Sizzler Across The Street
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    932 Post(s)

Default Opinions Of 2021 Kings Draft:

Seriously, other NHL teams, pay attention to what the Kings are doing. They are building a prospect system like we've never seen.

https://twitter.com/ByronMBader/stat...063972353?s=20

Half of their strategy appears to be to cash in on the mistakes other teams make and just take the high probability stars/nhlers that fall right to them. And it works!

What’s crazy to me is they aren’t even doing it by trading and blowing up their current roster. They’ve just been making use of every single pick they have

Patience. Patience Patience Patience. As Kings fans we waited our entire lives to see them win a Cup. Then they won two. I love that they aren’t rushing to try to make that happen again. Built a winning team they the draft before and they’ll do it again…however long it takes.

They still have Quickie, Doughty, Kopitar, and D Brown producing while having building this insane prospect pool. It’s getting a little unbelievable

Bartender on Dry Island
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1760 Post(s)

You're 100% right. And if you look at their history it was the same with Brown and Kopi. Sure, there were times when the "draft the player that dropped to us" doesn't work out (Tukonen, Tambellini), but at least in the 1st round it worked better than reaching (Hickey) or trading up (Tuebert, Forbort).

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    474 Post(s)

And the complaints of not making trades for immediate help ring hollow to me. Unless they get a healthy Tarasenko or Eichel dirt cheap I’m all for staying the course. I really don’t think this squad is ready for the playoffs yet.

Bartender on Dry Island
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1760 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roenick View Post
    And the complaints of not making trades for immediate help ring hollow to me. Unless they get a healthy Tarasenko or Eichel dirt cheap I’m all for staying the course. I really don’t think this squad is ready for the playoffs yet.
    I'm not sure about not being ready for the playoffs yet (given the weak division...who do you pick to make the playoffs next season?), but otherwise you're a million billion kajillion percent right. Only make deals where you get a player cheap because the other team is over a barrel.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    920 Post(s)

It seems to be such a crap shoot unless you're getting number 1 or 2 overall and even then you might get a Bobby Ryan when you needed a Crosby.

I'm happy Blake is at least not giving away the farm in desperation for possibly injured high-risk high-reward players, which would in effect be one step forward and two steps back for the franchise. Hopefully we have the proper development team to actually capitalize on on Blue Chips in the near future--time will tell.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

I'm on board here too. For all the hate Blake is getting for not beating Florida's package for Reinhart, I'm sure there is a reason. I mean Blake has demonstrated (to me at least) that he isn't a cantaloupe; so I'm sure he at least had a conversation with R's agent. I think if there: A) there was a good fit, and B) a deal to be made, it would have happened.

This draft was excellent in my opinion, particularly in the second round.

Hopefully he's able to pick up a bridge player or two who can help take us to the post season and then hopefully beyond the first round. If we can do that in one or both of the next two years, Blake will have done his job very well.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    557 Post(s)

At one point, we had 9 picks in this draft. We ended up trading all of our picks except the 8OA. Moved two in the Arvidsson and Lemieux trades. Then traded the 6 others to move up to draft three players.

They obviously had a game plan and executed on it. Yannetti was saying this was their best executed draft ever. Of course, whether that is correct or not really depends on how these players turn out. But going quality over quantity is understandable given how many prospects we already have.

Hard not to love Brandt Clarke when you see his reaction to being drafted and his interview.

Sizzler Across The Street
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    932 Post(s)

I think the organization stock piled the draft picks or this exact reason. Get the quality - in need players - than just add depth for Ontario.

If the Kings are in last place in 2025-26 - I'll probably be carrying a different attitude...

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1202 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogie-Vachon View Post
    I think the organization stock piled the draft picks or this exact reason. Get the quality - in need players - than just add depth for Ontario.

If the Kings are in last place in 2025-26 - I'll probably be carrying a different attitude...
    Patience will be very hard...2014 is way in the review mirror. If the Kings are in last place this season, after preaching patience, the plan and the quality of players in the pipeline, it's going to be ugly. If the Kings are in last place in 2025-26, it will be a ghost town at Staples. I don't think there is any way they maintain the 16K+ per game at that point (if not sooner). I'll keep going as I'm sure the secondary ticket market will be a great value.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogie-Vachon View Post
    Seriously, other NHL teams, pay attention to what the Kings are doing. They are building a prospect system like we've never seen.

https://twitter.com/ByronMBader/stat...063972353?s=20
    Looks like the Kings walked away with 2 from his top 23 including Clarke at #1 .
    https://hockeyprospecting.com/2021/0...g-top-32-2021/