Thread: TMac is choking again

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)

Youíre going to appreciate the fact that TMac even had an opportunity to Ďchokeí in a playoff series this year, when this team regresses next season and fails to squeak into the playoffs. Get ready for some of that Ďnon-linearí growth and progression, because our next batch of buns arenít even close to being ready to pull from the oven. Ontario is NOT a good indicator or progress, to be clear. It was players like Frk and Tynan carrying that team to victory, not Byfield and Turcotte

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLeftHand View Post
    You’re going to appreciate the fact that TMac even had an opportunity to ‘choke’ in a playoff series this year, when this team regresses next season and fails to squeak into the playoffs. Get ready for some of that ‘non-linear’ growth and progression, because our next batch of buns aren’t even close to being ready to pull from the oven. Ontario is NOT a good indicator or progress, to be clear. It was players like Frk and Tynan carrying that team to victory, not Byfield and Turcotte
    Tynan and Frk led the pack, but saying they carried the team is a stretch. JAD, Spence, Vilardi, Madden, and Tkachev all played significant roles, as did Thomas in the playoffs. Also think of what Andersson would have done had he been able to be assigned to the AHL rather than the NHL practice squad, and Taylor Ward looks like a nice pickup with potential. That's not even including the next wave coming, or a player like Turcotte who spent the year injured. I agree that it will be tougher next year for the Kings to make the playoffs, but no need for the doom and gloom.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4288 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DryKing View Post
    Tynan and Frk led the pack, but saying they carried the team is a stretch. JAD, Spence, Vilardi, Madden, and Tkachev all played significant roles, as did Thomas in the playoffs. Also think of what Andersson would have done had he been able to be assigned to the AHL rather than the NHL practice squad, and Taylor Ward looks like a nice pickup with potential. That's not even including the next wave coming, or a player like Turcotte who spent the year injured. I agree that it will be tougher next year for the Kings to make the playoffs, but no need for the doom and gloom.
    I'm still most intrigued by what Thomas can bring to the big club. He seems like he can bring what Moore was bringing in the bottom six before he turned the corner into a top six player. Its not sexy but you need those guys coming through too. He doesn't have amazing size or anything but I hear about how he's constantly part of the play and I don't think you ever go wrong with players like that.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    I'm still most intrigued by what Thomas can bring to the big club. He seems like he can bring what Moore was bringing in the bottom six before he turned the corner into a top six player. Its not sexy but you need those guys coming through too. He doesn't have amazing size or anything but I hear about how he's constantly part of the play and I don't think you ever go wrong with players like that.
    Yeah, I think you are on to something there with the Moore comparison. I tracked Thomas pretty hard while he was in the OHL and really expected him to become a top 6 especially after seeing his ability to adapt and be successful after the mid season OHL trade, but his development at the AHL level was initially slower than I had expected. That said, the few games he was somewhat healthy this season reinforced the hope that he may have top 6 potential in the future.

Thought this article was a good read - excerpt below:

https://thehockeywriters.com/kings-p...s-akil-thomas/

Scouting Report

Thomas is a complete player: an elite skater who makes good decisions in all situations. As demonstrated by his point totals, he is more of a playmaker, but there is no doubt that he still has scoring ability, putting his outstanding skating to use.

Related: Kings’ 2021-22 Midseason Prospects Report

There isn’t a lot to complain about when it comes to Thomas’s play. When he was drafted, his biggest weaknesses were his size, strength, and physical play. Since then, that side of his game has developed and will continue to get better as he gets older.
    NHL Projection

While Thomas is listed as a center, he could move to the wing if he is going to be a part of the Kings’ future; LA is loaded down the middle, and shifting him to the wing should allow him to get more opportunities and balance the lineup. As far as lineup projections go, he could be a middle-six forward or even top-six if he rebounds from his injury and continues to improve.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    199 Post(s)

You’re going to appreciate the fact that TMac even had an opportunity to ‘choke’ in a playoff series this year, when this team regresses next season and fails to squeak into the playoffs. Get ready for some of that ‘non-linear’ growth and progression, because our next batch of buns aren’t even close to being ready to pull from the oven. Ontario is NOT a good indicator or progress, to be clear. It was players like Frk and Tynan carrying that team to victory, not Byfield and Turcotte
    Regress from what? Have even worse special teams? Even fewer goals from the D corps?

