All Things: Streaming TV Options

The first shot in the war on cable has officially been fired.

The move pits the premium channel, whose shows routinely draw Emmy nominations and water-cooler buzz, directly against Netflix Inc. (NFLX), which has begun to draw viewers with original programs like “Orange Is the New Black.”

I don't know that they could directly compete until they have much more programming available. But it's definitely something I'd be interested in. My free HBO period ends this month and I planned on canceling. It's not worth the monthly price for the limited movie releases, just to wait for Game of Thrones a few weeks out of the year. Although 47 Ronin was AWESOME (that might have been cinemax).

Isn't this getting crazy though with internet streaming companies signing exclusive deals for movies/shows or original programming? I mean to pay for monthly membership to netflix, amazon prime, hulu plus, hbo go, I feel like I'd almost be paying as much if not more than cable! (almost). At least cable is sort of centralized?

I don't know that they could directly compete until they have much more programming available. But it's definitely something I'd be interested in. My free HBO period ends this month and I planned on canceling. It's not worth the monthly price for the limited movie releases, just to wait for Game of Thrones a few weeks out of the year. Although 47 Ronin was AWESOME (that might have been cinemax).

Isn't this getting crazy though with internet streaming companies signing exclusive deals for movies/shows or original programming? I mean to pay for monthly membership to netflix, amazon prime, hulu plus, hbo go, I feel like I'd almost be paying as much if not more than cable! (almost). At least cable is sort of centralized?

There is the argument con...it's gonna be a wild world out there. HBO being the test case certainly makes it BIG BOY vs BIG BOY rules. How does cable react? Do they threaten to pull HBO from it's subscribers? The only one who gets hurt there is cable. What happens if a couple of the content providers who might not do so good on their own(Starz, Epix...for example) decide to package their streaming content? There will be lawsuits and much gnashing of teeth, hopefully the end result will be good for the consumer, as unlikely as that may be.

I have no faith this would be the case.

Neither do I. Seems odd that these companies are basing their futures on the public having disposable income. Hell, half of them/us don't have any income.

How much will it cost? Will there be same day premieres as the cable/satellite versions or will those be delayed? Many questions.

I read a different article on this that said the price would be the same for service through cable or if it's stand alone. HBO will make more money selling directly with stand alone, but said they won't undercut cable providers.

Any mods...can we streamline by comboing this and the netflix thread?

Hulu to Start Streaming New FX Series Exclusively
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/12/hulu-to-start-streaming-new-fx-series-exclusively/

According to a press release sent out by the SVOD service, Hulu is going to become the exclusive streaming home to new series including Tyrant, The Strain, Married, You’re The Worst, Man Seeking Woman, The Comedians, Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll, Taboo and the upcoming M. Night Shyamalan-produced FOX event series Wayward Pines. In addition, the service will also begin offering non-exclusive streaming to Sons of Anarchy, American Horror Story, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Louie, Archer, The League and Wilfred.

so basically i have to get hulu now so i can catch up on justified

Sorry bobbo, but I think Amazon Prime has Justified locked up willy.

yeah thats where i watched the previous seasons. I kinda figured it would move to hulu. although i did think it was a bit conspicuous that it wasnt mentioned in your article

From my understanding...until Fx got their ducks in a row as far as streaming options, the show creators were allowed to pursue their own options. Fairly considerate if you ask me. Now, I wonder how the Hulu thing is gonna go. Are they going to do like they do with broadcast shows and have the new eps on Hulu shortly after airing? Or is this going to be like on Netflix where they post em up shortly after the season blu/dvds come out? I HAVE to assume thats the case with FxNow getting more coverage(you did have TWC right notbob, cause we have access now...)
The weird thing is Hulu is kinda known...waitaminnit, gotsta read my own crap...

Under the new deal, much like the one AMC currently holds with Netflix, any series Hulu has exclusivity to will become available to viewers just prior to the premiere of a new season. So, for example, season one of The Strain will stream right before season two begins, etc…

Nevermind.

As long as they don't move Archer off of Netflix before I finish getting caught up...

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom