Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Ovie Stays, Fleury Goes, Tank Who Knows?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    342 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reg or Rog? View Post
    To each his own; I hated it.
    I grew up in Temple City. I've been in Chicago for over 20 years now, and Chicago is a great city. I'm pretty sure it's a little different than it was in 1979. Almost an entire half of the city has gentrified since then. And the weather really isn't that bad. It's late July and it's 73 degrees outside right now. The only thing about the weather that sucks is rain in the summertime.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3965 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiKingFan View Post
    I grew up in Temple City. I've been in Chicago for over 20 years now, and Chicago is a great city. I'm pretty sure it's a little different than it was in 1979. Almost an entire half of the city has gentrified since then. And the weather really isn't that bad. It's late July and it's 73 degrees outside right now. The only thing about the weather that sucks is rain in the summertime.
    OK today is great but that bull**** 100 degree heat index swamp ass earlier this week was not

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    655 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiKingFan View Post
    I spent the majority of my time near the base in North Chicago, and it was easily the worst place I had ever stepped foot into. Nearby Waukegan was almost as bad.

I did enjoy Lake Shore Drive and had a good time at The Water Tower Place. Of course, catching the Blizzard of '79 was just a matter of extremely bad timing, especially for someone that had never seen snow before or even made a snowball. The two-story house across the street was completely buried under a pile of snow. If I had to walk down an embankment, I just slid on my butt because I was going to fall down the hill anyway. And I was terrified to walk outside because there were 10 foot icicles hanging from the roof of the dorm and I had nightmares about being impaled or spiked through the top of my head.

But it was the mosquitos and the humidity that really got to me. Walking home from a bar one night (man there are a lot of bars in Chicago), we took a short cut through the wrong part of town...evidently near a swamp...and my buddy ended up in the ER from the mosquito bites.

All-in-all, I was happy to leave in one piece. Lyman Bostock wasn't so lucky. The California Angels outfielder was murdered in Chicago on the same night I went into the city to see the movie The Hills Have Eyes. It seemed to be a rather violent place.

Like I wrote, to each his own, but I literally kissed the runway when my plane landed in SoCal.

The Blizzard of '79

Lots of hanging ice

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    655 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    OK today is great but that bull**** 100 degree heat index swamp ass earlier this week was not
    When my plane landed in Chicago, I was not ready for what I was about to experience. The Navy sent a van to pick us up, and when I got inside the driver said, "Ya'll caught a hot one here today sailors...the heat index is well over 100..."

I got to the dorm and laid in my bunk and in five minutes the sheets had an imprint of my body made of sweat, not unlike one of those chalk outlines the police make to trace a dead body. My first thought was "How am I going to survive this?"

The answer: Beer. Lots and lots of beer. My roommate called Chicago "A Beer Drinkers Paradise". I was NOT a big beer drinker until I got to Chicago. That changed quick.

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    727 Post(s)

Lyman Bostock was killed in Gary, Indiana....close to Chicago...by some guy who was off his rocker. I don't think that is a good indication of the safety of Chicago at the time.

jom

I've got Myxomatosis
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    141 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reg or Rog? View Post
    Manhattan Beach is definitely an upgrade over, well, anywhere. Sure beats the hell out of Chicago. Then again, literal Hell itself beats the hell out of Chicago
    Different strokes, different folks. Vegas is the last place in the world Iíd want to live. 😅 Chicago is nowhere near the tops of my list, but at least itís not itís the Downtown Disney/Universal City walk of douchebag debauchery! Oh yeah, in the middle of a desert hellscape. But hey, thatís just me

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    655 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BDTR View Post
    Different strokes, different folks. Vegas is the last place in the world Iíd want to live. 😅 Chicago is nowhere near the tops of my list, but at least itís not itís the Downtown Disney/Universal City walk of douchebag debauchery! Oh yeah, in the middle of a desert hellscape. But hey, thatís just me
    I'm Italian and we had Mafia connections and I basically grew up at Lake Mead and Vegas. The "Boys" controlled the Hilton and we used to see shows in the front row...Bill Cosby, Elvis Presley, name it...all the big headliners in the 60's and 70's. We never paid for the shows or dinner and stayed in upper-level suites. It was my second home.

I still have family in Henderson and almost bought a place in Boulder City, and spent a lot of time at Boulder Beach. I don't mind the dry heat at all, it's the humidity that kills me.

The most uncomfortable I've ever been...I believe I mentioned it in this thread...was at Fort George Meade (just south of Baltimore) in June of 1996 wiring a biotech lab. I walked out the door of that building and went back to LA. It was even worse than Chicago, and worse than passing through Baker at 124 degrees (that giant thermometer almost exploded).

And I grew up riding motorcycles in Phelan (with Steve McQueen), so I'm kind of a Desert Rat type guy anyway, but I do prefer some water in the vicinity, like say, Lake Mead for example (although from what I understand there's not much water in Lake Mead these days and and Boulder Beach is closed).

As for Vegas itself, it's gone through a lot of changes and it's not as nice as it used to be. People dress like bums and now you have to pay to park and it's gotten even dirtier...but I still enjoy visiting and the MGM Grand is like my favorite place on Earth. And I always go up to the top of the Strat at night and take in the views and hit some rides (The Big Shot!).

Every major metropolitan area has its good and bad qualities, but I prefer to stay out of the humidity and snow if I can. Life is hard enough without having to deal with all that extreme weather BS. It alters too many plans and dictates your life in many ways.

All-in-all, I prefer the beach, but the traffic on the West Side has become intolerable. I worked in Santa Monica many times and it took 45 minutes to get to the damn 405 before I got to sit in traffic on that thing for another two hours.

Driving home from Santa Monica always reminds me of this classic scene from Office Space (I swear I was passed by the same old man on a walker everyday trying to get to the 405):