1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post
    And with the other team I'm following, the Kraken, Grubauer is the glaring weakness after signing his big FA contract.

Last night, I recorded the Kraken game, and watched the King/Canuck game live. After being bored to death by the Kings, I watched the recorded Kraken game, and even though they were handled easily by Pittsburgh, the Kraken were far more entertaining to watch. I have found that to be the case many times this season. The players on Seattle just seem more engaged than those on the Kings.
    There in is the root of the problem.

Culture of the team in a nutshell.

O Captain, My Captain!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    615 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    As for Cal, im starting to wonder how soon until McClellan rides quick until the wheels fall off. They need wins, and Cal isnt giving them a lift when they need it. Sort of related, but they cut to a closeup of Cal after that Kupari turnover and he looked like he was going to murder somebody. They need to get him settled down, and i commented on it earlier in the season, but 50/50 splits for goaltenders dont generally lead to great outcomes. These guys seem to need more consistent play. Not to say Cal would be better with more games right now, but it's certainly something to ponder. This season has been really interesting with all the different subplots happening. Ton of injuries. Quick somehow finding his game again. Cal faltering.
    One of the weird mysteries about Cal is how consistent our back up goaltending has been back to, like, forever ago. Think of all the plug and play names that have come through and been rock solid just since the Quick/Bernier development. I almost can't remember them all: Jones / Scrivens / Enroth / Kuemper / Campbell ...

After all that time with hardly a worry about the #2 , suddenly Cal becomes an enigma. Weird year all around.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2298 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    One of the weird mysteries about Cal is how consistent our back up goaltending has been back to, like, forever ago. Think of all the plug and play names that have come through and been rock solid just since the Quick/Bernier development. I almost can't remember them all: Jones / Scrivens / Enroth / Kuemper / Campbell ...

After all that time with hardly a worry about the #2 , suddenly Cal becomes an enigma. Weird year all around.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the lack of starts might maybe getting to him. Like, he signs a great contract, and did anybody have quick pegged for the season he’s having? Not saying cal has earned it this season, but I could see maybe being disappointed to some degree with how things have gone for him personally.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    850 Post(s)

I wouldn’t be surprised if the lack of starts might maybe getting to him. Like, he signs a great contract, and did anybody have quick pegged for the season he’s having? Not saying cal has earned it this season, but I could see maybe being disappointed to some degree with how things have gone for him personally.
    Mental toughness may be the most important part of goaltending. When Quick became the number 1 goalie, he was only supposed to be there until Bernier was ready. But he wouldn’t give the Kings any reason to start anyone else. Cal needs to have that in him.

i like the kings
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    360 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tran View Post
    And Boudreau is back to being Boudreau.

https://twitter.com/mrbooth07/status...235510275?s=21
    Lol that's me every time I get up.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2298 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
    Mental toughness may be the most important part of goaltending. When Quick became the number 1 goalie, he was only supposed to be there until Bernier was ready. But he wouldn’t give the Kings any reason to start anyone else. Cal needs to have that in him.
    I definitely agree, but on a human level, i could see how that might effect him a bit.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4093 Post(s)

I definitely agree, but on a human level, i could see how that might effect him a bit.
    Gotta remember most super elite athletes that can reach the NHL or their respective top tiers are decidedly not normal humans. Often they are barely functional in regular society due to their focus levels. Definitely why certain situations can snowball way faster than our frames of reference feel are justified. It's also why certain management decisions feel so heavy handed to the outside world, or otherwise entirely preventable situations as seen from the outside happen so often.

Time wounds all heels.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    265 Post(s)

They simply had no urgency, and very little interest in even pretending they were going to do something other than drop pass to Kempe.
    That falls on the veterans that are supposed to be setting an example for our plethora of highly ranked prospects. The sooner the Kings get rid of the old core, the better. They aren't teaching the young guys anything except how to be crappy.