Blackhawks sexual abuse story getting uglier

At this point if Katie Strang comes to interview anyone in your organization you should probably lawyer up. Great reporter but she's definitely gonna find some dirt.

Disgusting, especially that last paragraph. ��

This is probably an oversimplification but, sigh, here goes:
Remove the statute on all crimes against minors in all states (and provinces) and have a company policy in place where there is zero bureaucratic red tape on this issue. The first adult to hear a complaint of this nature, it is your job to call the police right then, boom, it's on the record. Yes it will be messy for the organization but they're children, you're profiting off of them at very least keep them safe from sexual abuse.

And, I know,I know defamation lawsuits. Eff it. If you catch nine pedofiles and defend one wrongful defamation lawsuit, so be it. Have a more efficient vetting process. Hot take: if you're an evil person, you should have nowhere to hide, find the loopholes and fix them.

Remove the statute on all crimes against minors in all states (and provinces) and have a company policy in place where there is zero bureaucratic red tape on this issue. The first adult to hear a complaint of this nature, it is your job to call the police right then, boom, it's on the record. Yes it will be messy for the organization but they're children, you're profiting off of them at very least keep them safe from sexual abuse.

And, I know,I know defamation lawsuits. Eff it. If you catch nine pedofiles and defend one wrongful defamation lawsuit, so be it. Have a more efficient vetting process. Hot take: if you're an evil person, you should have nowhere to hide, find the loopholes and fix them.
Well, this would not have helped here because the allegation against the Blackhawks was not made by minors.

Unfortunately it is an oversimplification because certain delayed discovery rules can toll a statute. Also, reporting criminal activity is absolutely protected against defamation (at least here in California; see Civil Code Section 47).

The Blackhawks situation follows many other similar situations where an organization has an opportunity to do the morally proper thing at the risk of adverse publicity. So, instead of doing the morally proper act, they opt to bury it. Then it comes to bite them in the rear because they didn't do the morally proper act.

And it should bite them. As an organization, you cannot prevent every single person from doing a nefarious act. You can put in roadblocks and make it difficult and provide people with avenues of redress. But it is quite telling about organizations that opt to bury the nefarious act instead of taking action against the actor.

Unfortunately it is an oversimplification because certain delayed discovery rules can toll a statute. Also, reporting criminal activity is absolutely protected against defamation (at least here in California; see Civil Code Section 47).

The Blackhawks situation follows many other similar situations where an organization has an opportunity to do the morally proper thing at the risk of adverse publicity. So, instead of doing the morally proper act, they opt to bury it. Then it comes to bite them in the rear because they didn't do the morally proper act.

And it should bite them. As an organization, you cannot prevent every single person from doing a nefarious act. You can put in roadblocks and make it difficult and provide people with avenues of redress. But it is quite telling about organizations that opt to bury the nefarious act instead of taking action against the actor.

X: Thank you for the clarity; this is of course a complex issue with a ton of moving parts. Understood. Appreciate the information.

Being mad, sad and doing zero research on a topic of substance was not the move. Will stick to posts with gifs, reggae songs and Blake bashing in the future. =)

To add a little to your post, when minor children (17 and under) are concerned CA does have a "Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA)" PC 11164 thru 11174.3 which defines certain professions as "Mandated Reporters." A list of those Mandated reporters can be found under PC 11165.7. There are criminal penalties for failing to report suspected cases of child abuse that fall under the CANRA act.

Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act

List of CA Mandated Reporters

#42 and #44 on the mandated reporter list deal with school athletic personnel. Seeing that these were Blackhawk players I will assume they were at least 18 years old so CANRA (or a Illinois equivalent) would not apply.

As far as adult sexual assaults in CA, PC 11160 states only medical personnel who are treating the victims of the sexual assault are considered mandated reporters.

So the CA laws are there with crimes that can be charged for failing to report but cases like this will continue to occur despite the intentions of the laws to protect the victims.

I'm still surprised that Roenick didn't put out a tweet on this...

and uglier...

https://twitter.com/benpopecst/status/1418325746884431873?s=21

A new, amended version of the John Doe 1 lawsuit against the Blackhawks provides significant new details about Bradley Aldrich's alleged 2010 assault of the Hawks player. Aldrich allegedly threatened the player with a baseball bat before forcing nonconsensual sex.

In the years following the abuse of Plaintiff, JOHN DOE, by Aldrich, Plaintiff was subjected to humiliating trash talking by his teammates during scrimmages where coaches were present. Defendant, the BLACKHAWKS, by and through its agents, permitted its players to repeatedly harass Plaintiffby calling him a "fa****," asking if he couldn't focus because he "wanted to suck someone off," and commenting that he should "go suck a d***," among other similar harassing statements.

Holy crap, that's..... I mean the goat****er joke is funny, but that's cuz it's not real.

Just got really ugly today. Bowman out of Chicago and also the US Men's Olympic team. Coach Q, amongst others, knew as well and apparently wanted to keep it quiet as to not hurt the team during their cup run. He will be talking to the NHL and I do wonder if he survives in Florida. If he truly knew and did nothing, time for him to step down as well.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom