Sizzler Across The Street
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    939 Post(s)

Default HELENE ELLIOTT Nails It - LA TIMES

Last edited by SirJW; September 22nd, 2021 at 01:21 PM.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3985 Post(s)

I know it's behind a pay wall but it's a good habit to post the source link.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1487 Post(s)

Dang, no mention of bringing color back to the brand!

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

There should be no paywall with this cached link:
    https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...=firefox-b-1-d

yes, this link works.

Sometimes a cached link will get you beyond the paywall

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    567 Post(s)

I realize the writer of an newspaper article often does not write the article's title, but what exactly were the supposed "excuses" being made? They were tearing down the roster and adding assets for the past few seasons. Then this offseason, they decided it was time to add some veteran pieces and try to complete. None of that involves making excuses.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)

What are the excuses for their terrible decision making?

Answer: They didn’t know any better

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2105 Post(s)

i think the excuses revolve around the notion that they set a goal for making the playoffs last season and missed that, and in the article Luc specifically says, "no excuses..." implying that last season did not meet expectations. They've improved a decent amount from the team last season, so they pretty much have to get into the playoffs now. And I agree... I don't care what people think is the most realistic timeline for a rebuild, the team has signaled its plans to get into the playoffs. It's time to put up or get fired.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    671 Post(s)

Elliot's a fine hockey writer. I've always enjoyed her work. I have a media friend that knows her and he says she's sharp as a tack.

Anyway, it's fall and you can practically smell the stinky hockey pads in the air right now. And fans wearing Kings jerseys and hats are starting to come out of the woodwork...

...I ran into a couple of Kings fans at the AAA office in Montrose yesterday, one inside and the other out in the parking lot. I asked the guy inside, "So, do you think the Kings make the playoffs this year?"

His reply: "No, not this year. I think it's going to take another year or two. We're still too young and too old..."

Then I asked him what he thought of Blake before adding that I admired Blake's patient approach to the rebuild. "Patience is fine, but he did this rebuild all wrong. He played it like we're some small market team. I'm hoping for a new GM next year, if not at some point during this season."

I replied, "Yeah, but if we were to win it all this season, he'd look like a genius."

He laughed, "Um, no man, the Kings are not going to win at all this year..."

I appreciated the fact that I spoke his honest opinion. He sure as heck didn't hold back. Then I got outside and I asked the other Kings fan the same question. He answered, "Oh hell yeah we're making the playoffs! We have the perfect mix of youth and vets...we've got smarts and speed and I like the fact we're doing this the right way. We're building a future dynasty!" I just smiled and replied, "I hope you're right..."

Well, there you have it. Lots of differences of opinion.

I personally have no freakin' idea. I've been right about the Kings in the past a few times, most recently in 2012 when I decided to go to as many Kings games as possible after we changed coaches and traded for Jeff Carter. I just had this gut feeling.

After attending 11 straight losses, then seeing The Royal Rebound game against the Stars in 2007, we saw 16 more losses in a row over the course of the next four seasons. I suddenly felt like I was a bad luck charm for the Kings (and I was at both the Frenzy on Fig and the Miracle on Manchester). But I just had this funny feeling we we're going to turn it around. Because we were in last place and seemingly out of the playoff race, we were able to buy tickets off Stub Hub for five bucks, and we saw seven straight wins in a row, starting on February 25th two days after we traded for Carter. We beat the Blackhawks, Ducks, Red Wings, Predators, Sharks, Blues and Oilers and squeaked into the playoffs. My gut was right.

But I don't have any feel for this team right now. I haven't see a game in almost three years and I honestly don't know what to expect. If we suck, it wouldn't surprise me, and if we make the playoffs it wouldn't surprise me either. All I know is I'll be happy to see another game in person, mask or COVID regulations or whatever. But it would be a bonus if we didn't suck. The end of last season was ugly, as bad as I've ever seen this team play, and that includes the Dark Days After The Great One.

Sizzler Across The Street
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    939 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    I know it's behind a pay wall but it's a good habit to post the source link.
    Actually- I posted the entire article - I named the writer & her publication - I am not sure why my post was edited by SirJW.

What’s wrong with posting an entire article? Anyone can post a link. But I have a subscription-so I’m sharing.

I was in the pool!!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3848 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogie-Vachon View Post

What’s wrong with posting an entire article? Anyone can post a link. But I have a subscription-so I’m sharing.
    Posting an entire article is a copyright violation and this site can get into deep legal trouble.