Team LGK
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1844 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
    Yeah, I'm hoping to acquire Vladimir Tarasenko, Gabriel Landeskog and/or even Ryan Suter.
    We were all giddy when Deano went out and got 5 UFAs on day 2 of free agency. One was a quality guy that we had for 4 years, 3 turned into additional assets, 1 of which is arguably the best Jr. Kings Coach they have, and 1 was out lost of the year.

I’m the end, it creates hope that we had a chance, but we continued miss the playoffs for several more years.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

Anything Goes Martial Art
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    We were all giddy when Deano went out and got 5 UFAs on day 2 of free agency. One was a quality guy that we had for 4 years, 3 turned into additional assets, 1 of which is arguably the best Jr. Kings Coach they have, and 1 was out lost of the year.

I’m the end, it creates hope that we had a chance, but we continued miss the playoffs for several more years.
    Dean Lombardi certainly wasn't perfect, especially at the start and towards the end of his tenure here, but he seemed to have learned from his early mistakes and made the adjustments accordingly and fairly quickly. His mistakes at the end were arguably made due to the pressures of repeating as champions during our prime window of competition and fairly blind loyalty to the players who got him there.

As such, there's a decent point to be made for giving Blake a chance to make such adjustments as he starts out with his conservative approach, but frankly, I don't have faith in the man--again, maybe due to my personal bias--because he's had the experience of working under and being groomed by Deano himself and he has yet to exhibit much in the way of some of that expected boldness and innovative thinking I was waiting to see aside from a couple of aggressive trade-ups for this year's draft prospects.

In a few years, we shall see if he proves me wrong or not. What would really suck is if he strikes out here and then goes on to apply himself better elsewhere using the organization as training wheels before being confident enough to take bold action for another organization and fan base.
    Last edited by Ranma; July 24th, 2021 at 08:10 PM.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1844 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
    Dean Lombardi certainly wasn't perfect, especially at the start and towards the end of his tenure here, but he seemed to have learned from his early mistakes and made the adjustments accordingly and fairly quickly. His mistakes at the end were arguably made due to the pressures of repeating as champions during our prime window of competition and fairly blind loyalty to the players who got him there.

As such, there's a decent point to be made for giving Blake a chance to make such adjustments as he starts out with his conservative approach, but frankly, I don't have faith in the man--again, maybe due to my personal bias--because he's had the experience of working under and being groomed by Deano himself and he has yet to exhibit much in the way of some of that expected boldness and innovative thinking I was waiting to see aside from a couple of aggressive trade-ups for this year's draft prospects.

In a few years, we shall see if he proves me wrong or not. What would really suck is if he strikes out here and then goes on to apply himself better elsewhere using the organization as training wheels before being confident enough to take bold action for another organization and fan base.
    You realize he’s been at this for 4 years now?
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    658 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    You realize hes been at this for 4 years now?
    Well, 2 of those years he wasn't allowed to do a rebuild/retool.

It's year 2 of rebuild/retool now.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Pronman gives the Kings draft a B+

https://theathletic.com/2717826/2021...uting-reports/

2021 Draft Grade: B+

The Kings only ended up with four picks in this draft because of various moves, but I think they made them count. Brandt Clarke is a great prospect. Kirill Kirsanov and Francesco Pinelli both have a lot of ability. And I could see Samuel Helenius plugging into the tail-end part of a lineup. Kirsanov slid due to conditioning and signability concerns, but I had him highly rated. I could see L.A. getting two or three quality NHL players from this group
    2 regular players out of a draft is a Home Run. 3 regular players is a grand slam.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)

If you look around, it's hard to find a news article saying anything other than that the Kings killed it at the draft. In fact, almost every article states they have one of, if not THE best prospect pool in the league. So, the continued hate of Blake is surprising to me. There's been a lot of - yeah, this is what you do when you rebuild, you hang on to picks etc, as if anyone could do what this group has done. Well, living in Ottawa, you should have heard the outcry here about their draft this year and last (echoed all over some of these draft breakdowns.) So far, Blake appears to be building one of the best cores this team has ever seen and don't tell me Dean-o did the same, because don't forget he already had Kopi, Brown AND Quick (the young versions)

I am a total DL guy and would welcome him back any time. Let me also be clear - he is the best GM we ever had and until someone else gets us a cup (two actually) that is just fact.

I despised Blake for many years and even booed him when COL and SJ played here in Ottawa - even though no one knew why I was doing it. I think where I differ from a lot of you, is the cups made me forget all that crap. It made me stop thinking about what would have been different if Marty had not had the illegal stick, or if we had got something decent for Gretzky, it made me not care what Rob Blake did - it made me happy we won and made me want to win more. Rob Blake is the only one who can do that for us now.

