Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Are you all watching this Canes troll job on Montreal? They offer sheeted Kotkeniemi

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    858 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    montreal just got played
    From the desk of Bergevin:

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    474 Post(s)

Bergevin compounds it by dealing a 1st AND a 2nd for Dvorak. Wow.

TheSwedishKing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)

Now this is fun!! Exactly what we need before the 21/22 season starts!

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    567 Post(s)

Somewhere I read a comment (I believe it was a Montreal fan) that it was best for everyone that Kotkeniemi move on. The poster commented that if the offer sheet was matched and Kotkeniemi thereafter struggled even a little bit, the Montreal media and fans would have been all over him. Obviously, that will still happen whenever Carolina comes to town.

Dvorak is the better player now. Kotkeniemi might end up being the better player later. So Carolina improves and Montreal losing Danault and Kotkeniemi and adding Dvorak has taken a step backwards. But Dvorak is signed for 4 years and had they matched on Kotkeniemi, they would have had the problem with extending a qualifying offer of over $6 million to him next year to retain his rights. So they avoid that issue too.

Still love how Carolina trolled on this. Have no issues with it whatsoever.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2105 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
    But Dvorak is signed for 4 years and had they matched on Kotkeniemi, they would have had the problem with extending a qualifying offer of over $6 million to him next year to retain his rights. So they avoid that issue too.
    Thing is, they probably could have had Kotkaniemi at a reasonable price had they not hardballed him on the bridge deal. And it's possible they could have gotten more via trade. You'd have to think the Canes were offering close to, and maybe even a bit more via trade. They shot themselves in the foot. It's also possible Kotkaniemi becomes Dvorak as soon as next season. A lot of "ifs", but i think within 2 years this will likely look like poor GM'ing by the canadiens. I also think he has some leeway in carolina despite the price tag, because most people seem to expect that he's going to sign for less on an extension, so the 6.1mil price tag now is sort of "the price of doing business". At the end of the day, everything is going to hinge on how this kid progresses, but chances are carolina will win this one pretty handily. I think the montreal fan is simply looking for some silver linings here, and they are few and far between.

Additionally, Dvorak now has the pressure of coming in and playing in the top 6 of what is likely to be a team that struggles to make the playoffs. If he doesn't have a decent season, and kotkaniemi breaks even, all the talking heads are going to be asking why they wasted assets on a guy they maybe didn't need when they should have been retooling. What would have been a young kid struggling with consistency on a bad team, is now a guy they traded for with higher expectations. There's still a lot that can go wrong for montreal here.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Dvorak may be the better player now, but he is still a marginal top sixer, just a smidge over .5ppg. I am a little surprised that they aren't spinning this more as a replacement for Danault's offense than as an upgrade on the kid.

Either way, they had a hell of a flukey run, its most likely back to the trou noir for them this year.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    858 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sultanic View Post
    Dvorak may be the better player now, but he is still a marginal top sixer, just a smidge over .5ppg. I am a little surprised that they aren't spinning this more as a replacement for Danault's offense than as an upgrade on the kid.

Either way, they had a hell of a flukey run, its most likely back to the trou noir for them this year.
    When you say to replace Danault's offense, did you mean all 8 goals? Heh. Just giving you a bad time*. Seems like a sound assessment that Les Habitants will float back down to a realistic level of success. But happy they gave the NHL a little wild card chaos to deal with last year. Poor Canada always the brides maid...

[Morephus picture] What if I told you Ottawa will be the next Canadian team to win the cup.

* Although I do have an all caps (bad grammar/profanity/no punctuation) post about who exactly will be scoring goals for the Los Angeles King's next year burning an ulcer in my tummy. Best to keep that tiger in the cage. *Sigh*
    *Tummy nosies*