Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHLs 10 worst contracts, 2021 edition: Drew Doughty retains his title

I was in the pool!!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3846 Post(s)

Default The NHLs 10 worst contracts, 2021 edition: Drew Doughty retains his title

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    566 Post(s)

I don't have a subscription, but Jeff Skinner has to have the worst contract in the NHL.

Drew is overpaid, but not by that much based on where the market is nowadays.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

I read the article. It’s based on straight statistical analysis. I’m a believer in fancy stats and it’s a great tool, but if that’s your only tool for evaluating a player (the article), then Kyle Dubas or John Chayka would love to offer you a job. Of course it might be short lived because eventually the owner is going to get tired of you explaining to him that according to the stats, you are a Stanley Cup Championship team, but reality proves otherwise.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
    I don't have a subscription, but Jeff Skinner has to have the worst contract in the NHL.

Drew is overpaid, but not by that much based on where the market is nowadays.
    Skinner is #3 . Sharks come in at #s 2 (Karlsson), 6 (Vlasic), and 7 (Couture). And in a bit of a surprise, Seth Jones already cracks the list at #4 .

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2098 Post(s)

Would love to see at least the relevant details for drew posted here. I find it hard to believe his contract is the worst in the NHL considering how bad some of those other contracts are.

I was in the pool!!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3846 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    Would love to see at least the relevant details for drew posted here. I find it hard to believe his contract is the worst in the NHL

considering how bad some of those other contracts are.
    A couple of charts and some of the reasoning from the article:

On a poor Kings team, Doughty had a below-average expected goal and actual share again, but he managed to reverse an ugly trend where he was below average relative to the team too. This time he was positive, the Kings’ best defender. Coupled with a 50-point pace, Doughty was worth about 1.3 wins per 82 last season. Not bad, and it’s clear he isn’t cooked just yet.
    The problem is that the expectation at $11 million is significantly higher than “top pair caliber.” The expectation is elite level play, roughly 2.6 wins on average through the life of the deal. That’s twice as good as Doughty’s return-to-form season. It’s an extremely high bar to clear, one prime Doughty could, but 31-year-old Doughty likely can’t. It’ll be an even bigger problem for 32, 33, 34, 35, and 36-year-old Doughty and that’s the main reason Doughty is here again at the top of this list.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2098 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    A couple of charts and some of the reasoning from the article:
    I cant help but wonder if Doughty would also benefit from having another top tier defenseman here to reduce his usage, a la Kopitar. Guy is a warrior, but at his age, you'd have to assume it's time to reduce his workload a bit and start considering his deployment.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    566 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiKingFan View Post
    Skinner is #3 . Sharks come in at #s 2 (Karlsson), 6 (Vlasic), and 7 (Couture). And in a bit of a surprise, Seth Jones already cracks the list at #4 .
    Thanks. If we offered up Drew straight 1 for 1 with no retention, Buffalo would agree to trade Skinner and the Sharks would agree to trade Karlsson in a heartbeat. Hell, San Jose might also be willing to swap Drew for Couture, Vlasic, Kane or Burns too.

(My point being that he has nowhere near the worst contract in the league.)
    Last edited by HeadInjury; August 11th, 2021 at 04:00 PM.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2098 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
    Thanks. If we offered up Drew straight 1 for 1 with no retention, Buffalo would agree to trade Skinner and the Sharks would agree to trade Karlsson in a heartbeat. Hell, San Jose might also be willing to swap Drew for Couture, Vlasic, Kane or Burns too.

(My point being that he has nowhere near the worst contract in the league.)
    yeah im having a hard time seeing how Drew stayed at the top of this list given those contracts. Karlsson's contract is slightly higher and a year longer. And that guy has seemingly cratered pretty hard.

Bartender on Dry Island
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1771 Post(s)

I just posted this in another thread...

I find it HILARIOUS that analytic nerds say Doughty's contract is THE worst in the NHL, while ACTUAL NHL PLAYERS rated him 4th best D last season and THE BEST D in 2019-20.