Exit Interviews - **Added Rob and Luc Interview from Today (5/6)**

Considering this is the third year in a row this team has been dumped out of the playoffs by the same team, I have to say I am appalled at the seemingly resigned, shoulder-shrugging apathy on display in these interviews.

I'm sure the players are feeling jaded and dejected after their third consecutive unceremonious dismissal from the tournament at the hands of the same team and I do realise they can't wash dirty laundry in public, but I did at least expect to glean some sense of underlying anger and frustration from their demeanor and responses. No sense of gritted teeth in their responses at all. Maybe it's me, but all I got was a sense of weary, apathetic resignation in the acceptance of this year's repeated failure.

After all, it's pretty damned embarrasssing (isn't it?) when this organization, come playoff time, continues, yet again, to show zero progress for the third time of asking against the same opponent and, looking to the future, with that winner Dubois now taking a critical chunk out of the salary cap space, it's extremely demoralizing too.

To my mind, if all of this isn't the most damning indictment of Rob Blake's leadership record, then I don't what know else could be.

Considering this is the third year in a row this team has been dumped out of the playoffs by the same team, I have to say I am appalled at the seemingly resigned, shoulder-shrugging apathy on display in these interviews.

I'm sure the players are feeling jaded and dejected after their third consecutive unceremonious dismissal from the tournament at the hands of the same team and I do realise they can't wash dirty laundry in public, but I did at least expect to glean some sense of underlying anger and frustration from their demeanor and responses. No sense of gritted teeth in their responses at all. Maybe it's me, but all I got was a sense of weary, apathetic resignation in the acceptance of this year's repeated failure.

After all, it's pretty damned embarrasssing (isn't it?) when this organization, come playoff time, continues, yet again, to show zero progress for the third time of asking against the same opponent and, looking to the future, with that winner Dubois now taking a critical chunk out of the salary cap space, it's extremely demoralizing too.

To my mind, if all of this isn't the most damning indictment of Rob Blake's leadership record, then I don't what know else could be.
Two things.....

Maybe deep down they knew they were not the better team going into the playoffs. If they think they can/should win and fail, they would be more upset with the outcome. If going in they felt they had a slim chance to win, well then when you fail there is less anger.

I and others on this board did not expect them to win. I gave them maybe a 60% chance of being swept, and a 40% chance of winning one single game. They did better than I expected.

Also, maybe it is part what I said above and part not wanting to air "dirty laundry in public".

It’s evident that some players want to play a more open aggressive style, which I think would bode better against Edmonton.The Oilers they have more than just McJesus capable of breaking down the 1-3-1z.

We had a defend the net philosophy before Sutter, and come February of 2012, he tweaked it and that brought dividends. There is nothing that prevents us from playing more aggressively, then shifting back to the 1-3-1 when it suits.

Not having appropriate 3rd and 4th liners come playoff time is problematic.

At 5:00 it gets interesting when he’s asked about the 1-3-1. it takes him a minute but he does say something insightful here. He makes a statement about how the system is different from any other system he’s played in because it forces him to think instead of just react at times. I don’t think anyone has ever called him a high hockey IQ player so maybe a change will enable him to be more decisive.

i can't not stare at the giant butterfly on his arm

It’s evident that some players want to play a more open aggressive style, which I think would bode better against Edmonton.The Oilers they have more than just McJesus capable of breaking down the 1-3-1z.

We had a defend the net philosophy before Sutter, and come February of 2012, he tweaked it and that brought dividends. There is nothing that prevents us from playing more aggressively, then shifting back to the 1-3-1 when it suits.

Not having appropriate 3rd and 4th liners come playoff time is problematic.
Playing a rigid trap by any name is playing the game with one arm tied behind your back.

Your best opportunities to score come from your opponent’s mistakes. It’s passive hockey and it sucks to watch for 82+ games. I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be for a creative player like Fiala.

If Blake doesn’t fix the blue line and move away from 4 d-men who can’t exit their zone cleanly it truly doesn’t matter the coach he hires or keeps. The Kings will be a first round exit next season, at best.

I don’t know that this is the right response to the player interviews.

It’s a tough time for the players. The expectations were greater than the result. The series was humbling for the team and organization.

A couple days after the season ended the players are asked to answer media questions.

There is a lot of uncertainty right now. Is the GM getting fired? Is the Coach getting fired? Are players getting resigned or released? Are players getting traded?

All this in the background and players are being asked questions that they have to be careful in answering. They can’t point fingers at other players nor can they really go public with any possible criticisms of the organization, the coaching or the systems.

I thought the players were acting responsibly and it was pretty clear they were staying in their lanes.

Losing is not fun. As a player it’s an admission that they were not good enough. As I said, it is humbling. Players hate facing that.

What I saw from these interviews were players trying to began accepting the hard truths. And they are also facing the potential of a tumultuous offseason.

I’m not sure what else these guys could have done or said. I felt they took responsibility, accepted the shortcomings and dealt with their team and personal disappointment.

These public exit interviews are not the time to air grievances or set the building on fire. Some of the issues may be addressed within the room or in direct private meetings within the organization. Not everything is for us fans to know.

I don’t know that this is the right response to the player interviews.

It’s a tough time for the players. The expectations were greater than the result. The series was humbling for the team and organization.

A couple days after the season ended the players are asked to answer media questions.

There is a lot of uncertainty right now. Is the GM getting fired? Is the Coach getting fired? Are players getting resigned or released? Are players getting traded?

All this in the background and players are being asked questions that they have to be careful in answering. They can’t point fingers at other players nor can they really go public with any possible criticisms of the organization, the coaching or the systems.

I thought the players were acting responsibly and it was pretty clear they were staying in their lanes.

Losing is not fun. As a player it’s an admission that they were not good enough. As I said, it is humbling. Players hate facing that.

What I saw from these interviews were players trying to began accepting the hard truths. And they are also facing the potential of a tumultuous offseason.

I’m not sure what else these guys could have done or said. I felt they took responsibility, accepted the shortcomings and dealt with their team and personal disappointment.

These public exit interviews are not the time to air grievances or set the building on fire. Some of the issues may be addressed within the room or in direct private meetings within the organization. Not everything is for us fans to know.
I take what all you guys and gals and whoever/whatever else, of course, say and I try to learn from everything I read here, but this is the same outcome for the third straight year! Whilst I feel kind of the same way about the interviews themselves, I then find myself wondering what the point of them actually is if all they are able to say is "it's all our fault" and "we believe in our system" and "we have to do better next time".

I fully appreciate that in one's disappointment, it's easy to be harsh in one's judgment, especially when I am not out on the ice trying to do it, and I am totally guilty of that, I know, but this is just the way it is for us and for them.

It's just that no-one has said in any way shape or form (I realise they cannot flat out say this, but...) "I promise you that we will somehow find a way to next time beat these guys...". Maybe they don't believe they'll ever beat them or maybe they just take it for granted that the law of averages dictates that at some point they simply must, but even in the face of what is beginning to seem like perpetuity, I just want to hear a little "dog" and defiance in defeat.

Third time around, merely assuming they feel it, is not enough. I want to hear them say it out loud. I support them because I believe in these players and I believe in this team. I just want to hear that they still believe in themselves. I hear Kopi say that if he didn't want the captaincy he wouldn't be here...well, there anyway...doing it. I know that, we all do, it shows in the way he conducts himself, in the plays he makes and in the way he plays the game, but I found it uplifting, even in his obvious disappointment, to hear him say it out loud and with obvious pride too. In adversity I want to hear and feel the same type of commitment and pride from some of the other players too, that's all. Maybe I'm being childish about it, but after yet another massive let down against those bums, and in pretty much the exact same fashion too, I just want to witness some "fist on the table" from our guys, you know?

I take what all you guys and gals and whoever/whatever else, of course, say and I try to learn from everything I read here, but this is the same outcome for the third straight year! Whilst I feel kind of the same way about the interviews themselves, I then find myself wondering what the point of them actually is if all they are able to say is "it's all our fault" and "we believe in our system" and "we have to do better next t

I fully appreciate that in one's disappointment, it's easy to be harsh in one's judgment, especially when I am not out on the ice trying to do it, and I am totally guilty of that, I know, but this is just the way it is for us and for them.

It's just that no-one has said in any way shape or form (I realise they cannot flat out say this, but...) "I promise you that we will somehow find a way to next time beat these guys...". Maybe they don't believe they'll ever beat them or maybe they just take it for granted that the law of averages dictates that at some point they simply must, but even in the face of what is beginning to seem like perpetuity, I just want to hear a little "dog" and defiance in defeat.

Third time around, merely assuming they feel it, is not enough. I want to hear them say it out loud. I support them because I believe in these players and I believe in this team. I just want to hear that they still believe in themselves. I hear Kopi say that if he didn't want the captaincy he wouldn't be here...well, there anyway...doing it. I know that, we all do, it shows in the way he conducts himself, in the plays he makes and in the way he plays the game, but I found it uplifting, even in his obvious disappointment, to hear him say it out loud and with obvious pride too. In adversity I want to hear and feel the same type of commitment and pride from some of the other players too, that's all. Maybe I'm being childish about it, but after yet another massive let down against those bums, and in pretty much the exact same fashion too, I just want to witness some "fist on the table" from our guys, you know?
There is frustration all around at this point.
But you’ve questioned the main part which is “what’s the point of them…”.
These are just standard media ops that really don’t serve a true purpose.
No one is accusing you of grind childish. We all deal with disappointments in our own manner.
I’m not sure this is the time for defiance from players when they are dealing with the loss and just fulfilling the obligatory media agenda.
And again, they are all keeping their personal feelings to themselves.

No one is accusing you of grind childish. We all deal with disappointments in our own manner.
I’m not sure this is the time for defiance from players when they are dealing with the loss and just fulfilling the obligatory media agenda.
Agree with all this. Something else to consider is the NHL culture. Players are expected to defer to management and coaching. Players are expected to stay in their lane. Players are expected to bite their tongue when a microphone is placed in front of them. There just isn’t any incentive to speak out because the backlash will be immediate and lasting.

Think back to January when Drew gave a pretty mundane critique of the team after an embarrassing Buffalo loss. Cookie night was literally the #1 story about the Kings for weeks until TM was fired.

Drew Doughty has the resume and the paycheck where he can get away with a relatively tame public critique but there just aren’t others players on the roster who seek or can get away with the type of media attention that would come with speaking out.

When exactly is anyone on the payroll accountable for failing to meet public expectations?

When exactly is anyone on the payroll accountable for failing to meet public expectations?
Dean and Darryl didn’t lose their jobs until the team became a laughing stock. I’d say the league isn’t laughing at the Kings right now. They’re too irrelevant.

Dean and Darryl didn’t lose their jobs until the team became a laughing stock. I’d say the league isn’t laughing at the Kings right now. They’re too irrelevant.
I think most of the current front office was also on the payroll when the team was a laughingstock.

Im not advocating for an accountability-free environment. I’m merely pointing out that the players aren’t going to participate in the media dog-and-pony show and flog the GM, Coach or teammates.
These interviews showed (at least to me) that the players realized they did not meet expectations and I took some of their comments as the beginning of a self-evaluation and vow to spend their off seasons working to be ready to be better next year.

Unfortunately the only way these corporate entities acting as NHL Owners and those they hire will face any public accountability is in the Board Rooms.
As fans our only ‘power’ is refusing to be fans/customers if we have reached the point that we don’t participate.

I’m not really sure there is any way realistically speaking that allows the players to accommodate every fan reaction. But I think it was clear that the players were not proud of their performance.

I get the negativity with this team. My personal reaction was being at Game 3 and leaving the arena halfway through the third period. I was disgusted. But I can’t say I didn’t see it coming. Still made for a long walk back to the car. But I didn’t have to wait for the end of Game 5. It was obvious early in by Game 3.

Speaking only for myself, I don’t need a pound of flesh for my disappointment. Nothing I’ve heard since the series ended is going to change a thing. That’s up to the org in the off-season and the players to show up next year and be better.

Never liked the idea of a buy out, especially now. Why not wait another season and see if things improve. I brought up trading him this year as a better option, though I cannot see the team doing that and get nothing much in return.
Because buying him out now requires them to pay out only 1/3 of the total contract. After June 24 that becomes 2/3 of the total contract. If you're not buying him out now, you're not buying him out.

Because buying him out now requires them to pay out only 1/3 of the total contract. After June 24 that becomes 2/3 of the total contract. If you're not buying him out now, you're not buying him out.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Had not even looked into that. A trade for a bag of pucks would be the better route either way.

Remember the beginning of the season when the Kings were competing w the Rangers for best record in the league? And the Oilers looked like they’d miss the playoffs??

Yeah… me neither.

About 14 minutes in someone asked a great question about Kopitar and Doughty. To paraphrase: over the last 20 years no Stanley Cup winning team has ever had 35+ year old players lead their team in ice time. How are the Kings with Kopitar and Doughty different? Rob with a 100% spin answer. Something about Byfield taking the next step. lol.

Back
Top Bottom