Exit Interviews - **Added Rob and Luc Interview from Today (5/6)**

At 5:00 it gets interesting when he’s asked about the 1-3-1. it takes him a minute but he does say something insightful here. He makes a statement about how the system is different from any other system he’s played in because it forces him to think instead of just react at times. I don’t think anyone has ever called him a high hockey IQ player so maybe a change will enable him to be more decisive.

Last edited:
At 5:00 it gets interesting when he’s asked about the 1-3-1. it takes him a minute but he does say something insightful here. He makes a statement about how the system is different from any other system he’s played in because it forces him to think instead of just react at times. I don’t think anyone has ever call him a high hockey IQ player so maybe a change will enable him to be more decisive.
Agreed, it is no secret that most players play their best hockey when they do not actively take time to "think" on the ice but instead it just comes naturally/instinctively and flows.

He also made a good point around struggling his first season in Winnipeg, and working to improve and having a much better season each season thereafter. He seems like a slow player to adjust to new things, and it showed this season with the Kings.

Really thought it was a good interview and the Kings would be silly to buy him out.

Agreed, it is no secret that most players play their best hockey when they do not actively take time to "think" on the ice but instead it just comes naturally/instinctively and flows.

He also made a good point around struggling his first season in Winnipeg, and working to improve and having a much better season each season thereafter. He seems like a slow player to adjust to new things, and it showed this season with the Kings.

Really thought it was a good interview and the Kings would be silly to buy him out.
I have gone back and forth on this topic.
I understood the move, thought it made sense, and have had patience with PL throughout the season.
I am conflicted about moving him or a buy out.

What really causes me trouble is that I honestly think PL is a decent guy, honest, and wants to honor the commitment the team made.

I agree he was far from the player we need him to be. He did not have anything close to a good season.

I’ve mentioned that I think he was mishandled and not put in a position where success was easy.

It seems pretty clear that he is a bit fragile mentally. But I certainly get the impression from this interview that he is going to do the work to succeed.

If PL can rebound (as he did in Winnipeg) and he can be a 60-80 point player, he is worth the contract.

Yep, IF…

I’ve wanted him to be successful because that’s best for this team.

I can absolutely understand and accept the opposing views on PL. It’s a big issue and it’s vital the org gets this right. There is a very narrow window to make this go away (although I don’t know what that means in concrete terms). A buyout is a cap hit for over a decade. A trade brings exactly what I’m return? The shedding of $’s and term is obviously a big part of this.

I guess after thinking about it the past few days, and changing my mind at least a few a times, I’m finally on board with keeping him.

It’s a tough call. There are lots of good reasons to move on from PL. I just think there is enough upside in keeping him. I am clear on the downside, we all are aware.

I have gone back and forth on this topic.
I understood the move, thought it made sense, and have had patience with PL throughout the season.
I am conflicted about moving him or a buy out.

What really causes me trouble is that I honestly think PL is a decent guy, honest, and wants to honor the commitment the team made.

I agree he was far from the player we need him to be. He did not have anything close to a good season.

I’ve mentioned that I think he was mishandled and not put in a position where success was easy.

It seems pretty clear that he is a bit fragile mentally. But I certainly get the impression from this interview that he is going to do the work to succeed.

If PL can rebound (as he did in Winnipeg) and he can be a 60-80 point player, he is worth the contract.

Yep, IF…

I’ve wanted him to be successful because that’s best for this team.

I can absolutely understand and accept the opposing views on PL. It’s a big issue and it’s vital the org gets this right. There is a very narrow window to make this go away (although I don’t know what that means in concrete terms). A buyout is a cap hit for over a decade. A trade brings exactly what I’m return? The shedding of $’s and term is obviously a big part of this.

I guess after thinking about it the past few days, and changing my mind at least a few a times, I’m finally on board with keeping him.

It’s a tough call. There are lots of good reasons to move on from PL. I just think there is enough upside in keeping him. I am clear on the downside, we all are aware.
I wasn't in favor of the trade when it happened, and even less so in favor of the money and term we signed him to. That said, I think he will pay large dividends once Kopitar either retires or begins to fade out. This is the only positive view I can think of which made Blake pull the trigger (who perhaps has been surprised, along with others, that Kopitar has yet to fade out and still remains a legitimate top line center).

I agree with you that PLD appears to be a good guy who really does want to succeed and is willing to put the work in, but appears to be a bit fragile mentally. Heck I don't know how any player who had a season like he did, considering the expectations he came in with, who wouldn't lose confidence. He mentioned several times in the interview how much he appreciated DJ and the time he spent with him. My guess is that PLD also requires a certain communication style to get through to him, which Todd did not have.

In the end, I don't see a very positive outcome of either buying him out or attempting to trade him (knowing we will need to give up assets and/or retain salary to do so). It's great to think "What would have happened if we waiting to make a run at either Reinhart or Guentzel" but unfortunately we are in the situation we are in and, in my opinion, keeping him and working with him to improve his game is the best path forward.

I wasn't in favor of the trade when it happened, and even less so in favor of the money and term we signed him to. That said, I think he will pay large dividends once Kopitar either retires or begins to fade out. This is the only positive view I can think of which made Blake pull the trigger (who perhaps has been surprised, along with others, that Kopitar has yet to fade out and still remains a legitimate top line center).

I agree with you that PLD appears to be a good guy who really does want to succeed and is willing to put the work in, but appears to be a bit fragile mentally. Heck I don't know how any player who had a season like he did, considering the expectations he came in with, who wouldn't lose confidence. He mentioned several times in the interview how much he appreciated DJ and the time he spent with him. My guess is that PLD also requires a certain communication style to get through to him, which Todd did not have.

In the end, I don't see a very positive outcome of either buying him out or attempting to trade him (knowing we will need to give up assets and/or retain salary to do so). It's great to think "What would have happened if we waiting to make a run at either Reinhart or Guentzel" but unfortunately we are in the situation we are in and, in my opinion, keeping him and working with him to improve his game is the best path forward.
Never liked the idea of a buy out, especially now. Why not wait another season and see if things improve. I brought up trading him this year as a better option, though I cannot see the team doing that and get nothing much in return.

Back
Top Bottom