Thread: Media Prediction Thread

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4356 Post(s)

Default Media Prediction Thread

The first media predictions for the season are starting to come out. Please aggregate any links here for discussion:

The Athletic's Dom and Shayna place tiers based on "Top 100 players" here:

NHL Player Tiers: Breaking down each team?s placement in the top 100

The relevant portion to our fans:

Tier 4: Bubble Teams
    5-10 points

Los Angeles, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Vancouver, Nashville, San Jose, Islanders, Columbus, Washington

Nine teams reside in this tier, all of which have some sort of playoff aspiration ? whether those hopes are legitimate or not. Looking at you, San Jose.

Of the nine teams, only two have players residing in Tier 1 or Tier 2. That?s essentially the difference-maker between teams on the right side of the playoff bubble and those on the wrong side. Nashville is one of those teams with Roman Josi all the way in 1C, but the Predators only have one other player on the list: Filip Forsberg in 3B. Columbus is in a similar boat. The Blue Jackets also have a franchise player in Johnny Gaudreau who sees himself in 2B, but only one other inclusion with Zach Werenski in 4B. That?s a one tier difference from Nashville?s duo. Washington is the only other team to make the cut with just two skaters, but both fall in Tier 3 which helps the Capitals stay above the cutoff.

Los Angeles leads the pack with four inclusions. All four of the Kings fall on the low-end of the spectrum which is how they fall just below the cutoff for playoff teams. Drew Doughty is the highest in 3C, followed by three forwards scattered in Tier 4.

The rest of the group has at least three players each, placed somewhere between Tier 3 and Tier 4. Winnipeg and Ottawa have two players each in Tier 3 which puts the two clubs above Vancouver, while the Sharks are the only team here without any player in Tier 3 or higher. Three players in Tier 4 helps keep San Jose afloat here, though the Sharks probably deserve to be closer to the tier below.
    This analysis is based on proven players, not on projected growth from within. Seems the kings are going to need a lot of growth if we are going to cruise to a playoff spot.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)

Yeah I can't really argue with this. EDM, CAL and Vegas may be better next season IMO.

The Kings will need to improve even more from last season to secure a playoff spot...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Kings played entirety of last year with near league-last special teams and D scoring. A slew of high profile injuries. They only had 2/3 of a top line no third line to speak of. Cal’s SV% was less than 900%. And they reached 99 points.

I’m not discounting how tough it’s going to be for this team to make it, but the bar for improvement is so low and in multiple areas that I don’t think people always account for just how bad last year’s team was. Half full or half empty, but to me that makes improvement across numerous areas closer to their reach, not further.

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4356 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clif View Post
    Kings played entirety of last year with near league-last special teams and D scoring. A slew of high profile injuries. They only had 2/3 of a top line no third line to speak of. Cal’s SV% was less than 900%. And they reached 99 points.

I’m not discounting how tough it’s going to be for this team to make it, but the bar for improvement is so low and in multiple areas that I don’t think people always account for just how bad last year’s team was. Half full or half empty, but to me that makes improvement across numerous areas closer to their reach, not further.
    Counter that with the fact that the club played at 0.750 points percentage against the east and likely will not repeat that record in those 32 games. If they do rebound from the lows you point out, but play conventionally against both east and west they may very well tread water in points. Not going to lie, I'll take them playing better hockey overall to get to 99 points, but I'll not expect them to improve on last years number at the same time they are improving as a team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Counter that with the fact that the club played at 0.750 points percentage against the east and likely will not repeat that record in those 32 games. If they do rebound from the lows you point out, but play conventionally against both east and west they may very well tread water in points. Not going to lie, I'll take them playing better hockey overall to get to 99 points, but I'll not expect them to improve on last years number at the same time they are improving as a team.
    100 percent. So many of those East team wins had considerable fortune mixed into them. Tying then beating CLB late, ditto for FL starting with that miracle Frk goal. Sparks managing a win against WSH. Got outplayed handily the second game against MTL but won. Survived the biting major against OTT. Other wins like NYI and NJ they nearly blew after leading. And so on. It’s a long list.

And agreed could definitely see a much better team that doesn’t look like it based on points alone.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)

I predict that someone in the media will use the Sacramento Kings logo when reporting on us.

Registered Redophile King Ludwig's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    640 Post(s)

Over/Under on Faust actually getting the play right some time during the game???

Sizzler Across The Street Rogie-Vachon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1029 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King Ludwig View Post
    Over/Under on Faust actually getting the play right some time during the game???
    Only if JIM FOX says it first...as Alex is a copy catter

What's it doing now? XPantericA's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogie-Vachon View Post
    Only if JIM FOX says it first...as Alex is a copy catter
    ::rubs chin in deep thought:: Or, would he perhaps be a copier cat?

Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1154 Post(s)

I think that they will take steps forward as these young guys continue to get NHL experience. We had better make the playoffs!