan favorite Martinez. Yup, that's the ticket!

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    727 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    You just made my point. Trading for those 2 guys is about making a splash and selling tickets and not winning.

Where did I say anything about Villalta or Parik?

You can’t tell me that we didn’t have a package of a lottery protected 1st round pick and a prospect not named Byfield that could have bettered the Florida offer.
    My apologies but I missed your point entirely. I seem to be doing that a lot today.

Yes, I agree with the this that the Kings could have offered a 1st rounder and one of their prospects. It seems obvious to me. So....what do you expect was the issue then why it didn't happen? There could be several:

1) Kings weren't interested in Reinhardt to begin with.
    2) Buffalo wanted the goalie real bad...the Kings don't have that in all of their prospects.
    3) Blake and co. didn't want the contract.
    4) Blake is incompetent.

I'd imagine that #2 is the issue here. Just saying #4 (for example) is fun for a message board but just no true from what I can tell. My guess is that #3 isn't correct either. Curious though....

jom

Bartender on Dry Island
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1760 Post(s)

I'd add Schwartz, Coleman, Granlund, Tatar, and Bunting to your list.

I hope the Kings feel this way too (and based on the Arvidsson pickup I think they do), it's not about putting butts in seats. It's about making the team better. Winning will (and has) put butts in seats.

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    727 Post(s)

I hope the Kings feel this way too (and based on the Arvidsson pickup I think they do), it's not about putting butts in seats. It's about making the team better. Winning will (and has) put butts in seats.
    Yes, especially in LA. Many sports owners in the past thought otherwise but here it's all about the win not signing some big FA or big trade.

jom

Bartender on Dry Island
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1760 Post(s)

Yes, especially in LA. Many sports owners in the past thought otherwise but here it's all about the win not signing some big FA or big trade.

jom
    Yup. Even with the Lakers signing LeBron. They did it to win, not fill seats. It did both but the main thing was winning.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

I agree. But if the rep is saying, "just wait until the 28th..." it kinda implies a bigger splash. And none of those names are splash names.

That said i wouldn't mind any of them in the lineup.

Bartender on Dry Island
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1760 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Chops View Post
    I agree. But if the rep is saying, "just wait until the 28th..." it kinda implies a bigger splash. And none of those names are splash names.

That said i wouldn't mind any of them in the lineup.
    Do you trust your rep? My rep changes and every one says the same kinds of things.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Do you trust your rep? My rep changes and every one says the same kinds of things.
    Not my rep - see the post i quoted earlier.

And to answer you question, of course not. Their job is to sell tickets.

Back to the topic of the original post, now that Reinhart is gone, I kinda hope we get, but don't overpay for Tank.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1844 Post(s)

My apologies but I missed your point entirely. I seem to be doing that a lot today.

Yes, I agree with the this that the Kings could have offered a 1st rounder and one of their prospects. It seems obvious to me. So....what do you expect was the issue then why it didn't happen? There could be several:

1) Kings weren't interested in Reinhardt to begin with.
    2) Buffalo wanted the goalie real bad...the Kings don't have that in all of their prospects.
    3) Blake and co. didn't want the contract.
    4) Blake is incompetent.

I'd imagine that #2 is the issue here. Just saying #4 (for example) is fun for a message board but just no true from what I can tell. My guess is that #3 isn't correct either. Curious though....

jom
    If #4 isn’t incompetent, then explain Kovalchulk to me.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom