***LA Kings @ Winnipeg Jets GDT 4/2/22 4:00pm on BSW***

I was going to say Spence is definitely being overlooked because Durzi is a little flashier/bigger personality. Hope they both continue to improve, but if I had to put money on only one, it's Spence.

I would have to say Spence's success has made it impossible for his play to be overlooked or overshadowed. That kid has game. Just wish he had size. But I said the same thing about Whitey Stapleton when he first came up on the Bruins way back in the dark ages.

Spence is a keeper. Durzi is a bright shiny object to be used in getting that Top 4 LD or a scoring forward to complement Kopi and Juice. Clarke, Faber and Grans are just a whisper away from joining the big team. More than one among the RD pool will be gone this summer.

I would have to say Spence's success has made it impossible for his play to be overlooked or overshadowed. That kid has game. Just wish he had size. But I said the same thing about Whitey Stapleton when he first came up on the Bruins way back in the dark ages.

Spence is a keeper. Durzi is a bright shiny object to be used in getting that Top 4 LD or a scoring forward to complement Kopi and Juice. Clarke, Faber and Grans are just a whisper away from joining the big team. More than one among the RD pool will be gone this summer.

Agreed about this summer and if Durzi is shiny enough he could be a main piece to get what you really want in return. If he keeps getting attention, who knows - Chycrun for Durzi plus?

No. He has awful instincts in the defensive zone. His gap control is terrible. His defensive zone coverage is terrible. He can be taught to be better, but he'll never be good. Just like offensive awareness - you either have it or you don't. Durzi is the anti-Doughty. Doughty is not some amazing physical specimen, but when he's on his game, every instinct he has in the defensive zone is the right one. He's a hockey savant. Durzi is the exact opposite. Every instinct Durzi has is the wrong one. I don't think he'll be around very much longer.

No doubt. With his 26 minutes TOI, killing penalties, protecting 1 goal leads at the end of games, showing an infectious spirit, stepping up to protect teammates, all this in a season that started in the AHL. Not to mention demonstrating offense instincts not seen in these parts from a defenseman in decades. Oh - and the team is winning games to the tune of being second in their division. Yeah like you say Claws - he’s got one foot out the door.

Last edited:
Like I have said before, I am glad nobody on LGK is the GM for the LA Kings.

I agree. Spence and Durzi are very similar players and between the two of them you have to pick one, but Spence appears to have equally good offensive instincts but less glaring defensive issues and a better shot. I've been impressed with him since seeing him at the World Jrs. The kid is smooth and just doesn't panic.

Teams have already figured out that Durzi's slap shot is not very dangerous and are beginning to sag away from him when he is on the blue line in the offensive zone. And the ultimate question is whether there's room for either Durzi or Spence with Clarke coming up, who is an offensive wunderkind and considerably bigger than either of them. So right now on the right side you've got Doughty, Roy, Walker, Durzi, Spence, Clarke, Faber and Grans. I imagine Walker is gone by next season; I don't know about Roy. Doughty is not going anywhere obviously. I suspect Roy will stick around for another season, so that leaves one spot for five guys in the immediate future. The brass is supposedly expecting Clarke to win a starting spot, and Faber is very close to ready, but I think they'll want him in the minors next season at least before he takes over for Roy as the steady defensive defenseman. That would leave Spence/Durzi as fourth and fifth in line for the right side D-man. You can't keep them waiting around for Doughty's retirement. They may ultimately both need to be traded if Clarke and Faber get plugged into those right-side spots.

I agree. Spence and Durzi are very similar players and between the two of them you have to pick one, but Spence appears to have equally good offensive instincts but less glaring defensive issues and a better shot. I've been impressed with him since seeing him at the World Jrs. The kid is smooth and just doesn't panic.

Teams have already figured out that Durzi's slap shot is not very dangerous and are beginning to sag away from him when he is on the blue line in the offensive zone. And the ultimate question is whether there's room for either Durzi or Spence with Clarke coming up, who is an offensive wunderkind and considerably bigger than either of them. So right now on the right side you've got Doughty, Roy, Walker, Durzi, Spence, Clarke, Faber and Grans. I imagine Walker is gone by next season; I don't know about Roy. Doughty is not going anywhere obviously. I suspect Roy will stick around for another season, so that leaves one spot for five guys in the immediate future. The brass is supposedly expecting Clarke to win a starting spot, and Faber is very close to ready, but I think they'll want him in the minors next season at least before he takes over for Roy as the steady defensive defenseman. That would leave Spence/Durzi as fourth and fifth in line for the right side D-man. You can't keep them waiting around for Doughty's retirement. They may ultimately both need to be traded if Clarke and Faber get plugged into those right-side spots.

Implicit in there is that Blake is going to use up as much time as he possibly can to get there. I'm not sure that I can think of another instance where a team was fortunate to have so many graduates that could actually make other rosters at once in a position. Maybe when San Jose was reeling off goalies? Walker for as nice an article as Dillman and Wheeler wrote about him has to figure if he's in camp next year his agent might need to be working the phones for him. I'd be happy if Roy spelled a youngin or if they saw fit to ride with Spence/Durzi and or Faber/Clarke.
For as much anticipation there is about Clarke I'm not going to be surprised one bit if he's not on the big club. Remember not everyone is Doughty. For all the irreverent stories about Doughty he was definitely mature enough to be in the league because he knew how to be a pro. Not every kid with talent gets that.

For as much anticipation there is about Clarke I'm not going to be surprised one bit if he's not on the big club. Remember not everyone is Doughty. For all the irreverent stories about Doughty he was definitely mature enough to be in the league because he knew how to be a pro. Not every kid with talent gets that.

I wouldn't be surprised either. He could miss having a spot on the club because of his weird skating stride and because of deficiencies in his defensive game as well. However, FWIW, I haven't read anything which suggests the kid doesn't have his head screwed on right. He went and played in a pro league in Slovakia during the COVID shutdown and the coach had nothing but praise for him. He went to have a chance to play with his older brother who was on the team, but the brother left soon after to play in the AHL and Brandt stuck around. Pretty tough assignment for a 17-year-old kid in a foreign country and he seemed to pass the test with flying colors.

No doubt. With his 26 minutes TOI, killing penalties, protecting 1 goal leads at the end of games, showing an infectious spirit, stepping up to protect teammates, all this in a season that started in the AHL. Not to mention demonstrating offense instincts not seen in these parts from a defenseman in decades. Oh - and the team is winning games to the tune of being second in their division. Yeah like you say Claws - he’s got one foot out the door.

I was thinking the same thing. Where are the Kings going to come up with a guy who plays 26+ minutes a game (3 in a row), runs the point on PP1, and stands up for his teammates? Durzi makes some mistakes but the coaches clearly trust him to play huge minutes.

Back
Top Bottom