I have said a few times - I don't know if Blake can take the next step and I wonder if that takes another GM. It might, but in the meantime, he's certainly earned some rope here. And if the opinions on here are ever held by the org and he's fired , no doubt he will be snatched up fast and if you thought it was tough watching him score on us in game seven, wait until SJ or COL are knocking us out again with Blake smiling in the GM box.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal_Stick View Post
    If you look around, it's hard to find a news article saying anything other than that the Kings killed it at the draft. In fact, almost every article states they have one of, if not THE best prospect pool in the league. So, the continued hate of Blake is surprising to me. There's been a lot of - yeah, this is what you do when you rebuild, you hang on to picks etc, as if anyone could do what this group has done. Well, living in Ottawa, you should have heard the outcry here about their draft this year and last (echoed all over some of these draft breakdowns.) So far, Blake appears to be building one of the best cores this team has ever seen and don't tell me Dean-o did the same, because don't forget he already had Kopi, Brown AND Quick (the young versions)

I am a total DL guy and would welcome him back any time. Let me also be clear - he is the best GM we ever had and until someone else gets us a cup (two actually) that is just fact.

I despised Blake for many years and even booed him when COL and SJ played here in Ottawa - even though no one knew why I was doing it. I think where I differ from a lot of you, is the cups made me forget all that crap. It made me stop thinking about what would have been different if Marty had not had the illegal stick, or if we had got something decent for Gretzky, it made me not care what Rob Blake did - it made me happy we won and made me want to win more. Rob Blake is the only one who can do that for us now.

I have said a few times - I don't know if Blake can take the next step and I wonder if that takes another GM. It might, but in the meantime, he's certainly earned some rope here. And if the opinions on here are ever held by the org and he's fired , no doubt he will be snatched up fast and if you thought it was tough watching him score on us in game seven, wait until SJ or COL are knocking us out again with Blake smiling in the GM box.
    Totally agree, Blake's strong area has definitely been drafting - so far he is the best GM I have seen on the Kings come draft day and his results will soon prove it. That said, he needs to work on the following: contract negotiations (I still want to see evidence that the players are buying into his system and want to stay in LA by having at least one player sign a home team discount), head coach selection/recruitment (McLellan is not the guy who will take us to the next level and has consistently taken zero responsibility or ownership, instead blaming the players when we lose - much like he did in SJ. This leads to an unproductive culture), FA signings (to be honest this one is still TBD), value trades. On the plus side, Blake has stayed patient and hasn't traded away prospects for short term "win now" deals - he seems to be building the organization for long term success the right way and methodically sticking to his plan. Overall I'd currently give him a B+ and agree he'd be snatched up elsewhere if available.

Bartender on Dry Island
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1760 Post(s)

I agree he's done a great job building up the prospects pipeline. But it's not like his strategy is hard to do. Mostly, he's just taking the BPA (according to composite lists) who falls to him. I give him credit for sticking to his guns and doing that and in some cases trading up when he sees that guy and doesn't want to risk him getting taken. I also give him credit for sticking to BPA and not reaching due to "need" or a guy he could get with a later pick (like Ottawa).

The other thing is that right now this awesome prospect pool is just a bunch of shiny toys. Not one has proven to be an important piece to a Cup run. Maybe JAD, Anderson, or Bjornfot are that but they haven't proven it yet. Until they do, Blake's awesome draft record is only that: great drafting of players who MIGHT be the core of a Cup run.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2075 Post(s)

Im not hating, so much as wondering where the moves are that they've been discussing. They've basically told the fan base the rebuild is over, that the team still has a couple holes to fill via trade/FA, and that they expect to round the corner here. Im happy with his drafting record so far. I liked his gets this draft. I like the Arvidson trade. But realistically, there's nothing there that really moves the needle much from last season. And they haven't actually done much about filling the holes.

So to some extent, there's an element of impatience on my part, but it's also just looking at what's happened and saying, "ok... where are the big moves you said you were going to go out and make?" We've heard them say it. We've seen it all over the news. The Kings are going to go out and be active via trades and all that. Now, i know there's still time for some trades, and FA is incoming, but if we go into next season standing pat, i think a lot of people (including the players) are going to be scratching their heads here.

So, i guess we'll see what happens. Personally, i'm holding out hope for Forsberg (or Tyler Johnson and Cal Foote).
    Last edited by Helvetica; July 26th, 2021 at 09:46 AM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DryKing View Post
    Totally agree, Blake's strong area has definitely been drafting - so far he is the best GM I have seen on the Kings come draft day and his results will soon prove it. That said, he needs to work on the following: contract negotiations (I still want to see evidence that the players are buying into his system and want to stay in LA by having at least one player sign a home team discount), head coach selection/recruitment (McLellan is not the guy who will take us to the next level and has consistently taken zero responsibility or ownership, instead blaming the players when we lose - much like he did in SJ. This leads to an unproductive culture), FA signings (to be honest this one is still TBD), value trades. On the plus side, Blake has stayed patient and hasn't traded away prospects for short term "win now" deals - he seems to be building the organization for long term success the right way and methodically sticking to his plan. Overall I'd currently give him a B+ and agree he'd be snatched up elsewhere if available.
    Not sold on Maclellan either and wonder about that. There's a lot to his job, he's killing one major area of it for sure. Like you said, a lot of the rest remains to be seen.