All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2298 Post(s)

To me, the Kings clearly looked gassed from the night before. A lot (and i mean a LOT) of lackadaisical skating out there, especially on the PP. Same with the passing at times. The PP, to me, was a great insight into the team's compete level last night. They simply had no urgency, and very little interest in even pretending they were going to do something other than drop pass to Kempe. the initial guy with the puck was entirely to casual. And that general attitude seemed prevalent, if not slightly more difficult to spot throughout the rest of the game. The Kupari play for the third goal is just... ugly. Additionally, i thought Cal looked very out of practice. The bounce off Doughty was not his at all, but the 2nd goal wrap around after the miss found Cal just entirely out of position and laying down. Additionally, his rebound control looked poor all night (caveat i didnt get to see the 1st period).

I know it's fairly standard to not skate the morning after the first game on a back to back, but if this is the sort of effort we're going to see on back to back games, they night need to look at blowing up the standards, because these guys looked completely disinterested. Even if it's a very light skate, they clearly needed something to help get their mental side of the game focused. You cant claim to have playoffs in mind and come out against one of the worst teams in the league with so little focus and effort. This was a must win game. Not sure if this is on coach per se, but i think McClellan needs to look at ways to read this team and better prepare for games like this, because we've seen it repeatedly.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Playing back to back on the road after a very strong effort against a very good team. Then playing an underperforming team just after it fired their coach and GM. Plus having our weaker goaltender in. I would have been very surprised if the result was different.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    858 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    To me, the Kings clearly looked gassed from the night before. A lot (and i mean a LOT) of lackadaisical skating out there, especially on the PP. Same with the passing at times. The PP, to me, was a great insight into the team's compete level last night. They simply had no urgency, and very little interest in even pretending they were going to do something other than drop pass to Kempe. the initial guy with the puck was entirely to casual. And that general attitude seemed prevalent, if not slightly more difficult to spot throughout the rest of the game. The Kupari play for the third goal is just... ugly. Additionally, i thought Cal looked very out of practice. The bounce off Doughty was not his at all, but the 2nd goal wrap around after the miss found Cal just entirely out of position and laying down. Additionally, his rebound control looked poor all night (caveat i didnt get to see the 1st period).

I know it's fairly standard to not skate the morning after the first game on a back to back, but if this is the sort of effort we're going to see on back to back games, they night need to look at blowing up the standards, because these guys looked completely disinterested. Even if it's a very light skate, they clearly needed something to help get their mental side of the game focused. You cant claim to have playoffs in mind and come out against one of the worst teams in the league with so little focus and effort. This was a must win game. Not sure if this is on coach per se, but i think McClellan needs to look at ways to read this team and better prepare for games like this, because we've seen it repeatedly.
    Great post!

I'm having a hard time with the team being tired on a back-to-back. Sunday's game ended almost 24 hours before Monday's game started. It's a 90 minute flight from Edmonton to Vancouver. These are highly compensated professional athletes. Coming out that lethargic is BS. The team looked and played tired. Both mentally and physically.

It's a great excuse, but I ain't buying it.

And what the hell is up with Cal this season? Barring a remarkable turnaround, that big fat contract is beginning to look like a big fat mistake.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    858 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
    Playing back to back on the road after a very strong effort against a very good team. Then playing an underperforming team just after it fired their coach and GM. Plus having our weaker goaltender in. I would have been very surprised if the result was different.
    That's an understatement.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reg or Rog? View Post
    That's an understatement.
    My biggest concern right now in the new contract given to Petersen. He's playing like an average backup goaltender. I realize players struggle sometimes after signing their first big contract, but right now he is our biggest weakness.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)

My biggest concern right now in the new contract given to Petersen. He's playing like an average backup goaltender. I realize players struggle sometimes after signing their first big contract, but right now he is our biggest weakness.
    As I stated when he got the contract, "Im not sold on Cal".

That said, the 2nd goal last night was flat out BAD! He seems slow and out of position in general.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2298 Post(s)

I'm having a hard time with the team being tired on a back-to-back. Sunday's game ended almost 24 hours before Monday's game started. It's a 90 minute flight from Edmonton to Vancouver. These are highly compensated professional athletes. Coming out that lethargic is BS. The team looked and played tired. Both mentally and physically.
    Highly paid athletes or not, im sure the 2nd game of a back to back is going to be tough. But good teams generally find a way. And it wasnt like we played Vancouver first and then got shelled by a good oilers team. Just a lot of mental breakdowns and weak play all around. I sort of mentioned McClellan needing to look at this and figure out a solution, but I remember Sutter talking once about how he cant get each player ready for a game. Only the player can do that. Our best players looked like they didnt "find a way" and it sort of trickled down.

As for Cal, im starting to wonder how soon until McClellan rides quick until the wheels fall off. They need wins, and Cal isnt giving them a lift when they need it. Sort of related, but they cut to a closeup of Cal after that Kupari turnover and he looked like he was going to murder somebody. They need to get him settled down, and i commented on it earlier in the season, but 50/50 splits for goaltenders dont generally lead to great outcomes. These guys seem to need more consistent play. Not to say Cal would be better with more games right now, but it's certainly something to ponder. This season has been really interesting with all the different subplots happening. Ton of injuries. Quick somehow finding his game again. Cal faltering.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1706 Post(s)

Great post!

It's a great excuse, but I ain't buying it.

And what the hell is up with Cal this season? Barring a remarkable turnaround, that big fat contract is beginning to look like a big fat mistake.
    Exactly with the back to back. That's baloney in 2021. These aren't some fat out of shape guys. These are highly paid athletes who take great care of their bodies. That said, the numbers do back up a slump on back to back games.

The average team gets 1.113 points per game in the NHL.
    With 0 days rest, the average team gets 0.973 PPG
    With 1 day rest, the average team gets 1.158 PPG.
    With 2 days rest, the average team gets 1.122 PPG.
    With 3 days rest, the average team gets 1.088 PPG.
    I guess there is a goldilocks range with too much or too little rest being bad. But I don't think the Kings were so tired and wiped out that they should have gone from 5-1 to 0-4. That was terrible.

No idea with Cal. From being above average to being well below average. Quick is 9th in GSAA and Cal is 60th. If anyone can fix his game, it is Ranford. We're lucky to have BR.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4093 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    So I was wondering how the stats count that? I mean, if you score a goal on one 2 minute PP out of 4, that's 25%. Two out of four, 50%. But how is 3 goals on a five-minute major calculated?
    My understanding is that they consider the first goal to have ended that PP, another one is awarded and then if successful then again. So basically the stats should read they went 3/3 on that powerplay as each opportunity is calculated as a new PP.

Add in the two other unsuccessful PP's and for the game they are credited as having gone 3/5 on the night.
    Last edited by jammer06; December 7th, 2021 at 01:39 PM. Reason: checked the scoresheet to confirm

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    642 Post(s)

And with the other team I'm following, the Kraken, Grubauer is the glaring weakness after signing his big FA contract.

Last night, I recorded the Kraken game, and watched the King/Canuck game live. After being bored to death by the Kings, I watched the recorded Kraken game, and even though they were handled easily by Pittsburgh, the Kraken were far more entertaining to watch. I have found that to be the case many times this season. The players on Seattle just seem more engaged than those on the Kings.