Thread: 2022 Offseason Thread

Images
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    673 Post(s)

I think Lemieux was the only one going for it, but bless his little heart doesn't have the skill.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    The final thing is there are legitimate expectations now. Blake and Luc put out the story that it was playoffs or bust at the beginning of last season and they backed it up. That wasn't however the expectation from outside the organization on a wide scale. I can't imagine they aren't going to raise that bar internally and publicly again. The difference is this time more of the fandom is going to believe them and hold them to it. The rest of the NHL is also going to hold them to that. Deals will be made with an eye towards not setting up a California powerhouse. This team will no longer see the backup goaltender on the second night of the B2B (or the first). .
    Prior to the start of the season I was one of the people on here who was 100% all in that the Kings would make the playoffs this year. That said, I fully agree with you that next season will be much harder to repeat that success as teams will now take the Kings a bit more seriously in terms of match ups and competition in the west will get stiffer. Additionally the potential for a sophomore slump in several players may also pose a hurdle as scouting on them is likely to increase.

As big as this season was for the Kings to create an identity, next season will pose a tougher task of solidifying it.

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5195 Post(s)

Among the kids, I think Kupari is ready for a breakout season in ‘22/‘23. In my dreams, I would love to see him at LW with Kempe and Forsberg. Closer to reality, maybe Turcotte will finally be healthy and could center 9 & 89. As The Mayor has said, Turcotte is “sneaky good” and he can keep up with Ras and Juice.

Images
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    673 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    Among the kids, I think Kupari is ready for a breakout season in ‘22/‘23. In my dreams, I would love to see him at LW with Kempe and Forsberg. Closer to reality, maybe Turcotte will finally be healthy and could center 9 & 89. As The Mayor has said, Turcotte is “sneaky good” and he can keep up with Ras and Juice.
    Turcotte was just announced to have suffered his second concussion this season. The poor guy cannot catch a break.

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5195 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Turcotte was just announced to have suffered his second concussion this season. The poor guy cannot catch a break.
    Hope this doesn’t become career-threatening. The kid deserves his shot after so much adversity.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

The guy who hit Turcotte looked like he was trying to impress Scott Stevens. It was a cheap and brutal hit and on plays like that the offender should have to sit until the victim comes back. The report I saw said staff (I assume they were referring to) were concerned.

Turcotte is a super sneaky play maker. Sometimes you have to make sure the linemates have enough hockey I.Q. to be able to anticipate where the play is developing. I saw several times where his teammate had no idea that Turcotte had passed him the puck and it was in the players feet.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    I'm hoping for the best for Turcotte but he's now in his 3rd season post draft and we're talking about how sneaky good he might be. Meanwhile the kid picked right after him looks like he's at worst a 1st pairing D-man for the next 15 years if he stays healthy.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    They just announced it? It was pretty obvious when he got KO'ed and staggered off the ice that he was concussed.

The worst part is Englund got 1 game for that hit. It looked like something out of 1994 with the head as the primary point of contact. At some point the NHL and AHL need to start getting serious about contact to the head-- either intentional or accidental-- with major suspensions for intentional hits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Between Turcotte and Byfield, one of them will hopefully be a great centerman and the other one will be traded in a package for a top 2 defensemen.

The injuries for Turcotte don’t look promising, as we have seen with another highly touted prospect in Villardi who has had injuries slow down his development.
    Last edited by SOBER; May 16th, 2022 at 11:36 PM.

All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2482 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    They just announced it? It was pretty obvious when he got KO'ed and staggered off the ice that he was concussed.

The worst part is Englund got 1 game for that hit. It looked like something out of 1994 with the head as the primary point of contact. At some point the NHL and AHL need to start getting serious about contact to the head-- either intentional or accidental-- with major suspensions for intentional hits.
    Don't kid yourself. You know better than that.
    The NHL went to great lengths not acknowledge any liability in the concussion lawsuit brought by the former players.
    The league's responses to concussions is borderline laughable.

If they were serious, they would have acknowledged their part.
    If they were serious they would ban fighting from the game.
    If they were serious head contact (intentional or unintentional) would be banned from the game, with serious fines and suspensions.

The NHL is not serious about concussions, and truth be told: The fans don't care either. They love to see the opponent's heads get clocked in a fight, or a huge hit.
    Violence is embedded in the game and the culture......violence to the head.

If you take that out of the game, the league fears the amount of fans would be less.
    It's all about the $$$$.

Players are only commodities.
    If you don't like it, let your team know it.

Until the fans demand better for the players they love and cheer for, nothing will happen.