Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time to bring back Lombardi.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2xcrash View Post
    For 3 amazing seasons I'd put up with 8 terrible ones. But were going nowhere fast, Drew's injury just showed us how horrible a team we really are.
    This is revisionist history. The Kings were not terrible for 8 years. They were bad for the first two years. Then they made the playoffs 6 out of the remaining 9 years.

There isn't a successful GM in NHL history who didn't make very bad moves that ultimately led to their firing. Go look at the resume of greatest GM in modern NHL history, Lou Lamoriello, and tell me he didn't put together a bunch of really bad teams while making an equal amount of bad personnel decisions. Do you know how many times Devils fans asked if the game had left Lou left behind?

Lombardi isn't Lou but he's a builder with a vision and above all else he was a winner. He built a team that could've realistically won 3 Stanley Cups. That's not a fluke.

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    737 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    And it took 6 years to win that first Cup...
    It sure beats the crap out of the 50 years of stupidity that preceded it. So maybe Blake should get some slack here.

Whatever, I think we should move on although I think DL did a great job regardless of the "trading away the future" non-sense I hear. That's what you do when you have to maintain a winning team. It didn't work out....oh well....it's fairly difficult to accomplish...most fail at it.

jom

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4773 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Statue4Deano View Post
    What did Lombardi start with? Kopitar, Brown and a bunch of wildcard prospects.

How many GMs have won multiple Stanley Cups over the past 30 years?
    Just pointing out the time it took to build a winner. Why the challenge?

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    Just pointing out the time it took to build a winner. Why the challenge?
    Just asking for some perspective is all. If you look around the league you see the GM seats are filled with re-treads. Yes there's an old boys network but look at all the young new blood who have flamed out. The GM game requires a special set of skills and Deano has those skills. Yes mistakes were made but maybe the 2nd go round would be better?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    780 Post(s)

This is revisionist history. The Kings were not terrible for 8 years. They were bad for the first two years. Then they made the playoffs 6 out of the remaining 9 years.

There isn't a successful GM in NHL history who didn't make very bad moves that ultimately led to their firing. Go look at the resume of greatest GM in modern NHL history, Lou Lamoriello, and tell me he didn't put together a bunch of really bad teams while making an equal amount of bad personnel decisions. Do you know how many times Devils fans asked if the game had left Lou left behind?

Lombardi isn't Lou but he's a builder with a vision and above all else he was a winner. He built a team that could've realistically won 3 Stanley Cups. That's not a fluke.
    Absolutely 100% correct.

We lost to Chicago, the eventual Cup winners, 4-1 in the Conference Finals, and all the games were close. In fact, we lost three of the four games by one goal, the last game in two overtimes. I actually thought the 2013 team was better than the 2012 or 2014 teams, even though we finished in second place behind the Ducks in the Pacific. It was a weird year with the lockout and a 48-game season, but I thought we hit our stride in the playoffs and just caught some bad luck and a hot team with a hot goalie in Crawford for Chicago. And Kane was playing out of his mind.

So, yeah, we came close to winning three straight Cups, which is undisputed dynasty level.

I'd take Lombardi back in a heartbeat.

O Captain, My Captain!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

The single biggest reason to want Lombardi back would be all those dumb decisions he made after the second cup. There's no way he would let that sentimentality cloud his judgement again after the way that team imploded. Which would be the second best reason to bring Lombardi back -- that team imploded in the most sensational, tragic ways possible.

Those arguments and speculation about Voynov and Richards were some of the darkest times in Kings lore, followed immediately after basking in the franchises greatest moments.

It's notable how blurry the vision for this team has been since Lombardi and Sutter were released.

The question mark for Lombardi is that the league has seemingly moved away from the style of teams he built. Remember how poorly his Olympic roster faired?

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    The single biggest reason to want Lombardi back would be all those dumb decisions he made after the second cup. There's no way he would let that sentimentality cloud his judgement again after the way that team imploded. Which would be the second best reason to bring Lombardi back -- that team imploded in the most sensational, tragic ways possible.

Those arguments and speculation about Voynov and Richards were some of the darkest times in Kings lore, followed immediately after basking in the franchises greatest moments.

It's notable how blurry the vision for this team has been since Lombardi and Sutter were released.

