tabernack ... good luck in montreal clague

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)

Well another wasted draft pick where the Kings wind up with nothing. That is bad drafting.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    439 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jgs View Post
    Well another wasted draft pick where the Kings wind up with nothing. That is bad drafting.
    Agree with the comment. In recent history there's been far too many players drafted by the Kings inside the first 4 rounds that have amounted to a total waste of time when you think about it. Also a waste of a pick too, of course

once players turn roughly 24 years and are still stuck in AHL or waiver limbo, chances are they will never stick in the NHL. Clague did get an assist against Montreal here a couple weeks ago- they must've been really impressed!

side note - lately some have been mentioning call up Frk from Ontario. That's ok for a handful of games, but that's all it will be. He's not a prospect at this point and not a bridge player either. Same with Tkachev, these guys are really around to give the AHL kids a chance to win and keep winning once a kid like JAD gets called up. Sacrificial lambs to the hockey gods.

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4853 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg33 View Post
    Agree with the comment. In recent history there's been far too many players drafted by the Kings inside the first 4 rounds that have amounted to a total waste of time when you think about it. Also a waste of a pick too, of course

once players turn roughly 24 years and are still stuck in AHL or waiver limbo, chances are they will never stick in the NHL. Clague did get an assist against Montreal here a couple weeks ago- they must've been really impressed!
    Yet another Lombardi drafted defenseman in an early round who is no longer with the team. Dean had much better luck with trades and free agent signings for acquiring blue line help.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2553 Post(s)

Clague will excel in Montreal. Good for him.

Bartender on Dry Island
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1866 Post(s)

Have you compared the Kings' record to other teams?

I was in the pool!!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3989 Post(s)

"Inside the first 4 rounds"??? This ain't the NFL. Only about half of 3rd rounders play in even one NHL game and less than half of players drafted in the 4th round play even one. Few second rounders turn into regular NHL'ers. The Kings have done well above NHL average in the draft - for drafts from 2005 through 2016, 56% of their picks played in the NHL, well above the league average of 49%. The average NHL games per pick for the Kings for that period was 147, which puts them first in the NHL. https://theathletic.com/2499520/2021...st-since-2005/
    Same with Tkachev, these guys are really around to give the AHL kids a chance to win and keep winning once a kid like JAD gets called up. Sacrificial lambs to the hockey gods.
    No, not the same with Tkachev. Tkachev was never supposed to play in the AHL, he has an escape clause in his contract allowing him to go back to Russia if he is sent down. I'm surprised he agreed to go to the AHL at all, but I assume if he doesn't get a call up soon, he's gone. So no, he was never intended to help the Knights. It was always NHL or go home.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    439 Post(s)

The quantity is irrelevant.

it is the quality that needs to be judged.

If Tkachev is waiting for a seat sale to Russia, it could be awhile

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    594 Post(s)

I wish Clague had done better here. Still I’m sad to see him go. Good luck to him in Montreal.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)

Here’s my issue with it all. I saw Clague do some things right and some stuff he needed to work on. I saw Tkachev do the same. I saw Vilardi struggle. I saw reasons for all to be sent down but I also saw reasons for some hope. The issue is that Tkachev and Clague especially, seem to fall out of favour to a point that they don’t get a chance to earn it back. Vilardi seems similar but I realize he had more time to improve.

So I’m not thrilled with the coach in these scenarios, but I think it comes from the GM too because he’s made it clear we are making the playoffs. So naturally the coach is going to lean towards playing the Browns and the Maattas rather than letting someone like Clague learn on the job. This team is not ready for the playoffs but cutting loose prospects would make you think they are.