Kings were dead last in expected goals for vs. actual so can’t get worse there. Shooting percentage at 6.7%. Oof.

Can Byfield, Kupari etc. actually regress if they haven’t done anything yet?

There’s upside in having very clear issues to address. Don’t think the work that needs to be done is lost on anyone.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DryKing View Post
    I will concede that the reason the Reign got demolished by Colorado was likely due to the fact that they were missing players like Vilardi, Turcotte, Byfield, Andersson, Spence, Durzi, etc. Opponents definitely seemed to be more capable of shutting down Tynan/Frk with the young prospects out of the lineup.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    He does seem to have a knack for scoring goals, which has been the King's sorest spot for decades. I was concerned with his first 30 regular season games this year, coming back from double shoulder surgery, but he seemed to spark towards the end of the season, and had a nice showing in the playoffs. Here's hoping this translates to the bigs.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clif View Post
    Regress from what? Have even worse special teams? Even fewer goals from the D corps?

Kings were dead last in expected goals for vs. actual so can’t get worse there. Shooting percentage at 6.7%. Oof.

Can Byfield, Kupari etc. actually regress if they haven’t done anything yet?

There’s upside in having very clear issues to address. Don’t think the work that needs to be done is lost on anyone.
    Well, it can ALWAYS be worse. See the majority of the last 5-7 years of Kings hockey, plus the dark days of the mid 00's, if you need a brush down recent memory lane. The regression I am speaking of is the inevitable decline of players like Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick. Say what you will, but without these guys still kicking around, we'd be down at the bottom of the bin with Arizona and Ottawa, if we were relying on the non-existent 'progress' of players like Byfield/Vilardi/Turcotte/Kupari.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    199 Post(s)

Well, it can ALWAYS be worse. See the majority of the last 5-7 years of Kings hockey, plus the dark days of the mid 00's, if you need a brush down recent memory lane. The regression I am speaking of is the inevitable decline of players like Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick. Say what you will, but without these guys still kicking around, we'd be down at the bottom of the bin with Arizona and Ottawa, if we were relying on the non-existent 'progress' of players like Byfield/Vilardi/Turcotte/Kupari.
    That’s not really a take I can argue with much as of now because it totally discounts the quality of moves Blake is yet to make this summer. And it is inevitable he will make moves.

Hard disagree on Doughty. Best season he had in years and only had him for 39 games.

Yes Kopi needs to play less but he was still the points leader yet again. Byfield has to step up, but I don’t think massively so. He scored 10 points in 40 games this season. 30 over a full season is reasonable. 40 and I’ll throw a party. It’s the season after he needs to show a bigger jump.

This season validated that Blake’s plan is capable of an upward trajectory and his offseason moves and last few drafts make me more confident in continued progress over regression. And I love that Todd didn’t sugarcoat anything after losing in round one. He said young players have to grow up fast and he will hold them accountable to that.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1018 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clif View Post
    Thatís not really a take I can argue with much as of now because it totally discounts the quality of moves Blake is yet to make this summer. And it is inevitable he will make moves.

Hard disagree on Doughty. Best season he had in years and only had him for 39 games.

Yes Kopi needs to play less but he was still the points leader yet again. Byfield has to step up, but I donít think massively so. He scored 10 points in 40 games this season. 30 over a full season is reasonable. 40 and Iíll throw a party. Itís the season after he needs to show a bigger jump.

This season validated that Blakeís plan is capable of an upward trajectory and his offseason moves and last few drafts make me more confident in continued progress over regression. And I love that Todd didnít sugarcoat anything after losing in round one. He said young players have to grow up fast and he will hold them accountable to that.
    Yup.

This isn't Little League and this isn't a small market town. We've been rebuilding for some time now, and we made great strides this season...took the Oilers to seven games...overcame many obstacles...blah, blah, blah...and I'm proud of this team...but we have the resources required to take this to the next level, and it's not surprising if the fanbase expects more.

This team's needs are obvious. What we do about those needs remains to be seen. I still like Coach Todd and respect his decision making...for the most part...but some of our personnel decisions have been baffling. If nothing else, this will prove to be an interesting off-season.