The question mark for Lombardi is that the league has seemingly moved away from the style of teams he built. Remember how poorly his Olympic roster faired?
    Fundamentally and tactically, Lombardi's preference for play style and team structure is almost identical to David Poile. What Poile did better than Lombardi was unearth a few more high end gems on the blueline via the draft. They both preach building from the net out but that's actually a bit of sleight of hand. Really they both were building from the blueline out. Yes goaltending was vital but a stout blueline turns a good goaltender into a great one. Love ya, Quickie. Truly everything revolved around defensemen. That's why losing Voynov spelled doom for Lombardi. Yes he still had Muzzin and Doughty but losing another guy who could play 20 minutes a night and move the puck as well as anyone wrecked everything behind that first pair. Now if Deano could've hit it out of the park with Hickey, Teubert or even Forbort he'd probably still have a job right now but missing on those 1st rounders and Voynov getting himself deported forced Dean's hand into some desperate moves.

You saw him pay through the nose for McNabb and Sekera then when those guys didn't work out it was a constant rotation of hail marys and has beens/never was'.

All this is to say Dean is smart enough to know you can't win with a group like the 2012 squad again.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    268 Post(s)

What did Lombardi start with? Kopitar, Brown and a bunch of wildcard prospects.

How many GMs have won multiple Stanley Cups over the past 30 years?
    Okay, back up here...

I love DL. Best GM we ever had (despite the flameout at the end). He was also personally kind to my family - gave us his tickets to see the team in Ottawa etc. If they suddenly decided to re-hire him, I'm onboard. BUT...

Talk about revisionist history - he didn't just have Kopitar and Brown, he had Kopitar, Brown AND Quick and in case you don't remember - that first cup would not have happened (the playoffs wouldn't have happened) without him. I'd also argue his 2014 is grossly under-rated because the first three games hurt his GAA significantly. So DL started with three major pieces, three of the best players for the cup and then there's Doughty:

I give full marks to DL for taking Doughty. Today, everyone acts like it was a given that he would be taken, but there was a ton of debate at the time and DL chose right - so full marks. BUT... how did we get that draft pick in the first place? DL hired a coach that he thought was perfect for young players and would make the team competitive while re-tooling. Instead, he was awful and the team tanked. So, DL had some major pieces to work with and some luck, in that some poor decision making worked out in our favor.

All this to say, you can defend DL all you want and he deserves to be forgiven for what he did post-cups. It's clear what he was trying to do and it didn't work - I'll take two cups for that, but he started with three of the main, core pieces and some bad luck/mistakes had to align for it all to work out perfectly.

Dorkus Malorkus
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    737 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal_Stick View Post
    Okay, back up here...

I love DL. Best GM we ever had (despite the flameout at the end). He was also personally kind to my family - gave us his tickets to see the team in Ottawa etc. If they suddenly decided to re-hire him, I'm onboard. BUT...

Talk about revisionist history - he didn't just have Kopitar and Brown, he had Kopitar, Brown AND Quick and in case you don't remember - that first cup would not have happened (the playoffs wouldn't have happened) without him. I'd also argue his 2014 is grossly under-rated because the first three games hurt his GAA significantly. So DL started with three major pieces, three of the best players for the cup and then there's Doughty:

I give full marks to DL for taking Doughty. Today, everyone acts like it was a given that he would be taken, but there was a ton of debate at the time and DL chose right - so full marks. BUT... how did we get that draft pick in the first place? DL hired a coach that he thought was perfect for young players and would make the team competitive while re-tooling. Instead, he was awful and the team tanked. So, DL had some major pieces to work with and some luck, in that some poor decision making worked out in our favor.

All this to say, you can defend DL all you want and he deserves to be forgiven for what he did post-cups. It's clear what he was trying to do and it didn't work - I'll take two cups for that, but he started with three of the main, core pieces and some bad luck/mistakes had to align for it all to work out perfectly.
    Good post but one thing that isn't mentioned a lot is the development system DL put in place. Sure Brown, Kopitar and Quick were already with the team but you don't draft players then go away. You have to develop them and DL system had a lot to do with their growth...especially Quick after DL hired Bill Ranford. Just sayin'.....

jom

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    439 Post(s)

DL talked about learning from his mistakes as Sharks GM while scouting for the Flyers and he certainly has learned from his Kings mistakes during his 2nd tour with the Flyers. Unless there is someone else that I'm not thinking of, why couldn't he do a 2nd tour with the Kings?

Count me in.