Thread: Apparently Alex Edler Is the Next Signing

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    602 Post(s)

Edler's solid for the next couple of years,hopefully some of the young guys will grow into their roles over time.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roenick View Post
    This site cracks me up. Nothing is ever good enough. None of us want to see the great/good/potentially good or great prospects go yet. LAK donít even know what they have yet in these prospects. Blake gets shredded for not doing enough but the cupboard is stocked for the first time really in their history. Todayís deals make complete sense. A low term and amount on a 4/5/6 defenseman who can make your defense better and he has a ton of NHL experience. Talk about low risk! The second deal is for a true 3C who can potentially fill in as a 2C until Turcotte or Byfield take that job. Additionally by signing a six year deal Danault is a large part of the big picture due to more term. They had to overpay to get him and he could become a Jarrett Stoll type of player. He already showed huge value with a lower seed team in the playoffs. The LAK are way better then they were yesterday.
    100%. The only thing I am not sure of - is it because it's Blake, like if we had some random outside hire GM making these moves, do the complaints go away OR is it just a general inability to trust anything with this team. I think it's partially a mix, but have a feeling it's a lot of the former.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2098 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal_Stick View Post
    100%. The only thing I am not sure of - is it because it's Blake, like if we had some random outside hire GM making these moves, do the complaints go away OR is it just a general inability to trust anything with this team. I think it's partially a mix, but have a feeling it's a lot of the former.
    personally, i think it's just disappointment. We all love to see the sexy pick. At least in the case of Jones, we all know what Blake has talked about wanting. We've seen the speculation and rumors. We wind up with... Edler. From a high vantage point, it makes sense. Teams pull in old vets to fill bottom pairings all the time. It brings some stability. It gives the young guys a bar to achieve. Practically speaking, it's a fine move. But it's nothing to get excited about, and i think that's what it boils down to. Kings fans want to get excited about their team. It's been a minute.

Bartender on Dry Island
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1771 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    personally, i think it's just disappointment. We all love to see the sexy pick. At least in the case of Jones, we all know what Blake has talked about wanting. We've seen the speculation and rumors. We wind up with... Edler. From a high vantage point, it makes sense. Teams pull in old vets to fill bottom pairings all the time. It brings some stability. It gives the young guys a bar to achieve. Practically speaking, it's a fine move. But it's nothing to get excited about, and i think that's what it boils down to. Kings fans want to get excited about their team. It's been a minute.
    Is there any time left to make moves or has time expired and the roster is set for opening night?

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1846 Post(s)

Guess Maata didnít cover our washed up quota.

For those of you scoring at home, Edler fell off the age cliff last season.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2098 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    Is there any time left to make moves or has time expired and the roster is set for opening night?
    Not sure if you’re asking a rhetorical question here, but I can’t see them making more moves. Not really any FA’s left. Most teams already made their trades. There are obviously a few names still out there, but I think most teams made their moves already. I’d imagine they also like to retain some wiggle room if that left shot defenseman becomes available. I think they’re done, but that doesn’t mean time has expired.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2098 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Guess Maata didn’t cover our washed up quota.

Yeah I have no love for the Edler pick up, but I don’t think it really hurts us. If our young guys can’t beat him out on the depth chart, that says more about them than him.

Bartender on Dry Island
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1771 Post(s)

Not sure if you’re asking a rhetorical question here, but I can’t see them making more moves. Not really any FA’s left. Most teams already made their trades. There are obviously a few names still out there, but I think most teams made their moves already. I’d imagine they also like to retain some wiggle room if that left shot defenseman becomes available. I think they’re done, but that doesn’t mean time has expired.
    Very rhetorical...and sarcastic. There's over 2 months until opening nite, so there's plenty of time for more roster moves.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1612 Post(s)

He did and it sucks. I loved watching him with the Sedin twins. He used to be Lidstrom light, then good slap shot turned into soft wrist shots into the goalie, but he still blocked a ton of shots and was defensive machine. Last year his numbers were bad. Hopefully he bounces back.

This fits the Blake MO of why sign one good player when you can gamble on 2 mediocre ones instead.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)

Everything I know about Edler is that he is no longer the player he once was.... obviously. He has, however, turned from a D with great offensive upside into more of a shutdown, leader type. The old Alex Edler would've broken the bank. Blake knows what he's getting here - a positive influence, who can be a good shut down D as long as he is not over-played. Is he making more than he should - yeah he is. That's what it takes to bring someone on a one year deal to a city he's never played in. If it's more than one year, totally get anyone not liking it. It's not. It's not our money, it's AEG's. It's a good move. And to be clear Olli Maata is what 27 years old? He's not washed up - he was just not that good and that signing was a mistake. Edler is the correction of that deal - small risk and if all goes wrong at least it's over at the end of the year.