Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHLís 10 worst contracts, 2021 edition: Drew Doughty retains his title

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    895 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    Wow...just wow. Actual NHL people have no clue and only fans and analytic nerds are smart.

Okie dokie.
    Hmmm, I'm siding with the Santiclaws. Peers vote for their buddies. And Drew seems like the bro-iest bro eva and bros respect that air quotes quality. Just acknowledging that factor.

And, because I'm a ****ty person: I'd like to add the only reason Drew showed up for those first 17-21 games last season was because they threatened to drop him from the team Canada list. Furthermore: I'd trade him for Matthews* or Pasta today, and not look back. Buh-bye.

*the dirtstache would have to go

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1720 Post(s)

The thing is, DD shouldn't be this bad.
    The drop off isn't aging.(Vlasic, Couture)
    And it's not injury. (Like EKarlsson, Seguin)
    And he was that good. (Unlike Skinner, E-Larson, Morrissey)

Even if he's not Norris caliber anymore, he should be a top 20 D.
    It's caring. And preparing.
    He should be overpaid by $3M a season, not $7M.

Which, in my heart, I believe he will be again. I want to believe the bounce back was real, and as the team improves, so will DD. Taking him off this list.

Btw, players suck at evaluating players they don't play with or against. A lot never watch an NHL game. They rank by reputation.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    798 Post(s)

Here's a little more fuel for the ol' fuego.

https://theathletic.com/2757157/2021...ampaign=601983

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    The thing is, DD shouldn't be this bad.
    The drop off isn't aging.(Vlasic, Couture)
    And it's not injury. (Like EKarlsson, Seguin)
    And he was that good. (Unlike Skinner, E-Larson, Morrissey)

Even if he's not Norris caliber anymore, he should be a top 20 D.
    It's caring. And preparing.
    He should be overpaid by $3M a season, not $7M.

Which, in my heart, I believe he will be again. I want to believe the bounce back was real, and as the team improves, so will DD. Taking him off this list.

Btw, players suck at evaluating players they don't play with or against. A lot never watch an NHL game. They rank by reputation.
    Totally agree, the drop off is odd but may be due to Doughty trying to do too much (and therein not always doing the core things well) which may alleviate as the team around him gets better and others step up to push his ice time down. Doughty also isn't good at governing his own ice time as he often pulls long shifts which deteriorates his effectiveness. If he could improve this alone, or the coaching staff could better monitor and enforce this, it would make him a much more effective player.

That said, he is definitely not a top 5 worst contract and will naturally fall off the list in the next couple years (regardless of improving his play) as the cap increases and given the insane spending going on in the league which is likely to get worse.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)

It's a team game, it's a team game, it's a team game...

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DryKing View Post
    Totally agree, the drop off is odd but may be due to Doughty trying to do too much (and therein not always doing the core things well) which may alleviate as the team around him gets better and others step up to push his ice time down. Doughty also isn't good at governing his own ice time as he often pulls long shifts which deteriorates his effectiveness. If he could improve this alone, or the coaching staff could better monitor and enforce this, it would make him a much more effective player.
    Put Doughty on a good team where he has an experienced top-4 partner and where he isn't asked to play 26+ minutes a night and, voilŗ, he'll look like a much better player. Way too much has been asked of him and Kopitar in recent years. They took Brown off the penalty kill, and he had a better offensive season. It's not a coincidence. They've now added Danault to lessen the burden on Kopitar. They need to do more to help Doughty.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4095 Post(s)

I simply have to agree with Dom that his contract looks terrible still for what he's being paid. Dom also rates McDavid as the best contract in the NHL, because he's outplaying his value at even 12.5 million. It's not hard to understand that value when a guy hits 100 points in a 50 odd game season. There's a 1 million dollar difference there and a vastly different effectiveness happening. Doesn't mean I don't think Drew is a good hockey player, or that he has a decent shot at pulling hall consideration. What it does mean is that his contract and his play are both limiting the kings, but there's still a chance this all works out if there's talent around him.

Cut it however you want it but Ray Bourque, Nick Lidstrom would never have a question about being worth their contract. Drew, as much as his confidence needs it, simply can't compare to their level of dominance over the entirety of their careers.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    895 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    I simply have to agree with Dom that his contract looks terrible still for what he's being paid. Dom also rates McDavid as the best contract in the NHL, because he's outplaying his value at even 12.5 million. It's not hard to understand that value when a guy hits 100 points in a 50 odd game season. There's a 1 million dollar difference there and a vastly different effectiveness happening. Doesn't mean I don't think Drew is a good hockey player, or that he has a decent shot at pulling hall consideration. What it does mean is that his contract and his play are both limiting the kings, but there's still a chance this all works out if there's talent around him.

Cut it however you want it but Ray Bourque, Nick Lidstrom would never have a question about being worth their contract. Drew, as much as his confidence needs it, simply can't compare to their level of dominance over the entirety of their careers.
    Was going to post something similar but use Niedermayer and Lidstrom and point out that they did not take a couple years off because they were mad at the bench boss.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2303 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Cut it however you want it but Ray Bourque, Nick Lidstrom...
    If that's the bar tho...

I think most everyone here agrees that he isn't living up to his contract. But is he not living up to it to the tune of, "worst contract in the league"? I think that's where i'm going to have my doubts.

Bartender on Dry Island
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1892 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    Hmmm, I'm siding with the Santiclaws. Peers vote for their buddies. And Drew seems like the bro-iest bro eva and bros respect that air quotes quality. Just acknowledging that factor.

And, because I'm a ****ty person: I'd like to add the only reason Drew showed up for those first 17-21 games last season was because they threatened to drop him from the team Canada list. Furthermore: I'd trade him for Matthews* or Pasta today, and not look back. Buh-bye.

*the dirtstache would have to go
    I just think it's hilarious that fans think the actual NHLers are wrong. I've listened to hundreds of player and NHL staff interviews in various podcasts and they just don't do what you and santiclaws think they do. They do pay attention to the play of players in the season they're voting on. They don't vote on reputation. They don't vote for their buddies. The real-life actual NHL players and staff I listen to don't do what you guys say they do...nomatter what fans want to think.